US media panel slams junta for bashing journos

webfact

US media panel slams junta for bashing journos
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) issued a statement yesterday calling for an end to the harassment and censorship of mass media in Thailand.

The move came as banned station Peace TV lodged an appeal for justice with PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday.

Peace TV, a red-shirt satellite station, had its licence revoked by the National Broadcasting and Telecom-munications Commission (NBTC) this week.

"The banning of Peace TV is at direct odds with the government's stated policy to work toward national reconciliation between competing political groups," said Shawn Crispin, CPJ's senior Southeast Asia representative. "Reconciliation requires the free flow of information and opinions among all political actors, a role the media should be allowed to play without fear or reprisal."

The statement noted that no specific programme of Peace TV was highlighted by the NBTC as being objectionable.

The CPJ said under Prayut, the NBTC had enforced broad censorship directives, including bans on news that could "create confusion, instigate unrest or deepen divisions.

"Prayut lifted martial law earlier [in April], but his invocation of Article 44 in the military's interim constitution includes similar media censorship guidelines," it noted.

In a related development, a team of Peace TV anchorpersons, led by Thanawut Wichaidit, submitted a letter of appeal at Government House yesterday calling on Prayut to show justice. Thanawut said Peace TV had been abiding by all the rules laid down by the NBTC.

"We have to submit a letter to the PM so he can talk to the NBTC to see if the shutting down of Peace TV was done justly or not or whether there was an order from someone. Shutting down Peace TV not only affects the 100 or so staff, but their families and relatives," Thanawut said.

In a related development, ex-PM General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh said sending military officers to the station on Wednesday night was inappropriate. The general was being interviewed at the station at the time.

But Army commander-in-chief General Udomdej Sitabutr, who is also secretary of the National Council for Peace and Order, said the move was within the framework of the law, in order to find out if any law had been breached.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/US-media-panel-slams-junta-for-bashing-journos-30259135.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-01

It's my belief that they have crossed a line where it will be very difficult to turn back from heavy ce nsorship unless certain quarters put their foot down and tell the general to. back down. The general has made a lot of veiled threats and not so subtle suggestions that are very discouraging for the media. But it's not unusual in Thai politics. The same thing occurred under Thaksin when Thepchai Yong and others were bullied and threatened, their jobs lost, their bank accounts frozen etc. The difference is, Thaksin twisted what vestiges of integrity he had left to try to cow the media; the general is simply aiming a gun and opening the jail cell door. Love it or hate it, but Thailand's media had reached a certain level of freedom that was, lese majeste excluded, quite encouraging when compared to the other countries in SEA. There were and are many outspoken columnists like Chang Noi (the highly respected Prof Pasuk and her husband Chris Baker), Voranai, Veera, Suthichai, many others. We readers have had quite a lot of food for thought in recent years. But now the general is destroying all that. The CPJ, which knows Thailand well, is a formidable organisation. Let's hope its voice is heard by the junta.

• Like 1

"The statement noted that no specific programme of Peace TV was highlighted by the NBTC as being objectionable."

This is the nature of repression.

Evidence? Due process? We don't have time for that. We're too busy creating the next great government. sad.png

• Like 2

Several off topic posts have been removed from view, along with some very appropriate replies. Apologies to the members with the replies.

Please stay on topic. No further warnings. Just posting suspensions.

The US media is controlled by their advertisers and political affiliations, with Faux News a brilliant example of neo-con tactics utilized by Rush Windbag. They said in court "We're entertainers, so we are exempt from liability."

The problem, is, if they are entertainers, calling the station Fox News means they are falsely advertising, ass admitted in court.

