International drivers license joy and woe

Jimbolai

Almost posted this before but then whamo, a power dip. Sorry if it turns into a double post. Please delete the previous one.

What a trip. Was it worth it? For me? Yes! For you? You decide! This could save you 140 KM and untold frustration if you feel you need an International Drivers license(s)

One must have a five year license to obtain an international license in Thailand for use outside Thailand..

Going from a one year to a 5 year was relative easy. In Bang Lamung that is.

Getting the residence certificate at Jom tien was quick and easy. I asked for and paid for 2 original copies. One for a 5 year car drivers license with a photo copy for my motorbike license. One original for an International license. With the required Dr. clearance and the expiring 1 year licenses and residence certificate new 5 year licenses were obtained in the Pattaya Bang lamung office about 7 KM from Pattaya. No sweat.

Surprise surprise. The Pattaya office does not issue international drivers licenses, any more. An intentional license must be applied for in Chonburi city, the capital of Chonburi province, some 60km from Pattaya.

Same paperwork is needed in Chonburi for the International licenses as for the 5 year licenses.

I went to Chonbury on my motorbike, well prepared with an original residence certificate and medical cert. as well as the two 5 year licenses. After 2 hours being send from window 3 to window 4 and back to the reception desk I was informed that the residence certificate issued in Jom Tien was addressed (in Thai) to the Bang Lamung office in Pattaya. Nothing I said did persuade them to accept it for what it was, proof of my residence in Pattaya. They told me, all I had to do was take the document back to the Jom Tien immigration office and they would stamp it for use in Chonburi. It did not bother them at all that it would be an extra 140km round trip to correct an obvious but very minor item.

Hot, bothered, dangerous are some adjectives that come to mind. There are many more hidden behind a masking smile on my face when accepting defeat and climbing on the bike for the long haul back to Pattaya. This was on a Friday. they even told me to come back early Monday morning. I asked if they will be open on Monday, a Thai holiday and they said, No, come Tuesday. Thank you very very very grrrrrrr.

Tuesday morning, the man in the Jom Tien immigration office just smiled, after I told him my sad tale, stamped the residence form, and assured me that all is well. Just take it back to Chonburi city, no problem.

The same day, after Jom Tien immigration I rode to Chonburi city again and guess what.

No sweat. i left 2 hours later with a Thai issued International drivers license that I may never need but could come in handy in some place some time for who knows what and save me untold grieve.

I am now in another country far away from Thailand and driving on the Thai issued International drivers license.

Don't you'all just love a happy ending?coffee1.gif drinking coffee to stop from going crazy.gif bunkers or get drunkdrunk.gif

Edited by Jimbolai
  • Like 2

^^^ An International Driver's PERMIT (not license) is only valid for 1 (one) year in pretty much every jurisdiction in the world.

Not exactly. IDP from many countries following the 1968 convention have a 3-years validity.

Mine is from France: 3 years validity and can be extended (stamped) once for 3 more years.

Example of French IDP: (see dates: 2005-2008)

permis-international-voyage-vietnam-tang

• Like 1

Whilst the permit may be valid for x years most countries have rules about how long you can drive on a foreign licence before being required to obtain a local one. In the UK I think it's 6 months.

Worth pointing out that you do not need an IDP at all to use a Thai licence in the UK. I present my Thai licence every year for my car rental at Heathrow and have never had any trouble (though as a precaution I always take my UK licence and another EU licence).

Other countries may vary, of course.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Price of such international drivers license? Valid for how long?

After all that running around the price was immaterial. I forgot just how much so it was not much. As to validity, there is none for the International license at all. It is only valid when accompanied by a valid original country license, in my case Thailand and the International license is null and void after one year. However, the 'other' country has their own rules and the one I am in now will only recognize the IL for 6 months after which you must obtain a local license.

Of course some countries issue an International License for longer periods but that has no value at all ones they leave the home country.

Know the laws of the country you'r in or pay the price.

