Thai Junta to Issue New Law Banning Begging

Lite Beer

I will believe it when I see it!!

What are the beggars gonna do? , who is going to enforce this "law"(think about this one) & more importantly where are they gonna go.

Over two decades ago most beggars I saw here had leprosy & they had genuine reasons to beg, poor devils

The government has no money left to look after them, it's all been committed to new high speed trains

How about a law banning poverty, just in case "some" of these beggars are legit ?

Write it into the Constitution as well so the Shins can continue the practice when they get back in. thumbsup.gif

Edited by mikemac

Will this law affect the way the Temples collect their donations?

<Snip> the following actions constitute begging:

- asking for assets of others with words, texts, or any other gesture, without compensating the giver with any form of work or assets. (The clause excludes asking for money from family members and lawful charity fundraising)

- committing any gesture that compels others to donate assets out of pity, without compensating the giver with any form of work or assets.

<Snip>

That is pretty damn funny !! :-) Looks like parts were snipped out , but the point was

made....

• Like 1

Does that mean the monks walking about with alms bowels which is effectively begging will be arrested too ? thought not.

That's not begging it's an opportunity for the public to make a merit by giving food, monks normally do not need it as they have people cooking for them even in forest temples. Monking is not begging, it's a business!

• Like 2

- asking for assets of others with words, texts, or any other gesture, without compensating the giver with any form of work or assets. (The clause excludes asking for money from family members and lawful charity fundraising)

- committing any gesture that compels others to donate assets out of pity, without compensating the giver with any form of work or assets.

<Snip>

The monks do say a prayer for you.

dont forget aretha franklin..she said a little prayer for YOU......taxi for winstonc

That's Dionne Warwick and written by Burt Bacharach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kafVkPxjLYg

Aretha did the original but didn't make it popular.

Edited by rametindallas

how the <deleted> can you train a person with missing legs arms and is blind

"Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can do"

You don't have much imagination do you? Do you think the people you listed do nothing all day? The are limited in their abilities but not incapacitated. Almost everyone can do something useful. Legless people can work in toll booths and parking lot booths, the blind (many work at Marble House) can do massage, etc.

how about banning poverty?

Has that ever been done before? Anywhere? How would you treat lazy people? Jesus said, "The poor will always be among us".

I don't recall Jesus claiming that the poor were lazy...

You put one and one together and got three. Misconstrue, much?

My gf recently told me of a vdo she saw on Ch 3 about an American young boy begging on the street and no American was giving him money. Her point was that Thais are so much more compassionate about helping the poor than are Westerners. I tried explaining to her that kids begging is abhorrent to Americans and that if the police had seen this kid, they'd take him to Child Protective Services and an examination would be made of the parents' suitability to be parents.

It is an absolute disgrace in Thailand to see all the toddlers/kids on the street holding out cups begging while some no good adult sleeps on the sidewalk near them. The first priority in any begging crackdown must be to get these kids off the street into schools and under care and supervision that they need. (Perhaps a bit of naivety about what Thailand can/will do to help these children.)

BTW: For some years I was involved in the issue of child labor around the world. I once attended a conference where an internationally recognized expert on child labor spoke. I asked him that, given many child laborers may end up in dire straights after being freed, if he thought that was acceptable. After thinking a bit, his answer was that if currently freed child laborers suffered but all all future generations were free of the possibility of being child laborers, then the trade off between now and then was acceptable.

how about banning poverty?

Has that ever been done before? Anywhere? How would you treat lazy people? Jesus said, "The poor will always be among us".

maybe I just misunderstood you.

you juxtapose jesus, the poor, and laziness... it seemed to me to be strongly implying that the poor are lazy with added religious overtones.

maybe I just misunderstood you.

you juxtapose jesus, the poor, and laziness... it seemed to me to be strongly implying that the poor are lazy with added religious overtones.

You should have a conversation with a welfare fraud investigator sometime. It'll open your eyes.

• Like 1

Public begging by using babies or displaying amputations for pity, is a stain on the reputation of Bangkok. It tells the world that Thailand doesn't care for its least fortunate. It doesn't matter that some of it is sponsored by organized crime or that some beggars find it easier than working for a living, it still offends the senses of tourists and leaves a bad memory of their visit to the Kingdom. My mia noi said that most are not even Thai but Cambodian; I don't know if that is true or not but no one should be blocking the stairs of a BTS station with their hand or cup out. Exploiting children to sell garlands or roses is reprehensible. It the government is willing to offer them retraining or a job, I think it is a good idea to ban them.

About ten years ago a friend of mind told me about her close friend who had a very young child. This close friend got a phone call from her friend who told her she thinks she sees her baby with a beggar. My friend's close friend went to the location and found her child being used by a professional beggar. The police were called and it turned out that the woman's maid was renting the child out to the beggar while the mother was at work. Begging is easier than working a real job and some of them make a lot of money. A few years ago, in Bangkok, there was a blind singer who would go into restaurants and people would give him money. The police investigated and he was making several thousand Baht per day and wasn't even blind. Scammers are everywhere. I would like to see all jobs as toll booth operators, ticket takers at parking areas, etc, go only to those who can't walk. I once saw a Thai cripple (not a beggar) wearing a T-shirt that said, "Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can do". Wise words.

The Cambodians should be deported for working without a work permit. How dare they take away begging jobs from Thais, taking advantage of the fact they look the same as Thais.

<Snip>

Absolutely spot on, so what will become of the monks ? the early morning parade with their collection bowls for donations.

The countless daughters in the entertainment industry sending money back to Moma in Issan...............who gains enormous face by giving most of it to the local temple and then doesnt have enough for food for the family

Monks wandering into cafes and putting an envelope in front of your partner and waiting for a bung without question?

The countless exchanges between partners.....................honey you gave momma 5k baht less that ten days ago, why do you need to send more now? Moma go temple have to give money to make merit!

Believe it or not their are some thinking Thais out there who question all of the above and think it is a load of boll%cks! and privately will admit to this!

Your boorish comment is both insulting and demeaning to the people of Thailand.

I am not Buddhist but my wife and her entire family are and they have nothing in common with the rubbish you write. Unlike you I do respect their religion, as they respect mine.

Read forum rule #11 and note the words "Thai people" - "basis of" and "religion".