Stinking toilet paper in the bin, why?

pattjock

What's with Greece?

Even in newly built houses, you can not throw toilet paper in the toilet.

In stead you must use the waste basket.

It is because they use narrow drainage pipes.

And no bum guns available.

Most tourist are not aware of this, and keep flushing their toilet paper, resulting in clog ups.

I believe this is a scam, organized by the Greek Plumbers Association, in order to secure jobs.

Others say this is a leftover from the old days, when the left hand was used (savings on toilet paper and bum guns).

That would than explain why Turks consider the left hand to be unclean. (Greeks and Turks are 1 people, but never tell them so!)

WHERE IS COSTAS WHEN YOU NEED HIM? Surely he could contribute to this very intellectual thread.

attachicon.giflord.jpg

Maitre, the OP probably is from the UK.

Please tell him, that the stench is not so much from the toilet paper, but from his body as he is used to have a bath once a month back to his Western country.

Also, please tell him that in Greece we always have a bath at least once a day, although we are not western enough to satisfy his standards.

Thank you, Maitre.

Sounds to me like you've been a fan of the right comedy programmes from the UK but have been mixing with the wrong Brits when it comes to hygiene. The England I grew up in always said that cleanliness was next to Godliness and even though I'm an atheist, I showered at least twice a day. I've met more than one Greek that I wouldn't stand downwind from but wouldn't offer that each and every one is the same. I'm disappointed that you generalise so freely. I thought you were better than that.

We live inKhon Kaen and we never use T/paper in the loo we use the water gun, I use T/paper only to blow my nose. Ye the bars and food places ask you to put the paper in the bin provided as they have a lot of problems with blockages with paper and the larger turds.

As I understand it toilet tissue prevents the normal bacterial processes that occur in a septic tank. Tanks can lose most of their volume through this process and never or hardly ever need emptying. Furthermore Thailand, when it dikes have a main drain system simply can't handle the extra solids produced by tissue papers. Laos on the other hand has no such problem....lots of water and gradients.

OS ... I do wiush some freangs would learn how to I see a bum gun properly....these guys don't seem to realise how utterly disgusting they are....they certainly would get to stay in my house more than okncebif they left stinky tissues in my loo or flushed t down the pan...

wrong understanding! toilet paper is organic and therefore dissolved and "eaten up" by septic tank bacteria.

You answered your own long winded question in your second paragraph. It can cause blockages. Why and why do we not (usually) get blockages in most European countries? Because of the diameter of the soil pipe. It's a lot smaller in Thailand than elsewhere. As a matter of interest, it's not only Thais that use the bum-gun. Most expats I know use them too and roo not having them when they return home! It's a cleanliness thing.

• Like 2

You answered your own long winded question in your second paragraph. It can cause blockages. Why and why do we not (usually) get blockages in most European countries? Because of the diameter of the soil pipe. It's a lot smaller in Thailand than elsewhere. As a matter of interest, it's not only Thais that use the bum-gun. Most expats I know use them too and roo not having them when they return home! It's a cleanliness thing.

You have detailed knowledge of how most people you know clean up after dropping a load?

You must have some weird conversations with your friends.

I am flabbergasted by the amazingly high intellectual level of this thread:

70 posts, and no one has yet used the words Thaks%#@ / Thai Bas+#& / If you don't li&(* / Sins(%$ !

Hey fellows, you are not not-mentioning those words just to piss off the samrans and the rubis are you?

same house, mine here, 7 years. always flush paper. never any problems and never had to have the tank pumped. its a falacy IMHO

Agred, we also use toilet paper and flush never a problem with the concrete tank - never had it pumped.

Perhaps many buildings simply are designed to handle sewage well?

After reading a ridiculously long post about used toilet paper I'll tell you why. Most Thai toilets outside of cities are not connected to a sewerage system. They rely on a 'soakwell' system where waste is sent to a n underground well, invariably made out of concrete with holes to allow the liquid to escape from the well.

Using toilet paper and flushing into the well clogs up the holes that allow the water to escape. Consequently the wells fill up quickly and then have to be pumped dry. This costs money. In my house I have two soakwells and having 'bumguns' I do not provide toilet paper. I can go months without having to use the 'honeysucker' trucks that empty the wells.Current price is 120baht a well.

The use of 'bumguns' has been debated ad nauseum on this forum so I'll not elaborate further. How long does anyone spend in a toilet relieving themselves? A few minutes at most. If the sight and smell of a bin with dirty toilet paper offends you that much you must lead a sad life.

What is the problem? empty the very small bin daily ,or/and put nice smelling plastic bags in the bin ,works for us ,,stinky ass giggle.gif

Brilliant piece of research. I too had wondered why toilets carry the sign re not flushing used toilet paper. I feel edumeficated. Well done.

Oh the things you learn on TVF. This week: "How to wipe your butt", coming up next week "How to fake bowel movements".

After reading a ridiculously long post about used toilet paper I'll tell you why. Most Thai toilets outside of cities are not connected to a sewerage system. They rely on a 'soakwell' system where waste is sent to a n underground well, invariably made out of concrete with holes to allow the liquid to escape from the well.

