Mayweather v The Packman

uptheos

While others support a woman-beating thug who runs from a man when he's in the ring.

Bravo. Well done.

You must be really proud of him and his run like a punk boxing style.

Put them in a 15' ring and see how great of a boxer he is when he has nowhere to run and hide.

At least Pac didn't run scared like a little b!tch.

I was under the impression we were discussing who won the match. One doesn't have to "support a woman-beating thug" to understand who landed more punches, outboxed the other opponent, and was named the winner by unanimous decision that was supported by the overwhelming data contained in the Compubox statistics.

Part of boxing - whether you care to admit it or not - is not allowing the other guy to hit you. Mayweather has always done that very well and by doing that today landed many more punches than Pacquiao. (The fact that he also appears to be somewhat repugnant as a human being is another story.)

You call it "running away".....others call it boxing. There's always UFC if you simply want to see two guys beating the hell out of each other with little regard for style or technique.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TMT came to win on points by avoiding the other guy (and to take the money).

As someone who knows very little about boxing, that it how it looked to me. Manny was the aggressor during most of the fight and all the woman-beating thug did was try not to get punched too badly and wait out the time. I'm sure glad that I saw it for free. tongue.png

TMT came to win on points by avoiding the other guy (and to take the money).

As someone who knows very little about boxing, that it how it looked to me. Manny was the aggressor during most of the fight and all the woman-beating thug did was try not to get punched too badly and wait out the time. I'm sure glad that I saw it for free. tongue.png

Not strictly correct.

Although a boxer avoids getting hit, he still needs to land a few correctly in order to score points, whether going forward or backing off. Aggression means nothing if the punches aren't landing correctly and Manny smashing away at Mayweathers upheld double arm guard scored very little.

Manny should retire now a re-match won't ever happen.

Yes, watching for free was a good price. biggrin.png

I wonder if people saw the same fight I did. Manny is the punk. He has never really fought tough opponents.

I think most of the debate seems silly. I think most posters thought this was a heavy weight fight. YOu do realize that middle weight and below dance a lot. The hits don't have to be powerhouse hits. This isn't about knocking someone out, it is about out classing them as a boxer. This isn't a brawl.

Mayweather is a fantastic athlete and a far superior boxer. I am actually surprised anyone thought pacman had a chance.

it does seem like most people want a thug beatathon like MMA. Boxing especially lower weight classes are about style, movement and boxing. Being aggressive without the ability to back it up is why Manny lost.

He did much better than I thought he would though.

I lost a lot of respect for manny when he started playing basketball and being a politician. Sorry but he isn't a rennaisance man, he is the only thing Flips have to be proud of so they put him on everything.

I wonder if people saw the same fight I did. Manny is the punk. He has never really fought tough opponents.

He's fought plenty of tough opponents. He hasn't fought a boxer as good as Mayweather though.

Most of those "punches" that Mayweather threw/landed were jabs.

Boring fighter.

Perhaps Boxing needs a rule change. Otherwise, boring fighters like Mayweather are going to kill the sport.

Or at least give points to the aggressor and not the boxer that's backpedaling most of the night.

Instead of changing the rules of a sport that's been around for over two hundred years how about boxers just learning how to cut off the ring and fight a different style that will give you a better chance of winning? Any boxer who can't do that doesn't deserve to win.

Pac go beaten by better boxer, 1/3 of the thread smacks of sour grapes.

Pac lost. get over it already!

While others support a woman-beating thug who runs from a man when he's in the ring.

Bravo. Well done.

Put them in a 15' ring and see how great of a boxer he is when he has nowhere to run and hide.

http://www.businessinsider.com/floyd-mayweather-domestic-violence-history-2015-4?utm_source=hearst&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=allverticals

Butt Hurt Alert!

Both seemed to forget about body punches....I think Manny had times he could have waded in and squared up the middle and slowed down the running away/reserves....

Neither seemed to have devastating power in their punches....

