Thai bank account.

Also be warned: the "new rules that came in a year/six months ago" are non-existent, being a convenient excuse banks use for not doing something they don't want to do at any particular moment , for any or no reason.

You can read threads going back years in the archives here with people reporting being told "new rules, came in last year" for a decade or more.

^^^^Amen Brother!!! Been reading about these new rules for many years in ThaiVisa posts. The "new rules" excuse is one of the best tactics some bank branches have when they don't want to open an account for you for whatever reason (i.e, the branch manager prefers not to deal with farangs, the applicant just pissed-off the branch personnel, the applicant seems strange, probably a bucket full of different possible reasons). I expect new bank employers receive initial and refresher training on how to make the farang applicant actually believe the excuse.

And everyone needs to understand at the great majority of locations in Thailand farangs are just a drop in the bucket of total bank customer population and much of this farang population don't keep much more money in the bank than many Thais. Yes, yes, in some places like Pattaya, Phuket, central Bangkok, etc., there are quite a few farangs...at these locaitons maybe the farang populations equals several drops in the bucket. I really think it boils down to many branches just do not want to deal with farangs of any nationality...and that attitude probably changes occasionally as branch managers are swapped out.

• Like 1

Also be warned: the "new rules that came in a year/six months ago" are non-existent, being a convenient excuse banks use for not doing something they don't want to do at any particular moment , for any or no reason.

You can read threads going back years in the archives here with people reporting being told "new rules, came in last year" for a decade or more.

^^^^Amen Brother!!! Been reading about these new rules for many years in ThaiVisa posts. The "new rules" excuse is one of the best tactics some bank branches have when they don't want to open an account for you for whatever reason (i.e, the branch manager prefers not to deal with farangs, the applicant just pissed-off the branch personnel, the applicant seems strange, probably a bucket full of different possible reasons). I expect new bank employers receive initial and refresher training on how to make the farang applicant actually believe the excuse.

And everyone needs to understand at the great majority of locations in Thailand farangs are just a drop in the bucket of total bank customer population and much of this farang population don't keep much more money in the bank than many Thais. Yes, yes, in some places like Pattaya, Phuket, central Bangkok, etc., there are quite a few farangs...at these locaitons maybe the farang populations equals several drops in the bucket. I really think it boils down to many branches just do not want to deal with farangs of any nationality...and that attitude probably changes occasionally as branch managers are swapped out.

Be interesting to see what SCB say to me as am in the process shortly of wiring 500,000 Baht to my existing account with the intent of transferring it into a one year fixed deal...... Whilst I appreciate 500.000 is not massive amount its a fair old chunk for them to decline if they want a Residence Certificate

Edited by Chivas

I expect since you already have an account with them they will gladly open another account for you...that is, the fixed savings account you mentioned. Buy hey, This Is Thailand...I'm no longer surprised by any "bank account opening story" since many branches seem to interpret policies differently. And I will say it again, it's my firm belief that some branches prefer not to deal with farangs for various reasons.

You need a certificate of residence if on a TV. You can now only apply for a certificate of residence at your personal country embassy. If you're english, it will cost you a loving 2.8k baht for a piece of paper with no more than 50 words on and a stamp. Taking less than 2 minutes to process. Interesting fee.

You need a certificate of residence if on a TV. You can now only apply for a certificate of residence at your personal country embassy. If you're english, it will cost you a loving 2.8k baht for a piece of paper with no more than 50 words on and a stamp. Taking less than 2 minutes to process. Interesting fee.

We'll see !!

I've never-ever been asked for a residence certificate and I have opened quite a few Thai bank accounts...I have no work permit...I"m on a retirement extension of stay. However, I do provide my Yellow Book each time which is a Thai govt issued address/registration booklet. Numerous times the bank branch has asked do I have a work permit...I say no...I'm retired...I have a retirement extension of stay/visa and a Yellow Book....then they continue on in opening the account.

But I have no doubt some day that won't be enough to make bank branch XYZ happy and they will decline the account opening...but until that day happens I won't worry about it.

I've never-ever been asked for a residence certificate and I have opened quite a few Thai bank accounts...I have no work permit...I"m on a retirement extension of stay. However, I do provide my Yellow Book each time which is a Thai govt issued address/registration booklet. Numerous times the bank branch has asked do I have a work permit...I say no...I'm retired...I have a retirement extension of stay/visa and a Yellow Book....then they continue on in opening the account.

But I have no doubt some day that won't be enough to make bank branch XYZ happy and they will decline the account opening...but until that day happens I won't worry about it.

This is regarding those with a TV as stated above. (Tourist visa)