As a side note International licenses are a money making opportunity for some and have very little value in other countries. So why did I go thru all the pain to get one. It may just help a little bit and sometimes a little is a lot. wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

^^^ An International Driver's PERMIT (not license) is only valid for 1 (one) year in pretty much every jurisdiction in the world.

Not exactly. IDP from many countries following the 1968 convention have a 3-years validity.
Mine is from France: 3 years validity and can be extended (stamped) once for 3 more years.

French or not you are subject to local laws and most require you to get a local license anywhere from 3 months to 6 months no matter what you international license indicates. beside it may not be valid at as it is in French and hardly any other country uses French anymore. wai2.gif Sorry if this does not help but the subject was about International drivers licenses in Thailand, not the hundreds of variations there would be in falang land. The Subject title should have indicated "obtaining an international drivers license if you live in Pattaya etc" But hey, it did not fit in the title box.

Edited by Jimbolai

Price of such international drivers license? Valid for how long?

After all that running around the price was immaterial. I forgot just how much so it was not much. As to validity, there is none for the International license at all. It is only valid when accompanied by a valid original country license, in my case Thailand and the International license is null and void after one year. However, the 'other' country has their own rules and the one I am in now will only recognize the IL for 6 months after which you must obtain a local license.

Of course some countries issue an International License for longer periods but that has no value at all ones they leave the home country.

Know the laws of the country you'r in or pay the price.

As a side note International licenses are a money making opportunity for some and have very little value in other countries. So why did I go thru all the pain to get one. It may just help a little bit and sometimes a little is a lot. wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

about 500 baht in USA or $15.00

French or not you are subject to local laws and most require you to get a local license anywhere from 3 months to 6 months no matter what you international license indicates. beside it may not be valid at as it is in French and hardly any other country uses French anymore. wai2.gif Sorry if this does not help but the subject was about International drivers licenses in Thailand, not the hundreds of variations there would be in falang land. The Subject title should have indicated "obtaining an international drivers license if you live in Pattaya etc" But hey, it did not fit in the title box.

It IS an international permit !

French or not on the title, the form is agreed upon by international treaties.

The stamps are basically the only relevant content.

It has a validity of three years !

Validity does not mean that you can drive for three consecutive years in another country.

Completely separated issue.

France is by far the only country that issues three year validty for IDPs.

Germany e.g. I had two such IDPs.

And it is still unchanged.

In German:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/121591/

Title page completely in German:

http://www.hameln-pyrmont.de/media/custom/317_5012_1_g.JPG?1310019221

Edited by KhunBENQ

Whilst the permit may be valid for x years most countries have rules about how long you can drive on a foreign licence before being required to obtain a local one. In the UK I think it's 6 months.

Worth pointing out that you do not need an IDP at all to use a Thai licence in the UK. I present my Thai licence every year for my car rental at Heathrow and have never had any trouble (though as a precaution I always take my UK licence and another EU licence).

You can drive on a foreign licence in the UK for 12 months before having to apply for a UK licence.

My understanding is that an International Permit is not required in the UK if the details on your licence are shown in English, which is the case with my Thai licence. Also EU licences are accepted whether they have English or not, which has led to confusion in some quarters:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm

• Like 1

Thailand has not signed the 1968 convention so this, 3 year license, is not legally valid here. Thailand has only signed the 1949 convention, valid 1 year. What a car rental place requires and what the law requires are two different things. I have rented vehicles in many places without having to show a licence.

Anyway, Chonburi is a big town. Do you have GPS coordinates for the place to apply or a good description on how to find the place?

KhunBENQ already showed you that you were fully wrong and that a French official IDP is in Thailand as valid as any other foreign IDP, so no need for me to come back on this point. BTW I was replying on a post about IDP "in pretty much every jurisdiction in the world", not "in Thailand only" wink.png

Seems to me you never got an IDP in your hand? They are multi-language documents. The cover of mine is in French because obtained in France, but inside you find translation of the "Definition of Categories" page in German, Spanish, English and Russian. smile.png

Thailand has not signed the 1968 convention so this, 3 year license, is not legally valid here.

