Cabbie who ran over cop, shot dead couple 'confesses'

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Every article in which a Thai person does something negative is filled with the same vitriolic bile again and again. Bad people exist - and more of them exist in places with less economic opportunities and educational quality. But don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Agreed, but "loss of face" can cause huger problems in places like Hong Kong and Thailand often leading to violence. Where as in the UK or USA no one would give a "rats a**e" about it. To Stradavarius37 I hope that you quickly learn this about this culture.

You don't' know the US very well...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree its hard to imagine this happening somewhere else. Taxi driver runs down cop, does a runner with his gun then murders some people who told him off for not showing the least bit of courtesy to his neighbours. Where else are people this idiotic and wreckless ? I'm married to a Thai so am not anti Thai but this does have Thainess all over it. Cue the pc brigade.....

Totally agree, this have Thainess written all over it, never heard of any other country where a taxi driver run down a cop then steal his gun to kill two people who have complaining at his noisy behavior in his apartment.

The last taxi driver I red about had a problem with an american passenger and attacked and killed him with a machete knife.

Makes me wondering what kind of drugs this guys are on.

I lived in Hong Kong for over 2 decades. HK Chinese don't like loss of face any more than Thais. Does it lead to the violence we see here - absolutely not. Just check HK's crime rate. Also, the ratio of police (HK's police judged to be among the best in Asia) to people is among the highest in the world. Can't get away with much in HK - there's a cop on every corner & motorbike cops everywhere. Makes Thailand look like the Wild West! Absolutely no comparison

Sorry Platinum Member, you are a little off the mark, " if they cheat you, rob you etc," and you expose them often they will kill you because of loss of opportunity and "loss of face" as you say. But which one takes promininance is questionable. The result though is the same. There are many examples of farangs suffering this fate just for trying to be honest in managing their projects. Many of us "bite our tongue" when we know of corruption and theft even when it affects us because we know the risks.

Thainess.

Why do people here have to make gratuitous comments like this. This kind of thing happens all over the world and has nothing to do with "Thainess". Sad but true !!!

Because this is Thai Visa, not EU Visa, or Canada Visa.

And because he is right.

He claimed the couple recently humiliated him in front of other tenants by scolding him for playing a guitar too loud.

It's called Face, and the Thai version is on the extreme edge.

You mean if it had happened in a European country and disused in a EU forum, it would be attributed to Eropeaness and not stupidity combined with sociopathic behavior?

The discussion on a EU forum would likely revolve around a motive such as money, jealousy, or revenge for something greater than what westerners would consider a moment of trivial embarrassment.

Those are typical motives for westerners to kill. While Asians kill for the same reasons, westerners don't typically commit multiple premeditated murders based on a simple loss of Face. Asians do.

Going by the statement attributed to the suspect, Face was a primary motive for his actions.

Thainess.

Why do people here have to make gratuitous comments like this. This kind of thing happens all over the world and has nothing to do with "Thainess". Sad but true !!!

yep cops get run down every day in Australia, have thier guns stolen by a Thai who then murders others.

I like Australia and have a lot of respect for their police force but they still have violent crime. There was the mother killing her 8 children last year, and the father throwing his daughter off a bridge or the recent terror tragedy in Sydney. Considering Australia has a population similar to Greater Bangkok they have their fare share of violent nutters - as does every country in the world.

he shot the couple because they often scolded him for being too noisy at the apartment.

Let this be a warning to you farangs who complain incessantly about the noise of dogs, roosters, and neighbors...

555, thats why its always good to pack one too...saves one from bending over too muchthumbsup.gif ``

To be fair and to discuss you point in relation to the points raised. What do you consider a legitimate reason for his action if its not "losing face" ?

For the point of discussion,

Is Loosing face strictly a Thai condition?

IF the answer is NO , then the Thainess term applied is incorrect.

I would say generally it is a thai trait. Most westerners although maybe angry would not resort to these extreme measures

Most westerners... would not resort to these extreme measures

And most Thais wouldn't either. So, your point?

To be fair and to discuss you point in relation to the points raised. What do you consider a legitimate reason for his action if its not "losing face" ?

