Stinking toilet paper in the bin, why?

pattjock

Honestly, sometimes you guys are so funny. Really. Does keep my spirits up. Now seriously, I hope to build a very small home, my plan is to use 2 smaller tanks in series to get good digestability. To use outflow into a system under the ground (field) to enrich the bananas. Any opinion, comment? No I use No paper.

After reading a ridiculously long post about used toilet paper I'll tell you why. Most Thai toilets outside of cities are not connected to a sewerage system. They rely on a 'soakwell' system where waste is sent to a n underground well, invariably made out of concrete with holes to allow the liquid to escape from the well.

Using toilet paper and flushing into the well clogs up the holes that allow the water to escape. Consequently the wells fill up quickly and then have to be pumped dry. This costs money. In my house I have two soakwells and having 'bumguns' I do not provide toilet paper. I can go months without having to use the 'honeysucker' trucks that empty the wells.Current price is 120baht a well.

The use of 'bumguns' has been debated ad nauseum on this forum so I'll not elaborate further. How long does anyone spend in a toilet relieving themselves? A few minutes at most. If the sight and smell of a bin with dirty toilet paper offends you that much you must lead a sad life.

This correction to the O/P is absolutely correct. In most parts of Thailand they do not use proper sewage disposal of any form. Toilet paper OF ANY TYPE blocks up the soakwell. Even the dissolve-easy stuff is no help. Swimming at Pattaya, Phuket and other resorts is still an adventure at times. They do sell big round plastic septic tanks of various sizes at Homemart, Thai Watsadu, etc. Builders are happy to install them at extra price but most would not know a field drain system (essential to any proper septic tank installation) if it jumped up and bit them. I was thinking of doing a 10 page dissertation on "The history of recycling toilet paper in Thailand." and another one on "Thai Shrimp paste (Guppee Goong) and Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla) manufacture." Any takers?

Correction to your correction:

Proper toilet paper, usually labelled “Septic Tank Safe” in the west, will not harm a functioning septic tank.

This paper will dissolve into fibres that will be digested by the bacteria in the septic tank.

Most toilet paper sold in Thailand will not dissolve in water, the bacteria will then not be able to digest this paper and it will form a solid cake on top of the matter in the septic tank. This solid cake will then block the baffler in the tank and block the field drain. If pipes are under dimensioned this paper could also block the pipes.

I can understand that many submit to the infinite Thai wisdom of their spouses, if for no other reason to avoid argument.

The easiest way to demonstrate that proper toilet paper can be flushed is to put 3-4 squares in a glass of water and stir with a teaspoon for 10-15 seconds. The result should be a mix of water and tiny bits of fibre. Most toilet paper sold in Thailand will end up as a solid piece of paper wound up around the spoon. The cheapest paper available seems to be the best.

• Like 2

Another in the news recently. Hope it doesn't raise the tone too much.

Long dresses are quite useful for emergencies such as this.

Seems solid from the grainy video,when i worked for dhss back in the Uk ,we had a family of Travellers,in an interveiw room who defeacated,and another who on her claim being refused,laid a log in a large tan envelope[ in the toilet,and then returned to the window],and passed it to the clerk under the security desk' sometin for ya trouble' she said,of course the poor girl opened it and ,overcome by fumes from the steaming log,fainted clean away.

• Like 1

I was so impressed with the bum guns when I first visited Thailand that I bought one and fitted in my toilet in Australia. A visitors started to make a joke out of my fixture until I told him to do his business in a bucket then call me, when I'd tip the sh/t over his head. Then I'd hand him a toilet roll and a hose and he could choose only one to clean himself up. Which one would he choose? He said "The hose of course!" I said that he had answered his own, as that's why I have the bum gun. Only logical to me.

• Like 1

What I do is this, I stick my middle finger through a piece of toilet paper and clean the hole, then clean my finger with the toilet paper and put the paper in my pocket. Does that answer your stupid question?

Not really.....but it tells us quite a bit about you!

• Like 1