How have I wiped so many files?

Deserted

Hi all, so as mentioned in a previous post, I created a back-up of videos I have, mostly family stuff and noticed that about 20 Gigg has gone missing. I remember looking at them last week and do not know what has happened to them. Many folders had the same name as they used the default name from the camera and in my laziness I didn't change them. I have a horrible feeling that I have copied and replaced material causing it to be deleted but I find it hard to believe I could do that with such a large amount of material. After one week of using various software, defragmenting and checking every single folder on my external drive, I am completely lost and have no idea of where they have gone.

Regarding the 'this is too large for the recycle bin' message, what happens to those files when they are deleted? Are they generally recoeverable?

Regarding the 'copy and replace' message that may be the root cause of all this, can I retrieve them too? I have not altered my external drive since, and have spent days exploring it with various software, I even know the filenames and they just aren't there, hundreds of files have been lost, how could this happen with so many files?

Again the only thing I can add is that many folders had the same name, perhaps they were merged and files were overwritten.

Am completely stuck, all help appreciate.

Files not moved to the Recyle bin are not gone; it's just the data is no longer linked to the original file name.
This means the files are free to be overwritten...and then they are pretty much nuked once overwritten. See below
for a quote I grabbed from the internet.

There is software that can recover files you have accidentally deleted and hopefully someone who has used
such software will provide some suggestion soon. But one thing for sure to improve your chances of recovery
the files, you need to stop using the drive because with the drive being used new data is being written to your
drive every second (i.e., operating system temporary files, files you may be saving, etc) and if they overwrite your
files accidentally deleted then your chances of recovering the deleted files goes way, way done. Good luck

Neither operation writes over the file. Moving a file to the Recycle Bin does just that, moves the file. Its contents are left completely intact.
Deleting a file from the Recycle Bin (or deleting it directly using Shift+Delete) removes the file name entry from the folder. The part of the disk
previously occupied by the file is not modified or overwritten and still contains the file data, but that data is no longer linked to a file name. That
spot on the disk is recorded as “free”, however, so future writes to the disk can reuse that space, and if you keep using the disk, the space will
almost certainly be overwritten eventually. In a case where you need to prevent recovery of deleted data, special tools exist to overwrite the data
securely. That is not done by default because it is slow and increases wear on the disk.

Files not moved to the Recyle bin are not gone; it's just the data is no longer linked to the original file name.

This means the files are free to be overwritten...and then they are pretty much nuked once overwritten. See below

for a quote I grabbed from the internet.

There is software that can recover files you have accidentally deleted and hopefully someone who has used

such software will provide some suggestion soon. But one thing for sure to improve your chances of recovery

the files, you need to stop using the drive because with the drive being used new data is being written to your

drive every second (i.e., operating system temporary files, files you may be saving, etc) and if they overwrite your

files accidentally deleted then your chances of recovering the deleted files goes way, way done. Good luck

Neither operation writes over the file. Moving a file to the Recycle Bin does just that, moves the file. Its contents are left completely intact.

Deleting a file from the Recycle Bin (or deleting it directly using Shift+Delete) removes the file name entry from the folder. The part of the disk

previously occupied by the file is not modified or overwritten and still contains the file data, but that data is no longer linked to a file name. That

spot on the disk is recorded as “free”, however, so future writes to the disk can reuse that space, and if you keep using the disk, the space will

almost certainly be overwritten eventually. In a case where you need to prevent recovery of deleted data, special tools exist to overwrite the data

securely. That is not done by default because it is slow and increases wear on the disk.

Hi yes, got all that but its an external drive and hasn't been used since I discovered they were missing. I have used euerase and so on, I even know the file type and name but after one week of searching the recycle bin and everywhere else, they have gone. I could even find stuff I deliberately deleted years ago but I don't understand how 20Gigg can just disappear like that. I would never delete that amount, somehow they have become lost in a transfer.

NOTE: defragmenting a volume potentially destroys the ability to recover deleted data.

Also, folders can accidentally become 'nested' or marked hidden.

Finding out what happened to your files will really depend on your "workflow" and process you originally used.

Did you copy files (non-destructive), or did you move, rename, or reorganize them in any way?

If you can detail your process we might have an idea what happened.

How did you backup your files? Copy/paste, a backup program or a file sync program. If you used a file sync program sometimes, depending on settings used, files on the target drive can be deleted if they don't match the files on the source drive.

NOTE: defragmenting a volume potentially destroys the ability to recover deleted data.

Also, folders can accidentally become 'nested' or marked hidden.

Finding out what happened to your files will really depend on your "workflow" and process you originally used.

Did you copy files (non-destructive), or did you move, rename, or reorganize them in any way?

If you can detail your process we might have an idea what happened.

