Three cyclists killed, two others injured when hit by speeding car

Lite Beer

Sorry to disappoint so many here, but the driver was indeed a university student and she did not come from a Hi-So family, a rarity in Chiang Mai anyways except to those who would not recognize a visiting Thai Hi-So if they were indeed to encounter one. She hung out with a good crowd of students, mostly from Payap and Rajabhat, and other young adult who tended to socialize at some of the smaller venues around Nimman. My son was one of her friends. Her friends are devastated both for her as well as the victims. Most believe she must have fallen asleep rather than careen into the group of bicyclists out of some drunken stupor. And sorry to disappoint again, but she was very unlikely to be going home from Spicey, a venue whose social scene she and her friends are unacquainted with. In other words she could have just as easily have been my daughter, just as she could as easily have been any of your children. This being Thailand, she is likely to pay a far heavier price for her lapse in judgment than would someone in a similar situation in the US or UK. There is nothing good that can come out of this other than the young middle class Thai crowd that inhabits Nimman take a collective break to reflect upon drinking and driving as one of the major social problems confronting the Kingdom.

Thank you for clearing up a few misconceptions, but it's still a major lapse in judgement for someone to be out at 6 am after a night of "socializing" in the venues around Nimman with friends from Payap and Rajabhat. They don't have study groups in those venues. Where I come from, not every college student does this. Some actually stop their "socializing" when the "venues" are legally suppose to stop serving alcohol and return home at a reasonable hour. I would hope some students from Payap and Rajabhat do this also. Isn't Payap a Christian university? Isn't Rajabhat turning out the teachers of tomorrow?

As for the assertion that she'll pay a far heavier price for her "lapse in judgement" than someone in a similar situation in the U.S. Well, I wouldn't call it a "lapse in judgement". In the U.S. it's called "involuntary manslaughter" and it carries a prison term. That would be if it were found that she allowed herself to drive knowing she was tired and fell asleep. I had a friend who ran a nursery/greenhouse business, an industry where you work 20 hour days during a six-week selling season. He fell asleep at the wheel of his truck, crossed the median of a highway, crashed into a car, killed a family of four and served 18 months for involuntary manslaughter. Plus he never drove again and lost his business trying to pay the legal bills. How's that for "not paying a heavy price". And he hadn't been drinking. Had he been drinking, like the 24-year old driver who killed the bikers, he could have been charged with "vehicular or intoxication manslaughter", which is punishable by a maximum of life in prison.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to disappoint so many here, but the driver was indeed a university student and she did not come from a Hi-So family, a rarity in Chiang Mai anyways except to those who would not recognize a visiting Thai Hi-So if they were indeed to encounter one. She hung out with a good crowd of students, mostly from Payap and Rajabhat, and other young adult who tended to socialize at some of the smaller venues around Nimman. My son was one of her friends. Her friends are devastated both for her as well as the victims. Most believe she must have fallen asleep rather than careen into the group of bicyclists out of some drunken stupor. And sorry to disappoint again, but she was very unlikely to be going home from Spicey, a venue whose social scene she and her friends are unacquainted with. In other words she could have just as easily have been my daughter, just as she could as easily have been any of your children. This being Thailand, she is likely to pay a far heavier price for her lapse in judgment than would someone in a similar situation in the US or UK. There is nothing good that can come out of this other than the young middle class Thai crowd that inhabits Nimman take a collective break to reflect upon drinking and driving as one of the major social problems confronting the Kingdom.

Thank you for clearing up a few misconceptions, but it's still a major lapse in judgement for someone to be out at 6 am after a night of "socializing" in the venues around Nimman with friends from Payap and Rajabhat. They don't have study groups in those venues. Where I come from, not every college student does this. Some actually stop their "socializing" when the "venues" are legally suppose to stop serving alcohol and return home at a reasonable hour. I would hope some students from Payap and Rajabhat do this also. Isn't Payap a Christian university? Isn't Rajabhat turning out the teachers of tomorrow?

