Anyone notice their favs disappearing from Villa Markets?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/20/2016 at 1:25 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just taking a guess here based on past experience.

In this world of international retailing, the big international consumer products companies have their products manufactured in different countries whose output goes to different regions/countries. And it may well be that there are subtle or sometimes not to subtle differences based on the point of manufacture, even though the product name is the same.

For example, around Halloween and Christmas time, I sometimes like to buy some chocolate treats like Snickers bars or Mars bars. Those are original U.S. products. And they're available here in Thailand, but if you read the Thailand-bought labels closely, you'll see the ones here are made in China for some reason. And I'm not real keen on consuming chocolates made in China.

Same with Doritos toritilla chips made by Pepsico. Here in Thailand, there's an export version made in Taiwan. And then there's a regular version made somewhere else (can't recall off the top of my head).

You will also find American made Doritos that say "export only" I am guessing these get rejected by quality control and get shipped out. 

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

You will also find American made Doritos that say "export only" I am guessing these get rejected by quality control and get shipped out. 

This is the weird kind of stuff I was talking about in my prior answer.

FWIW, the Doritos bags I buy here in BKK have a big EXPORT stamp printed on the front of the bag and are made in Taiwan. But on the reverse side, there's information re Thailand, Malaysia, Phils and one other country.  So presumably the EXPORT labeling means they're made in Taiwan and intended for export to other countries in SE Asia. I don't think the export label on the Taiwan ones has anything to do with quality control.

I'm guessing that many big producers/suppliers offer discounts when over stocked, and when on normal pricing these stores discontinue. I lived near a large chocolate candy plant and it was not uncommon for them to send large truck loads of products to the landfill to avoid having to play the sale game for nearly outdated products. Their products are always on the shelves here.

On July 13, 2015 at 11:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good news from Villa Market, at least the Suk Soi 11 branch.

On a visit there today, I found they had finally restocked quite a few of their long missing items.

Lots of Casa Fiesta canned frijole and bean varieties, Mezzetta and Casa Fiesta jalapeno jars back on the shelf, still have Vlasic pickle sandwich stackers, decent stocks of Johnsonville frozen sausages, although not as many varieties as before, even have stocks of frozen Eggo waffles again (which the manager there previously had told me the supermarket chain had discontinued due to lack of demand...)

Let's hope they can at least manage to barely keep their shelves stocked for the future.

2015-07-13 12.24.00.jpg

2015-07-13 12.33.10.jpg

Unfortunately, the last time they were in stock some months back, the Mezzetta sliced jalapenos were selling for 149b per jar at Villa. Today they were priced at 195b per jar...for the same exact product. Someone's making a killing...

OK very good I hope Udon Thani Villa market has the same. I guess the tariffs that Thailand adds to the prices is a big factor in these prices. I can buy many products in the USA that are made in foreign countries for less than they cost next door to the plant where they are made. Going the other way our products are at least doubled in price. If the US ever made equal tariffs it would send world manufacturing into a tailspin. Never gonna happen as all these foreign and US owned foreign companies are in the pockets of Congress in the US.

That photo of the imported stock at Villa was from more than a year ago, after a long drought here of U.S. imported foodstuffs, apparently related to a West Coast dock workers strike at the time.

Unfortunately, my same local Villa in BKK where that photo was taken today has but a small portion of the different products shown in that older photo, and nowhere near as much stock of those that it does still offer.

On 4/21/2015 at 0:46 AM, maswov said:

I'm glad I learned how to make some of the things which are hard to get here.

Yes I learned how to make refried beans even better than can buy

I bake my own sourdough bread.

make my own tortillas, homemade chocolate pudding.

now if I could only make U.S.D.A. choice grade A  TBone steak :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2015 at 0:14 PM, Seligne2 said:

Here in Chiang Mai I shop for Western foods at Rimping (Nawarat). I too have a regular shopping list of staples. Overall, I am pleased with Rimping, but their restocking leaves much to be desired. I have not done proper research on this, but I note that when I look for an item like Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and can't find it, I look for it every time I go in. Several times a week. They have been out of it for at least a month now. This applies to other items as well. Some items, like Mezzetta brand hot chili peppers I find once (one jar) and never again. I attribute it to crappy inventory control.

Rimping's problem is that it doesn't have a central warehouse from which to distribute goods.  You can get usually get Leah and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce at Makro.