Manny was jobbed.....impossible to get a decision in the US against a US undefeated black boxer by THREE US judges.....if the match had taken place elsewhere with international judges - different result

mayweathers style coupled with the fact he has a ten centimeter reach advantage rendered the result fairly predictable. Pac is a great fighter but mayweather is a master boxer. As for the people complaining about mayweather running - the idea is not to get hit, not to stand there and block punches with your head

I don't understand how they have a World title fight,an American Vs Filipino and

all the judges are American ?, i am sure they would all be fair and impartial facepalm.gif .

and all above board.

regards worgeordie

I don't understand how they have a World title fight,an American Vs Filipino and

all the judges are American ?, i am sure they would all be fair and impartial facepalm.gif .

and all above board.

regards worgeordie

I agree100% with this post

I scored the fight a draw 114-114 but i can understand 2 of the judges score of 116-112 as 6 or 7 rounds were very close and could of gone either way,but when you have the " home grown boy" fighting in his " back yard" with 3 "home grown judges" scoring the fight with quite a number of the rounds very close that i found very hard to give one way or the other. I am not saying they were bias against Manny but with the occasion what it was and so many very close rounds,when shove comes to push and they feel obliged to score a very close round 10-9 it would not be the first time that the home grown judges have leaned towards the " home grown boy"

Pacquiao aggression was not taken into account,Mayweather was scared of Pacquiao,even his father told him he was scared,but at the end of the day the 2 fighters got the biggest pay day ever,I'm sure Manny will make better use of his cut than Mayweather so good luck to them.

I wonder if they had a rematch in Manilla with 3 Filipino judges scoring the fight.Who would win?

Funny how Manny clearly conceded that he lost and blamed his shoulder. But you guys seem to know better than the fighter himself.

I also seriously doubt that any bias would exist in the judging. Race or nationality doesn't effect the judging of boxing.

"I wonder if they had a rematch in Manilla with 3 Filipino judges scoring the fight.Who would win?"

Mayweather could have knocked Manny unconscious and Manny still would have won if it was in the Philipines.

Funny how Manny clearly conceded that he lost and blamed his shoulder. But you guys seem to know better than the fighter himself.

Actually, Manny said that he felt that he had won and lot of people agree with him. He would have scored more points, if not for the injured shoulder.

Pacquiao said:

"Well its a good fight, I thought I won the fight."

"He didnt do nothing, he moved away. I got him many times with solid punches. I thought I won the fight."

Edited by Ulysses G.

"''I cannot use a lot of my right hand but the fight was still good,'' Pacquiao said. ''What we wanted to do we couldn't do because of my shoulder. But he's fast, he's a good boxer. Give the credit to him. He won tonight.''"

"'I did my best, but my best wasn't good enough,'' Pacquiao said. ''I fought a good fight.''"

Funny how different reporters get different things. Perhaps the boxer was a little punch drunk and couldn't remember what he said to different interviewers.

I had it the same as 2 of the judges....that being said, a lot of the fault for Pacman failing(other than Mayweather's superior skill) lays with the inability of Roach to come up with an effective strategy......in the build up to the fight, all we heard was that Roach had figured out the best way to win and solve the Mayweather defense....instead what we saw was basically 12 rounds of samesame but different....Pacman lunged in from the outside past the sweetspot due to his lesser reach and then was in too close ....which caused him to flail aimlessly against Mayweather arms before Mayweather slipped off the ropes....

Roach should have had a Plan B and maybe even a Joe Frazier style rough em up inside game with better hooks, body shots, and uppercuts.....however even with that the outcome may have not changed.....it may be just a case of the better man winning

"''I cannot use a lot of my right hand but the fight was still good,'' Pacquiao said. ''What we wanted to do we couldn't do because of my shoulder. But he's fast, he's a good boxer. Give the credit to him. He won tonight.''"

"'I did my best, but my best wasn't good enough,'' Pacquiao said. ''I fought a good fight.''"

Funny how different reporters get different things. Perhaps the boxer was a little punch drunk and couldn't remember what he said to different interviewers.

Because of the other quotes, I interpret that as conceding to the judges authority, not agreeing with their decision. He is a good man.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think we all can agree that it was a lackluster fight for such a heavy purse. I heard that some of the undercard fights were better, but didn't get to see them

Winning does nothing for Mayweather, and loosing would have ruined his title record. There really was no advantage for him to fight other than the heavy purse. I doubt that there will ever be a rematch even if he comes out of retirement.

I dont' understand how athletes retire and then the next year come back.

