Army demolition team called-in as Pattaya Hotel Demolition saga continues

webfact

Army demolition team called-in as Pattaya Hotel Demolition saga continues

hotel-3.jpg?4ad0a8

PATTAYA: -- Army demolition teams were called in to knock down ground-floor walls of a South Pattaya Hotel which is the subject of a demolition order due to a breach of planning regulations.

The long-running issues at the Pattaya Boutique Hotel in Soi VC have left many local officials frustrated as the owners of the Hotel have continuously refused to accept demolition orders which were issued, as plans to initially construct a 7-floor Hotel were changed to become a 13-floor Hotel but crucially the new plans were not submitted for approval to the local city planning department, who deemed the construction illegal.

The Provincial Governor has visited the site on numerous occasions, along with other high-ranking local government officials and on Monday a team of Army officials were called in to begin demolition of parts of the Hotel in a show of strength from the local authorities who have clearly had-enough and want the Hotel demolished in accordance with the order issued by the Pattaya Provincial Court.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/185763/army-demolition-team-called-in-as-pattaya-hotel-demolition-saga-continues/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-04-21

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either knock it down or leave it - stupidity and bribes at work here me thinks

seriously ? what on earth is going on with this

someone outside of Pattaya needs to get involved here as the locals are getting confused

It is sort of like their understanding of water flow cheesy.gif

Why in the world would you demolish the ground floor, it the problem is the 8th through 13th floors w00t.gif

Because then the 1st floor becomes the ground floor and uou just keep going until desired height is reached!

Farang not know ;-)

Thainess, Farang not understand!

I know you are being cynical but I really don't understand. I'm just guessing that if you punch enough holes in the ground floor making it inhabitable and blocking access to other floors - job done! Owners would have a hard time renting it out. I could be 1000 percent wrong on this one!

I would suspect if all planning applications were checked on already finished buildings then probably many would not meet the regs. I suspect though this has been the culture for a long time. Put an application in get approval then build what you want. Things are changing even if slowly.

Someone didn't get his share of the bribe moneys it seems....

Hey isn't this what happened to Thermae in BKK? they closed the place down by demolishing the reception area and business continued as usual in the basement(-1 floor)? Although nowadays it is frequented by Pakistanis, Indians and "alabs", in it's heydays it was very nice in the early morning hours.

Edited by AlQaholic

I guess that is the way things are done in Pattaya , get permission for an acceptible 7 storey hotel and then change it to 13 storeys by sleight of hand .

Demolition of the ground floor by the army cannot be disputed and makes the hotel inoperable . The owners have to spend money to demolish the rest .

Be interesting also when they get to the high rise condo at the marina end of Walking street. Another one that went higher than approval and building suspended

. Sorry I didn't see ya, Batboy, Great Minds think alike.

Be interesting also when they get to the high rise condo at the marina end of Walking street. Another one that went higher than approval and building suspended

No Problem's. Just buying a condo in Jomtien myself that is just being built so hope its all ok also. Only problem is how many Russians bought condo's to and have had to let go because of their money issues

Only in Thailand and other 3rd world countries can you refuse a court order without repercussions. It is very simple, refuse and you go to prison until you decide to comply. Prison is a great deterrent, especially for the rich, who can actually afford to comply with the court order and thereby choose to avoid prison.

Edited by monkeycountry

I guess that is the way things are done in Pattaya , get permission for an acceptible 7 storey hotel and then change it to 13 storeys by sleight of hand .

Demolition of the ground floor by the army cannot be disputed and makes the hotel inoperable . The owners have to spend money to demolish the rest .

Or, since the army will not be demolishing the supporting columns, simply build the ground floor walls again when the army leaves and open the hotel. I am guessing that will be both cheaper and more profitable for the owners.

I thought they went in and smashed this place up about a year ago!

Just get on with it, they sure can procrastinate here.

A probable scenario; The government official who owns the place got the go ahead to construct under YL. He is hoping he can stall the demolition just in time for a favorable change of regime, maybe, perhaps, who knows.

No Problem's. Just buying a condo in Jomtien myself that is just being built so hope its all ok also. Only problem is how many Russians bought condo's to and have had to let go because of their money issues
. Best of Luck, Prices moving yet?

I thought they went in and smashed this place up about a year ago!

Just get on with it, they sure can procrastinate here.

A probable scenario; The government official who owns the place got the go ahead to construct under YL. He is hoping he can stall the demolition just in time for a favorable change of regime, maybe, perhaps, who knows.

Doubtful. National politics does not really come into play in Pattaya whereas local government has been under the control of the same family for decades.

And here you are, Toscano, trying to find a rational explanation. Tsk tsk... farangness facepalm.gif

yes, way past high time they demolished this monstrosity.