Top 7 cities for retiring in Thailand

webfact

Top 7 Cities For Retiring In Thailand
By Jean Folger

Known for its white sand beaches, crystal clear water and beautiful climate, plus its ruins of ancient kingdoms, many present-day temples and, of course, Thai cuisine, Thailand offers a mix of everything from vibrant cosmopolitan cities to quiet waterside towns. Over the years, Thailand has turned into a popular destination for expats in search of a change of scenery, new cultural experiences, affordable health care, possible tax benefits and a lower cost of living during retirement. Here, we take a look at seven of the top cities in Thailand for retirees. (You may also be interested in Plan Your Retirement Abroad and Things To Consider Before Retiring Abroad.)

PEACEFUL RETIREMENT: KRABI TOWN
Steven LePoidevin, InternationalLiving.com Thailand Correspondent, names Krabi Town – a riverside town that features a number of cozy cafes and inexpensive restaurants – as Thailand’s best city if you’re looking for a peaceful retirement. Krabi is a small town on the west coast of southern Thailand, situated along the banks of the Krabi River where it empties into Phang Nga Bay. According to LePoidevin, Krabi boasts not only an affordable cost of living, but a low crime rate as well. The international community is like a small town: With just 2000 to 3000 westerners in residence during the high season (November to April), it can soon seem that everyone knows everyone, but at the same time, according to the local blog Yourkrabi.com, it can be "cliquey," and there's no organized expat social club, just some favorite local gathering spots.

There are plenty of ways to enjoy the area’s natural beauty. “Nearby hot springs, sea caves, coral reefs and exotic marine life, and limestone cliffs that draw rock climbing enthusiasts from around the world are a few of the attractions,” says LePoidevin. “Accessible national parks include the island paradises of Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. And beach life is never too far away, with Ao Nang, a seaside strip of guesthouses, hotels, bars, restaurants, and Noppharat Thara, whose quiet, shady beach is part of the national park that includes the Phi Phi Islands.”

ADVENTUROUS RETIREMENT: CHIANG MAI
When asked which city is the best for an adventurous retirement, LePoidevin says, “Any place in the country! Life as an expat is always an adventure.” True, living abroad is an adventure in itself, and each day can bring something new – and push the limits of your comfort zone. After all, you’ll be experiencing a new culture, a new language, new customs, new foods – maybe new everything. As far as adventure activities – beyond the daily adventure inherent to living abroad – northern Thailand’s mountainous terrain is a natural setting for everything from whitewater rafting and kayaking, to mountain biking and jungle trekking.

The city of Chiang Mai, considered the cultural heart of northern Thailand, is often associated with adventure because of its proximity to these outdoor pursuits. Located about 400 miles north of Bangkok, Chiang Mai sits among the country’s highest mountains and made the list in TripAdvisor’s “25 Best Destinations in the World” in 2012. And when you feel like a city fix, Chiang Mai offers museums, nightlife, international restaurants, shopping, and more than 300 Buddhist temples. The international community is large, with about 40,000 people from around the globe living here, according to the detailed online guide, One Stop Chiang Mai,

STRONG EXPAT COMMUNITIES: BOTH CHIANG MAI AND HUA HIN
Chiang Mai is home to a large number of long-term retired expats, both singles and couples. “Chiang Mai has a very active expats club that meets monthly, dozens of expat clubs and interest groups that meet weekly, and frequent expat breakfast get-togethers,” says LePoidevin. Since Thailand is a popular retirement destination, however, Chiang Mai is not the only city with a strong expat community. “Another popular city for expats is Hua Hin, as well as the smaller towns to the north and south of this well-known beachside resort,” explains LePoidevin.

Hua Hin was once a quiet fishing village, but after Thailand’s royal family built a vacation home on the shore in the 1920s, it attracted nearby Bangkok’s elite, who in turn established a community of vacation homes along Hua Hin’s wide, sandy beaches. Today, Hua Hin has a well-developed expat community, who enjoy the area’s small-town feel, flourishing restaurant scene, sea breezes and reasonable cost of living.

Full story: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/041615/top-7-cities-retiring-thailand.asp

-- INVESTOPEDIA 2015-04-17

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "vacation areas" of Thailand are very nice for a vacation.

I do not think the "vacation areas" are the best places to retire or reside.

Unless you have a need to be surrounded by foreigners that are just like yourself.

I think it is better to live in and learn about Thailand.

and then visit the tourist areas when you need a break.

Forget retiring in the cities.

Life is so much better in the villages, quiet , no noisy farangs drunk wearing vests, being loud borish.

Village life with only like minded retired expats like me will do for me.

Great if you want to live like a native, Thai food only, no watering holes, no English spoken. no hospitals or good doctors, no vets etc. etc. Tried it for a while then realised what I was missing...a life...give me Chiang Mai anyday.

What's happened to Nongkhai? It was once ranked no. 7 in the world for retirement!

This is the usual silly ranking nonsense. Everybody likes different things. To some people, Pattaya is heaven; to others, it's hell.

