New rules for married but still not children

Here is my story:

Married from 7 years but we still don't have children. Before few days was in Pathumthani immigration office for next renew non O marriage visa based on 400k bath in bank. Like usual I gave all documents lake every year, but the officer there tell me that I have to show and evidence for money transactions from abroad, they wanted to see that my money come from abroad. And they told me that will come immigration officer in my house to check, they want 2 neighbors to be in my house with their copy of ID card and house registration. All of this they said have new rules if you don't have children.

On the next day they called me to ask me when to come in my house, my wife have to get day off and 2 neighbors also have to arrange to come in home 4pm. All done, they come on time one man and one woman from immigration, they had write a lot of paper, they interview my neighbors how long time they know me, what they work, later start to ask me what is my income where come my money, and told me that need to prepare statements for bank transfer of my money from abroad (which I don't have bcz I am not prepared for this) and later start to make pictures all together with neighbors , with wife inside house, outside and all time want me to keep my passport open on page with my photo like some monkey. All is around 1h paperwork, pictures questions.
After all I asked them is it necessary this every year, they said , that have new boss (maybe only in Pathimthani office ) who want this and not sure for next year if they want to do the same or not.

Usually this is happen on first year after you marry, but for me they never come before.

So I just want to ask, if any else know about this, is it have same rules in another provinces or this is happen only in Pathumthani immigration office under rules of the new “boss” who want to impress the big boss in head immigration office?

As with many things in Thailand this can vary from office to office and province to province.

A friend of mine had been married many years, similar circumstances, nothing for 5 years, then they decided they wanted to visit, photos etc.

I suggest its just a routine random check and this time you were unlucky, next year, probably wont bother, but you never know, best to be prepared.

There was a report that the Chonburi ( Pattaya ) immigration where asking for a whitness from couples without children

but no mention of the bank statements of overseas transferes being required......yet !!!!

Strange requirement...so now you have to invite your neighbors into your house, who you probably don't know and who you have never talked to before, and they're supposed to know who you are, what you do for a living, etc.?

I'd certainly be concerned about that requirement.

Sounds normal to me. They are just concerned how you are making a living. You have been in Thailand for 7 straight years on the same visa without a work permit or proof that your money comes from abroad.

Neighbors being interviewed is common. Normally they do it at the neighbors house and not yours. They often show up without notice, so lucky that you got an arranged time.

They will ask your neighbors if you go to work or what you do for a living. They are looking to bust you for working without a permit.

may i know is your renewal successful? Sorry i dont get what document the The officer requested u for transaction proof .They are not talking about 400k bank statement kept for a certain period?As my family remit the money to me through agent in hong kong,they want the receipt from agency?My experience is that neighborhood proof is requested for the first new practice only as told by the officer .

Yes, will post after i renew visa. They asked me for statment from my bank where show that money come from abroad, i think they concern if i work here illigal and money come from Thailand. They said want to see transactions from abroad and this is to prepare if from main office asked for this transactions. So this is not sound like regular requarment but they wanted this whan i was in immigration office and later when they come in my house after some question for my income they said to be prepared this if ask from main office.

There have been a couple of threads reference 'married without children' couples being targeted.

I have never understood this. Is it compulsory to have children? What if either of the couple couldn't have children?

I have been married now for 16 years and haven't had children with my Thai wife, and have no intention of doing so. Too old for reverse surgery, so guess I'll have to put up with the questions, if they are ever asked................wink.png

There have been a couple of threads reference 'married without children' couples being targeted.

I have never understood this. Is it compulsory to have children? What if either of the couple couldn't have children?

I have been married now for 16 years and haven't had children with my Thai wife, and have no intention of doing so. Too old for reverse surgery, so guess I'll have to put up with the questions, if they are ever asked................wink.png

When I first married, several old Thai friends told me that Thais view children as the "flower of a marriage". So I guess they see any marriage without children as unusual.

Appreciate not everyone can have children, sometimes they just don't come, or people are married after previous sterilizations. But, to immigration, and I would suggest any immigration anywhere, it raised a flag. Is it a marriage of convenience, are you working illegally etc etc. So they're going to check a bit more. Maybe as one poster suggests, these are random checks and the OP was unlucky. Maybe being here 7 years without showing incoming money transfers made them suspicious.

Again, if the OP isn't working and meets the criteria for retirement extension then that would be far simpler.

