Over 1,000 motorists violate speed limit in Pathum Thani a day

Lite Beer

Over 1,000 motorists violate speed limit in Pathum Thani a day
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Over 1,000 motorists violated the speed limit on the western ring road in Pathum Thani's Pakkret each day during the long Songkran holidays, the Khu Bangluang highway police station chief said.

Pol Lt Panas Bamrungkij said two automatic speed cameras took photos of vehicle that drove faster than 123 kilometers per hour on both inbound and outbound and found that over 1,000 cars violated the limit each day during the period.

Traffic tickets will be mailed to the houses of the vehicles' owners later, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Over-1000-motorists-violate-speed-limit-in-Pathum--30258147.html

• Like 1

I'de like to see the stats on those receiving postal fines.. that will pay those fines.. ???

Truth comes at registration time. Then the vehicle licence cannot be renewed till the person has gone and paid all the fines.

• Like 2

I'de like to see the stats on those receiving postal fines.. that will pay those fines.. ???

It comes via EMS registered post so you have to sign for it. You also have to pay to send confirmation of payment back to them by registered post, as well as paying the fine. You have so many days to pay, or there is a penalty.

I doubt many will ignore these fines - there are automatic penalties for not paying, it's all computerized and tied up, and followed up.

I wonder what the fine is for speeding. If the fine is 100 baht for walking around naked I imagine the speeding fine is a too small amount, too.

The highest I've got so far was 500 baht and that was for going about 30 kmh over the limit.

Note. I may be off with numbers here a little because I let wife deal with mail and paying fees. She usually tells me there's a ticket in mail and for how much and then she yaps arty me for a few min after that, but to me it's all a background noise.

There is a points system to go with it too so you can lose your licence (that of the vehicle owner) but I understand that has not been implimented yet.,(probably as they actually want people to get licences)

Edited by harrry

There is a points system to go with it too so you can lose your licence (that of the vehicle owner) but I understand that has not been implimented yet.,(probably as they actually want people to get licences)

In the west the photo radar ticket doesn't yield the owner any demerit points as it doesn't prove he was behind the wheel at the time of offense.

I do not think this system you mentioned will be implemented the lawmakers would have a lot of legal loops to jump through to make it stick.

Those bastards!!! I get a ticket per month on average, sometimes it me and sometimes my wife is driving and we normally go with the flow...

Slow learners?

No, the fine amount isn't high enough to make any financial effect on me, it's merely an inconvenience but we try to watch for the photo radar. If I know how it looks and where it sits, I'd slow down for it. ;)

Those bastards!!! I get a ticket per month on average, sometimes it me and sometimes my wife is driving and we normally go with the flow...

Slow learners?

No, the fine amount isn't high enough to make any financial effect on me, it's merely an inconvenience but we try to watch for the photo radar. If I know how it looks and where it sits, I'd slow down for it. ;)

Presumably, the Ring Road stated is posted as 120 kph maximum so why would you want to drive faster? Posters on TV constantly complain about the standard of driving in Thailand yet many are part of the problem. Slow down!

In the west the photo radar ticket doesn't yield the owner any demerit points as it doesn't prove he was behind the wheel at the time of offense.

I do not think this system you mentioned will be implemented the lawmakers would have a lot of legal loops to jump through to make it stick.

It does in Australia unless you can positively identify and deliver the real driver.

Presumably, the Ring Road stated is posted as 120 kph maximum so why would you want to drive faster? Posters on TV constantly complain about the standard of driving in Thailand yet many are part of the problem. Slow down!

Driving fast does not equal to driving like an idiot.

If the road is good and not too busy, I have no objections if someone drives fast.

My complains about the standard of driving in Thailand would be about the idiots who: tailgate, wave in and out of the traffic crossing 2 or 3 lanes at a time to gain one car length of space in front, slow moving vehicles in the fast lane, etc...

Don't know what western countries you are referring to but this is certainly not the case in Australia. If a ticket is issued then you must nominate the driver, if you allege it wasn't yourself behind the wheel. If you accept the ticket, then you receive points commensurate with the speed detected and pay the fine.

Prior to nomination being made law, companies used to get away with it because they alleged they were not aware of who was behind the wheel, so all they did was pay the fine. No demerit points issued. Many private motorists nominated their wives or other family members, avoided the points, as those nominated received them and the fine paid.

So now everyone must nominate and provide a Statutory Declaration identifying the driver and if caught lying the penalties are quite harsh. If Thailand were to adopt a similar system, put up more cameras and enforced their road rules, then just imagine how quicly the implementation costs would be recovered.

Read up on a high profile case involving Sir Marcus Einfield, a former Australian high court judge, who was proven to have lied to avoid paying a $76.00 camera detected fine. He lied hard and often and was convicted of perjury and attempt to pervert the course of justice and served two years.

Edited by Si Thea01

They put these up at intersection in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Called them red light camera's They were giving out tickets to cars stopped at the red lights. The courts shut them down so now all that tax money spent just went to waste. This is a state to state issue in America.

The Nannies think they can fix everything with tax dollars.

Court ruled that a moving violation is for the driver not the car, you need to be able to prove who is driving.

Edited by ToddinChonburi

Truth comes at registration time. Then the vehicle licence cannot be renewed till the person has gone and paid all the fines.

Good to know... I'm presuming that only applies to those that pay for annual compulsory insurance and road tax ? Do vehicles here get lifted and crushed for non payment of insurance and tax's ?

Good to know... I'm presuming that only applies to those that pay for annual compulsory insurance and road tax ? Do vehicles here get lifted and crushed for non payment of insurance and tax's ?

I think this speeding is a regular thing in Thailand and as I stated before harsh laws must be imposed and regular tv coverage on road safety must be brought into play young people must be taught early about dangers on the road.