New Thai charter will pave way for weak, unstable governments: NRC

webfact

New charter will pave way for weak, unstable governments: NRC
KRIS BHROMSUTHI
THE NATION

30258474-01_big.jpg?1429653261327

BANGKOK: -- THE CHAIRMAN of the National Reform Council (NRC) panel on political reform, Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, yesterday called the kind of government that would eventually be formed from the new draft constitution "imbalanced", "weak", "unstable" and "disconnected from the people".

He made these comments during the second day of a debate between members of the NRC and those of the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC), who were taking part to present their newly drafted charter and the underlying reasons and ideas behind it.

The second day of the debate touched on some of the most controversial topics in the draft charter, concerning the political system, political parties and politicians. Many believe the new provisions that had been inserted into section two of the draft can play a pivotal role in solving the country's problems and enable it to move on from a decade-long political crisis.

Sombat, who has been outspoken in his disapproval of the CDC's proposals on political reform right from the outset - that is, since the end of last year - laid out various risks that such provisions could lead to.

He paid special attention to the fact that governments would be derived from the mixed-member proportional (MMP) system, new provisions that further strengthen the checks and balances on power, and the clause allowing an unelected prime minister.

Articles 172 and 173 of the new draft constitution allow a non-elected candidate to become PM through a parliamentary vote, thus making the government's head "disconnected" from the people, said Sombat.

"The notion that an 'outsider' should be allowed to become prime minister means that he or she has no direct connection to the people at all," he added.

He also said the government derived from this draft charter would be "weak and unstable" because of the newly introduced MMP system.

Coalition government means there will be a lot of back-room wheeling and dealing among coalition parties for their own benefits, hence the collective national goals would become secondary in importance - and as a result, the government may struggle to lead the country forward, he warned. On the other hand, if the wheeling and dealing between coalition parties broke down, it would lead to the dissolution of Parliament, or result in a "lame duck" administration, he said.

Moreover, the power relationship between the executive and legislative branches would become "imbalanced" under the new charter because of Article 182, since the executive branch would be given too much power, said Sombat.

Article 182 is designed to provide an executive branch derived from a coalition government with power over the legislative branch, so they can be decisive and push through important bills for their administration.

The PM can, under the new draft charter, declare what he or she perceives as an important bill that needs to be passed by the House of Representatives, and if the House does not submit a no-confidence motion within 48 hours, the bill will be passed.

"Imagine, if the PM is proposing another amnesty bill, this means that the people may not agree with such a bill, but they can do nothing about it. This may bring the protesters back on the streets … It is enough to create another crisis," he claimed. On this point, Sombat was supported by another prominent member of the NRC, Seree Suwanphanont, who is chairman of the council's committee on legal and justice reform. Seree also disagreed with proposed measures that would lead to coalition government, such as the MMP system.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/New-charter-will-pave-way-for-weak-unstable-govern-30258474.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-22

• Like 1

What Sombat didn't say

how stable Thailand has been over the last 30 years and especially the last 3 years were the country has been very stable and peaceful never needing 19 coups and almost collapsing into civil war last year - this man is a dreamer........check his bank account

• Like 2

Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, yesterday called the kind of government that would eventually be formed from the new draft constitution "imbalanced", "weak", "unstable" and "disconnected from the people"

Now how is that any different from the governments Thailand has had for the last 25 years.

The spelling has improved, that's about it really, apart from the surnames getting longer.

What Sombat didn't say

how stable Thailand has been over the last 30 years and especially the last 3 years were the country has been very stable and peaceful never needing 19 coups and almost collapsing into civil war last year - this man is a dreamer........check his bank account

And which institution has been omnipresent in Thai politics throughout its history? and indeed in power for a good proportion of that time......

I wonder if in the back of some minds, at the current time this Constitution is being designed to create some level of disharmony and disagreement which results in it either failing to be approved by a referendum or being held up due to disagreements, which results in the current Junta remaining in power until a certain time, perhaps in the not so distant future.

exactly that, votes allowed in the very distant future

I think the main problem lie in Thai mentality, it is very difficult for them to discuss a problem and compromise. To compromise is the same as not having been able to get what was wanted, it is lost face. Democracy needs politicians who are able to see the big picture and are able to go ways which suits the majority. As long as personal greed and making face rules I can't see democracy as a working tool for the Thai society. The disliked new election system will allow also smaller parties to participate in the government and force all parties to discuss and compromise, practicing democracy. I doubt that Thai politicians are ready for this. Sad but true

Fatfather

True. In Israel, Netanyahu had to ask for a two week extension to try and form a coalition. Trying to get smaller parties to form a coalition here would need a much longer extension.

I am amongst a growing number of expats who are liquidating assets and moving to other more friendly countries. This political unrest and ensuing iron-fisted shut-down of democracy is growing worse each day.

• Like 1

I don't think the military and its elitist supporters would have issues with lame-duck governments. Just so long as they can get their annual stipends and pay raises from the nation's treasury, they will be quite happy with a stagnant Thai society.

• Like 1

I think the main problem lie in Thai mentality, it is very difficult for them to discuss a problem and compromise. To compromise is the same as not having been able to get what was wanted, it is lost face. Democracy needs politicians who are able to see the big picture and are able to go ways which suits the majority. As long as personal greed and making face rules I can't see democracy as a working tool for the Thai society. The disliked new election system will allow also smaller parties to participate in the government and force all parties to discuss and compromise, practicing democracy. I doubt that Thai politicians are ready for this. Sad but true

Fatfather

True. In Israel, Netanyahu had to ask for a two week extension to try and form a coalition. Trying to get smaller parties to form a coalition here would need a much longer extension.

Like a dozen of them in a restaurant, they would not discuss what they really wanted and was the optimum solution for all, they would just order two of everything and waste half of it.

• Like 1

Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, yesterday called the kind of government that would eventually be formed from the new draft constitution "imbalanced", "weak", "unstable" and "disconnected from the people"

Now how is that any different from the governments Thailand has had for the last 25 years.

I think that insinuating that the new system of governance will lead to a weak, unstable government 'disconnected from the people' may be true in some respects but Germany seems to have done all right by it .

If they adopt something similar to the German system (modified PR) then EVERYONE's vote counts and not just those of the winning party and EVERYONE who voted for a minority party that amasses enough votes to gain some seats will have their voice heard in parliament.

Please tell me how something can be more democratic than that!!

The 'first past the post' system adopted by countries such as the UK is flawed (and it can lead to the very same problems that doubters are saying must be prevented such as coalition governments being adopted) just as they have now and are likely to have come the May election.

If they leave the system as it is, there is almost the certainty of having Thaksin style dictatorships in the future - we have all seen the damage done that these promote.

I sincerely hope that the government is weak and unstable and that they are merely puppets to keep the US from interfering again by claiming that the government is undemocratic and that they have minimal input into the running of the country with the honest people that know what they are doing running the show. People such as Prayut and similar miracle workers will be fine by me!!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am amongst a growing number of expats who are liquidating assets and moving to other more friendly countries. This political unrest and ensuing iron-fisted shut-down of democracy is growing worse each day.

Same but,

Liquidating is one thing, getting the proceeds out is another.

• Like 1

Fatfather

Like a dozen of them in a restaurant, they would not discuss what they really wanted and was the optimum solution for all, they would just order two of everything and waste half of it.

Glad I am not picking up the check

It's not only that it may create weak and unstable governments (i.e. France during the previous constitution), it's a system in which various appointed committees, assemblies and bodies have significant power

and most of all can BYPASS the government, as the appointed senate can pass law without the approval of the elected assembly