Using toilet paper and flushing into the well clogs up the holes that allow the water to escape. Consequently the wells fill up quickly and then have to be pumped dry. This costs money. In my house I have two soakwells and having 'bumguns' I do not provide toilet paper. I can go months without having to use the 'honeysucker' trucks that empty the wells.Current price is 120baht a well.

The use of 'bumguns' has been debated ad nauseum on this forum so I'll not elaborate further. How long does anyone spend in a toilet relieving themselves? A few minutes at most. If the sight and smell of a bin with dirty toilet paper offends you that much you must lead a sad life.

This correction to the O/P is absolutely correct. In most parts of Thailand they do not use proper sewage disposal of any form. Toilet paper OF ANY TYPE blocks up the soakwell. Even the dissolve-easy stuff is no help. Swimming at Pattaya, Phuket and other resorts is still an adventure at times. They do sell big round plastic septic tanks of various sizes at Homemart, Thai Watsadu, etc. Builders are happy to install them at extra price but most would not know a field drain system (essential to any proper septic tank installation) if it jumped up and bit them. I was thinking of doing a 10 page dissertation on "The history of recycling toilet paper in Thailand." and another one on "Thai Shrimp paste (Guppee Goong) and Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla) manufacture." Any takers?

Edited by The Deerhunter

the bin is thereso someone can recycle it, not?

what if there is no bum gun ?

THAT is my main concern when pooping in public toilets. I've been faced with this situation a few times and as disgusting as it sounds I did the following: Flush the bowl repeatedly until there's nothing left in there, pull out some toilet paper and wrap it around my hand, flush and dip the wrapped toilet paper in the flowing water, getting it soaked, then use it to clean my bum.

Ask yourself "What would McGyver do?"

I've been so impressed by bum guns I've installed several in Australia.

Fact 1. Used properly, a bum gun will clean effectively. With enough pressure, you can even give yourself a partial enema if so desired.

Fact 2. Thai toilet systems can handle the small amount of toilet paper required to dry yourself. They can't handle the gross amounts of paper necessary to clean a backside if a bum gun is not used.

Opinion 1. Putting toilet paper soiled with faeces in a bin is a good argument for retrospective euthanasia.

• Like 1

I've been so impressed by bum guns I've installed several in Australia.

Fact 1. Used properly, a bum gun will clean effectively. With enough pressure, you can even give yourself a partial enema if so desired.

Fact 2. Thai toilet systems can handle the small amount of toilet paper required to dry yourself. They can't handle the gross amounts of paper necessary to clean a backside if a bum gun is not used.

Opinion 1. Putting toilet paper soiled with faeces in a bin is a good argument for retrospective euthanasia.

Couldn't agree more.

signed: A bum gun fan

I posted a thread over a year ago, about Thailand spending billions building, state of the art buildings for rich tourists, but you still have to put soiled toilet paper in plastic bins at the side of the toilets.

They can't even get the water running 24/7, or electricity... Nice condo with superb bathroom and aircon and romantic lighting. Too bad power is off almost every week and water is or off or muddy.

I posted a thread over a year ago, about Thailand spending billions building, state of the art buildings for rich tourists, but you still have to put soiled toilet paper in plastic bins at the side of the toilets.

They can't even get the water running 24/7, or electricity... Nice condo with superb bathroom and aircon and romantic lighting. Too bad power is off almost every week and water is or off or muddy.

I think if you took a survey the overwhelming majority of people would say Thailand has a good record of the electricity and water running almost all the time. I think it is where you live. I've also never had muddy water. I live in three major Thai cities.

This topic is crap & gone down the pan.

On a serious note, wiping crap from your rear with your hand & cleaning with water from the spray or bowl is a much used practice.

Although have you smelled the people who do this?

They smell of crap & their hands stink of Shat. It's not pleasant.

Use toilet paper in all situations where the brown matter is concerned, don't get it on your hands, so double fold, the flush the used crap paper down the toilet. Wash hands with soap & water. Job done, no smell and your smell clean.

Now, on to Greece, their economic issues aren't the only thing they need to sort out (especially in that heat), nasty:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic is crap & gone down the pan.

On a serious note, wiping crap from your rear with your hand & cleaning with water from the spray or bowl is a much used practice.

Although have you smelled the people who do this?

They smell of crap & their hands stink of Shat. It's not pleasant.

Use toilet paper in all situations where the brown matter is concerned, don't get it on your hands, so double fold, the flush the used crap paper down the toilet. Wash hands with soap & water. Job done, no smell and your smell clean.

Now, on to Greece, their economic issues aren't the only thing they need to sort out (especially in that heat), nasty:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toilet paper does not get shat off...it just spreads it.

Heat and humidity add to the displeasure, rash, and possible fungus infection.

Everyone on the bus smells you.

toilet in the bin.....breeding ground for E-coli and hepatitis and cholera

Use the bum gun. Soap and water on hands is a no brainer.