Hi yes, there's not much to say> I made a back up of about 130 gig of photos and videos. During the first transfer, something went wrong, I think there was a loss of power not long after I started, so I had to begin again. The second time there was no problems but I got the 'this folder already exists, do you want to merge' pop up. I don't know what I did after that, whether it was copy and move but since then I cannot find them anywhere. They are mostly videos of my daughter and its become a real frustration as months have been lost. If it were just movies or something then I would just download them but its actually content that's precious, hence the question. After one week of trying, I cannot find them anywhere. Again, I want to state, I am very careful generally and I don't believe I have deleted anything deliberately but the problem is that many folders had the same name, default name given by the camera (100photo), and also where I am certain they should be, because there is a missing sequence of numbers, the date has changed with many of them to a time before I had the camera around that sequence. All files are in sequence but a chunk have gone missing and I just don't know how its happened.

Edited by Deserted

You still haven't said what method you used to "Backup" the files (backup 'from' and 'to' where?).

I asked for a "detailed" process of how you created the backup so we would know what tools you were working with, and what pitfalls could have occurred with that process.

The "Type" of process used is also important. Did you copy the files by hand manually, or use special software to create the "File Copy" or "Backup". If "synchronization software was used, what were the settings (as synchronizing can be very destructive).

Even if the copy process "Merged" or more correctly "Overwrote" one destination file with another, it shouldn't have erased or moved the original from your external drive. Generally speaking, an overwritten file cannot be recovered if the OS actually overwrote the original information.

A power failure throws a big question mark into the issue. Normally a "Copy" process, using the File Manager / Windows Explorer is non-destructive. But all bets are off if a power failure occurred during the process.

The message, "this folder already exists, do you want to merge", shouldn't have had any effect on your original files.

With the right tools and enough time you could recover every conceivable file from the drive, byte by byte, bit by bit. The process is time intensive.

If you are ever moving files between drives without other software, always use copy and paste, not cut,,,and then delete the old files after they are copied.

The reason is that if explorer crashes during the cut you lose your files unless you have recovery software.

Piriform Recuva is free and a fast tool for recovery, you can also just scan for movies to speed up the process.

As the poster above mentioned though you have not mentioned what method you used,

Edited by rhythmworx

You still haven't said what method you used to "Backup" the files (backup 'from' and 'to' where?).

I asked for a "detailed" process of how you created the backup so we would know what tools you were working with, and what pitfalls could have occurred with that process.

The "Type" of process used is also important. Did you copy the files by hand manually, or use special software to create the "File Copy" or "Backup". If "synchronization software was used, what were the settings (as synchronizing can be very destructive).

Even if the copy process "Merged" or more correctly "Overwrote" one destination file with another, it shouldn't have erased or moved the original from your external drive. Generally speaking, an overwritten file cannot be recovered if the OS actually overwrote the original information.

A power failure throws a big question mark into the issue. Normally a "Copy" process, using the File Manager / Windows Explorer is non-destructive. But all bets are off if a power failure occurred during the process.

The message, "this folder already exists, do you want to merge", shouldn't have had any effect on your original files.

With the right tools and enough time you could recover every conceivable file from the drive, byte by byte, bit by bit. The process is time intensive.

Sorry yes forgot that bit. All I did was copy (control + c) from one external drive (F) to C drive, then when complete the same process to another external drive (E). Just used windows, nothing else used. The thing I find most perplexing is that they are not on the original drive. I can understand it if they became lost in transfer but folders have gone missing. Like I said, on the first attempt, I got device not recognized about 1 min in due to power dropping so begun again. At some point as mentioned, I got this file already exists do you want to merge. I can't remember what option I clicked but yet again, all drives have remained unused since this, which is why I can't understand where they have gone. In recent days, since I know the file names and extensions, I have been searching for avi files only. Could they have been corrupted and had the file extension changed?

It sounds as though you experienced a power (connection?) failure with the external drive (f?) that the files were on originally. Your files were probably corrupted and are toast. What is the age and type of the external drive that you were copying from? Did you have both external drives connected at the same time? What OS are you using? Did you use Windows Explorer (not IE) to do your copying? You said that you used CTRL-C to copy the files. I assume from your description that you copied multiple directories (folders) at the same time, right? Did you use CTRL-V to paste the copied files (directories?) Since you can't remember what you did when you got the warning, we are missing an important piece of information. Are you sure that you were copying to the correct drive? Most notable to me is that the files appear to be missing from the original drive that they were located on. That makes me think that they are gone forever. You could take the drives to a professional in your area and see if the files can be located.

