Moving to Thailand Confusion, help please.

Hi, I was hoping someone on here could give me a bit of advice please, I have a couple of questions|:

I am moving back to Thailand with my Thai wife who I have been married to for 5 years, we will be leaving the UK in December. (we have been both living in UK for 5 years and she has Uk and Thai citizenship).

I am thinking about getting a non-o visa based on marriage and will get the 3 entries so that it gives us time to settle and get a permenant address before I apply for a marriage visa, now here is question one .... after looking up info on the Siam Legal website, it says that to qualify for a marriage visa, then I need a safety deposit of 400,000 baht in my thai bank account, but how can I have this if the only way I can get a Thai account is to already have a marriage visa ?

Question 2, if I get multiple entry visa for the 9 months, do I still have to cross the border every 90 days even though the visa is based on marriage ?

We are planning to move to Koh Samui.

I would appreciate any sensible help on these topics if pos please.

Cheers

• Like 2

I am thinking about getting a non-o visa based on marriage and will get the 3 entries so that it gives us time to settle and get a permenant address before I apply for a marriage visa, now here is question one

With this "marriage visa" you probably mean an extension of stay for one year to apply for at your local Thai immigration office.

For that you need to show financials of 400'000 Baht in a Thai bank account or proof of 40'000 Baht income per month.,

Proof of income usually provided by your embassy in Thailand.

After you get this extension of stay you no longer have to leave the country, Just reporting to Thai immigration every 90 days.

Stay away from "commercial" web sites which are invariably at least out dated and most likely misleadingly wrong !

Just recently in another thread there was an example for totally outdated information on such a website.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Thanks but the info on the Banking forum is just as much out of date, I just wanted some up to date information.

As for the visa, are you saying that you can get a 60 extension on every 90 day entry as I thought it was only 30 days?

As already indicated, getting an extension of stay based on marriage is not rocket science.....it's simple to achieve without involving lawyers....take anything you hear telling you otherwise with a pinch of salt....

it says that to qualify for a marriage visa, then I need a safety deposit of 400,000 baht in my thai bank account, but how can I have this if the only way I can get a Thai account is to already have a marriage visa ?

It's not a "marriage visa," it's an extension of stay based on marriage. It allows you to stay in the country, but not to pass in and out of the country as a visa would do. Once you have the extension of stay, you would need a re-entry permit to travel out and in while preserving you extension.

People open bank accounts when they're here on tourist visas or visa exempt entries or whatever. You don't need to be married.

Depending on where you plan to settle, you choose a branch of one of the major Thai banks and ask to apply. You may need to try a few different places, because some branches may not want to be bothered, but if you go to a bank branch in an area where they're likely to already have a fair number of farang customers, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going to be here for awhile on a non-imm O there should be no problem having the money in the bank for two months before applying for the extension of stay. You can go to apply for the extension during the last month or so of you most recent visa entry. If you have foreign derived income, you can get a letter from your embassy to confirm the amount if it's Baht 40,000 or more a month and use that instead of the money in the bank method.

Once you're married, you might as well go ahead and get the year long extension of stay based on marriage. The 60 day extension to visit your wife, obviously, can only be done once you're married, but at that point if you have the money in the bank and are married, it seems like doing the 60 day extension if/while you still have a valid visa entry and when you could get the full year extension, is just adding more hassle and expense.

"Once you're married, you might as well go ahead and get the year long extension of stay based on marriage."

"I am moving back to Thailand with my Thai wife who I have been married to for 5 years, we will be leaving the UK in December. (we have been both living in UK for 5 years and she has Uk and Thai citizenship)."

it says that to qualify for a marriage visa, then I need a safety deposit of 400,000 baht in my thai bank account, but how can I have this if the only way I can get a Thai account is to already have a marriage visa ?

It's not a "marriage visa," it's an extension of stay based on marriage. It allows you to stay in the country, but not to pass in and out of the country as a visa would do. Once you have the extension of stay, you would need a re-entry permit to travel out and in while preserving you extension.

