Do You Have Car Cam ?

I live in the UK, my only advice is to: A, only buy one that you have seen footage of (I bought from Halfords UK, not cheap but excellent picture quality) however, with hindsight I want more features, but I bought it a long time ago, and, B, Get the biggest memory that it will accept. I was sitting drinking coffee in my car with the engine running, just after I first got it and captured a whole road rage punch up on cam, the bloke committing the assault was a complete bully who got a good hiding, then tried to claim he was beaten up for no reason, the other party was so grateful that we remain good friends as he would probably have got a criminal record just because of some low life

Edited by Powerhousesteve

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the UK, my only advice is to: A, only buy one that you have seen footage of (I bought from Halfords UK, not cheap but excellent picture quality) however, with hindsight I want more features, but I bought it a long time ago, and, B, Get the biggest memory that it will accept. I was sitting drinking coffee in my car with the engine running, just after I first got it and captured a whole road rage punch up on cam, the bloke committing the assault was a complete bully who got a good hiding, then tried to claim he was beaten up for no reason, the other party was so grateful that we remain good friends as he would probably have got a criminal record just because of some low life

I love stories like that.

For 500 thb it is worth to hesitate...

What people are not going to tell you:

- a dashcam without screen is stupid because you won't be able to show "on the fly" to the cops that you are innocent...

- a dascam should also work on external powerbank battery to allow you to record when you park (you can also plug it to the battery but why bother ?)

Edited by thefactoryoutlet

- a dashcam without screen is stupid because you won't be able to show "on the fly" to the cops that you are innocent...

- a dascam should also work on external powerbank battery to allow you to record when you park (you can also plug it to the battery but why bother ?)

I can view my camera within in seconds on my phone using the blackvue app. Also it works via wifi so I can be sat away from the car to do so. Infact at the moment Iam about 10m from my car and I can open the app and watch captured vids from the camera.

Also my camera has parking mode (it is basically asleep but if movement is detected it starts recording) and with the blackvue power magic pro Iam safe from flat batteries.

Edited by Don Mega

I have one, plugged into the lighter socket it starts with the ignition, stops when you turn off. When the memory card is full it simply over writes the oldest files, all totally automatic.

Fit and forget until you have a shunt at which time pop out the SD card ready to use as a separate witness.

IMHO an essential accessory.

"General running around town" is exactly when you need it, that's when you are most likely to have a minor coming together.

Right on. I have one both in the front and back. Put them in after a lady on a motorcycle came right across a duel carriageway, while hidden from my view because of the cars between myself and herself, and left me with no alternative but to hit her (I was on the outside lane preparing to take a right turn, It was a very frightening experience, she went flying into the center gully and completely out of sight, she could have been dead for all I knew. Everybody agreed she was totally in the wrong (including her husband) except she, She had no insurance, tax, helmet or driving licence but still had the cheek to try to get money out of me. Luckily in this instance justice prevailed but I still had pay for all the repairs to my pick-up myself.

It is generally accepted that Farangs are lightly to be blamed for being in the wrong in a lot of the accident cases (but obviously not always so), I swore from that day on I would never leave it to human witnesses alone to tell what had happened. The cameras certainly won't prevent accidents but it is certainly is comforting to know that there is a silent witness in the cab with me to all that is happening around me.

I have one, plugged into the lighter socket it starts with the ignition, stops when you turn off. When the memory card is full it simply over writes the oldest files, all totally automatic.

Fit and forget until you have a shunt at which time pop out the SD card ready to use as a separate witness.

"General running around town" is exactly when you need it, that's when you are most likely to have a minor coming together.

Right on. I have one both in the front and back. Put them in after a lady on a motorcycle came right across a duel carriageway, while hidden from my view because of the cars between myself and herself, and left me with no alternative but to hit her (I was on the outside lane preparing to take a right turn, It was a very frightening experience, she went flying into the center gully and completely out of sight, she could have been dead for all I knew. Everybody agreed she was totally in the wrong (including her husband) except she, She had no insurance, tax, helmet or driving licence but still had the cheek to try to get money out of me. Luckily in this instance justice prevailed but I still had pay for all the repairs to my pick-up myself.

