Prawit: Unelected Prime Minister 'not a big deal'

webfact

Prawit: Unelected Prime Minister 'Not a Big Deal'
By Khaosod English

14296195201429619576l.jpg
National Reform Council (NRC) debate over the new charter at Parliament House on 21 April 2015.

BANGKOK — A leader of Thailand's military junta has downplayed concerns over a clause in the new constitution that will allow an unelected Prime Minister to take office.

Contrary to previous 'permanent' constitutions in recent decades, the new charter, which is being debated by the junta's reform council this week, will not explicitly require Prime Ministers to be elected Members of Parliament. The current draft only stipulates that a Prime Minister be appointed by a majority of MPs.

According to Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, deputy chairman of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), the clause is meant to "open a channel" for MPs to select an "appropriate or neutral" individual to serve as Prime Minister in the event of a political deadlock.

He told reporters he believes MPs will not resort to appointing an unelected Prime Minister unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

"I think it is not a big deal at all," said Gen. Prawit, who also serves as Minister of Defense and Deputy Prime Minister. "Normally, MPs will just select MPs from political parties [to be Prime Minister]."

The clause is seen as a victory for the conservative movement that campaigned against the elected government toppled in the May 2014 coup d'etat. Ushering in an unelected "outsider" Prime Minister was one of the protesters' chief demands.

In May 2014, the movement’s leaders asked the Senate to unilaterally appoint an “outsider” PM after Yingluck Shinawatra was ousted in a court ruling. The Senate refused, prompting the anti-government protesters to prepare for a "Final Battle" to topple the government. The military stepped in and staged a coup several days later.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1429619520&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-22

Excuse me but it is a big deal. That's why it is just a big topic right now and you are saying this.

please explain why it is a big deal considering it would only take effect under extreme situations such as was seen last year when Thailand was at the brink of civil war

• Like 1

Excuse me but it is a big deal. That's why it is just a big topic right now and you are saying this.

please explain why it is a big deal considering it would only take effect under extreme situations such as was seen last year when Thailand was at the brink of civil war

Still on the Brink

To the Thai military that makes coups almost an annual event, having an unelected PM is no big deal. The new constitution would just save the military all the effort and expense (born by the Thai taxpayers) to overthrow an elected government when instead it can just appoint the new PM.

• Like 2

He told reporters he believes MPs will not resort to appointing an unelected Prime Minister unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

The ONLY reason such would be necessary is when those at the top don't like the people's choice of an elected PM. So this basically paves the way for the army and the elites to elect anyone they see fit and at any time. Democracy Thainess style.

"A ruler with total power over a country, typically one who has obtained power by force."

Google this definition and see what word comes up.

We don't need to google the word Dictator mate - believe me, we understand such.

You should read another thread issued by the Nation today, which clearly refers to the current military dictatorship - posted by one of its own reporters.

However, put simply, we are not allowed to refer to such, despite the Nation's own doing so.

We are mere mortals. thumbsup.gif ............whistling.gif

• Like 1

It is a big deal because it destroys the very foundation of democracy. One of the main reasons why there have been so many coups over the years is down to the fact that the army and the elites don't like the people's choice of an elected PM.

The terms 'extreme situations' that you use would depend on your view of such .... watch and see if those who seek control will use such stating that they fear for the country; as they always do.

Was Thailand really on the brink of civil war and what stopped that from happening ... oh yes another military coup ... those with more guns always wins. Like it or not YS and even Thaskin were elected but they were removed which then invoked the reds to come out. Take away a persons democratic rights and you leave them with no voice. Of course that doesn't matter if you are one of those who wants to rule with impunity and without having to answer to the people.

Indeed! In effect, what they are doing is taking away the rights of the people to vote - yet nobody has said such in as many plain words.

That is 100% against a democracy, and is indeed a path to tyranny and, ultimately, a dictatorship, or in this case a demagogue.

Praise Aristotle..... 555 giggle.gif

Who would or will Thais vote for in an election any way. There has been only one political voice thus far so who is the opposition party for Thais to vote for. The election when it does take place will be a done deal & you know what most Thais will be happy with that. Thailand has been under military rule more than civilian rule so this situation is normal & funnily enough life goes on for them.....IMO mae pen rai can be a good place to be sometimes. I also think that westerners think too much about things that they in reality are powerless to change any way. If governments want to do something it usually happens no matter what the people want......I'm not saying that people should just bend over & take it but people power rarely works even in western countries unless through violence that is........

When all is said and done the people that should run for office will be so scared of repercussions that they will not run for politics leaving the field wide open to the people that are connected.

Who would or will Thais vote for in an election any way. There has been only one political voice thus far so who is the opposition party for Thais to vote for. The election when it does take place will be a done deal & you know what most Thais will be happy with that. Thailand has been under military rule more than civilian rule so this situation is normal & funnily enough life goes on for them.....IMO mae pen rai can be a good place to be sometimes. I also think that westerners think too much about things that they in reality are powerless to change any way. If governments want to do something it usually happens no matter what the people want......I'm not saying that people should just bend over & take it but people power rarely works even in western countries unless through violence that is........

Are you serious, or jesting? blink.png

Mai pen rai? clap2.gif You fell for it already? thumbsup.gif

I guess your glass is half-full and half-empty all the time but, as you say it; 'mai pen rai'. facepalm.gif

If it's such a big deal then why don't we have the same luxury in the UK? If a party has a change of leadership we don't get to vote on that it's all done internally. So whats the difference here?

If it's such a big deal then why don't we have the same luxury in the UK? If a party has a change of leadership we don't get to vote on that it's all done internally. So whats the difference here?

The difference is the person chosen in the UK will be an elected politician.

• Like 2

How can you possibly compare UK diplomatics and UK governmental posture against what has happened in Thailand, and then surmount to ask what is the difference?

Please explain, as you confused me in your disdain. Thanks.

because the new chart also say that only a third of the government would be elected, the other 2/3 would be appointed...so basically, democacy would be a far cry...

Letting the army, the Privy Council or whoever in charge, choose whoever they what, whatever the people want