> Jump to content

PM: Measures will be implemented to set lotto ticket price at 80 baht

Lite Beer

PM: Measures will be implemented to set lotto ticket price at 80 baht

BANGKOK, 18 April 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told the media that he would use the recently introduced section 44 of the interim constitution to enforce the selling price of government lottery tickets at 80 baht a piece, as the previous policy failed to achieve that goal.

He elaborated that the Government Lottery Office would establish and register lottery vending groups pending the issuance of a new lottery law and organic regulations. The Prime Minister said that as the existing lottery quotas would expire one after another, reallocation will be gradually made to retailers. A brainstorming session will be held once all the quotas are terminated to find measures to ensure lottery tickets will not be overpriced.

He said although his idea was unlikely to be started in time for the next round of lottery issuance, preparations would be made within this month. The Prime Minister estimated that the selling of lotteries priced at 80 baht a piece would be started sometimes in June.

He said however that the idea of selling lottery tickets in convenience stores could not be done at this point. Gen. Prayut explained that lotteries sold under the latter move were not under the quota system. Under this system, retail outlets were to be employed to sell the tickets as alternative channels. He also mentioned a possibility of offering the tickets through automatic vending machines.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-18 footer_n.gif

Are there any reports about the govt that don't start with " The PM ... " ?

He's the complete one man band and running everything so does he really need the whole NCPO or are they there simply to take the blame if something goes wrong as i don't see him admitting he erred in any way.

He's the complete one man band and running everything so does he really need the whole NCPO or are they there simply to take the blame if something goes wrong as i don't see him admitting he erred in any way.

The PM, always looks after his people and try to bring happiness to them.

Even with minor issues like the lottery price, it shows his concern for the Thaisthumbsup.gif

"He said however that the idea of selling lottery tickets in convenience stores could not be done at this point. Gen. Prayut explained that lotteries sold under the latter move were not under the quota system. Under this system, retail outlets were to be employed to sell the tickets as alternative channels. He also mentioned a possibility of offering the tickets through automatic vending machines."

Thank goodness the Thais have a PM with really important issues to address, like devising his own special lottery ticket distribution system.

There are nearly 50 different lottery systems in use in just the U.S. alone (44 individual state versions plus DC, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico). All of them are computerized. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, why doesn't the government simply contract for someone to implement a computerized system? How difficult can this be?

Edited by TheAppletons

"He said however that the idea of selling lottery tickets in convenience stores could not be done at this point. Gen. Prayut explained that lotteries sold under the latter move were not under the quota system. Under this system, retail outlets were to be employed to sell the tickets as alternative channels. He also mentioned a possibility of offering the tickets through automatic vending machines."

Thank goodness the Thais have a PM with really important issues to address, like devising his own special lottery ticket distribution system.

There are nearly 50 different lottery systems in use in just the U.S. alone (44 individual state versions plus DC, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico). All of them are computerized. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, why doesn't the government simply contract for someone to implement a computerized system? How difficult can this be?

I believe the Thai government has already signed an agreement with GTECH, one of the biggest computer lottery companies in the world, they could implement something very quickly.

Now why does the government not want to use this established company............?

Under section 44 could he not just completely scrap any ongoing concessions and start again, if this is the root of the problem?

Maybe the brainstorming session should have been held before they announced that they had fixed the issue 9 months ago.

Is there something wrong with the Prime Minister running the government and it's associated activities?

• Like 1

I would imagine that one of the problems with a computerised system assuming your thinking of the type I'm thinking of is what happens to all the lottery sellers?

It may work well elsewhere, the UK I think still uses Gtech but everything tends to be more labour intensive here.

Someone correct me I am wrong, but I understand that lottery profits (which must be huge) have always gone into a government slush fund that can be applied to by Ministers to support projects "for the good of the people".----BangKoKfrog

Yes quite wrong again Bangkokfrog.......very surprising .. huh.......coffee1.gif

The odds on winning the Thai loto are way above the UK or America.... as they can only use single digit numbers to draw (0-9) in the UK it goes up to 49 drawn 6 times , just under 16 million to 1. of course the prizes are smaller--but chances of winning are larger.

The Thai Loto foundation books are quite open open-- it issues 14 million tickets each draw---2 million of the tickets go to sports foundations--7 million go to different charities... it gives 440 scholarships, & puts 20 million baht into welfare fund for civil servants & war veterans pensions.

Yes Loto is profitable in all countries....... for some reason the expats think that here, it should be different from where they left.

I would imagine that one of the problems with a computerised system assuming your thinking of the type I'm thinking of is what happens to all the lottery sellers?

It may work well elsewhere, the UK I think still uses Gtech but everything tends to be more labour intensive here.

Meanwhile, in Detroit, 1908:

Henry Ford: My new Model T automobile will get you from point A to point B in less than 1/4 of the time as it takes to ride in a stagecoach.

Wells Fargo: What will happen to all of the stagecoach drivers and buggy whip makers?

(Technology has been displacing human labor for decades/centuries now in the developed nations.)

Apart from the handicapped selling tickets i hope Thailand gets rid of all ticketvendors who are hawking them.

When i'm on the market, government building, restaurant i don't want to be bothered by lottery vendors. Also not by soidogs.

" Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told the media that he would use the recently introduced section 44 of the interim constitution to enforce the selling price of government lottery tickets at 80 baht a piece"

Yep, that is what Section 44 is supposed to be used for...... don't the Americans feel really stupid now for all that pointless criticism...

Apart from the handicapped selling tickets i hope Thailand gets rid of all ticketvendors who are hawking them.

When i'm on the market, government building, restaurant i don't want to be bothered by lottery vendors. Also not by soidogs.

Yes indeed, life here in the tropical east is such a pain when confronted by the natives trying to eke out a living peddling lucky numbers..whistling.gif

• Like 2

Is there something wrong with the Prime Minister running the government and it's associated activities?

You really are a pathetic troll.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, life here in the tropical east is such a pain when confronted by the natives trying to eke out a living peddling lucky numbers..whistling.gif

Spot On 'Catcher.

For a long time the forum has has the childish ' if you don't like it go somewhere else ' post rather than disagree with what's been said and why.

Now the ' I'm alright Jack ' attitude is becoming very prevalent and while it's nice to have a good, settled life it's disgusting to have the ' me, me, me ' outlook and how dare anyone or anything detract from it.

• Like 1