Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

When someone tries to beat you off the stop light is totally different and quite common occurrence.

How do they often react when you cruise past them, at a speed that is catchable (faster than the speed of traffic, but not hammering it like an untrained, racing lunatic while riding dangerously to 'get away from them') ?

Never had this happen to me that someone pass me and shake their legs and arse after I pass them. If not much traffic and I'm cruising at my leisure speed, if I pass other bikes, they usually stay behind as they're probably cruising at their leisure speed, once in a while I'd get passed again but I've never seen that silly dance.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are two very clearly different scenarios here, I automatically assumed the OP was specifically referring too city driving, outside a city on open reasonably uncongested roads is a whole different ballgame, once I pass 1st gear I'm already beyond the top speed capacity of a scooter

Edited by smedly

Do you recall the other incident of the leg kick and accident, and who would have posted it? I'd love to find that one!

Remember that there is no denying it (only the trolls trying to derail the thread for whatever reasons).

Well, if it happens to some of you guys, then all I can say is to be careful. Obviously where you guys ride (or the way you ride) is rubbing up some of the locals wrongly which accounts for their aggressive behaviour towards you all. And you don't need the rest of us telling you where this could lead.

Thankfully, I have not had such things happening to me which means that I'm riding safely and not aggravating other road users. So I just need to watch out for other idiots.

OP, I think you've used the word troll more in your 360+ posts that I have in my 3,000+ posts. Keyboard stuck?

Thanks Myaimistrue. This is a great piece of TV history you found, written by our beloved Hehehoho:

I like the Thai version.

The lights are red, the heat shimmering off the clear raceway in front of you, the tension's building, the 1974 Honda Wave next to you is smoking, the rider twitching in energetic anticipation as he checks out your machine among the revs of his 110cc beast, hands and feet nervously unsteady, then before the light hits green he's off, redlining at 6000rpm, body in full tuck, the smoke clears as everyone else waves it away from their faces, he's 20 meters in front of everyone, no one along side him, the victor, he isn't only going to humiliate you through victory, but embarrass you through gloating, the leg comes out, it announcing his great victory via a few flicks of the foot and waves of the knee, clearly the better rider has won. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-syceq

And I was only going down to the seven to buy some milk.

Classic clap2.gif

Do you recall the other incident of the leg kick and accident, and who would have posted it? I'd love to find that one!

Sorry i dont remember. Such a loooooong time ago. I was just on my way "to adapt thai riding style" back in these good old days laugh.png

• 1 month later...

"The car, driven by what appeared to be a Thai man, with two female passengers, was seen to drive slowly and then the bike, driven by Khun Panuwat aged 32, cut in front to overtake but was then rammed by the car driver."

Didn't like being overtaken....

So rams them off the road.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/830335-car-really-commits-to-ramming-motorbike-in-pattaya/page-2?p=9482726#entry9482726

what's wrong with these people?

• 1 month later...

Interesting.

I was talking with a Thai doctor last night,Educated in the UK (secondary school, undergraduate and master’s degrees) and he rides a Ducati hypermotard here.

We were talking about this, and his take was that many, many, Thai men suffer from a terminal case of Little-Man Syndrome, either feeling dominant or challenged through-out their day and life. When another male is around them and is dominant (passing them or being around them and their bike) they feel like they have lost their dominance and need to regain it in order to feel normal. All measures will be taken to ensure this happens, losing, as they bizarrely see it, isn't an option and risking death to be the winner (as they see it) needs to happen.

It was interesting to hear the views from an overseas educated Thai.

"many, many, Thai men suffer from a terminal case of Little-Man Syndrome, either feeling dominant or challenged through-out their day and life. When another male is around them and is dominant (passing them or being around them and their bike) they feel like they have lost their dominance and need to regain it in order to feel normal."

What a horrid existence. sad.png

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Interesting.

I was talking with a Thai doctor last night,Educated in the UK (secondary school, undergraduate and master’s degrees) and he rides a Ducati hypermotard here.

We were talking about this, and his take was that many, many, Thai men suffer from a terminal case of Little-Man Syndrome, either feeling dominant or challenged through-out their day and life. When another male is around them and is dominant (passing them or being around them and their bike) they feel like they have lost their dominance and need to regain it in order to feel normal. All measures will be taken to ensure this happens, losing, as they bizarrely see it, isn't an option and risking death to be the winner (as they see it) needs to happen.