Edited by isanbirder

Krabi? Fine for a visit, but not a place to retire to. No geriatric healthcare facilities to speak of, and limited trauma facilities.

Chiang Mai? Lots to do, a vibrant farang community, but one has to clear out for a few months every year as the poisonous smoke clouds descend. During burning season, it is not a place for those with pulmonary conditions or those who want to be outdoors. Dengue and malaria have a higher incidence in the Chiang Mai region than the other big older crowd destinations. When it's hot, one longs to go for a walk at the beach, and sadly there is none. For those who love politics, one can always meet up with the Redshirts and talk about the good old days. wink.png

Hua Hin? I like it. A welcome respite and very different world than much of Thailand. Free of the touts, hookers and thieving tuk tuks that plague places like Phuket and even Krabi. It's a family town, a cut above the rest of the other Thai resort cities. It comes at a cost though. Prices are higher than in Chiang Mai. One can be out in the country in less than 30 minutes and there are many interesting places to go all within a short distance. However, one needs a car for that and this is where Hua Hin's downside is: It's a one road city, a road that is constantly given to gridlock. In the past year I have seen 2 pedestrians mowed down and a dog sitting on a curb. Hua Hin gets boring after awhile. The restaurants are ok, and have better fish than Chiang Mai. Plus, there is the ocean, as long as you don't mind the jelly fish and avoid the sewage tainted main beach areas. No lifeguards, but less than 15 jet skis over 5 km of beach, and one is spared the beach crime of Pattaya and Phuket. Long beaches to walk that are never crowded. A good selection of hospitals to treat the ailments of aging, provided an ambulance can get to you if having a stroke or heart attack. Once again the traffic is a factor, and people probably die while lying on a gurney during transport. Hua Hin attracts a better quality of foreigner, more mature in mind and body and they tend to be more civil, although aloof. Hua Hin certainly isn't for the adventurous, and leans more to the golf and tennis crowd. However, if that's what one enjoys then Hua Hin is for you. All I know is that it is a pleasure not to have to worry about muggings and the tuk tuk thugs or desperate people trying to pay for their meth habit as one did in Phuket. The women, might not be as easy as in Pattaya or Phuket, but one is more likely to meet a gainfully employed woman with a career and without a tramp stamp on her bum.

And so ends my ode to Hua Hin, city of the well heeled old folks.

Total BS about CR being the cheapest. Maybe it appears that way since there is so little to do here and so few places to spend money. However, food, rent, transportation and utilities are NO cheaper here than in CM. Always love to read these reports from people who probably get their info from travel guide books.

Like it or not, Pattaya is one of the top cities in Thailand for retirees. How an article like this can be written without even mentioning it shows how little the author knows. Two other popular cities with an international presence not mentioned are Bang Saen and Udon Thani.

Yep live in Krabi and there is nothing to do, most expats are transient being teachers and only here for a year or two, nearest entertainmant is Ao nang which is rediculously expensive and full of idiot tourists, Krabi town is dead in low season and very hot in high season with no beach to keep it cool, am tied here for the next few years but then prob move to Chiang Mai, much better climate, just get out for the couple of "smog" months..

Every place he mentioned is not inexpensive .... they all charge prices similar to Europe ... try booking into a reasonable hotel ...

food is not cheap ... unless you want noodle soup or rice with chicken.

You would be surprised by Hua Hin. There are multiple affordable eating places. I find the food to be less costly than Phuket and of better quality. Fewer western style places, but solid Thai restaurants that are clean and have polite staff. They are about the same price as what I paid in Udon Thani.

The article is about retirees. They typically book long stays. There are a few low cost long stays. The hotels are even relatively cheap if not in the center core and not at peak season. Have you been to Hua Hin? In any case, the pricing structure acts to discourage a certain demographic that doesn't do well in a place like Hua Hin.

Forget retiring in the cities.

Life is so much better in the villages, quiet , no noisy farangs drunk wearing vests, being loud borish.

Village life with only like minded retired expats like me will do for me.

Great if you want to live like a native, Thai food only, no watering holes, no English spoken. no hospitals or good doctors, no vets etc. etc. Tried it for a while then realised what I was missing...a life...give me Chiang Mai anyday.

Yes, it is obvious we don't all want the same thing, even though we all are looking for it in Thailand. I too, could not live in the village. I have a beautiful farm in West Virginia, love being there, but for no more than a week or two at a time. Yet, it is the only thing I really miss about the States.

I was so happy to see my city is not listed in this article. Quite frankly, I enjoy living in a large city with few farangs and would not want more moving here. If I get the urge to enter farangland, I can always go to one of those tourist traps and put up with the continual hassles from everyone from vendors to immigration and the increased cost on everything. It seems we farangs create the hassles and the increased cost because of our presence and the vacation-millionaire mentality of so many.

Krabi? Fine for a visit, but not a place to retire to. No geriatric healthcare facilities to speak of, and limited trauma facilities.

