Mayweather v The Packman

uptheos

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can stream Channel 7 live and free.whistling.gif

My dodgy Sky providers have already said they are going to stream the PPV.

Plus I have another box with all the Flip channels.

w00t.gif

I watched a Pacman fight on Flipland tv before. 1/3 of the screen was taken up with advertising and then they started delaying the rounds with 10 minute commercials. Nucking Fightmare.

I watched one in Angeles once and they didn't do that.

So maybe you just got unlucky with the channel.

Why were you watching boxing in Angeles???

BTW, the cost of this fight on PPV in the US is going to be $89.99 in SD, $99.99 in HD

My Brother will probably spring for it and I will watch it on his 65" LCD TV

Reminds me about a story regarding Pac-Man and my best friend, who has since passed away.

He was a huge boxing fan and a fan of Pac-Man.

A few years ago, he wanted to watch one Pac-Man's fights on PPV, (Might have been Pac-Man vs. JCC) but didn't want to spend $50.00 or whatever obscene amount it was, so I tell him,
"I know where you can get the fight for $4.00"

He excitedly says "$4.00?!!! - where? where?"
I tell him, "The Philippines"

We both had a good laugh over that for a while.

A detailed history of why it took over 5 years for this to happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather,_Jr._vs._Manny_Pacquiao#History

Since when can Wikipedia ever be quoted as 'A detailed history of why.......' anything? When I see Wikipedia as a 'source' of knowledge/fact it is time to go and do some real research of my own,

Exactly!

Since when can Wikipedia ever be quoted as 'A detailed history of why.......' anything? When I see Wikipedia as a 'source' of knowledge/fact it is time to go and do some real research of my own,

Wikipedia is not much different from any other Internet source, although in fairness users are expected to provide links to any source quoted.

Wikipedia is not much different from any other Internet source, although in fairness users are expected to provide links to any source quoted.

And that detailed history from Wikipedia is referenced with links to articles from Sports Illustrated, Ring Magazine, ESPN and numerous other legit sources.

I think some people might not like the facts that were posted and chose to attack the source and not challenge the facts because they can't.

Mayweather clearly made numerous, ridiculous demands in an attempt to dictate even the most minute details of the fight.

"According to Yahoo! Sports, an eight-page contract was sent on December 11 by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Mayweather to Top Rank, representing Pacquiao, that proposed a 50-50 financial split between the sides for a fight to take place on March 13, 2010.

The eight-page agreement was so detailed that it indicated which of the two fighters would step onto the scale first at the weigh-in (Pacquiao), who would walk to the ring first (Pacquiao), who would be introduced first (Mayweather) and who had first choice of the locker room (Mayweather). It detailed that the bout would have been on HBO Pay-Per-View at a cost of $59.95. Billing was to be "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, presented by Top Rank, Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather Promotions and M-P Promotions in association with [approved sponsors and the site]." The contract also called for both fighters to submit to Olympic-style drug testing."

And just for the heck of it, I know a former boxer (Andy Nance) who is good friends with Freddie Roach, having beaten Roach in a match here in the SF Bay Area in the town I was living in when both were still boxing, and everything he tells me mirrors the facts presented, so I have a bit of insider perspective as well. I've also known Nance since when he was an Amateur fighter.

Andy was ranked #1 in the World and had a Title fight signed but had to retire due to concussion issues.

He was a hell of a fighter and works as a promoter and RE agent these days.

Manny has to knockout Mayweather. Not sure he'll get a result over the twelve.

I'm going for a round 7 knockout and would be great to see TMT's legs buckle, on his back, dazed and humiliated. Manny isn't a woman that TMT can beat up so easily, if you know what I mean.

And that detailed history from Wikipedia is referenced with links to articles from Sports Illustrated, Ring Magazine, ESPN and numerous other legit sources.

I think some people might not like the facts that were posted and chose to attack the source and not challenge the facts because they can't.

Mayweather clearly made numerous, ridiculous demands in an attempt to dictate even the most minute details of the fight.

"According to Yahoo! Sports, an eight-page contract was sent on December 11 by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Mayweather to Top Rank, representing Pacquiao, that proposed a 50-50 financial split between the sides for a fight to take place on March 13, 2010.