The Democrats also have their own news pets....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's my belief that they have crossed a line where it will be very difficult to turn back from heavy ce nsorship unless certain quarters put their foot down and tell the general to. back down. The general has made a lot of veiled threats and not so subtle suggestions that are very discouraging for the media. But it's not unusual in Thai politics. The same thing occurred under Thaksin when Thepchai Yong and others were bullied and threatened, their jobs lost, their bank accounts frozen etc. The difference is, Thaksin twisted what vestiges of integrity he had left to try to cow the media; the general is simply aiming a gun and opening the jail cell door. Love it or hate it, but Thailand's media had reached a certain level of freedom that was, lese majeste excluded, quite encouraging when compared to the other countries in SEA. There were and are many outspoken columnists like Chang Noi (the highly respected Prof Pasuk and her husband Chris Baker), Voranai, Veera, Suthichai, many others. We readers have had quite a lot of food for thought in recent years. But now the general is destroying all that. The CPJ, which knows Thailand well, is a formidable organisation. Let's hope its voice is heard by the junta.

CPJ ?

What a tragedy to be so full of greed and fury that you finance a TV station spewing vile and hatred and pay thugs to murder children in an effort to divide that which you claim to love.

You must be thai. Only a thai would make such an unrational response. What does this have to do with topic anywhere?

Provide some proof of your allegations please. Maybe then, I might side with you.

Those are about the craziest and biased attempts of source justification I have read in a longgggggg time.

"In the interview with RT, he said this (video included below):"

RT is the most biased and conspiracy media agency in the world. Nothing they say is true.

Your wrong in the sense that yes the US does have media freedom.

Perfect example are the riots going on at this very moment. Dont you think if the CIA or some other government organization controlled media they would try and stop this kind of reporting? Of course they would!

Your argument is invalid and nullified by current events. [emoji6]

Journalists and the Media of USA are on the take from the wealthy and powerful.

See the log in your own eye before pointing at the speck of dust in the eyes of others.

^^^ see above response ^^^ i dont feel like typing for your kind of people again. Not worth anymore of my time [emoji6]

• Like 1

What a tragedy to be so full of greed and fury that you finance a TV station spewing vile and hatred and pay thugs to murder children in an effort to divide that which you claim to love.

I assume you have some evidence that Peace TV is funded by Thaksin?

I presume you are taking the p!ss. Thaksin owns and opened Peace TV in August 2009. Funny thing is just prior to its opening the Pheu Thai crims were crowing how it would not be able to have its signal blocked. The Junta closure might only be for a week but it sure sat the Pheu Thai clowns on their asses....close down trumps signal blockage.

Several members have suggested that this criticism of Thai media repression should be discounted because it comes form the US, and the US has media problems of its own.

This point of view is evidently based on little knowledge of the CPJ.

The CPJ is a New York based, independent, non-profit organization. It has representation around the world, and its focus is international in scope.

The CPJ regularly raises media related issues in the US.

The criticism should be evaluated on its merits. There is little doubt that freedom of the press has been severely curtailed in Thailand. It is entirely appropriate that those who value the role of the press in societies should criticize the actions of the Thai Junta and its government.

To try an interject a valid argument here on TV is worthless. While there ARE members here who respond with valid and educated statements, these people are a big minority.

You also have to understand this group is very biased AGAINST the US position of anything. Even though this organization is not US, the TV bashers will still use it to belittle and condemn.

• Like 2

It really irks me when people, politicians, organisations, etc, make comments on countries in which they generally have very little knowledge, interest or understanding. One of America's favourite pastimes is meddling in other countries affairs, now more out of desperation due to their sinking as a world power and the fact that any statements/declarations they make hit like a powder puff.

I am a great believer in the freedom of the press, but I don't believe this exists in its true form anywhere in the world. Even in powerful, democratic countries the press is in some ways controlled and dictated to by other parties. In other cases, some media outlets have a strong connection to one political party or another and their reporting is extremely biased.

All I know is that right now I find Thailand to be a much happier and more peaceful nation since the coup, than I experienced in my previous three years living here. Not long I know, and perhaps I'm still a newbie, but I am prepared to give this government, despite some shortcomings, a chance to make this country as great as it should be. I don't think shutting down a reactive, politically motivated, biased TV station is a bad move, because I really don't want to go back to life here pre-coup.