Officials to Investigate Alleged Drunken Prosecutor

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-52075500-1429737881_thumb.

A public prosecutor will be investigated by senior attorney-general officials. The prosecutor was allegedly intoxicated and refused to take a breathalyzer test. The man was filmed refusing the test and intimidating a police officer. The incident took place during the Songkran festival.

A spokesman for the attorney-general’s office Kosolwat Inthujanyong stated that the investigation will take approximately 30 days to complete. A fact-finding committee will be created and will be comprised of 3 senior public prosecutors.

The prosecutor in question has been identified as Thanapol Juthataemee, who is a part of the Department of Narcotics Litigation.

According to Mr. Kosolwat, punishment would depend on the panel’s recommendation and will be revealed by Trakul Winitchayapak, the Attorney-General.

The video clip of the public prosecutor has gone viral since it first appeared on social media last week. The incident reportedly took place at a police checkpoint in Bangkok last Tuesday (April 14).

The intoxicated man was seen intimidating a police officer, telling the officer that he knew senior police officers and could have his star removed from his shoulder. The man then whipped out his card and asked, “Do you know who I am?” and went on to state that other police respect him. The man reluctantly followed the officer’s instructions to go to Bung Kum police station.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-23

When he reluctantly went to the police station was he tested there or did he continue to refuse ?

Wasn't the law recently amended to cover refusals or was it just a proposal ?

A 30 day fact finding committee ?

Let's hope this is done properly and if guilty is shown that he isn't who he thinks he is.

• Like 2

Officials to Investigate Alleged Drunken Prosecutor

The prosecutor in question has been identified as Thanapol Juthataemee, who is a part of the Department of Narcotics Litigation

...but he was only on a fact-finding mission investigating the narcotic effects of alcohol, he was on the job, really...

For this article after careful thought as a staff writer,I will show a photo of westerner in his car!

Quality journalism......................or maybe their arent any photos of Thais breath testing because clearly they dont drink and drive!

This writer continually uses irrelevant photos with his stories.

Interesting. It looks like the video was taken from a shoulder cam, which I didn't know that Thai police have (officially at least). I obviously may be wrong about this, but look at the perspective the camera has when the officer checks the suspect's ID card and the nature of the camera's movement. The officer clearly handled the interaction very professionally. Of course, there is the question of how/why the video was posted to social media ... I'm of two minds on that one. I wouldn't want police back home to be posting their interactions with the public (shows like 'Cops' always make me a little uneasy), but in Thailand, this may be one way to end privilege and corruption.