Debit cards in Thailand

I found out recently that the debit card I have from my Thai bank ( name withheld) can not be used for online purchases, hotel or flight bookings...it's only good to withdraw money at an ATM!

My wife went to another large Thai bank today to inquire about a debit card that can be used online and was told " no, can't do".

I will state the obvious here:

I do not like to use credit cards.

With a credit card you are borrowing money and paying interest.

With a debit card you are spending money you have already deposited in the bank.

It makes no sense to me that you are not permitted to spend your own money online, but it is o.k., to borrow money to spend online!!

Does anyone know of a Thai bank that offers a debit card that can be used for online purchases, and booking hotels and flights?

For a long time I thought the same as the OP regarding credit cards. Really however they're the best way to purchase certain things such as plane tickets (earns more miles, comes with travel insurance) - just pay it off immediately.

Speaking of plane tickets, I had a problem years ago when I purchased one with my K bank cyber card and the airline asked for the physical card at check-in. For everything else, especially opening a Thai PayPal account, it worked great.

I have a Bangkok bank Visa debit card that i can use online and also a UOB credit card that is unsecured. As is normal here just try a different bank or branch.

That's interesting.

Bangkok Bank is the bank my wife talked to today and they said their debit card would not work online.

My current debit card is with GSB.

I have used it online many times in the past , but not for over a year now.

A month ago, I tried to book a hotel with it and was declined and told to contact my bank.

When I contacted GSB, I was told their debit cards no longer worked online.

I deal with GSB because my wife is a retired employee of the bank and they have always been pretty good...

But the debit card...no good now!

BKK bank has 2 different cards. One you can use like a credit card and one you cannot. Go back to the bank and tell them you have the wrong card. Same thing happened to me. Went back got the right card and you can use it anywhere. I don't know the correct nomenclature but you want the white card

• Like 1

I have a Bangkok bank Visa debit card that i can use online and also a UOB credit card that is unsecured. As is normal here just try a different bank or branch.

That's interesting.

Bangkok Bank is the bank my wife talked to today and they said their debit card would not work online.

My current debit card is with GSB.

I have used it online many times in the past , but not for over a year now.

A month ago, I tried to book a hotel with it and was declined and told to contact my bank.

When I contacted GSB, I was told their debit cards no longer worked online.

I deal with GSB because my wife is a retired employee of the bank and they have always been pretty good...

But the debit card...no good now!

Have given up trying to second guess Thai banks, Wife applied for a mortgage with me as guarantor last year, have the work permit etc and the repayments were about 15% of my salary, Banks say no !

2fishin2 has it right.

i had the same issue long ago. Because i have moved around I have several cards. I only use two. Other are dormant. I had to fill out a form from the bank authorizing my use on the internet. They sent me a letter with special code. So with one card, if I use it, a separate window will pop up asking for the security question and code. Sounds strange but I'm OK with the extra security. Now they may have done away with that system I'm not sure, but with that one card I can use it on the Internet. Also it will not go thru if it exceeds any balance that card has. It is my ATM cards and treated as a credit card. again it will not process if there are not funds to cover it.

And yes it with Bangkok Bank. If anything you may need to go to the main branch in the city you live in and not one of the shopping mall outlet's. Or even the main one in Bangkok on Silom Rd.

I don't know about Thai banks' cards, but I have used an Australian debit card in Thailand for a long time. it works no problem with in-store purchases and I purchase all my AirAsia tickets online with it. However I have recently run into problems with Thai online stores. I get around this with another Aussie (Visa) card which is also a debit card, but behaves like a credit card.

i had the same issue long ago. Because i have moved around I have several cards. I only use two. Other are dormant. I had to fill out a form from the bank authorizing my use on the internet. They sent me a letter with special code. So with one card, if I use it, a separate window will pop up asking for the security question and code. Sounds strange but I'm OK with the extra security. Now they may have done away with that system I'm not sure, but with that one card I can use it on the Internet. Also it will not go thru if it exceeds any balance that card has. It is my ATM cards and treated as a credit card. again it will not process if there are not funds to cover it.

