Stinking toilet paper in the bin, why?

pattjock

To farangs this sounds strange as blockages rarely happens back home. (sic)

no it doesn't sound strange because we are smart enough to realise that we are, in fact, not back home... anyone who has done even a small amount of travelling will know that it is very common in countries with less developed and/or extensive sewerage systems to not put toilet paper down the toilet as it causes blockages.

OP, you sound like someone who would benefit from the eye opening experience of travel... coffee1.gif

What's with Greece?

Even in newly built houses, you can not throw toilet paper in the toilet.

In stead you must use the waste basket.

It is because they use narrow drainage pipes.

And no bum guns available.

Most tourist are not aware of this, and keep flushing their toilet paper, resulting in clog ups.

I believe this is a scam, organized by the Greek Plumbers Association, in order to secure jobs.

Others say this is a leftover from the old days, when the left hand was used (savings on toilet paper and bum guns).

That would than explain why Turks consider the left hand to be unclean. (Greeks and Turks are 1 people, but never tell them so!)

WHERE IS COSTAS WHEN YOU NEED HIM? Surely he could contribute to this very intellectual thread.

attachicon.giflord.jpg

Maitre, the OP probably is from the UK.

Please tell him, that the stench is not so much from the toilet paper, but from his body as he is used to have a bath once a month back to his Western country.

Also, please tell him that in Greece we always have a bath at least once a day, although we are not western enough to satisfy his standards.

Thank you, Maitre.

First, I’m from a culture that take bodily hygiene seriously, so that is not the problem. More likely it’s a problem with your olfactory system if you have never noticed this in a Thai public restroom.

Secondly, I’m not the one that ubrought Greece in to this, nidieunimaitre involved Greece in this conversation.

When I first moved in I had constant problems with my toilet getting clogged. The landlady said I should put the paper in a bin after use. That's disgusting! Since then I've switched to cheap toilet paper, which is surprisingly of better quality, wipe and flush wise. The expensive toilet paper is just more rigid and is perfumed with lovely patterns on it.

I also flush as often as I can between wipes. I pay a fixed price of 300thb/month for water, so I'm allowed to waste as much of it as I can.

Based on the large amount of Info, OP needs to write an essay titled "The science of toilet paper!".

When I first moved in I had constant problems with my toilet getting clogged. The landlady said I should put the paper in a bin after use. That's disgusting! Since then I've switched to cheap toilet paper, which is surprisingly of better quality, wipe and flush wise. The expensive toilet paper is just more rigid and is perfumed with lovely patterns on it.

I also flush as often as I can between wipes. I pay a fixed price of 300thb/month for water, so I'm allowed to waste as much of it as I can.

Based on the large amount of Info, OP needs to write an essay titled "The science of toilet paper!".

Thanks for the confirmation of my findings.

Cheap toilet paper is usually good toilet paper, but give it a test before you settle on any specific brand, it could save you a visit from the plummer.

I posted a thread over a year ago, about Thailand spending billions building, state of the art buildings for rich tourists, but you still have to put soiled toilet paper in plastic bins at the side of the toilets.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

Don’t Flush the Toilet Paper in South America

http://myasmine.com/dont-flush-the-toilet-paper-in-south-america/

2014 Sochi Olympics: Don't flush toilet paper

http://fansided.com/2014/02/04/2014-sochi-olympics-dont-flush-toilet-paper/

I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone could be so little traveled not to know about septic tank systems.

post-232807-0-05352300-1429541005_thumb.

Edited by lostoday

As I understand it toilet tissue prevents the normal bacterial processes that occur in a septic tank. Tanks can lose most of their volume through this process and never or hardly ever need emptying. Furthermore Thailand, when it dikes have a main drain system simply can't handle the extra solids produced by tissue papers. Laos on the other hand has no such problem....lots of water and gradients.

OS ... I do wiush some freangs would learn how to I see a bum gun properly....these guys don't seem to realise how utterly disgusting they are....they certainly would get to stay in my house more than okncebif they left stinky tissues in my loo or flushed t down the pan...

Edited by cumgranosalum

It does seem so barbaric and rude to put human waste in a bin all <deleted> day.

Bum gun....pat dry....agreed. I would be so pissed to see a bunch of foul tissue in my bin.

Never heard of it before I came here. disgusting.

25% of USA on septic systems. In the South 46%

http://water.epa.gov/aboutow/owm/upload/2009_06_22_septics_septic_systems_factsheet.pdf

Edited by lostoday

As I understand it toilet tissue prevents the normal bacterial processes that occur in a septic tank. Tanks can lose most of their volume through this process and never or hardly ever need emptying. Furthermore Thailand, when it dikes have a main drain system simply can't handle the extra solids produced by tissue papers. Laos on the other hand has no such problem....lots of water and gradients.

OS ... I do wiush some freangs would learn how to I see a bum gun properly....these guys don't seem to realise how utterly disgusting they are....they certainly would get to stay in my house more than okncebif they left stinky tissues in my loo or flushed t down the pan...

Maybe you should give all your houseguests a training session on arrival?

• Like 1

Merits of different toilet paper .... a First World problem.

I am told that if you were around in the 70s, you would be familiar with the rolled up tracing paper that passed off as toilet paper.

Very shiny stuff, and pretty non-absorbent.

And if you're not careful, might even give you a paper cut in a delicate place!

• Like 1

Merits of different toilet paper .... a First World problem.

I am told that if you were around in the 70s, you would be familiar with the rolled up tracing paper that passed off as toilet paper.

Very shiny stuff, and pretty non-absorbent.

And if you're not careful, might even give you a paper cut in a delicate place!

In 1976 I was drafted (I am Belgian) and did military service at a British base in W Germany - I brought that shiny transparent paper with me to show to my friends.

It had "property of H M Government" printed on it.

And I always brought my own toilet rolls to the base.

• Like 1

Don't worry, OP, I understand the point of your topic and I think your results are interesting too.

-

As to putting paper in the bin, I use the bumgun and then just a bit of paper to dry off too, same as most people who understand what is the best way, however when I am in certain places like rich shopping malls such as Gateway Ekamai that don't bother to provide a bumgun, only paper, I discard the used toilet paper into the toilet and if it clogs it's their own stupid fault for not being civilised, since the idea of putting soiled paper into the bin disgusts me. One would think Gateway Ekamai mall would have bumguns but no.

Som kee na coffee1.gif