minor problems and what are the tricks to fix them?

h90

As I improve and my distances get bigger, I get some small, minor problems and surely someone has a smart solution....

Sweat runs into my eyes (actually only into my right eye) back when I was young I put some band I ripped out of clothes on my forehead.

Surely fashionable 1988 when Rambo did it....But now on some middle age man it will look a bit idiotic....

I consider it as normal that my butt hurts a bit, as I always go for 1 week and than brake for some time. But I get a bit sore between the legs as well. I never had that before. Before I had shorts with leather insert (from don't know what animal) now it is synthetic. But could be also the saddle. Now I ask my wife what is the best creme for sensitive skin she has and apply it afterwards.....Something smarter?

Going in the rain today. The water drops stick on my glasses, so visibility is getting very bad. I remember there was a spray for cars so the water isn't sticking...can't recall if it was with silicone or with PTFE.....

1/ Sweatband. Try Sportworld in the tennis area for a headband made from cotton terrycloth. Or make your own out of a good quality towel.
2/ Jock Rash. Try Body glide. Or KY gel. (more readily found here I'm sure)

3/ RainX is the stuff you are talking about. Haven't seen it here but that stuff works pretty amazingly.

Do you have helmet with a plastic face guard? They only cost 50 baht I believe. Might want to try one.

If it is generalized soreness in the crotch area, not a rash, then perhaps you need to level your saddle or bring the nose down even further than level. I'm sure you know that already. For a rash, as mentioned, Astroglide is good and could be found at the big pharmacy near Sukh Soi 2, Bangkok, a year or so ago. A soft old fashioned biking cap with a small brim works for me for keeping sweat out of the eyes.

You need to consider one of these:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=easyseat&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eRM6VaPlOOWomgWP14HIBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw

hobson-2-of-5.jpg

just look at the seat, that is...

I've been using these since the mid 80's, and all my 4 bikes, uncluding my recumbents have a set on each machine.

I don;t give a stuff about what other riders have said about the weight of these seat, as I am not racing...

When installing:

- the seat will be much lower down the seat-post than conventionals.

- you will be sitting quite a bit forward than conventionally

- when you get knocked off the bike (by the next crazy local driver/rider), there is no Spine to get in the way of your balls'n'legs, on your way to the ground

Edited by tifino

Soreness: I recommend http://www.amazon.de/Xenofit-Hirschtalg-Sportcreme-second-skin-125ml/dp/B002ONP61Y.
Together with the right shorts/pads (best for me available in CNX: Funkier, C1 pads) it enables me to ride 3 days/400 km in a row but then I need a day-off. IMHO better than "Smooth as silk" (I use both for scientific reasons ;-))

Edited by rebo

If it is generalized soreness in the crotch area, not a rash, then perhaps you need to level your saddle or bring the nose down even further than level. I'm sure you know that already. For a rash, as mentioned, Astroglide is good and could be found at the big pharmacy near Sukh Soi 2, Bangkok, a year or so ago. A soft old fashioned biking cap with a small brim works for me for keeping sweat out of the eyes.

For the soreness. Where the legs meet the rest of the body it hurts like the skin got a problem. I have the nose of the saddle down slightly further than level. Else it presses into some sensitive parts. Will find that Astroglide....Thanks

Soreness: I recommend http://www.amazon.de/Xenofit-Hirschtalg-Sportcreme-second-skin-125ml/dp/B002ONP61Y.

Together with the right shorts/pads (best for me available in CNX: Funkier, C1 pads) it enables me to ride 3 days/400 km in a row but then I need a day-off. IMHO better than "Smooth as silk" (I use both for scientific reasons ;-))

I'll try the Hirschtalg Sportcreme, Danke Schoen.

Back in Europe when I ride the last tour I had an average of 220 km/day and never knew about such problems. I wounder why it is now???

Different shorts?

Different saddle?

Having more fat there (I doubt but possible)

Or the skin just need to get used to it again?

My guess is the saddle and/or shorts.

Saddle is some Bontrager crap that starts to fall apart after 500km (I am about 65 kg).

I'll try the Hirschtalg Sportcreme, Danke Schoen.

Back in Europe when I ride the last tour I had an average of 220 km/day and never knew about such problems. I wounder why it is now???