The thing that I find strange is how people hold cultural pride into its champion athletes. At the Olympics it is different but in professional sports it seems strange. Interviews in the Phillipines shows how depressed they are. They seem to feel a great loss of pride which seems strange.

and all above board.

regards worgeordie

I scored the fight a draw 114-114 but i can understand 2 of the judges score of 116-112 as 6 or 7 rounds were very close and could of gone either way,but when you have the " home grown boy" fighting in his " back yard" with 3 "home grown judges" scoring the fight with quite a number of the rounds very close that i found very hard to give one way or the other. I am not saying they were bias against Manny but with the occasion what it was and so many very close rounds,when shove comes to push and they feel obliged to score a very close round 10-9 it would not be the first time that the home grown judges have leaned towards the " home grown boy"

Pacquiao aggression was not taken into account,Mayweather was scared of Pacquiao,even his father told him he was scared,but at the end of the day the 2 fighters got the biggest pay day ever,I'm sure Manny will make better use of his cut than Mayweather so good luck to them.

I wonder if they had a rematch in Manilla with 3 Filipino judges scoring the fight.Who would win?

You do know how to score boxing, right?

20150502_220734.0.jpg

and all above board.

regards worgeordie

20150502_220734.0.jpg

Right

Correct me if i am wrong,but i scored the fight as anyone sitting at home watching on the tv is entitled to do,scoring each round on a 10-9 basis giving 10 to the boxer you thought won the round.

Now I'm no expert like these 3 judges but if Mr Feldman and Mr clements were sitting next to each other at school,the teacher might be entitled to call them "copy cats" as they scored every round the same @116-112 but can you explain to me why Mr Moreti scored the 9 th and 10 th rounds to Mayweather while the other 2 judges gave these rounds to Manny making his score 118-110.

Now i scored the 9th 10-9 to Mayweather the same as Mr Moretii and scored the 10 th 10-9 to Pacquiao the same as the other 2 judges, everyone is entitled to their opinion on who won the round thats why i had Mayweather winning 6 rounds and Manny winning 6 rounds but i am a little surprised 2 judges gave exactly the same scorecard and the other judge gave a completely different account on the 9 th and 10 rounds

I did think a number of rounds were very hard to score but of course no home grown judge in is own back yard scoreing a home grown fighter in a few rounds that an amateur like me found very hard to score would lean towards the home boxer.

I thought the 'official' judging reflected the reality of the fight - a little off here and there IMO - but this is because it was always close every round (10-9). Anyone saying it was closer in the end is wrong - boxing rewards punches and Mayweather punched Paq a lot more in nearly every round. They might have mainly been jabs, but they each scored.

For those who think that it is OK to run/duck/weave to win a fight - you are right. It is not entertaining and not worth paying to watch (glad I didn't) - but it is OK.

But to those who think it is OK to win by holding - you are wrong and need to read this from the USA Boxing Rules:

RULE 9. FOULS

9.1. Types of Fouls

9.1.1. Hitting below the belt, holding, tripping, kicking, and butting with foot or knee;

9.1.2. etc etc etc.

The reality is that referees do not enforce this rule anymore - and my previous suggestion to change this so that it is no longer just warning after warning, is IMO, the best way to avoid such a fighter as TMT ever winning so many 'fights' again by not fighting. At the risk of boring yourself, if you ever get to see this fight again watch closely in rounds 4 and 6. In both of those rounds Paq was starting to get through and actually landed a few good ones, but everytime he did, TMT grabbed and held him and 'rode out' the danger. He was actually warned in both rounds, but he knew there was no repercussions so continued to do it when he needed - that is how he has always boxed - and he has always got away with it. Towards the end of the fight Paq had run his race and TMT was cruising - but his game plan made him make no attempt a knockout, as doing so would have run the risk of Paq landing a big shot. He was methodical and focussed and he (in the end) did it easy.

But - the rules as they made them when boxing was first organised nationally and internationally, were designed to make boxers fight. That is why holding is, in the rules, in the very first line of fouls along with tripping, kicking and butting and hitting below the belt. Make referees enforce the rules as they are written (and used to be enforced) and boxers like TMT will disappear.

I watched the fight and heard both fighters give their interviews immediately after the fight. Manny said that he thought he had won the fight. Later, he apparently said that Floyd won the fight, acceding to the ruling of the judges. So, I guess he really thought he had won, but was graciously accepting the ruling.

Also, immediately after the fight, Floyd said that he will fight again in September as per his TV and other contracts.

Bravo. Well done.

I was under the impression we were discussing who won the match. One doesn't have to "support a woman-beating thug" to understand who landed more punches, outboxed the other opponent, and was named the winner by unanimous decision that was supported by the overwhelming data contained in the Compubox statistics.