It is generally accepted that Farangs are lightly to be blamed for being in the wrong in a lot of the accident cases (but obviously not always so), I swore from that day on I would never leave it to human witnesses alone to tell what had happened. The cameras certainly won't prevent accidents but it is certainly is comforting to know that there is a silent witness in the cab with me to all that is happening around me.

No, quite often said, but not generally accepted plus not true.

I have one for one simple reason....I am a Varangians and therefore any accident will be my fault. God forbid I get into one but the first thing that will happen if I am capable is that the card will be removed and saved until I can give it to my lawyer. Under no circumstances will the card find its way into any of the BIB hands. I just think it might disappear.

Cheap insurance really.

I have a G1Wc dash cam. Had a tuk tuk cut me off, hook my front bumper causing about 10,00 baht damage, Driver insisted it was my fault. Stuck my sd card in the cop shop's computer showing the tuk tuk cutting me off. Police told the driver to shut up; clearly his fault. When the owner of the tuk tuk showed up and started shouting, the cops braced him against the wall, told him to calm down or they would arrest him. Definitely worth the money; about 2000 baht. I am going to get another one and install it in the back window to record the tailgaters whom I am sure are going to ram me from behind some day. The police copied the incident onto the computer and gave the sd card back to me.

No, quite often said, but not generally accepted plus not true.

Had a driver cross the centerline on a curve catching my right front fender. When my Thai friend read the accident report it said I was at fault. The insurance investigator never asked me whose fault it was. Just assumed. That is when I bought a dash cam.

I got a super wide angle dash cam at 4,200 baht. Takes a 32Gb microUSB, records many hours in 1920x1080, loops when full. Plugs into cigarette lighter. I tried to upload a sample clip from mine but keep getting an error from Thaivisa.

I can view my camera within in seconds on my phone using the blackvue app. Also it works via wifi so I can be sat away from the car to do so. Infact at the moment Iam about 10m from my car and I can open the app and watch captured vids from the camera.

Also my camera has parking mode (it is basically asleep but if movement is detected it starts recording) and with the blackvue power magic pro Iam safe from flat batteries.

I have also have the Blackvue model, it's front and rear facing....

I'm on my 3rd dash cam (in 3 cars - no point in removing them when I sell).

IMO: Blackvue make the best dashcams out there...

No need for paranoia, I have never believed the foreigner will always be at fault in an accident... I've been there and treated fairly (before dashcam days)....

Dashcams are simply a great piece of mind for when or if life takes an unfortunate turn while behind the wheel.

The technology is there I see no reason not to use it.

Sooner or later manufacturers will incorporate these cans in the design of there cars as a passive safety measure.

I have also have the Blackvue model, it's front and rear facing....

I'm on my 3rd dash cam (in 3 cars - no point in removing them when I sell).

IMO: Blackvue make the best dashcams out there...

No need for paranoia, I have never believed the foreigner will always be at fault in an accident... I've been there and treated fairly (before dashcam days)....

Dashcams are simply a great piece of mind for when or if life takes an unfortunate turn while behind the wheel.

The technology is there I see no reason not to use it.

Sooner or later manufacturers will incorporate these cans in the design of there cars as a passive safety measure.

About 6 months ago was a posting here showing a tragic road accident, and a car driving behind also was hit hard and its driver was the only survivor. The police try to put the blame of the accident on him, but...he had a car camera showing everything. Also the camera tape all conversations inside and outside the car, useful for police stops. Many Russian videos on youtube showing similar incidents. That's makes me think about, and I bought a cheap but nice car camera in Lazada for 1.100thb (better ones go upto 6.000thb). Was in our car that is driven just by my wife, 2 weeks ago, when a motorcycle sided a door. The insurance guy was kind of confused about the event, until he saw the camera, and asked if everything was taped. Just that was enough to clear the events, and no to have any problems. Lazada have other type selling for just 400thb, but If I have to buy another, will be the one with 2 lens for 1.475thb, to get the action at front and back. Totally automatic, and can even be used like photo/video home camera.