The eight-page agreement was so detailed that it indicated which of the two fighters would step onto the scale first at the weigh-in (Pacquiao), who would walk to the ring first (Pacquiao), who would be introduced first (Mayweather) and who had first choice of the locker room (Mayweather). It detailed that the bout would have been on HBO Pay-Per-View at a cost of $59.95. Billing was to be "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, presented by Top Rank, Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather Promotions and M-P Promotions in association with [approved sponsors and the site]." The contract also called for both fighters to submit to Olympic-style drug testing."

And just for the heck of it, I know a former boxer (Andy Nance) who is good friends with Freddie Roach, having beaten Roach in a match here in the SF Bay Area in the town I was living in when both were still boxing, and everything he tells me mirrors the facts presented, so I have a bit of insider perspective as well. I've also known Nance since when he was an Amateur fighter.

Andy was ranked #1 in the World and had a Title fight signed but had to retire due to concussion issues.

He was a hell of a fighter and works as a promoter and RE agent these days.

"I think some people might not like the facts that were posted and chose to attack the source and not challenge the facts because they can't."

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Your facts have already been challenged in a previous post with real links that actually discuss the subject matter being referenced. Which is quite often not the case with Wikipedia.

Some of links in the previously posted Timeline tend to agree with some of what you've said. However, it is widely known that Mayweather eventually dropped all of his demands and conceded to Pac's wishes which included a 50/50 spit and a 10 million dollar fine for every pound if Mayweather were to come in over the weight limit of 147 pounds. Floyd's only demand after that was for Olympic style blood and urine testing which is random. Pac did not want to do that. This is the only problem I have with Pac's career. It makes him look suspect.

Some will say that this was some kind of ploy on Mayweather's part to keep the fight from happening. However, I and many others, fail to see the problem with this request. If he had taken the test the fight wold have happened. If Pac had won the fight after submitting to the test he would have been an even bigger hero than he is today but he also wouldn't be making 180 million dollars for the fight.

For years there have been many well known athletes who have gotten past more stringent testing than what is currently being offered by the Nevada State Athletic/Boxing Commission. What is wrong with boxers being required to submit to closer examination? Why is Pac now willing to be tested? Why is Mayweather now calling all of the shots? Why is the split now 60/40 which is exactly what Mayweather said it would be from the beginning? There is no doubt that there is a lot of negativity surrounding Floyd Mayweather outside the ring. I do not think he's a good role model. But on random testing in boxing he is correct.

DECEMBER 4, 2009

DECEMBER 7, 2009

• Pacquiao requests $10 million per pound weight penalty.

Fearing that Mayweather may not make the agreed upon welterweight limit of 147 pounds, one of the "minor details" and "fine points" that Team Pacquiao requested was a weight penalty that would force Mayweather to pay $10 million for every pound over the maximum allowable weight. "Our concern is that Floyd might come in at 150 lbs during the official weigh-in (on the eve of the fight). Of course, we will not let this pass. We will put that particular provision in the contract," Pacquiao's lawyer, Franklin Gacal, explained. Without hesitation, Mayweather would agree to the request.

http://www.mb.com.ph/node/232991/penaltie

• DECEMBER 12, 2009
  • Mayweather's request for Olympic-style drug testing is officially revealed.

• The first reports of Mayweather's request for Olympic-style drug testing began to surface as Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe explained their stance that both fighters be subjected to random blood and urine testing in the weeks leading up to the March 13 fight. "Al and I made sure this will be implemented. It is going to be done. It's not a one-way thing, it's both fighters who are subject to testing. And this is not Floyd saying this. This is me and Al. This is one of the biggest fights in the history of the sport and the fans deserve it to be fair. Floyd's got nothing to do with this. It's our job to protect him and give him the best chance to be successful," Ellerbe would comment.

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2009/12/floyd...

DECEMBER 22, 2009

• Golden Boy press release reveals Pacquiao is unwilling to agree to random Olympic-style blood and urine testing.

After reports had surfaced that both parties had agreed to all terms, Golden Boy Promotions released a press release revealing that Pacquiao was unwilling to comply with the Olympic-style drug testing requested by Team Mayweather. "Todd told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn't want to do it so close to the fight. He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight," Schaefer would explain in the press release. Both Mayweather himself and Leonard Ellerbe were also quoted in the press release, reiterating their concern that "an elite athlete like Manny Pacquiao" would refuse an opportunity to ensure a "level of fairness" and a "level playing field" in a fight of this magnitude.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6546.html

DECEMBER 23, 2009

• Team Mayweather stands firm on request for random blood testing leading up to the bout.

