Embracing the ‘Thainess’ may win free entry to tourist attractions

webfact

Embracing the ‘Thainess’ may win free entry to tourist attractions
By Coconuts Bangkok

mez.jpg
ABOVE: Internet personality Mezs Mussamont, famous for scooting around town in traditional costume, shops at Central Chidlom in this April 8 photo. Photo: Mezs Mussamont

BANGKOK: -- A fad for dressing in nostalgic, traditional costume may get more encouragement in the form of free stuff.

Beside shopping mall discounts, those sporting traditional Thai garb could also get free access to tourist attractions under a plan proposed by the Ministry of Culture.

To fuel the idea that dressing old-school Thai is cool, the ministry is identifying more ways to motivate people to keep it alive, and one of those is giving free access to some museums and archaeological sites.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/29/embracing-thainess-may-win-free-entry-tourist-attractions

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-04-29

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that changing the wording from "Thainess" to "Thai Culture" would portray a better image!! "Thainess" seems to conjure up a not-so-wholesome, negative aspect.

Edited by Cuchulainn

The Lao do this as well but in a different way - if you are foreign female and need to deal with Lao civil servants, you have to respect Lao culture and dress properly - if you are a woman, that means wearing a "sin" or Lao long skirt/dress. If you don't, the civil servants won't deal with you.

Is cheating and over pricing every farang that you can is the other side of Thainess. Ask the taxi at the airport.

Next time dress up in a thai national costume, it shows you are supporting the Thai culture and you might get free entrance to a Thai attraction....

I will honor this idea, when they go back to walking around the villages top-less!

That's what I was thinking, I guess they only want to celebrate Thai culture post 1930. It is of course part of Thainess to pick and choose the bits of history they like.

"To fuel the idea that dressing old-school Thai is cool, the ministry is identifying more ways to motivate people to keep it alive, and one of those is giving free access to some museums and archaeological sites."

Yep, 'cause what all the cool kids want is free entry to Museums and archaeological sites..

So let me get this straight ... I can walk up to any tourist attraction and whisper in the ear of the ticket vendor to hand over 1,000 baht under the table and then he / she will hand over said graft and let me in for free. Then I'll also be able to ramble through any national park and treat it like a garbage dump and the Thais will then be delighted to have me as a foreigner in their country. Remarkable ... or remarkably Thai should I say.

Seriously can't these clowns come up with anything better?

I think that changing the wording from "Thainess" to "Thai Culture" would portray a better image!! "Thainess" seems to conjure up a not-so-wholesome, negative aspect.

They didn't use the word "Thainess", only Coconuts Bangkok did, because they know using that phrase in the headline will get tons of click and get the expats running to share their witty comments.

The Thai article Coconuts used as a source does not use "Thainess" in any form. It only talks about wearing Thai clothing. Coconuts Bangkok changed it to "Thainess" to get traffic for their site.