Amazing Things To Do In Isaan - Any To Add?

ldnguy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Sam Pan Bo, the "Grand Canyon" of Thailand?

Or the Don Cho monkey temple? Or lunch out on the docks at Kham Kheang Kaeo?

I don't know where people live who say that Issan is so hot for most of the year?

I went to Bangkok for a day last week and it felt like I was in an armpit in a sauna. I couldn't wait to get back to Ubon.

Edited by Guitar God

Phanom Rung in Buriram province is mentioned a old Khmer styled temple that is reasonably restored. Khao Prasat Wihan in Sri Saket province - or to be correct in Cambodia, but entrance from the thai side. Its a old khmer unrestored temple. Have been occasionally fights between the two countries so it might not be open. Also Phi Mai in Korat province is similar khmer styled temple ruins.

The national parks of Loei province such as Phu Kradung and Phu Ruea is well worth a visit. The winery of Chateu de Loei with its huge grape plantations can be interesting if youre into wine or even if youre not. The Erawan cave in Nong Bua Lamphu - a cave that goes straight through a mountain is a special place and can be worth a stop and a climb up and through.

I like Udon Thani, a city that have many nice parks where one can spend some leisurely hours of relaxing and picknicking named Nong Bua, Nong Sim and Nonk Prajaak. Nong Khai is a interesting place with a border market and some restaurants and bars with a very nice setting along the riverside of Mekong. The town of Nakhon Phanom has some of the same qualities.

The drive from Nong Khai to Chiang Khan along the Mekong river is also quite scenic and there are some nice restaurants and coffee shops along the river banks.

Go to the tourist offices in Chang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani -- they have detailed brochures about parks, wats, markets and lots of other things to do.

Since when did Chiang Mai become a part of Isaan?

Mai Thai in Roi-et.

Is that a cocktail specific to the Roi-et area ??

It is a hotel with an entertainment complex including a few chrome poles.

You forgot to tell it's a kind of hidden Brothel, read the recommandation in Tripadvisor.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bueng klong long lake in Sakhon Nakhon........banana boats, swimming, natural sand, good food and drink....good Mexican food and pizza with American steve....and plenty of thai food.......a good day out gets very busy at weekends and holidays.....

. I know Steve near Seka, Dan from San Francisco, Enchiladas on Sat . and Peters on Sun.see u next month at Peeps Happy Pizza

Enchilados every day cooked by steves son......and pizza is at pips in sa ka ....not peeps......5555

Amazing things?... finding at last peace and quiet and freedom in a small rural village. Did I mention my wife? Just driving to town now and then I find exotic I have to remind myself how my life was before. Amazing... I'm not sure that I deserve this...

Go to the tourist offices in Chang Mai, Korat and Ubon Ratchathani -- they have detailed brochures about parks, wats, markets and lots of other things to do.

And eat the food! Tell them "pet mai me" if you don't like spicy, but I think the people and food here in Issan/Isarn/Isan are the best in Thailand. I swear the people here are more Thai than Bangkok -- bangkok is a huge wonderful city, but to me has become another Seoul/Singapore/Hong Kong wannabe.

No kidding.

I've been to Seoul. Hong Kong and Singapore and I don't think Bangkok is remotely like any of them. These are all totally different cities.

The list is pretty well done. What I have found from my time living in this region is that just around every corner you can find something interesting. Unique temple, outstanding family restaurant, neat little guest house and various attractions. Hard to list everything and certainly a guide like the one you found will help hit the hi lights. Most times I just recommend getting a motorbike, car or bike and hitting the road. It is however a large piece of real estate which will take time to discover.

It Can get warm at times just as it can be rainy at other times, but there is that magical time frame from early January to late February (near my neck of the woods, Nong khai) when you get beautiful blue skies during the day and cool evenings. Also I love the very beginning of rainy season☔️.

Check out the mut mee website from Nong khai. The owner has a ton of info on the Nong khai and surrounding area www.mutmee.com. Not an endorsement just lots of travel info.

Amazing things?... finding at last peace and quiet and freedom in a small rural village. Did I mention my wife? Just driving to town now and then I find exotic I have to remind myself how my life was before. Amazing... I'm not sure that I deserve this...

I agree !

However sometimes the neighbours make me feel like I have to pay for some sin I comitted. Everytime they start a fire in the wee hours of the morning right next to our bedroom window, i begin to miss the days when life was more healthy in the Eesaan before the introduction of plastic bags and containers.

it still nags me because it is a dramatic attack at my inner peace

the Pa Taem cliffs with their prehistoric paintings above the Mekong. Right in front of them are a few resorts at the riverbank. A great place and you should be fit to do the tour of the cliff at it's whole lenght and then back up t the beginning (circa 12 klicks!)

A side trip gets you to Khong Chiam, a beautiful town above the riverbanks, with restaurants and resorts

Phanom Rung in Buriram province is mentioned a old Khmer styled temple that is reasonably restored. Khao Prasat Wihan in Sri Saket province - or to be correct in Cambodia, but entrance from the thai side. Its a old khmer unrestored temple. Have been occasionally fights between the two countries so it might not be open. Also Phi Mai in Korat province is similar khmer styled temple ruins.

The national parks of Loei province such as Phu Kradung and Phu Ruea is well worth a visit. The winery of Chateu de Loei with its huge grape plantations can be interesting if youre into wine or even if youre not. The Erawan cave in Nong Bua Lamphu - a cave that goes straight through a mountain is a special place and can be worth a stop and a climb up and through.

I like Udon Thani, a city that have many nice parks where one can spend some leisurely hours of relaxing and picknicking named Nong Bua, Nong Sim and Nonk Prajaak. Nong Khai is a interesting place with a border market and some restaurants and bars with a very nice setting along the riverside of Mekong. The town of Nakhon Phanom has some of the same qualities.

The drive from Nong Khai to Chiang Khan along the Mekong river is also quite scenic and there are some nice restaurants and coffee shops along the river banks.

. Chiang Khan is a bicycle town, Beautiful, But Boring as Hell during the week, Nice drive along the Mekong to Nong Khai, go from Udon to Loie to Erawan then Chiang Khan to Nong Khai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bueng klong long lake in Sakhon Nakhon........banana boats, swimming, natural sand, good food and drink....good Mexican food and pizza with American steve....and plenty of thai food.......a good day out gets very busy at weekends and holidays.....

. I know Steve near Seka, Dan from San Francisco, Enchiladas on Sat . and Peters on Sun.see u next month at Peeps Happy Pizza

Enchilados every day cooked by steves son......and pizza is at pips in sa ka ....not peeps......5555

. Seka is on the sign 5555555. U don't go Peters on Sunday

. Seka is on the sign 5555555. U don't go Peters on Sunday