Effort to control misbehaving Buddhist monks in Thailand

webfact

Effort to control misbehaving Buddhist monks in Thailand
Washington Post

NAKHON PATHOM, Thailand — Think Buddhist monk, and bodyguards and bomb threats probably don’t spring to mind. But that’s exactly what Phra Buddha Issara is dealing with as he mounts a campaign to overhaul Thailand’s religious institutions.

The activist monk has earned plenty of enemies since he launched a campaign to clean up Buddhism in Thailand, urging the country’s 300,000 monks to be more transparent in their financial dealings and the religion’s governing body, the Supreme Sangha Council, to crack down on wrongdoing.

Thai Buddhism, much like Thai democracy, is in a state of upheaval.

“There is more open crisis in the Sangha then has been seen in living memory,” said Michael Montesano, a Thailand expert at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. “This is a crisis in yet another Thai institution.”

Monks have long been revered here, in a country where 95 percent of the population is Buddhist. They have their own fast-track lane at the airport and designated priority seats on the metro.

But in recent months, there have been tales of monastic misbehavior that would seem to belong in the most gossipy tabloids.

Full story: http://www.sfgate.com/world/article/Effort-to-control-misbehaving-Buddhist-monks-in-6231762.php

-- SFGATE 2015-04-30

• Like 2

Speaking of misbehaving monks, whatever is happening with the whole Wat Dhamkkaya (sp?) case? It seems to have just died a death.....

Not the first (nor probably the last) controversy with Wat Phra Dammakhaya that has been ground into the dust, only to be spoken of in whispers again.......

• Like 1

"There have been monks with girlfriends (and boyfriends), drunk monks crashing cars, monks pocketing wads of cash meant for funerals or playing the stock market. And that’s not even mentioning the monks-on-meth or the selfie-snapping, Louis Vuitton bag-wielding, private jet-taking monk scandals of 2013."

(Quote from the original article.)

Thailand needs a big cleanup in all fields. If needed kick out half of the monks and let the rest live by the old rules that distinguished them over the ages. Then the remaining ones will be a big help returning almost forgotten values to Thai society. Empathy being the most important one.

and I strongly suspect money laundering for criminals especial those with influence

• Like 1

This is rich. The anti-democratic yellow-shirt monk whose thugs forcibly shutdown Chaeng Wattana and attempted to kidnap journalist Nick Nostitz among other crimes is now a leader of reform? And the clueless WP reporter takes that at face value? Rather than, say, seeing a purge of red-shirt monks under the name of getting rid of corruption?

what is a yellow shirt, you really don't get it do you

• Like 1

All religions have their fair share of shonks and pedophiles.

I've yet to meet everyone from all religions, so I can't comment with any degree of credibility.

What constitutes a "fair share" of shonks and pedophiles?

I had to look up the definition of "Shonk". "Criminal" seems to fit the description.

This is rich. The anti-democratic yellow-shirt monk whose thugs forcibly shutdown Chaeng Wattana and attempted to kidnap journalist Nick Nostitz among other crimes is now a leader of reform? And the clueless WP reporter takes that at face value? Rather than, say, seeing a purge of red-shirt monks under the name of getting rid of corruption?

did he ever........coffee1.gif

did he ever........coffee1.gif

Talk about rose tinted spectacles Ichabod.............. I really do NOT think you get it, do you? Yellow shirts hardly figured last year. It was NOT Yellow v/s Red!!! The problems in Thailand had gone way beyond "yellow shirts" political aspirations. He is purely an activist against rampant extreme corruption both in the Thai Sangha and also in Thai politics which (in case you had forgotten), is what the demonstrations leading up to the Coup last year, were all about. You do remember that corruption connection, don't you? Now, monks being an activist, directly or indirectly, that is another question, completely. But I don't think with your "yellow shirt" comment you were talking about that.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

Perhaps a special Monk prison? Need to be very large though. And such prisoners should only have the following rights: food, shelter and medicine!

btw, it is not only Buddhists who hide or seek sanctuary from their crimes, within religion. Sukumaran and Chan ring a bell? coffee1.gif

Since the monk-hood is a refuge for any bad actor (Suthep?) who can be ordained overnight. It is no wonder it is filled with charlatans and those who put self-interest above Dhamma (the pure teachings of Buddha). It is up to the Sangha (spiritual community) to police its membership and to keep watch on those that stray and defrock those that will not/can not follow the Dhamma. How often do you read of the Sahgha defrocking a monk before there is a huge public outcry? It is not often enough and their reputation and prestige are suffering. They have nearly all compromised in the name of unity and to sweep their brethren's evil under the rug to protect their reputation. The rug cannot hide any more dirt and is now being exposed for what it is. IMO, it is well past time for the people to open their eyes and begin looking at these smart-phone carrying monks with a more critical eye. If the Sangha Supreme Council doesn't begin policing the various temples and wats, Thais will drift away from the teachings of Buddha and the drift is already apparent in the younger, wilder generation coming of age now.

sounds like the Catholic church to me, still, everyone is entitled to their own scam religion

All religions have their fair share of shonks and pedophiles.

