Few Thais can make ends meet: Survey

Lite Beer

Bruceybonus. That is the most ridiculous comment I have heard today. Yes, Western countries have much higher salaries but guess what, they also have much higher debt. And we are not talking about what a person can actually afford because quite frankly most people cannot afford the lifestyle that they choose to live anyway. I bet plently of people on 300 quid per month may not have a new car but rest assured they still have their iphone. The Thais I know who don't make a lot of baht don't own cars and the owns that do make an ok salary do own cars.

People sit here and bash the Thais for their inability to manage their finances when in reality the vast majority of people in most if not all countries are in the very same predicament as here in Thailand.

I've not talked to the" vast majority of people in most if not all countries", so I cannot say the same with any degree of credibility."

I don't have access to their personal finances and do very well regulating my own, which is my business.

• Like 1

People sit here and bash the Thais for their inability to manage their finances when in reality the vast majority of people in most if not all countries are in the very same predicament as here in Thailand.

It is not only individuals that spend more than they earn, looking at global data of National debt and National debt per person in the countries is a little worrying. This link http://www.finder.com.au/press-release-australia-ranks-13th-highest-national-debt-out-of-g20-nations has nice little maps showing the spread of both National Debt and ND per person. Not only will it disturbed some but also may cause them to reconsider some of the smug ethnocentric answers.

Sure many Thais find it difficult to make ends meet - as we would if we were at or nearly the poverty line. Agreed that many people have spending priorities different to mine. I own a couple of houses, have a 21 year old motor vehicle and a G2 phone. Only debt is may share (as a single person) of the National debt - about $23,000

I asked a friend of mine who works in an office in BKK why she had a smart phone. Answer was that she wanted/needed to be able to keep in contact with her kids and parents in Issan while she was working in BKK. Some of us are lucky that we do not have to make some of the hardest decisions in life.

Sometimes I do have a laugh with some of the Nation's articles.

What has to do the Thais income with elections this year?

I do understand that they are in trouble as they have no sense of financial responsibilities and they borrow money as there is no tomorrow,

but elections or not elections will not help them.

Some education could help them, but this is also too late.

Hard to manage finances on less than 15k a month.

And that's the Thais with educations.

Without education less than 300bht/day,

I think I would give up too.

085705d0-8b5c-4994-a3fc-4536c81e3527_zps

one of the things missing here is credit checks. It seems that anybody that wants another credit card can get one if they want, just sign here....

Most that I know that cannot makes ends meet is because of their debt which is usually more than they make, but then again, the system seems

to be, "it's up to you". If you want more credit but don't have the means to afford it, that's your choice.

I do understand that they are in trouble as they have no sense of financial responsibilities and they borrow money as there is no tomorrow,

The author was probably alluding to the fact that if there was to be an election that many Thai could earn extra income by selling their votes (over and over again). cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I'm going to get it in the neck I'm sure.! All this I phone stuff.

I bought a mobile phone 6 years ago for 999 baht. It still works perfectly. Dinasour eh! cheesy.gif

Not really. I bought a 3G phone for work in New Zealand back ib 2008 and finally replaced it with an I mobile (not an Iphone) last year for less that 4,000 baht. The main reason for that was the screen was to small to see even when I replaced my glasses.

My wife had her mobile for 10 years before she replaced it with a Samsung last year. Now of course she uses it more and her phone bill has gone up.

• Like 1

I bought a mobile phone 6 years ago for 999 baht. It still works perfectly. Dinasour eh! cheesy.gif

Probably one of the smartest decisions is not to have a 'smart' phone. I do have one, but I'm usually cursing at it, and often look at fellow foreigners that have a regular phone and think I should do the same. The only reason I keep it is for the Thai-English dictionary, and the ability to google something when out with friends and nobody can remember the name of a song written decades ago or some other quiz like question.

Also, I can go days without using it even though it is on my person. Many are more interested in their latest device more than the company they are in.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

thats what keeps the gold shops ( money lending) and mafia lenders in business

I do not understand how gold shops are money lenders?

no mr. Seal they are ponshops. Come on man !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In most countries mr. diablo you cannot buy a car or get credit when you don't have money or even own land.

It is a fact that many or most Thai are notorious for not understanding money, financies or financial planning It is a fact that many Thai cannot read contracts or even know what a contract is. It is a fact that Thai borrow money and do not care or even think about the consequences of borrowing money.

Furthermore this has nothing to do with bashing, but stating facts which you don't want to hear.

• Like 1

"Two thirds also said Thailand has no necessity in hosting elections within this year"

A TRUE STATEMENT

"Thailand" is the surrogate for the government and the Junta has stated elections will NOT happen in 2015. Thus, there is no necessity in hosting elections within this year, regardless whether the public wants them this year or not.

I bought a mobile phone 6 years ago for 999 baht. It still works perfectly. Dinasou

Well done; i bought my last phone in 2007 for 17 quid ( about 900 Baht ) and it still works. It makes and receives phone calls and texts which is what i wanted it for. I think i can take a photo' with it but that doesn't interest me. I have no idea why people find it so 'cool' to own the latest gadget. I used to write letters to family and friends but people don't like reading or writing much anymore, so now i use skype, because if i don't there would be zero contact.

What a sad World it has become when people think gadgetry is more important than proper human communication.

Thank goodness I'm not alone - I honestly thought I was. Most reassuring.

I sometimes have to phone my mobile from my house phone and then walk around the house etc to find out where it is.

