Jump in volunteers 'stems from rising image of Army'

Lite Beer

Jump in volunteers 'stems from rising image of Army'
Panya Thiosangwan
The Nation

30258231-01_big.jpg?1429312175478

BANGKOK: -- ALMOST 43,500 men voluntarily joined the military this year, 10 per cent up from last year.

The good image of the military arising from it tackling the country's problems is among chief reasons more young men are interested in becoming soldiers, according to Royal Thai Army (RTA) deputy spokeswoman Colonel Sirichan Ngathong.

"Other factors are higher pay, good welfare, etc," she said yesterday.

This year, the army selected new recruits from April 1 to 12.

Young men are required to report for the recruitment process for the armed forces to fill available positions. Of 496,748 men called for the recruitment process, some 99,373 became recruits.

"While 43,446 men are volunteers, the rest were conscripted," Sirichan said.

The volunteers filled all available recruit positions in 55 areas, she added. These areas were in Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Phetchaburi, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Nan, Mae Hong Son, Tak, Phayao, Chiang Rai, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

Of the new recruits, 75,404 have been assigned to the army, 16,000 to the Navy and 7,969 to the Royal Thai Air Force.

Sirichan said the recruits would have to report for work on May 1. Failing to answer a summons for conscription is considered a legal offence.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Jump-in-volunteers-stems-from-rising-image-of-Army-30258231.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-18

Now THAT should please the PM.

I would think so.

It will also please those of us who want to see the military neutralize the Shinawatra clan and return the country to an elected government that isn't dominated by organized criminality.

• Like 1

"Jump in volunteers 'stems from rising image of Army'"

or maybe they are just too thick to do anything else?

Same same you?

No, that isn't what I've seen at all.

Among my wife's extended family most of the young males were in the military at one time or another.

Some were drafted, some enlisted, and a few made a career out of it.

None of them were "...too thick to do anything else."

• Like 2

43,000 plus volunteers yet every year there's all sorts of dodges, excuses and corruption to avoid conscription.

Maybe method in this possible madness if i understand things correctly.

Can anyone clarify if volunteers can choose a reduced period of service as compared to the compulsory 2 years when conscripted ?

Get in get it over unless settled and seeing a long term career with extra perks when established, accepted and trusted by colleagues as one of the boys.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that if you volunteer you are in for 6 months. .If you pull a red ball you are in for two years

If you have a degree then it is only 6 months.Otherwise it is one year.

My son just volunteered, as he can also choose where to be stationed.

He will be going to an army camp just 10 km from home.

A neighbours son also volunteered but failed the medical, too thin, even though he is fine.

The 40000 baht bribe was cheaper than his family having to hire a replacement for two years

if he was selected.

The reason for volunteering is that you get to the start of the queue and finish selection early.

People who want the lottery choice have to wait until the end to see how many volunteer and how

many conscripts are therefore needed.

Is anyone in a position to confirm what the current "going-rate" is for ensuring that a non-interested candidate gets the right color of ball in the conscription-lottery ?

30,000 Baht to be deemed medically unfit, so I am told.

• Like 1

The Thai military is Thailand's unemployment safety net for young men. So it's not surprising to see volunteers for service this year increase which is the worse economic outlook in forty years. With a Junta-led government, the military has unrestricted access to the nation's treasury. While Thailand buckles under a worsening economy, the military will be gold-plating itself.

This is the second thread that you have repeated the lie (source: an academic that can't even add) of the worst economic outlook in 40 years.

As one who lived through the 1997 'Som-tam' crisis - 18 years ago - the current economic outlook is extremely positive in comparison. In fact it is no worse than 2013 when we had 2 consecutive quarters of negative economic growth, called a technical recession.

Certainly the economy is in need of boosting - just like the EU and Japan - but there's no need to exaggerate to fit your bias.

Good reply.

Most of the posters on this thread seem to be totally clueless.

• Like 1

Bunk. The jump in volunteers in a rising awareness among rural youth that it's a viable way out of a life to back-breaking work for low pay. My step son went in last year. After he volunteered, a few other of his friends followed suit. All they have in the village was work in the fields and yaba. Not much of a future. "Rising image". Don't make me laugh. It's a means to an end.

Edited by connda