People open bank accounts when they're here on tourist visas or visa exempt entries or whatever. You don't need to be married.

Depending on where you plan to settle, you choose a branch of one of the major Thai banks and ask to apply. You may need to try a few different places, because some branches may not want to be bothered, but if you go to a bank branch in an area where they're likely to already have a fair number of farang customers, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going to be here for awhile on a non-imm O there should be no problem having the money in the bank for two months before applying for the extension of stay. You can go to apply for the extension during the last month or so of you most recent visa entry. If you have foreign derived income, you can get a letter from your embassy to confirm the amount if it's Baht 40,000 or more a month and use that instead of the money in the bank method.

Once you're married, you might as well go ahead and get the year long extension of stay based on marriage. The 60 day extension to visit your wife, obviously, can only be done once you're married, but at that point if you have the money in the bank and are married, it seems like doing the 60 day extension if/while you still have a valid visa entry and when you could get the full year extension, is just adding more hassle and expense.

"Once you're married, you might as well go ahead and get the year long extension of stay based on marriage."

"I am moving back to Thailand with my Thai wife who I have been married to for 5 years, we will be leaving the UK in December. (we have been both living in UK for 5 years and she has Uk and Thai citizenship)."

OK. I misread that in your first post, I thought you were saying you needed to be married before opening a bank account, but I now see you were saying that you wanted to open a bank account before getting your extension (not visa) based on marriage. Either way it shouldn't be a problem, but might take a few visits to different bank branches.

Also, I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think you can apply for a year's extension of stay based on marriage if you're in the country on an extension to visit your wife. I think you have to be in the country based on a non imm O visa entry. If you get an extension of stay to visit your wife, you'd probably still have to go and come back using the visa and apply for the full extension of stay based on marriage towards the end of that visa entry.

• Like 1

Also, I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think you can apply for a year's extension of stay based on marriage if you're in the country on an extension to visit your wife. I think you have to be in the country based on a non imm O visa entry. If you get an extension of stay to visit your wife, you'd probably still have to go and come back using the visa and apply for the full extension of stay based on marriage towards the end of that visa entry.

The extension is not the issue, but the type initial entry is. If not made with a non-imm visa, it can be converted at Thai immigration. At this time is not clear if only in Bangkok, or at other offices too.

If you have a Thai wife it is easy to open a bank account. Just have her go with you to the bank with her house book and ID card.. She can be your reference to open the account.

You can either get a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the embassy in London with no need for financial proof.

You can get a single entry and then the 60 day extension to visit your wife which should give you plenty of time to get ready for the one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 1

And he wouldn't gain anything if the money where aged when he arrived. He can't apply for the extension that early. And doing like Joe wrote, there are plenty of time to get ready with the money and other things.

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

You can get a Thai bank account anytime even without a non-immigration visa. Bangkok Bank, the bank I use, prove the following alternatives:

1) Get a letter of recommendation from your British bank that states what a good customer you are; or

2) If your wife has a Thai bank account, not a newly opened one, she could recommend you.

It has been said by many the Kasikorn Bank is the easiest one, and stay away from Siam Commercial Bank (my opinion).

Also, open the account in the province where you settle. Inter-provincial transactions have an added fee.

• Like 2

Just one point ...............

stgrhe suggests "Get a letter of recommendation from your British bank that states what a good customer you are"

Make sure that you have it translated into Thai and just maybe perhaps certified as a true and correct translation .

Q.1 anyone can have an account in Thailand, read in banking forum for more details. Make sure the account is in your name only.

Q.2 the non-imm 'O' visa has either single or unlimited entries, never just 3. You need to leave country every 90 days, you can also obtain a 60 days extension without any proof of funds. That brings the total visa "life" to almost 17 months.