There is something to be learned here. In the future it would be good to use a file management utility such as Total Commander where you can see both the source drive and the target drive at the same time and copy directly from one external drive to the other. For files that are truly irreplaceable, it is imperative to have two or more copies at all times on different drives. As soon as you create an irreplaceable file, copy it immediately to another location such as a duplicate external drive or to an off-site location. With the rich resources available today such as Google Drive and One Drive as well as for-sale online backup providers, there is no need to ever lose a file again.

It sounds as though you experienced a power (connection?) failure with the external drive (f?) that the files were on originally. Your files were probably corrupted and are toast. What is the age and type of the external drive that you were copying from? Did you have both external drives connected at the same time? What OS are you using? Did you use Windows Explorer (not IE) to do your copying? You said that you used CTRL-C to copy the files. I assume from your description that you copied multiple directories (folders) at the same time, right? Did you use CTRL-V to paste the copied files (directories?) Since you can't remember what you did when you got the warning, we are missing an important piece of information. Are you sure that you were copying to the correct drive? Most notable to me is that the files appear to be missing from the original drive that they were located on. That makes me think that they are gone forever. You could take the drives to a professional in your area and see if the files can be located.

There is something to be learned here. In the future it would be good to use a file management utility such as Total Commander where you can see both the source drive and the target drive at the same time and copy directly from one external drive to the other. For files that are truly irreplaceable, it is imperative to have two or more copies at all times on different drives. As soon as you create an irreplaceable file, copy it immediately to another location such as a duplicate external drive or to an off-site location. With the rich resources available today such as Google Drive and One Drive as well as for-sale online backup providers, there is no need to ever lose a file again.

Thanks, this has been a painful lesson but the first disaster in 10 years. As mentioned I am completely at a loss to understand what has happened. One or two files can be quickly deleted without notice, but thousands with over 20 gig....how???

Just another thing to try.

Download TreeSize Free from Jam Software. This software analyses the whole disk (or folder by folder) and can sort by file size, folder size etc.

I have used this in the past for finding folders which have somehow become hidden within other folders and are thus almost invisible to Windows Explorer.

For 20GB of 'missing' files, it might be worth while to try to track them down by a folder size search. Look for folders with suspiciously large sizes.

Good luck.

Restore to earlier date is possible.

A terrible answer, restore does not restore files, it restores the window registry to the specified date.

As they say there are two types of people, those that back up and those that wished they had.

You will need a recovery program. They will inspect the disk bit by bit. It can take a long time. It sounds like you merged the directories, since you "cannot remember", in which case recovery will be slim. (if you have a lot of free space on the drive, the recovery may be more successful, as there is more space to write new files, without overwriting the old.

While it is too late for you it may help others.

An original and a single copy isn't really a sufficient backup (and is no backup if it's on the same physical disk), as unfortunately you have just found out. Best practice is to have an original and two copies and all 3 copies must be on different discs.

Unless your backups are on different physical disks, preferably different kinds of disks, you do not have a backup.

http://www.dpbestflow.org/backup/backup-overview

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Restore to earlier date is

But at most they would have been on the C drive for 5-10 mins. They were kept on an external drive.

I've lost files using the same process as you. A further option is to download this programme - http://www.wondershare.net/ad/data-recovery/?gclid=CLT40PKAp8UCFVUTjgod-JgAlA and select "complete file search" and then select ALL drives. I've recovered files in the past that were lost in similar circumstances though I doubt whether you'll be able to recover everything that's been lost.

Alan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Perhaps this undelete program,may be some use to you.

This is a free trial version,and on the same page there are several others.

http://www.winundelete.com/?rid=google&kid=wu0408

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=download+undelete+plus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=hExDVcvjBIPhaPjfgbgC

I've also had good luck with this: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Not sure if you've tried this, but have you tried showing hidden files (in Tools/Folder Options in Windows Explorer). There is also a check box in there to show protected system files. Try these options, it is possible Windows has accidentally "hidden" a folder, it's happened to me before when doing backups with Robocopy.

Use a professional data recovery expert. You can do an online search for "hard drive data recovery experts". Places like KrollOntrack do free quote and consultation. Some even offer a "no data recovered, no charge" policy. They may even be able to do the recovery remotely. i.e. No need to take the hard disk to the expert. All done online. Because there is no mechanical damage to the disk, I suspect it would be simpler recovering the data, but it depends on if there has been data written to the disk on top of the "deleted" data (which would complicate things).

By the way, if you do use one of these data recovery places, please do you research about the business, read some reviews, ask someone who has used the company etc.

Also, (depending on where you are) ask your local computer shop, they may be able to recover the data.

Sorry to be slightly off topic but coulda anyone help with advice on recovering from crypt0L0cker. This virus encrypts files and then demands money to receive a de-encryption key. Have tried some of the free help sited such as decryptlocker and Znet with no success. Help appreciated