Ohh please spare me your ridiculous comparisons! In just the percentages based on monks compared to priest or pastors monks have abused their position more than 10fold. Almost weekly its in the news about bad monks. And that is only what is way above just taking a little money or sexing someone's wife. Because monks are so revered they do just about anything they want without even a whisper from a devoted Buddhist.

In a religion where earthly gains are frowned the monks seem to look past that or think they are better than that. Monks need to be checked both monetarily and religiously.

But then, what can you expect when many are excons freed from prison early because they got ordained

catholic church has had its fair share of issues

to say 10 fold is just a stab in the dark ... any stats to back this up?

IMO most religions are the same as cults

• Like 1

On my first trip to Thailand in 1988, Buddhism seemed all so warm and cuddly, particularly as I was working in forsty Hong Kong with the stern faced Chinese at the time.

Living in TL mid 90's, there was the Phra Yantra pantomime and then my Thai wife at the time told me that Luang Po Koon, a revered monk from the Northeast had been injured when his Mercedes overturned - Mercedes?!

Then Thongchai (Bird) Mcintyre did his 2 weeks in a temple. This wasn't confirmed but I heard that the road to the temple was rough so he paid to have it paved and had an aircon installed in his cell?!

Top it off with monks in video stores, riding here there and everywhere by moto/Tuk Tuk.....and now monks playing with their IPhones in full view of all and sundry and one has to wonder if the old standards exist at all any more? You can't tar all with the same brush, but, regretably it seems there is another story about monks behaving badly all too regularly.

In this modern world, turning back the clock with just about anything is nigh on impossible and Buddhism is likely no different.

• Like 1

My brother-in-law is a monk and recently paid 50,000 Baht for a room extension at his sister's house for his daughter.

Now he has just bought a motorbike for his daughter.

Most of the villagers around here cannot lay their hands on that sort of money.

The man in charge of the Buddhists should decree that giving donations as money will result in de-merit not merit.

Since the monk-hood is a refuge for any bad actor (Suthep?) who can be ordained overnight. It is no wonder it is filled with charlatans and those who put self-interest above Dhamma (the pure teachings of Buddha). It is up to the Sangha (spiritual community) to police its membership and to keep watch on those that stray and defrock those that will not/can not follow the Dhamma. How often do you read of the Sahgha defrocking a monk before there is a huge public outcry? It is not often enough and their reputation and prestige are suffering. They have nearly all compromised in the name of unity and to sweep their brethren's evil under the rug to protect their reputation. The rug cannot hide any more dirt and is now being exposed for what it is. IMO, it is well past time for the people to open their eyes and begin looking at these smart-phone carrying monks with a more critical eye. If the Sangha Supreme Council doesn't begin policing the various temples and wats, Thais will drift away from the teachings of Buddha and the drift is already apparent in the younger, wilder generation coming of age now.

sounds like the Catholic church to me, still, everyone is entitled to their own scam religion

Don't get me started on the Catholic church. Fortunately there are few in Thailand. The OP is about Thai Buddhist monks and their misbehaving ways.

Many monks feel some of their brethren, who number more than 300,000, have replaced making merit with making money.

“Buddhism is overwhelmed by capitalism. We have become too much obsessed with the idea of getting benefits and money,” said Pra Maha Paiwan Warawunno, a charismatic 24-year-old monk who regularly criticizes the state of Thai Buddhism on his Facebook page.

“In this country now, greed is promoted. Amulets, Buddha images, all kinds of things,” said Sulak Sivaraksa, a Thai Buddhist expert and founder of the International Network of Engaged Buddhism, who is close to the Dalai Lama. “A monk cannot even touch money. By touching money, it makes the monk impure,” said Sulak, denouncing greed that he says Thailand’s top Buddhist body — the Supreme Council of the Sangha — has failed to address.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/04/05/asia-pacific/social-issues-asia-pacific/checkbook-buddhism-offers-thais-a-stairway-to-heaven-but-brings-corruption-to-temples/#.VUIr5qkXSHv