Marriage Visa requires a bank account in both names...

re -- post 8, i am pretty sure the income has to be a lot more than 40,000 baht, perhaps someone can quote a proper figure. more in the region of 65,000 but some one will be along soon to put that right

For an extension of stay based upon marriage the income requirement is 40k baht. The 65k baht number is for retirement.

• Like 1

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

So, two options for your marriage extension.

1) 400Kb in a bank account in your sole name for 60 days prior to the date of your application and future renewals.
Note: Should you have a joint account, the required sum doubles)

2) Proof from your Embassy or Consul of at least a monthly regular income of 40Kb. You have to provide the statements of the off shore account, highlighting the receipts concerned (say from a pension etc)

Note that the Brit Emb/Consul charge about £50 for the letter of proof and may require you to submit your request and paperwork on one day and return another day for the letter which Immigration will keep. (Every time you need a proof letter, another £50).

Me, I turned up with no visa.

Was given a 30 day visa waiver stamp. Then I opened a bank account but stupidly didn't transfer necessary funds, (I used the proof method £50 LOL)

Near the end of the waiver, I visited Immigration and got a 90 day Non Imm O. (For which I needed the proof letter)

Towards the end of the 90 day visa, another proof letter! and got my visa extension of stay for 1 year.

I choose the retirement extension rather than marriage even though the funds requirement is higher, 800Kb for 60 days (first time and 90 days subuseqent times)

or 65Kb proof letter.

The reason I choose this was that the 1 year is given on the spot.

With the marriage extension as explained above, you need more paperwork and maybe even people to act a witness to the fact that you are married and do live where you say but what was not mentioned is that on application, Immigration give you an inital 30 day stamp only.

They then send the documents to their "Head Office" for approval.

At 30 days, you revisit Immigration and get another stamp for 11 months.

The advantage to a marriage extension is that you can get a work permit.

With a retirement visa you cannot.

On the dark side, if your wife should die, your extension is cancelled, with retirement - it is not affected.

The marriage extension may need the Immigration office to send someone to your address to veryfy everything at some future date.

Although this rarely happens, perhaps cos they are too busy.

Finally, on arrival, if you stay in a rented property, own property or with friends, Remember to send in the TM28 form to Immigration to notify them of your address.

When you stay in a Hotel, Guest House etc, they automatically notify Immigration of your details.

Many people are not aware of this and it may not cause problems if not done.

BUT, there is a significan fine that can be applied to the house owner for failing to make the report should they need to.....

All necessary forms TM 28

TM7 Application for extension of stay

TM8 Application for a re-entry permit are all available for download from Thai Visa Forum.

Good luck with your trip in December.

• Like 1

A joint account will not be accepted for an extension of stay based upon marriage no matter how much money you have in the bank.

Even for an extension of stay for retirement I think you will find that most offices will not longer accept them even if you have 1.6 million in the account.

I'm sure some has said thus but I can't be bothered to read all th usual negative comments.

I opened a bank account two months ago, go to Thailand, rent somewhere ( or even get fake rental agreement - which is what I did), go to Immigration and get a Residency Certificate ( 300bht) and then go to bank and open account . Mine is which Bangkok Bank . Some may not accept certificate, if not , go to a different bank. Job done.

Don't sweat the bank account,i have 4,and not married.You may have to bank shop a bit though.Look into a OA visa in your own country using 800k in your English acc.,and no seasoning.Then shift money into a fixed deposit in Thailand and get better interest and tax back,every year.Better visa option imhp,and immi prefer it too,less hassel all round.

Edited by louse1953
  • Like 1

Thanks but the info on the Banking forum is just as much out of date, I just wanted some up to date information.

As for the visa, are you saying that you can get a 60 extension on every 90 day entry as I thought it was only 30 days?

Under the amendments to the BOT regulations on visa status last year a multi entry Non Imm O is acceptable as a long term visa, banks words, not mine.

I was pulled into the bank over my online banking and had to show evidence of a "long term visa".