As already stated above by Ubonjoe & CharlieH requirements vary between provinces. This year I have an extension based on marriage and we got a visit from our immigration office to verify that our marriage was genuine, The IOs interviewed the Puyai ban & his helper who signed affidavits saying that we were indeed a genuine married couple. This was not my first marriage extension....In the last 6 years I've had 1 retirement extension, then 2 marriage extensions (and never got a home visit, or needed witnesses) then 2 retirement extensions and finally another marriage extension (which did have a home visit)....you can't play it on your fiddle....no complaints....just saying...also no questions about kids or the origins of our living expenses

Edited by mxyzptlk

Sounds normal to me. They are just concerned how you are making a living. You have been in Thailand for 7 straight years on the same visa without a work permit or proof that your money comes from abroad.

Neighbors being interviewed is common. Normally they do it at the neighbors house and not yours. They often show up without notice, so lucky that you got an arranged time.

They will ask your neighbors if you go to work or what you do for a living. They are looking to bust you for working without a permit

That is none of their business. There is absolutely no requirement under the laws and regulations that his money comes from abroad.

For all the law cares, his wife could be supporting him, which is perfectly acceptable under the current law..

And if he is working illegally then that's the Labor Department's problem, not the Immigration Department. This guilty until proven innocent policy is stupid. Seriously, what next? Having to prove our whereabouts 24 hrs a day? Having to prove you're not on interpol wanted list, or not a drug addict or not a pedofile ?

These Pathumthani immigration officers just sound like powerless unimportant people is a deadwood place trying to bully someone. Getting a friend at the local police station to wheel lock their car for illegal parking when they come to visit is highly advised.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

may i know is your renewal successful? Sorry i dont get what document the The officer requested u for transaction proof .They are not talking about 400k bank statement kept for a certain period?As my family remit the money to me through agent in hong kong,they want the receipt from agency?My experience is that neighborhood proof is requested for the first new practice only as told by the officer .

Today i got my stamp for next 12 months and they did not ask me for bank statement, But yesterday I had read some post for retirement visa he post that they asked him for bank transfer statement from abroad and he have and show them.

Seem like depends of officer or boss of imm office.

Today i got my stamp for next 12 months and they did not ask me for bank statement, But yesterday I had read some post for retirement visa he post that they asked him for bank transfer statement from abroad and he have and show them.

Seem like depends of officer or boss of imm office.

Proof that the funds came from abroad is not needed for an extension of stay.

Perhaps you read where it was wanted to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration in Bangkok based upon qualifying for an extension. They require a letter from the bank to confirm the funds came from abroad.

thus if they ask one where was your source of daily living after havinng shown proof of say 500 k in the bank, can one reply not your concern

coz of police act ....????

wbr

roobaa01

Not sure what post you are replying to.

The 400k baht in the bank is for living on for a year. If you presented a bank book that had 400k baht in it for the previous year they could ask to see proof that you have some source of income.

@ubonjoe

sorry for not precise

had i a fixed term deposit passbook 13 months 500 k in it, accessible under the provision interest would be lost if accessed prior to maturity, then

immigration asked how would you make your living, one replies my wife got the money in her account , what would happened ??

or sorry sir i proovvded you the 500 k in the fixed account current which i can access at any time and based on police act... i complied with

immigration rules, hence ideny further evidence whhat would happen ??

wbr

roobaa01

@ubonjoe

sorry for not precise

had i a fixed term deposit passbook 13 months 500 k in it, accessible under the provision interest would be lost if accessed prior to maturity, then

immigration asked how would you make your living, one replies my wife got the money in her account , what would happened ??

or sorry sir i proovvded you the 500 k in the fixed account current which i can access at any time and based on police act... i complied with

immigration rules, hence ideny further evidence whhat would happen ??

wbr

roobaa01

If your money was being transferred into your wife's account that would be accepted. They would just want some proof you are not working here illegally. If they were to ask. Not many offices will ask for it.

If they asked for it and you did not show it they would not accept your application,

There was a report that the Chonburi ( Pattaya ) immigration where asking for a whitness from couples without children

but no mention of the bank statements of overseas transferes being required......yet !!!!

From today on Secrets' Pattaya Forum, a long term stayer got this request for his extension at Jomtien:

"an independent witness with their Tabian Baan and ID copy". Seems to appear more and more.

From today on Secrets' Pattaya Forum, a long term stayer got this request for his extension at Jomtien:

"an independent witness with their Tabian Baan and ID copy". Seems to appear more and more.

This is already going on a long time, there is a thread about this in the Pattaya Forum.

Edit: Found it, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/804312-changes-to-married-to-thai-visa-extensions-at-jomtien-immigration/

Edited by MJCM