Enter with a one way ticket?

Hi. I have a new teacher coming to my school from the UK. She is planning to enter using the 30 exemption and then my school will prepare all the paperwork for a trip to LAOS to get her NON B etc.

If she buys a one way ticket, is she going to have problems entering the country because she is coming here to work but doesn't have the Non B yet. What are the chances of her being questioned? If she has an offer of employment letter is this OK, or would this cause more problems? She doesn't want to buy a return ticket as she doesn't yet know how long she will be working here. Thoughts please if anyone has been in this situation. Thankyou.

The requirements for a visa exempt entry is that she must hold proof of leaving the country within 30 days of arrival. With a valid visa she doesn't need proof of onward travel.

She has several option:

- get a tourist visa

- get paperwork from the school and apply for a non-B visa to start with

- get a cheap ticket to a neighbouring country as proof of onward travel.

I would try and get a non-B visa.

The requirements for a visa exempt entry is that she must hold proof of leaving the country within 30 days of arrival. With a valid visa she doesn't need proof of onward travel.

She has several option:

- get a tourist visa

- get paperwork from the school and apply for a non-B visa to start with

- get a cheap ticket to a neighbouring country as proof of onward travel.

I would try and get a non-B visa.

As I'm not sure if i have enough time to get paperwork together for a non B. (She is looking to be here by the 15th May). Are you saying she could enter Thailand with a one-way ticket if she had a tourist visa? I presume she would also need to show a bank statement with a certain amount of money, any ideas how much?

• Like 1

The 15th would give enough time to get the paperwork in order. .

Yes, a tourist visa doesn't require a ticket out and no bank statement needed.

Thanks Mario, i appreciate your time. It's the fact my school is closing for holidays today and the admin staff won't be back until the 11th. I think it would probably be easier to get a tourist visa in the UK and then come over. We can then get the paperwork done for a trip to Laos for a Non B later.

The 15th would give enough time to get the paperwork in order. .

Yes, a tourist visa doesn't require a ticket out and no bank statement needed.

That depends on the location were you obtain your tourist Visa, it is a fact that some embassies and (less so) honorary consulats will only issue a tourist Visa if you can show proof of an onward ticket too.....

• Like 1

I agree with # 7 but if everything doesn't work according to plan, You could always by a cheap ticket($45) out via Nok Air or Air Asia online.This will take care of the one way ticket problem that most airlines and some embassy's require .

I have arrived here 100s of times without a return or onward ticket since 1982 on 30 day visa exemption entries. Some years ago they asked me about an onward ticket and I just told them the truth, that I was going to pick it up in Bangkok or the Airport. I assume that they must be profiling.

• Like 1

I say the same as Estrada. I've probably flown into Swampy or Don Mueang 50 times the last couple of years and used the "Visa Exempt" and I've never had any return ticket and I've only been asked a handful of times how long I planned to stay - they've never asked about return tickets or proof of income or how much cash I have.

The last 6 months I had a non-imm B visa, and when I travel with my wife we sometimes gets the question why she doesn't have a proper visa when I have it.

I say the same as Estrada. I've probably flown into Swampy or Don Mueang 50 times the last couple of years and used the "Visa Exempt" and I've never had any return ticket and I've only been asked a handful of times how long I planned to stay - they've never asked about return tickets or proof of income or how much cash I have.

The last 6 months I had a non-imm B visa, and when I travel with my wife we sometimes gets the question why she doesn't have a proper visa when I have it.

Most of the time its not the Thais at the point of entry its the airlines at the gate. The airlines don't want to get stuck with paying your return flight because you were refused entry

• Like 1

I have arrived here 100s of times without a return or onward ticket since 1982 on 30 day visa exemption entries. Some years ago they asked me about an onward ticket and I just told them the truth, that I was going to pick it up in Bangkok or the Airport. I assume that they must be profiling.

Most of the time its not the Thais at the point of entry its the airlines at the gate. The airlines don't want to get stuck with paying your return flight because you were refused entry.Check out the link below which is a standard in the industry. Coming on 30 day exempt without a onward destination they can deny you if they so choose.They don't deny if you have a visa

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

I think I've been asked twice in thirty years at LHR about a ticket out when I had no visa. Both times I showed my entry/exit passport stamps and said that in any case I could be leaving by a land border. Both times, after a short discussion, I was waved through the check-in.

But then again there is Sod's Law.

Edited by asdecas

As has been mentioned is is very seldom that people who fly long distance with time between visa exempt entries are asked to show either an onward ticket or money.

However, depending on the airport or airline is is common to be refused permission to fly without the onward or return ticket. Narita and Haneda are airports where you are likely to be turned back. AirAsiaX is an airline that is very likely to refuse to let you fly.

Some airlines will let you sign an indemnity form instead of having a ticket.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Thanks everyone for all the input, i appreciate the feedback. As the person flying is new to Thailand they would like to do things as per instructions from the Thai embassy. I appreciate she could probably get away with coming in on an exempt with a one way but there is an outside chance she would have a problem. I have now investigated the paperwork for a non B visa and as we are a private school the paperwork was a lot easier than i imagined. I have now completed the paperwork and sent all to the person coming over so she can get a non B at the Thai embassy in the UK where she is coming from. Again thanks everyone for your constructive comments ( it makes a change on this forum ! lol)

Me too.

You could always book a flight on an airline that doesn't require pre-payment and then print out that itinerary to show at check-in. Make sure the return flight is for a date within the validity of your authorized period of stay, say less than 30 days. THAI Airways Int'l is one airline that allows that. You book a flight (as long as it's departing more than a week from the time you book) choose the "pay later" option and print that out.

Very simple, doesn't cost you anything and satisfies the onward ticket requirement. That or get a tourist visa.

• Like 2

You could always book a flight on an airline that doesn't require pre-payment and then print out that itinerary to show at check-in. Make sure the return flight is for a date within the validity of your authorized period of stay, say less than 30 days. THAI Airways Int'l is one airline that allows that. You book a flight (as long as it's departing more than a week from the time you book) choose the "pay later" option and print that out.

Very simple, doesn't cost you anything and satisfies the onward ticket requirement. That or get a tourist visa.

Two years ago I arrived at Manchester (to come to Thailand) with a single flight - no visa - with a Thai Airways ticket and was told at the check-in I had to buy a return flight. Expensive holiday !

Edited by keithathome

Two years ago I arrived at Manchester (to come to Thailand) with a single flight - no visa - with a Thai Airways ticket and was told at the check-in I had to buy a return flight. Expensive holiday !

Easily avoided, read my posting above.