On your other point, last year I wrote a letter to my daughter, to congratulate her on an issue, using a fountain pen on a writing pad (do they call it vellum or something). She's 49 y.o. and told me on the phone she couldn't remember when she had last received a hand written letter.

I even marked my golf card once with my fountain pen and my caddy was very curious and said she had never seen that before.

As you say,sad, but I'm sensible enough to know I can't change things, even though I refuse to go along with every new innovation. Good luck to all those who embrace the modern world. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Absolutely correct. The majority of Americans have significant credit card debt, car loan debt, etc., and I'm sure the same situation exists in many other developed countries.

Perhaps if the Thais were provides with assistance from the government, like in many developed countries, their lot would be much better. One example of where this would really matter is the number of women who have to support and rear their children without any contributions from the fathers. We all know how this works in the west: the absconding father will have his wages garnished; he can lose his driver's license; he can even be imprisoned if he does not comply. In addition, the state also provides financial assistance.

Just my thoughts saai.gif .

• Like 1

Please read the headline, Costas. It's about a survey which probably had more than one question and topic.

Costas in his haste to become the first commentator on many a topic often fires from the hip and completely misses the target. Sometimes amusing, but mostly a Greek tragedy.???
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who wonders about having this topic next the the one about 'soi dogs' with

"John Dalley, co-founder and vice president of Soi Dog, said in a press statement that Soi Doi has spent Bt3.4 million to carry out renovation work to improve the living conditions of the cats and dogs at temple."

There is an old saying, "You should cut your coat according to your cloth".

Many Thai people survive on 15K or less per month, but it gives them little leeway if they insist on having the latest smartphone or the biggest widescreen TV. As a farang, I would find it almost impossible to manage on that amount, but there are many on this forum who have said they have done so, and good for them.

As long as people are conned into buying the latest whatever by borrowing money, they will be in debt.

H.M. the King advocated a sufficiency economy and many rural Thais try and follow his wisdom.

I live on 300 a day or at least strive to...my fan room is 2500 and try to keep my power bills within 500 so my monthly cost is 3000---thats 100 a day

I bought a used honda and will resell it when i go-this allows 100 per day with gas

then food...3x35 baht meals on street........my room has tv and cable so alot of movie watching

and used book reading--also have internet to cehck in with the TV crowds.....

and give or take a little but its basically 300 a day--i live a very simple boring life

but i buy used clothes--own nothing new--but i have no debt and have my freedom

i sleep well at night.....debt is slavery--limits your freedoms--but thats just me....

I think it is poverty that limits freedom. But that's just me.

Edit: But I agree that debt also makes a person a slave to the debtor.

Edited by Sealbash

Wabothai. For your information in Thailand you cannot get credit or buy a car if you don't have any money so i don't know where you are getting your misinformation from but it is certainly bs. Do you really think that people in your home country have an understanding of financial planning. I bet that people in your home country don't even read the full contract and they definitely don't bother with the fine print. Look at the amount of people in your home country who have filed for bankruptcy or had their home foreclosures or car repoed and compare those figures with your own country and you may find that your so called facts are nothing more than BS.

Edited by ldiablo
  • Like 1

Not really, budget your life and don't buy brand new cars and iPhones (for face) on credit and you should be okay.

My Thai mother in law works in a Hospital, her wages are 7200 baht a month, some are on less.

thats what keeps the gold shops ( money lending) and mafia lenders in business

I do not understand how gold shops are money lenders?

Gold is like money. It can be bought worn and then returned when there is a need for cash. Gold is given to a woman for getting married. When she needs the cash she simply returns it to the shop where it was purchased and gets cash. Gold is also sold by contract just like buying a stock on margin. You pay the gold story a percent of the price of the gold and if it goes up can cash in on the action.

There is an old saying, "You should cut your coat according to your cloth".

Many Thai people survive on 15K or less per month, but it gives them little leeway if they insist on having the latest smartphone or the biggest widescreen TV. As a farang, I would find it almost impossible to manage on that amount, but there are many on this forum who have said they have done so, and good for them.

As long as people are conned into buying the latest whatever by borrowing money, they will be in debt.

H.M. the King advocated a sufficiency economy and many rural Thais try and follow his wisdom.

I live on 300 a day or at least strive to...my fan room is 2500 and try to keep my power bills within 500 so my monthly cost is 3000---thats 100 a day

I bought a used honda and will resell it when i go-this allows 100 per day with gas

then food...3x35 baht meals on street........my room has tv and cable so alot of movie watching

and used book reading--also have internet to cehck in with the TV crowds.....

and give or take a little but its basically 300 a day--i live a very simple boring life

but i buy used clothes--own nothing new--but i have no debt and have my freedom

i sleep well at night.....debt is slavery--limits your freedoms--but thats just me....

This is how Thais with average income lives , still many of them try to borrow money for iPhones and new cars.

They live in a 2000 baht room and still drive a new Toyota. Crazy .

This forum feeds out few news sources. It would be nice if we could tell from the headline which source the article come from. I would skip the coconutbangkok junk

Not really, budget your life and don't buy brand new cars and iPhones (for face) on credit and you should be okay.

Banks shouldn't be financing cars on such tiny incomes to begin with. There is plenty of public transport just about everywhere in Thailand. Absolutely no need to drive a car except for it's face value as you say...but unless you're driving a Porsche, I'm afraid you're just keeping up with the joneses. I don't see how a boring old VIOS can bring face, every third Thai drives the same crap.

• Like 2