Different shorts?

Different saddle?

Having more fat there (I doubt but possible)

Or the skin just need to get used to it again?

My guess is the saddle and/or shorts.

Saddle is some Bontrager crap that starts to fall apart after 500km (I am about 65 kg).

You're most likely correct, the saddle and/or shorts combination can be one of the most difficult to solve. Everyone also likes something different when it comes to saddles, what works for me, may or may not work for you.

Myself used to have similar issue, and it took me a while of trying different saddles to find the one that doors my cause me an issue. My favorite is the Fizik Arione CX, it is absolutely the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, and that includes those that have cut outs or short noses to remove pressure. The good thing with Fizik is, in the Bangkok area at least, they have test saddles for you to try and find the correct shape that's suits your riding style, so you don't blow a large sum of money on something that doesn't solve the problem.

I also don't use any chamois cream, and don't have a problem with soreness/chaffing. That said, the biggest ride I've done in a day, is only 100km so that may also be a factor.

For the sweat in the eyes problem, just use a cycling cap works really well and you can look "pro" while out and about ;-)

Edited by moonoi

Wear a hat.

Adjust saddle angle.

Stay home when it rains.

3 easy cures.

My biggest problem,

on the MTB is the quick release on the wheels quick releasing ........ cured with a zip tie round the quick release handle.

Luckily the wheel never fell off, but you get one he_ll of a wobble.

Second biggest problem,

Chain coming off the front gear onto the crank casing. Mainly when riding downhill and hitting stuff with the rear tensioner .... cured by going downhill in middle gear.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Wear a hat.

Adjust saddle angle.

Stay home when it rains.

3 easy cures.

My biggest problem,

on the MTB is the quick release on the wheels quick releasing ........ cured with a zip tie round the quick release handle.

Luckily the wheel never fell off, but you get one he_ll of a wobble.

Second biggest problem,

Chain coming off the front gear onto the crank casing. Mainly when riding downhill and hitting stuff with the rear tensioner .... cured by going downhill in middle gear.

quick release, releasing on its own is something I never have heard.....I would replace them. You can buy cheap new one at 100-200 Baht.

The good thing with Fizik is, in the Bangkok area at least, they have test saddles for you to try and find the correct shape that's suits your riding style, so you don't blow a large sum of money on something that doesn't solve the problem.

Hi

sweat just runs down from my face, maybe my glasses hold it back?

For rashes or redness I use bepanthene nappy rashes cream,bought in thailand in any pharmacy or drugstore

AND: after trying out many saddles, I as well ended up with a fizik Arione cx, as above.no more issues. The saddle tip is slim and I keep the tip a bit lower than the back, off you go, at least that worked for me.

there are still rare times when I get rashes, after riding looong hours in very humid weather or after having got all soaked by a storm and drying which, e riding home.

Cream see http://www.bikepartsreview.com/img/NappyRashCream.jpg

Hi

sweat just runs down from my face, maybe my glasses hold it back?

For rashes or redness I use bepanthene nappy rashes cream,bought in thailand in any pharmacy or drugstore

AND: after trying out many saddles, I as well ended up with a fizik Arione cx, as above.no more issues. The saddle tip is slim and I keep the tip a bit lower than the back, off you go, at least that worked for me.

there are still rare times when I get rashes, after riding looong hours in very humid weather or after having got all soaked by a storm and drying which, e riding home.

Cream see http://www.bikepartsreview.com/img/NappyRashCream.jpg

I had before glasses with a part intended to hold down sweat....20 years ago can't recall how good it worked

The good thing with Fizik is, in the Bangkok area at least, they have test saddles for you to try and find the correct shape that's suits your riding style, so you don't blow a large sum of money on something that doesn't solve the problem.

Were you trying to quote me and ask a question?

• 1 month later...

Champneys Sports Therapy Anti-Chafing Protective Balm seems to work best in Thailand as many other brands crystallize in the Thai climate. At most larger Boots stores. Every now and again they have a 2 for 1 promotion and I get a whole bunch. Just spread a good handful over both hands and apply liberally between your legs and some on your butt. Never had a problem since and I do really long rides. For anything longer then 10h some Drapolene 'nappy rash' cream takes care of that overnight.