Officials begin checking markets ahead of school opening next week

Lite Beer

Officials begin checking markets ahead of school opening next week

2-5-2558-11-47-42-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Schools across the country are going to open over the next two weeks and parents are expected to begin shopping this week for new school uniforms for their children.

In realising of the parents’ burdens during the new school terms, the Department of Internal Trade (DIT) is now sending officials to check at various shopping centres, retail markets to make sure that they complied with the department’s call for cooperation not to raise prices of school items.

The check, ahead of the “back to school” campaign, taking place until May 10, aimed at urging retailers to clearly put up price tags and signs on all school items. Violated could face up to 10,000 baht fine.

DIT director-general Boonyarit Kalayanamit said after checking some shopping centres that parents were interested in purchasing school uniforms, stationary, and consumable items at this campaign.

So far, there have been no complaints of price raises as most major producers have agreed to give discount to help parents cope with the high cost of living, while schools that designate special uniforms also responded to the ITD’s request.

The price for student uniforms are still reported at normal rates, while the Ministry of Commerce is monitoring the price movement of consumable products such as vegetable oil, eggs, and cooking gas, he said.

Sellers have also been asked to place price labels for the items on sale to give buyers clear information, while unfair price hikes and neglect of price labels are punishable by law.

Boonyarit also said that producers of daily necessary products have also been asked to lower the prices of 19 consumer items such as washing powder, toothpaste and dish soap.

He said price of products on a sensitive list such as cooking oil, eggs, cooking gas and fuel have been monitored on a daily basis to prevent price increases.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/officials-begin-checking-markets-ahead-of-school-opening-next-week

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-02

Going to the malls seems more like they are taking a shopping trip. Especially since most schools sell their uniforms at the school at any price they deem suitable. Only university kids buy clothes for school on the street or at malls. It seems this article is only trying to help the DIT director save face by making a show of this

• Like 2

Of course if they didn't have such ridiculous requirements, such as 3 different uniforms per week and embroidering the student's name on the uniform, then parents who really can't afford them could use thrift shops and hand-me-downs instead of buying brand new uniforms at inflated prices each term....

yep nothing like officialdom making burdensome requirements

btw never seen a thrift shop here

just people selling second hand stuff at markets

Of course if they didn't have such ridiculous requirements, such as 3 different uniforms per week and embroidering the student's name on the uniform, then parents who really can't afford them could use thrift shops and hand-me-downs instead of buying brand new uniforms at inflated prices each term....

It is not as bad as you claim it is.

It is not uncommon to see students wearing uniforms with someone elses name on them.

Yes, hand-me- downs and thrift stores are a viable option and they are used.

At my daughter's school, I even see boys wearing girl's shirts...no one makes an issue of it.

Just relax.....This is Thailand.

Uniforms are actually a very good idea.

The poor farmer's daughter and the banker's daughter dress the same at school and it levels the playing field so to speak.

There is no competition to be the most fashionable kid in school.

One less thing to distract the students..

It's all good in my book.

You's daughter's school seems like the exception that proves the rule. And poor farmers and bankers don't go to the same school here. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Has anything changed after all this supposed checking? Solid proof now. Price of noodles/food courts. Price of eggs. Price of lottery tickets, which according to today's 'Happiness to the people' purports a month in jail. Which hasn't deterred sellers opposite my local police station today selling them at 120 baht per ticket. Seriously, anything actually improved/changed here. Veridical evidence only please.

Going to the malls seems more like they are taking a shopping trip. Especially since most schools sell their uniforms at the school at any price they deem suitable. Only university kids buy clothes for school on the street or at malls. It seems this article is only trying to help the DIT director save face by making a show of this

the only clothes they sell at the school are the special uniforms like the sports clothes and the friday thai clothes. The shorts and white shirts are usually bought at stores like tesco and big C or markets.

• Like 1

It is not uncommon to see students wearing uniforms with someone elses name on them.

At my daughter's school, I even see boys wearing girl's shirts...no one makes an issue of it.

The poor farmer's daughter and the banker's daughter dress the same at school and it levels the playing field so to speak.

You's daughter's school seems like the exception that proves the rule. And poor farmers and bankers don't go to the same school here. rolleyes.gif

also the 'dress the same' should be interpreted somewhat loosely I think.

Has anything changed after all this supposed checking? Solid proof now. Price of noodles/food courts. Price of eggs. Price of lottery tickets, which according to today's 'Happiness to the people' purports a month in jail. Which hasn't deterred sellers opposite my local police station today selling them at 120 baht per ticket. Seriously, anything actually improved/changed here. Veridical evidence only please.

Between 80 and 100 Baht here in my part of Bangkok. Plus always some special lucky numbers for 120 Baht. Those include the "no guarantee, but it's a nice looking number" wink.png

The highly rated schools in Thailand do indeed have a mix of students from all social levels.

My children went to one of the best in Chiang Mai. They even subsidized hilltribe kids as boarders.

It was a very healthy environment - no metal detectors, no violence, no race hatred.

I'm glad to be here.

I totally agree with students wearing uniforms to school - it makes life a lot easier for them BUT I'll never, never understand why they need a different uniform for every other day of the week!

I've seen students here with a minimum of three different uniforms - incl. socks and sometimes even shoes! Surely you'll agree with me when I say that THAT is an unnecessary financial burden for the average working family in Thailand? Three or more sets of uniforms?! For what?!

Edited by djayz