Chiang Mai? Lots to do, a vibrant farang community, but one has to clear out for a few months every year as the poisonous smoke clouds descend. During burning season, it is not a place for those with pulmonary conditions or those who want to be outdoors. Dengue and malaria have a higher incidence in the Chiang Mai region than the other big older crowd destinations. When it's hot, one longs to go for a walk at the beach, and sadly there is none. For those who love politics, one can always meet up with the Redshirts and talk about the good old days. wink.png

Hua Hin? I like it. A welcome respite and very different world than much of Thailand. Free of the touts, hookers and thieving tuk tuks that plague places like Phuket and even Krabi. It's a family town, a cut above the rest of the other Thai resort cities. It comes at a cost though. Prices are higher than in Chiang Mai. One can be out in the country in less than 30 minutes and there are many interesting places to go all within a short distance. However, one needs a car for that and this is where Hua Hin's downside is: It's a one road city, a road that is constantly given to gridlock. In the past year I have seen 2 pedestrians mowed down and a dog sitting on a curb. Hua Hin gets boring after awhile. The restaurants are ok, and have better fish than Chiang Mai. Plus, there is the ocean, as long as you don't mind the jelly fish and avoid the sewage tainted main beach areas. No lifeguards, but less than 15 jet skis over 5 km of beach, and one is spared the beach crime of Pattaya and Phuket. Long beaches to walk that are never crowded. A good selection of hospitals to treat the ailments of aging, provided an ambulance can get to you if having a stroke or heart attack. Once again the traffic is a factor, and people probably die while lying on a gurney during transport. Hua Hin attracts a better quality of foreigner, more mature in mind and body and they tend to be more civil, although aloof. Hua Hin certainly isn't for the adventurous, and leans more to the golf and tennis crowd. However, if that's what one enjoys then Hua Hin is for you. All I know is that it is a pleasure not to have to worry about muggings and the tuk tuk thugs or desperate people trying to pay for their meth habit as one did in Phuket. The women, might not be as easy as in Pattaya or Phuket, but one is more likely to meet a gainfully employed woman with a career and without a tramp stamp on her bum.

And so ends my ode to Hua Hin, city of the well heeled old folks.

Not all retirees seek the community of well-heeled old folk. Consequently, healthcare and geriatric friends may not be of paramount import in their minds. I like to live in a large city, so that all sorts of amenities and conveniences exist. I am 70 and fortunately in good health. Most of my friends are 20-30 years younger than I and still work. The few older friends I have are, quite frankly, rather boring; they stay at home most of the time and their activities center around reading, watching TV and puttering in the garden. When they go out, they bitch about everything and have to get back in bed by 9pm. I am not ready for that yet, and I will fight it off as long as I can.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think it says 'Gulf'.

Ans wa-a-a-y to the left there it says 'Indian Ocean'

Tsk Tsk Mr Crabb, the Gulf of Siam, is infact one of the 37 gulfs of the Pacific Ocean.......coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I guess that explains all the golfers. blink.png

How many retirees choose their destination for whitewater rafting etc? Think before you write this drivel..

White water rafting may not be a good example, but plenty of people retire in areas where they can enjoy their hobbies, be it white water rafting, kayaking, golf, trekking, swimming, sailing, etc... Why would someone want to retire to a place where there is f##k all to do?

Beautiful climate?,sure if you enjoy months of no rain followed by extreme heat,followed by torrential downpours,i don't think the climate is anything to shout about unless you live on the coast or Islands.

I kind of thought this as well, coming from Southern California, but those that live say in the UK area, or northeast portions of the US, the weather here is quite nice. You can take Hawaii for fantastic weather, but after months of same-same, even the islanders like to travel to the mainland to find something different for a while. So it's all relative to how you view it. Personally I enjoy the rain, it cleanses the air and roads, makes everything green, and if you prep for it, doesn't really cause much of a disruption.

How many retirees choose their destination for whitewater rafting etc? Think before you write this drivel..

i did for several years, but i preferred mountain biking. a common misconception that you have to be old to retire.

Top Places to in Thailand to Retire in ...

Let me see, ummmm, for a start the Baht is way too strong and everything far too expensive so living on a pension is getting much harder.

As for other issues ... well there's the crime, corruption, scams and the fact that Thais generally don't like foreigners so it's not exactly a welcoming place to retire.

Top places to retire ... anywhere but Thailand. Take your pick.

Hua Hin? I like it. A welcome respite and very different world than much of Thailand. Free of the touts, hookers and thieving tuk tuks that plague places like Phuket and even Krabi.

Hua Hin attracts a better quality of foreigner, more mature in mind and body and they tend to be more civil, although aloof.

Hua Hin free of hookers??? First time I went to Hua Hin about 6 years ago I would have agreed. However after my recent visit Id say the bar area near Hilton Hotel is becoming Pattaya-fied. Loads of hookers and the odd Katoey-on-a-motorbike lurking in the dark alleys.

And re the 'quality of foreigner'? Well I would have agreed but I was accosted by an unbelievably drunk retired expat one night. He was mumbling a load of sh*te, falling about the place and being abusive and aggressive towards all the staff. Made my excuses and left.

Edited by game4shame