I think I will take my actual experience of riding here for 9 years, and usually riding 100 km per day, and never seeing this so called crazy male dominance.

Trouble with hi-so, I'm educated abroad types, is they usually come with a superiority complex about 'normal' Thais, you know that class thing.

I am calling <deleted> on what he says.

Interesting.

I think I will take my actual experience of riding here for 9 years, and usually riding 100 km per day, and never seeing this so called crazy male dominance.

Trouble with hi-so, I'm educated abroad types, is they usually come with a superiority complex about 'normal' Thais, you know that class thing.

So, if you haven't seen it, it doesn't exist?

Interesting.

it is very specific to riding around town, it absolutely does not happen when out on the open roads, it also depends on what you are riding, it could be that you are being ignored as unimportant .............let me guess - you have one of those very dangerous Forza scooters.......could be wrong about your ride ....waiting

and never seeing this so called crazy male dominance.

cheesy.gif

Cute.

wub.png

Hehe, yes.

Claims to have been driving on Thai roads for 9 years and never sees 'crazy male dominance'. clap2.gif

It is an adorable post.

I guess he also stays out of the Thai news subforum where there are daily news clips of Thais purposefully running people off the road, forcing them to stop before threatening them with weapons, taking out people/vehicles while trying to beat the next guy who overtook them.

coffee1.gif

"many, many, Thai men suffer from a terminal case of Little-Man Syndrome, either feeling dominant or challenged through-out their day and life. When another male is around them and is dominant (passing them or being around them and their bike) they feel like they have lost their dominance and need to regain it in order to feel normal."

What a horrid existence. sad.png

very correct -> they do not liked being told that they are wrong.

back to topic ;

another thing is they also have this SYNDROME - Thais think that they are INVINCIBLE and won't die, always try to squeeze thru any small nooks that even light cannot pass thru .

this happened to me :

1. was waiting at a 'U-TURN' and this guy was pissed that I waited for the safe distance to turn.so, once it is clear he tail gated me so close i looked back while turning to see how close is he . and since he is so close i looked ( checked ) again during the turning.

overtook me and then moved to the edges of the road,zig zag on the sand and kicked up a storm of dust.

2. again same as the syndrome above - was riding and got in between two trailers.

COMMON SENSE , wait for either one to move further up and then only overtake the slower trailer.

not for Thais , blew his horn at me when overtaking and stick his thumb up... saying I am a sissy...

jeez...

and never seeing this so called crazy male dominance.

cheesy.gif

Cute.

wub.png

Hehe, yes.

Claims to have been driving on Thai roads for 9 years and never sees 'crazy male dominance'. clap2.gif

It is an adorable post.

I guess he also stays out of the Thai news subforum where there are daily news clips of Thais purposefully running people off the road, forcing them to stop before threatening them with weapons, taking out people/vehicles while trying to beat the next guy who overtook them.

coffee1.gif

Just get on with my life riding and having fun, whilst not looking for the phantom specter of the 'aggressive Thai male' - it is called having a life and having a ball :)

Okay, sure. It's just strange then that you're so opinionated about it and the trouble Hi-So's cause you.

Today I got cut off unexpectedly by a Thai guy on a motorbike, lo and behold he waved and gestured that he was sorry - oh dear not all of them are aggressive etc. guess that I was trying to say, guess you don't understand that.

Ride and have fun, that is my opinion, so yeah I am opinionated :)

not all of them are aggressive etc.

A few minutes ago it was none of them are, now it's 'not all of them are'.

Will you make up your mind.

dude it is just a phrase on a crappy forum on the Internet, get over it... you are really obsessed by this aren't you... just go out and ride and stop worrying so much

"The car, driven by what appeared to be a Thai man, with two female passengers, was seen to drive slowly and then the bike, driven by Khun Panuwat aged 32, cut in front to overtake but was then rammed by the car driver."

Didn't like being overtaken....

So rams them off the road.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/830335-car-really-commits-to-ramming-motorbike-in-pattaya/page-2?p=9482726#entry9482726

what's wrong with these people?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/841232-thai-court-orders-confiscation-of-teenagers-car-for-sudden-crisscross-and-zigzag-driving/

• 3 months later...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864282-thai-man-apologises-for-shooting-at-a-female-dentists-car-out-of-anger/

A former lecturer of a well known educational institute was arrested by police on Monday night for allegedly shooting at a car driven by a female dentist apparently out of a fit of anger after the latter overtook his car.

unsure.png

Edited by Happy Grumpy