Yes, loss of face is an issue in many Asian cultures but it manifests itself with murderous outcomes more commonly in Thailand than elsewhere....thainess IS appropriate in this context

I understand that your focus is mainly on Thailand but maybe you should go on some Chinese forums. Heinous behavior compared to Thais. "Face' saving is universally East Asian as well as American gang/thug culture where you can be shot for an accidentally spilled drink.

but it manifests itself with murderous outcomes more commonly in Thailand than elsewhere

Chicago area population 2014: 9.9 mill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area

Murders in Chicago in 2014: 388 http://heyjackass.com/category/2014-chicago-crime-murder-stats/

Bangkok area population 2014: 9 mill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Metropolitan_Region

Murders in Bangkok 2014: couldn't find an actual number but 4 murders per 100,000 compared to Amsterdam at 4.4 murders per 100,000 so that it is about 360 murders per year in Bangkok; fewer than Chicago. Since, by definition, no murder is justified, Bangkok has a lower murder rate than Chicago and a lot of other major cities. http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/30/new-york-crime-free-day-deadliest-cities-worldwide

Edited by rametindallas

I would say generally it is a thai trait. Most westerners although maybe angry would not resort to these extreme measures

You're presuming that most Thais would resort to such extreme measures when acts of physical violence are far more frequent and extreme in western countries.

I agree its hard to imagine this happening somewhere else. Taxi driver runs down cop, does a runner with his gun then murders some people who told him off for not showing the least bit of courtesy to his neighbours. Where else are people this idiotic and wreckless ? I'm married to a Thai so am not anti Thai but this does have Thainess all over it. Cue the pc brigade.....

Where are you from? I bet there is plenty to be found via google and youtube from your country that would be equal, if not worse, than what this cab driver did.

Where are you from? I bet there is plenty to be found via google and youtube from your country that would be equal, if not worse, than what this cab driver did.

Bul@ %¥€t. Ok a shooting or a hit and run I could comprehend but this goes further than that. All you pseudo Thais can't see the woods for the trees.

Edited by leither69

I have lived in Thailand for 26 years and I wonder at why the perp(s) always look so happy in these staged recreations. One would think they should be able to conjure up some equally staged remorse for public consumption. I have consigned this to the "too difficult to explain" bin.

Bul@ %¥€t. Ok a shooting or a hit and run I could comprehend but this goes further than that. All you pseudo Thais can't see the woods for the trees.

Like the mother in the US who kills her children and stuffs them in the fridge? Or the aussie that ran over his neighbor because he didnt like what his neighbor said about his dog. How about the plethora of road rage incidents from US, UK, Australia found on youtube while there is less than a handful for Thailand?

Pseudo Thais...what are those?

Like the mother in the US who kills her children and stuffs them in the fridge? Or the aussie that ran over his neighbor because he didnt like what his neighbor said about his dog. How about the plethora of road rage incidents from US, UK, Australia found on youtube while there is less than a handful for Thailand?

None of what you have cited here have to do with losing Face.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thainess.

Really? All over the world? Please enlighten us with news stories about similar events from at least ten other countries.

Don't be a knob - murders happen in every country - as you very well know..

well then all is forgiven and it's no big deal. He was just copying those bloody farangs, why even bother charging him? Why do so many play down murders and violently crimes committed by Thais and try and turn the blame onto the rest of the world.

I googled it and couldn't find any other example of someone running over a policeman, stealing his gun and then shooting both his neighbours dead, because they complained about him playing the guitar.

They are the actions of a psychopath.

I doubt anyone can come up with legitimate reasons for his actions as they could hardly be sanctioned in law!

Every article in which a Thai person does something negative is filled with the same vitriolic bile again and again. Bad people exist - and more of them exist in places with less economic opportunities and educational quality. But don't tar everyone with the same brush.

True but perhaps not with such regular monotony,however the real issue that irritates many of those who respond in such manner is the absolute futility in the belief that anything positive will be done to minimize similar actions in the future.

I have a historical background in this country for 30 years and I have seen little or no change in social or cultural behaviors over 3 decades.

It is not about the bad apples it is about the desire ,drive and will of the majority which is corrupted by the culture to a point where it is simply nonexistent.

Thainess.

Racism

I've been here more than a few years and can't honestly recall ' Thainess ' being used until YL started, on her many overseas trips, saying she wanted to export it etc.

You must consider yourself lucky to have been born deaf and not blind.

"Thainess" isn't a derogatory term created by foreigners. It was created and has been promoted by Thai's themselves.

It is also one of the biggest and most prevalent illustrations of Thai ignorance and hypocrisy. When I use the term, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy that exists between the actual practice of Thainess and the impact that has on the society versus the in the way that Thai's think of the term.

I'm fully aware that every country has it's own mythology about who it is and what makes it special. But when you go marching out under that flag, you need to understand that people are going to point out when you are full of sh*t. I could, and have, written about the folly and hypocrisy of my own country on this forum... I'm not making any comparative statements about Thailand vs my country... I'm just talking about Thailand and the issue of what Thainess means to me vs what I think it means to Thai's.