That same day, Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe confirms that Team Mayweather is standing firm on their request for random Olympic-style blood and urine testing. "You got a superstition of getting pricked and with taking blood, but you got tattoos all over your body. Which one is it? You're afraid of needles, but you got tattoos all over your body," he commented, referring to Bob Arum's suggestion that Pacquiao "gets freaked out" when his blood is taken.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6557.html

The bottom line is that Mayweather wanted to dictate the terms of nearly every detail of the fight coming out of retirement while Pac was active and defending his title.

Pac would then agree to some of the stipulations, only to have the Mayweather camp change them.

Only one person is responsible for this fight not going off when it should have, and if you think it's Pac, then you are being biased or don't understand how Boxing negotiations work.

Like I said, the fans are the real losers here and that lies on the shoulders of Mayweather and it's also the consensus within the Boxing community.

Mayweather's asinine PED's accusations were just one of numerous excuses to delay, delay, delay.

Pac offered to give a blood sample the day after the fight in addition to 14 days before the fight.

Not good enough for the Delayweather camp though...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Though, Wiki is virtually never wrong.

It may not be wise to use Wiki as a source in your dissertation, but it's hard to find incorrect data.

got world attention everywhere,so it will be shown somewhere in town with maybe a small fee for pay for view charge

BREAKING NEWS.. Every Noodle stall in Thailand will be showing the Mayweather v Paquiou fight. Just buy a bowl of noodles and get a glass of water free.w00t.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Though, Wiki is virtually never wrong.

It may not be wise to use Wiki as a source in your dissertation, but it's hard to find incorrect data.

Wiki is invariably wrong and has lots of incorrect data. Also many people can manipulate the data to their advantage. As a quick initial reference source it is OK, but any data must be rechecked with reputable sources.

Enough of my rant, lets not highjack the thread.

Manny has to knockout Mayweather. Not sure he'll get a result over the twelve.

I'm going for a round 7 knockout and would be great to see TMT's legs buckle, on his back, dazed and humiliated. Manny isn't a woman that TMT can beat up so easily, if you know what I mean.

As many Aussies will understand, IMO seeing TMT flat out on his back will be second only to seeing Anthony Mundine 'staring at the stars' as he did a couple of times.

For the non-Aussies - Mundine is/was an egostistical arrogant a-h*le who looked good beating up on weak/old fighters, but failed badly when up against world class boxers.

852545-0f46f17a-5725-11e3-8753-b885d0630

IMO Manny will win - but that is mainly based on my heart. Like Mundine, TMT is not a person that I like, and is IMO a very over-rated boxer (his time at the top was not that hard).

TMT has been ducking this fight for years - I think for two reasons - both to build it up for THE pay day of his life, and also because he knows Manny can win.

Maybe that is because TMT just beat Oscar De La Hoya in 2007 (split decision), and then Manny smashed him in 2008 (Oscar's last fight).

I think TMT is bigger stronger and technically the better boxer - but Manny is the better fighter and hits harder (somehow) and definitely has more heart.

Could go either way - but I hope Manny smashes him in the 6th round :)

No matter which was it goes, what's the bet we have TMT Vs PAQ take 2 before XMas ??

We are a strange lot in that we are eagerly awaiting this event to watch 2 guys try and beat each other unconscious and I admit to being part of this viewing ritual.

Only this week reports filtered through that 2 past Australian champions have fallen on hard times,one homeless and found sleeping in a park and the other suffering brain damage from hits he received over his career and then of course the images we see of that greatest champion of all time IMO Ali in such a sad situation in his life.

In my declining years ,I consider that boxing should perhaps be classified as entertainment rather than a sport.

Like the Ali/Foreman fight we have the seemingly the good guy v the bad guy that a majority people want to see lying on his back.

I cant see Pacquiao winning, but I hope he does, and if he does lose he will still be adored by Filipino's all around the world. Mayweather, I'm not so sure he will attract much sympathy.

Hopefully whatever the result they will both call it a day.

Archived