Nice stuff.

attachicon.gifCamera2.jpg

What's the point of the rear facing camera? From what I've read it only records what's happening inside the car.

Ahhhh.... rear facing... kinda means facing to the rear, the back, like what's happening behind.

You were joking.... right.

Cheers..... Mal.

Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about ?? Maybe Google a few dash cam products & find out how they work.

I've had a top of the line dash cam for ages... worth every penny. Oh, and they DO work when you're parked.

Cheers..... Mal.

- Never give the police evidence against you. I would always tell them it is broken and review the footage at a later time to determine who was at fault.

- Someone runs into your car causing damage and drives off while it is parked.. if you have a good camera that detects an impact while parked then you have evidence of who struck you car.

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu

About 6 months ago was a posting here showing a tragic road accident, and a car driving behind also was hit hard and its driver was the only survivor. The police try to put the blame of the accident on him, but...he had a car camera showing everything. Also the camera tape all conversations inside and outside the car, useful for police stops. Many Russian videos on youtube showing similar incidents. That's makes me think about, and I bought a cheap but nice car camera in Lazada for 1.100thb (better ones go upto 6.000thb). Was in our car that is driven just by my wife, 2 weeks ago, when a motorcycle sided a door. The insurance guy was kind of confused about the event, until he saw the camera, and asked if everything was taped. Just that was enough to clear the events, and no to have any problems. Lazada have other type selling for just 400thb, but If I have to buy another, will be the one with 2 lens for 1.475thb, to get the action at front and back. Totally automatic, and can even be used like photo/video home camera.

Nice stuff.

attachicon.gifCamera2.jpg

What's the point of the rear facing camera? From what I've read it only records what's happening inside the car.

Ahhhh.... rear facing... kinda means facing to the rear, the back, like what's happening behind.

You were joking.... right.

Cheers..... Mal.

If you'd taken the trouble to read all the posts instead of trying to be a smart arse, you'd know I was referring to the twin lens camera, not a separate rear camera.

This sounds like the perfect gadget :D

Now just have to find the money to afford to buy a car in Thailand......

Just last month when renewing my Insurance for another year, my agent handed me a cheap (Chinesse) brand DVR and said "Happy New Year"... Unit was so cheap that it took me two days to get it to function, worthless manual in Chinese, Thai and unbeleivibly poor English,,, Gave it back to him saying "Thank you, but No Thank You"...

I might consider purchasing a decent unit in the future if the cost vs value seems in line..

Pianoman

I would go as far as saying a dash cam is an essential item for every ferang driving in Thailand.

Besides the accident aspect you can pick up funny or spectacular footage without effort. For example the recent tragic air crash in Taiwan was recorded on a dash cam and then viewed by millions of people around the world.

Edited by billphillips

I've been thinking about buying a dash cam for a while but I run my GPS off the cigarette lighter when out and about (apart from trips to the supermarket etc). Are there dash cams that work off a battery that I could use when on a longer trip?

Alan

I've been thinking about buying a dash cam for a while but I run my GPS off the cigarette lighter when out and about (apart from trips to the supermarket etc). Are there dash cams that work off a battery that I could use when on a longer trip?

Alan

You can buy a double (or triple) adapter for the cigarette lighter so you can run both.

post-130068-0-77180200-1423540965_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

Been thinking about getting one but thousands of choices on the market. Perhaps posters could say which brand/model they're using

There have been several previous posts where various brands have been discussed. Also worth doing a Google search for best car cam.

Been thinking about getting one but thousands of choices on the market. Perhaps posters could say which brand/model they're using

There have been several previous posts where various brands have been discussed. Also worth doing a Google search for best car cam.
Lots but this on " KDLINKS® X1 Full-HD" looks impressive and i think cheaper the blacvue.

Edited by yankee99