Part of boxing - whether you care to admit it or not - is not allowing the other guy to hit you. Mayweather has always done that very well and by doing that today landed many more punches than Pacquiao. (The fact that he also appears to be somewhat repugnant as a human being is another story.)

You call it "running away".....others call it boxing. There's always UFC if you simply want to see two guys beating the hell out of each other with little regard for style or technique.

To add to your statements, I think the nay-sayers have to realize some things: Pacquiao was the challenger, he had to best Mayweather unequivocally to win, he did not; neither fighter scored a really good punch, but Mayweather did not have to, he was not the challenger; Pacquiao may have hit Mayweather more, but where, mostly the arms and hands which mean little in scoring a fight; we were not ringside, we did not have the same view and sound as the judges and anyone else ringside, even the commentators had Mayweather ahead from the start; look at the post-match interviews, note who has the most marks on his face and puffiness around the eyes, it wasn't Mayweather.

Yes, Pacquiao was the agressor, he had to be, but his agression showed little damage to Mayweather. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a Maywither fan and I lost money on the fight. Anyway, keep up your complaints, the more opposition to the decision, the greater possibility of a rematch--yeah, yeah, I know the pre-match agreements, but is "Money" going to reject more money?

A re-match is absolutely out of the question, it's a non starter no matter how much money coz no-one wants to see more of the same.

Manny's done well, a credit to his profession and time to hang up the gloves

MayPaq2 - I gotta agree - I would certainly never pay to see it. Axel Rose has hit the airways demanding a free re-match - and there is a lot of very negative things about TMT and how he won the fight. Looks like he will go down in history as the best pount-for-pound boxer (on results), and the one most disliked by the fans. Tyson has become somewhat 'redeemed' over the years, and at least he actually 'fought' when in the ring. There will be no redemption for TMT - he will forever be the guy who used the rules (or lack of their enforcement) to win his fights. Maybe the best thing to come out of this will be a review of the boxing rules and how they are enforced. Boxing needs the big fights - it needs that excitement and entertainment to grow the fan base (and get the money in) - MayPaq1 has won it millions of dollars, but has lost it millions of fans.

PS - what a PR disaster - giving your product to a man despised by so many. Hublot? Maybe, but not now !

You said to correct you if you were wrong, so allow me...the scoring is based on the "10-point must system", there is no obligation to score everyone round 10-9, other scores are also possible...google it and then you can correct yourself rather than requesting that others do it in the future...

and all above board.

regards worgeordie

20150502_220734.0.jpg

Right

Correct me if i am wrong,but i scored the fight as anyone sitting at home watching on the tv is entitled to do,scoring each round on a 10-9 basis giving 10 to the boxer you thought won the round.

Now I'm no expert like these 3 judges but if Mr Feldman and Mr clements were sitting next to each other at school,the teacher might be entitled to call them "copy cats" as they scored every round the same @116-112 but can you explain to me why Mr Moreti scored the 9 th and 10 th rounds to Mayweather while the other 2 judges gave these rounds to Manny making his score 118-110.

Now i scored the 9th 10-9 to Mayweather the same as Mr Moretii and scored the 10 th 10-9 to Pacquiao the same as the other 2 judges, everyone is entitled to their opinion on who won the round thats why i had Mayweather winning 6 rounds and Manny winning 6 rounds but i am a little surprised 2 judges gave exactly the same scorecard and the other judge gave a completely different account on the 9 th and 10 rounds

I did think a number of rounds were very hard to score but of course no home grown judge in is own back yard scoreing a home grown fighter in a few rounds that an amateur like me found very hard to score would lean towards the home boxer.

Are we supposed to care what Axl Rose says?

MayPaq2 - I gotta agree - I would certainly never pay to see it. Axel Rose has hit the airways demanding a free re-match - and there is a lot of very negative things about TMT and how he won the fight. Looks like he will go down in history as the best pount-for-pound boxer (on results), and the one most disliked by the fans. Tyson has become somewhat 'redeemed' over the years, and at least he actually 'fought' when in the ring. There will be no redemption for TMT - he will forever be the guy who used the rules (or lack of their enforcement) to win his fights. Maybe the best thing to come out of this will be a review of the boxing rules and how they are enforced. Boxing needs the big fights - it needs that excitement and entertainment to grow the fan base (and get the money in) - MayPaq1 has won it millions of dollars, but has lost it millions of fans.

PS - what a PR disaster - giving your product to a man despised by so many. Hublot? Maybe, but not now !

Edited by tailspin