It is very common to hear about how Thailand is different and better than other places. Thailand is number one. That patriotism / nationalism has a place, but the effect is that Thai's dismiss the approaches and logic of most of the rest of the world, saying are irrelevant here. It doesn't matter that other countries have various systems that could be adopted to improve Thailand. "You just don't understand Thainess." Thai's have a better way. They are indoctrinated to believe that their culture is morally superior and more virtuous than other countries. How often have we seen "A Thai couldn't do that" kinds of responses from officials?

When discussing any of the common topics of this forum, whether language, education, corruption at all levels, politics, crime, accountability, city planning, zoning, development, environment, social issues, conducting business, buying property, controlling your own business, whatever... the issue always comes down to "You don't understand Thainess. Thai's know better".

There are many who walk around claiming "Thainess" as a badge of moral superiority and who try to use this artificial and totally inaccurate cultural distinction to justify all the negative things that happen here which prevent the society from developing and creating greater prosperity for all. Yet, day after day, we see examples of a widespread childish tendency toward savage violence for relatively minor transgressions (instead of the peaceful and respectful, smiling Thai that Thainess tells us to expect). We see police corruption that harasses the innocent, gives a full pass to the powerful who are guilty, and is wholly incompetent to perform the task of law enforcement at all levels. (Regardless of what Thai's may think, this is the Thainess we see every day.)

We see political divisions, demonstrations, coup after coup, martial law, draconian replacements to martial law, no free speech under direct threat of the military junta, and the condemnation from the governments of the rest of the world as well as human rights watchdog NGO's. But "You don't understand Thainess." We see scams and robberies and assaults on tourists which go unpunished. We see tourists extorted for made up crimes and fined amounts that are multiple times what a Thai is fined for assaulting a tourist with a deadly weapon. More Thainess?

In education, we see a myopic and intentionally self centered indoctrination into Thai history that is factually incorrect and embarrassing ignorant of the rest of the world. There is lip service to learning English, but no intention to actually teach it in a meaningful way. All resulting in a population where the majority have a 8th grade education, a complete lack of understanding of the world they live in or their place in it, the overall maturity of a 15 year old, and a belief that "Thainess" explains it all and somehow makes it all ok.

My whole point is that "Thainess is holding Thailand back" because it is the bullsh*t song that the powerful use to brainwash the people into believing that Thailand has some secret magic makes it special when in reality it's nothing more than the pablum they feed the masses to protect their power.

Thainess is the opiate of the people.

So what, why does that matter? Previous posters implied that nowhere else does such senseless violence occur and examples to the contrary were provided.

There are numerous incidents of extreme acts of violence in the west, particularly in the US, due to loss of face. It is often referred to as disrespect or humiliation, and more often than not, leads to similar if not more gruesome outcomes.

Look up mass shootings in US from recent years. Were those not motivated by some form of humiliation/loss of face by peers and further exacerbated by psychotic behavior? What about the mother/son who were recently gunned down in US for laughing at someone who had their foot sticking out the window -- isnt a result of loss of face?

Senseless violence can occur anywhere but to single out Thais/Thailand as somehow more conducive this behavior displays a blind ignorance of the violence that occurs in the west with much more frequency and severity.

Thainess.

Racism

I've been here more than a few years and can't honestly recall ' Thainess ' being used until YL started, on her many overseas trips, saying she wanted to export it etc.

You must consider yourself lucky to have been born deaf and not blind.

?

So what, why does that matter? Previous posters implied that nowhere else does such senseless violence occur and examples to the contrary were provided.

There are numerous incidents of extreme acts of violence in the west, particularly in the US, due to loss of face. It is often referred to as disrespect or humiliation, and more often than not, leads to similar if not more gruesome outcomes.

Look up mass shootings in US from recent years. Were those not motivated by some form of humiliation/loss of face by peers and further exacerbated by psychotic behavior? What about the mother/son who were recently gunned down in US for laughing at someone who had their foot sticking out the window -- isnt a result of loss of face?

Senseless violence can occur anywhere but to single out Thais/Thailand as somehow more conducive this behavior displays a blind ignorance of the violence that occurs in the west with much more frequency and severity.

Naw

Anupong told police he shot the couple because they often scolded him for being too noisy at the apartment.

He claimed the couple recently humiliated him in front of other tenants by scolding him for playing a guitar too loud.

He also claimed the couple ransacked his room.

losing face... what a sick concept in Thai "culture"

they should really make him lose face this time

bs country

Note to self - dont scold Thai men for being too noisy.

Seriously, this guy is clearly a sociopath. I believe the sentence should be death without the possibility of parole.

I think if the sentence is death. Parole really wouldn't be an option unless a witch doctor revives him

Loss of Face hmm Maprao have you been to the US lately? The people that are killing Americans at an alarming rate are the Police and they do so because by one officers account "the man did not respect me so I shot him dead!" And by the way no charges were filed!