Adam Sandler movie sparks debate over American Indian images

Lite Beer

Adam Sandler movie sparks debate over American Indian images
By RUSSELL CONTRERAS

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — When a group of American Indian actors walked off the set of an Adam Sandler movie this week, their decision generated praise and scorn on social media.

But everyone agreed on one thing: Despite growing awareness, outdated Native American stereotypes in Hollywood remain. And more Native Americans are voicing their opinions.

This week, eight actors quit the production of the satirical Western "The Ridiculous Six" over complaints about offensive names and religious scenes. The actors said they couldn't participate in a movie depicting a Native American woman urinating while smoking a peace pipe.

California writer Megan Red Shirt-Shaw, founder of Natives in America, an online publication for Native American youth, said the walkout generated praise from American Indian advocates because people were tired of the images and now have outlets to express their outrage.

"In the past, Native actors did speak out but they didn't have the technology to share their views widely," Red Shirt-Shaw said. "It's different now."

On social media, activists used the hashtag #NotYourHollywoodIndian to denounce Sandler's project and to thank the actors for their "bravery."

Meanwhile, other Native Americans say more actors and writers are needed in media to battle hurtful images. They argued the actors should have stayed on set.

The Sandler film is set for a Netflix-only release, and the streaming service says it was designed to lampoon stereotypes popularized in Western movies.

A spokesman for Sandler's Manchester, New Hampshire,-based production company, Happy Madison Productions, didn't immediately return a phone message.

In recent years, Native Americans have been more outspoken.

For example, in 2013, some Native Americans were critical of Johnny Depp's portrayal on Tonto in the Disney version adaptation of "The Lone Ranger." Depp spoke in broken English, chanted prayers and wore a stuffed crow on his head. However, after a campaign by the movie to improve its image with Native Americans, Depp was eventually embraced on the Navajo Nation and was later adopted into the Comanche Nation.

A year before, the band No Doubt was forced to apologize and pull the music video "Looking Hot" after lead singer Gwen Stefani was criticize for dancing around teepees and wearing a series of American Indian-styled outfits.

Elise Marubbio, an American Indian Studies professor at Augsburg College, said those stereotypes are part of the nation's mythical West narrative and usually center on images of the Lakota, the last tribe defeated by U.S. government forces.

But often those Lakota characters of the Great Plains are portrayed living in Monument Valley on the Navajo Nation of the American Southwest, Marubbio said.

That portrayal has changed little since the 1930s and seems to give some a justification to disrespectfully use American Indian clothing and practices.

Goldie Tom, a female actor who walked off the Sandler production, said she knew the movie wasn't going to be historically accurate, but she thought it would be tasteful.

"I don't regret my decision to be in the movie," Tom said. "But after this experience, I'm reminded that we still have work to do."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-25

Satire should be off-limits for political correctness. Most classic satires and comedies were politically incorrect. Imagine a sanitized Blazing Saddles, Holy Grail, The Longest Yard or Beverly Hills Cop. Scary.

Blazing Saddles and Holy Grail have to be among the very top of the most UNpolitically correct movies every made, and they are true Classics!

NOTE: Along with "History of the World - Part One". (Sad, they never did Part Two)

Edited by Just1Voice
  • Like 2

Satire should be off-limits for political correctness. Most classic satires and comedies were politically incorrect. Imagine a sanitized Blazing Saddles, Holy Grail, The Longest Yard or Beverly Hills Cop. Scary.

+1...Everyone is very touchy these days.

• Like 2

Sorry. I respect Sandler's right to make the movie he wants to make and then the market can decide.

They should hire illegal Mexican nationals to play the natives ... sorted.

If people want to protest at the screenings, that's a different matter.

• Like 1

I think the real news is here : that an Adam Sandler movie sparked a debate.

Don't think that has happened ever before.

Don't forget the Seth Rogan piece of garbage, The Interview, and it's supposed attack from North Korea. If ever there was a movie that should have been killed at conception, that was the one.

Pretty sure most of the people who went to see it wouldn't have if there hadn't been any controversy about the dubious North Korean threats. As the saying goes, "any publicity is good publicity."

Edited by Suradit69

What person, sane, would watch an Adam Sandler film ?

Assuming this movie gets finished, I want to watch it!

Yes, I set myself up for this one.

Sane person. Ha ha.

No I haven't watched all the Sandler movies or anything but I am fond of him because of his famous Chanukah songs which are indeed very funny.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Adam Sandler is no Charlie Chaplin but if you accept work to act in a film and bail over something like this ... forget about working again. Nobody made them sign, did they?

Sorry. I respect Sandler's right to make the movie he wants to make and then the market can decide.

So you respect the producer's right to make the film but do not respect the actor's right flip-off the film and their salary? Strange logic. I respect Sandler's right to make the film, and use freakin' Bosnian's as native Americans if he so chooses. I also respect the rights of native actors walking away from something which makes them feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Adam Sandler is no Charlie Chaplin but if you accept work to act in a film and bail over something like this ... forget about working again. Nobody made them sign, did they?

So you respect the producer's right to make the film but do not respect the actor's right flip-off the film and their salary? Strange logic. I respect Sandler's right to make the film, and use freakin' Bosnian's as native Americans if he so chooses. I also respect the rights of native actors walking away from something which makes them feel uncomfortable.

Walking out is completely unprofessional.

I respect their right to do anything legal but I think they have disqualified themselves from working in show business.

I think show business can survive their loss from the profession.

Again, I think they should have either declined the jobs and/or done protests at screenings if the comedy stylings of Sandler were not to their approval.

Edited by Jingthing

An estimated 112 million indians in north and south America were slaughtered by "the founding fathers"... and now they make a movie where native american indians are ridiculed???

Would like to see a film like that featuring Germans ridiculing jews, and the whole planet would be in outrage, parts of Germany would burn and jews worldwide would demand to see heads roll...

But with those indians, well let's do it, why not? We all know which religion is running the movie industry, so who wonders... America should be ashamed of its past, but instead is proud of it - sickens me to my stomach! sick.gif

• Like 2

Oh boy. Blame it on the Jews. How predictable.

BTW ... yes the history was shameful but all ethnicities are subject to humorous treatments in modern America.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

This is the American movie industry, afterall.

It's all about entertainment, historical accuracy has scarcely ever been invovled.

The really sad thing is that so many movie viewers cannot tell the difference.

whistling.gif

• Like 2