Not true. Countries that recognize/accept IDPs accept them from any Convention (1929, 1949, 1968, 2011) whatever Convention they use for their owns IDP.

PS: I am living in Thailand, so of course I have a Thai Driving License. smile.png

Canada, U.S., Singapore, UK and Thailand IDPs are valid for only one year. Anyone with a multiple-year IDP is fortunate, indeed. For all they're worth, being just a translation service booklet, they should be valid for as long as the license.

I think the reasoning is that you may have your main licence endorsed or cancelled for bad driving at anytime after the IDP is issued to you, but the IDP would carry on showing you to be OK, so the 1-year limit is a way for the authorities to play safe.

Still, it's annoying.

• Like 1

You can drive on a foreign licence in the UK for 12 months before having to apply for a UK licence.

My understanding is that an International Permit is not required in the UK if the details on your licence are shown in English, which is the case with my Thai licence. Also EU licences are accepted whether they have English or not, which has led to confusion in some quarters:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm

That is absolutely correct. As I'm over 70 I was advised, quite strongly by an individual in the DVLA, I could not renew my UK licence as I was no longer a UK 'resident'. This was prior to a short trip to UK last year .

So, I enquired of the car hire company in the UK and they said "Thai licence, if it's in English and clearly valid, then no problem". The only thing was they would charge me an extra 500 security deposit at the time of rental,

Fortunately for me, the DVLA computer generated and sent a UK licence renewal reminder to my daughters address, she sent it to me here and I renewed my UK licence. I don't feel I've cheated as I'm returning to the UK this summer permanently.

This one is not valid in Thailand! Thailand, and many other countries, only accept the 1949 convention and this means a one year permit. Using the 1966 version is the same as not having a permit so please pay attention.

Is there ANY chance you might have a Google-searchable address? I want to pick up an IDP, too.

If this is for me I bought one couple of years ago from those shops that do photo copies/stationary for the licencing department,close by the school its across the slip road

"Buying" a dodgy International Driving Permit as opposed to applying correctly and obtaining an official one are two different things.

Please be aware of this forum rule ...

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Is there ANY chance you might have a Google-searchable address? I want to pick up an IDP, too.

If this is for me I bought one couple of years ago from those shops that do photo copies/stationary for the licencing department,close by the school its across the slip road

(insert sarcasm) Oh - next to the 7-11?

Canada, U.S., Singapore, UK and Thailand IDPs are valid for only one year. Anyone with a multiple-year IDP is fortunate, indeed. For all they're worth, being just a translation service booklet, they should be valid for as long as the license.

I think the reasoning is that you may have your main licence endorsed or cancelled for bad driving at anytime after the IDP is issued to you, but the IDP would carry on showing you to be OK, so the 1-year limit is a way for the authorities to play safe.

Still, it's annoying.

Think you will find that an IDP has to be backed up with a valid driving licence.

• Like 2

In order to get a Thai driver's licence I obtained an IDP issued in Australia, valid for 1 year. It states that it's issued in accordance with the 1949 Convention, and is valid in Thailand as well as many other states, however I must carry my Australian licence for the IDP to be valid. As other posters have advised you can normally rent a vehicle in many countries (including the UK, Thailand and Malaysia) using your overseas licence only - no IDP required.

A friend of mine has his own date stamp from a stationary shop. He updates it yearly and has done

so for the last 12 years. Officials love stamps and have always accepted it without batting an

eyelid. As for the length of time you can use an international permit in a country with many visas

you have to leave the country every 90 days to six months so the permit re-sets itself.

If you are able to stay in Thailand for a year without exiting the boarders why would you not

get a Thai license. I have yet to be asked for an international permit in any western country

by car rental companies or the police. They are only interested in your drivers license.

At least for Canadians anyway.