And yes it with Bangkok Bank. If anything you may need to go to the main branch in the city you live in and not one of the shopping mall outlet's. Or even the main one in Bangkok on Silom Rd.

You can only do the swap at the bank where you got the card. I dont know about other Thai banks but, BKK banks are not franchised like western banks in the sense that administration of your account has to be done at the bank where the account was opened.

As one poster mentioned credit cards only charge interest if you do not pay the balance off in full within the first 30 days. With that in mind, credit cards allow the user to manage his/her spending, while, if used wisely, still avoid any finance charges. If used smartly you are essentially given a free 30 day use of their money.

An advantage of using a credit card vs a debit card is that a credit card does offer an additional level of protection and security. If someone accesses your credit card, you can dispute that charge and you will not pay. What then usually happens is that the charge is removed and your credit card is immediately replaced.

Credit cards also allow one to put a charge on hold when disputing a purchase.

With a debit card, if a bad guy accesses your card, your entire bank balance can be emptied and sucked dry before you realize the problem. And then you are left to attempt to rectify the issue with no immediate recourse on getting your money back.

Debit cards seem to be widely used in Thailand, and we use one as well for our daily money needs. But when it comes to on line purchases including airline tickets, I would not use anything else but a credit card.

We need to exercise care, especially on line, and credit cards help where debit cards tend to leave the account vulnerable.

• Like 2

The OP is very misled as to how credit cards work. In general, one should NEVER use a debit card online. 1: In the USA, the bank liability for debit card fraud is much less than for credit card fraud. 2: You don't pay interest on credit card purchases as long as you pay off the charge when it is due, i.e. monthly. 3: Credit card disputes are a bit less painful than debit card disputes because with a debit card, the money is out. with a credit card you haven't paid anything yet. 4: All my credit cards offer at least 1% cash back or 2% merchandise discount or free gift cards at major stores. So I charge literally everything, earn the reward points, get the freebies and of course pay my credit card balances to Zero.

• Like 1

BKK bank has 2 different cards. One you can use like a credit card and one you cannot. Go back to the bank and tell them you have the wrong card. Same thing happened to me. Went back got the right card and you can use it anywhere. I don't know the correct nomenclature but you want the white card

My BKK Bank "Be1st - Smart" (it's blue/green) card works online and carries the "Visa" logo so it should work in shops (not tested it).

It does only work in BKK Bank ATMs mind, but since I do 99% of my banking online and my local salary goes into SCB that's not an issue for me.

Well my Bangkok Bank ATM /Debit card can be used to make purchases at point of sale.

But let me set you straight on a few other points.

I personally prefer to use the credit cards.

I get an SMS when I do.

The way the CC works is I have to have a fixed term deposit to cover the CC limit, and it is paid automatically at the end of the month from my savings account and no interest or debt involved.

So I get free credit to the end of the month.

Why did I need to get a CC...... for on-line purchases, primarily flights !

Edited by jacko45k

I have debit cards, one of which is linked to PayPal, In the last four weeks I have successfully booked hotels, flights and able to make International purchases online. As long as there is enough money in my account, the transactions take about 5 seconds and I receive in my email a receipt from both the Supplier and from PayPal. This does not entail any card having to be shown at airports or hotels.

I have been a user of PayPal for more than eight years and not had anything to be concerned about

Me thinks the OP's wife experienced a miscommunication regarding her question. I've lost count the number of times over the years my Thai wife has asked question to a bank or govt agency, then relayed the answer to me in English, I then said that don't sound right, ask again but ask it this way, and finally we got to an answer I could believe....and many times the answer was what I was expecting but needed the confirmation. Then my wife gets pissed for while in how the whole question (and re-question) and answer process went....she just hates it when I say that can't be right...let's ask again...ask it this way.

• Like 2

I've had an SCB credit card for 11 years and have never paid any interest

That's cos you pay the full balance every month, as long as you don't carry a balance over you will never pay interest, not rocket science

Using direct debit cards on line is a very risky undertaking indeed if someone hacks your card/account you can have your account cleaned out with very little recourse

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2