As for the assertion that she'll pay a far heavier price for her "lapse in judgement" than someone in a similar situation in the U.S. Well, I wouldn't call it a "lapse in judgement". In the U.S. it's called "involuntary manslaughter" and it carries a prison term. That would be if it were found that she allowed herself to drive knowing she was tired and fell asleep. I had a friend who ran a nursery/greenhouse business, an industry where you work 20 hour days during a six-week selling season. He fell asleep at the wheel of his truck, crossed the median of a highway, crashed into a car, killed a family of four and served 18 months for involuntary manslaughter. Plus he never drove again and lost his business trying to pay the legal bills. How's that for "not paying a heavy price". And he hadn't been drinking. Had he been drinking, like the 24-year old driver who killed the bikers, he could have been charged with "vehicular or intoxication manslaughter", which is punishable by a maximum of life in prison.

If she was drunk, life in prison sounds perfect.

Sorry this is bullshit. So we re supposed to be more sympathetic if she "fell asleep at the wheel" but wasnt blind drunk? As for higher penalty here than say in UK, also bullshit, a drunk driver who kills at least three innocent cyclists in the UK would go down for a very long sentence indeed.

You sound like a pathetic apologist because this irresponsible stupid drunk driver was a friend of your son? You should be ashamed of yourself. There is literally no excuse for what has happened here, she should go down for a very long sentence, and perhaps she will be allowed to facebook all her similarly irresponsible friends as to how much fun it is to spend several years in prison.

Pardon me Pat, but I did not ask for any sympathy nor did I apologize for her behavior. So you and your fellow posse members who liked your comment all need to just chill out a bit, take a deep breath, and read more carefully. I made no excuse for her actions and noted without reservations that she would spend many years in a Thai prison, and contrary to your nonsense, time in a Thai prison is far harsher than the same time spent in a POME prison in the UK.

I did correct a few posts that insinuated that she was Hi-So and would get away with. There were also those who questioned as to whether she was a true university student and others who insinuated she was coming home from a long night working at Spicey. It was those people who I was refering to as "sorry to disappoint".

I do like your suggestion that she be allowed to publicly reflect upon time spent in prison on Facebook. I think that idea has merit, and not just in Thailand. As for me feeling any sense of shame, ain't going to happen while your in the house.

The main part that you had right was that it could have been anyone's daughter. Yes she was stupid and irresponsible but she wasn't out to kill anyone and probably not driving like a maniac. I bet that the majority of ThaiVisa members have at one time or another driven drunk, a few might even have driven too fast or passed a vehicle illegally. But thus far they have been lucky and hence think that they have the moral high ground. So now all of you can condemn me for saying that.

Sorry this is bullshit. So we re supposed to be more sympathetic if she "fell asleep at the wheel" but wasnt blind drunk? As for higher penalty here than say in UK, also bullshit, a drunk driver who kills at least three innocent cyclists in the UK would go down for a very long sentence indeed.

You sound like a pathetic apologist because this irresponsible stupid drunk driver was a friend of your son? You should be ashamed of yourself. There is literally no excuse for what has happened here, she should go down for a very long sentence, and perhaps she will be allowed to facebook all her similarly irresponsible friends as to how much fun it is to spend several years in prison.

Pardon me Pat, but I did not ask for any sympathy nor did I apologize for her behavior. So you and your fellow posse members who liked your comment all need to just chill out a bit, take a deep breath, and read more carefully. I made no excuse for her actions and noted without reservations that she would spend many years in a Thai prison, and contrary to your nonsense, time in a Thai prison is far harsher than the same time spent in a POME prison in the UK.

I did correct a few posts that insinuated that she was Hi-So and would get away with. There were also those who questioned as to whether she was a true university student and others who insinuated she was coming home from a long night working at Spicey. It was those people who I was refering to as "sorry to disappoint".

I do like your suggestion that she be allowed to publicly reflect upon time spent in prison on Facebook. I think that idea has merit, and not just in Thailand. As for me feeling any sense of shame, ain't going to happen while your in the house.

The main part that you had right was that it could have been anyone's daughter. Yes she was stupid and irresponsible but she wasn't out to kill anyone and probably not driving like a maniac. I bet that the majority of ThaiVisa members have at one time or another driven drunk, a few might even have driven too fast or passed a vehicle illegally. But thus far they have been lucky and hence think that they have the moral high ground. So now all of you can condemn me for saying that.

And again it happens. This time Bangkok.

Motorist kills, injures cyclists once again

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/822645-motorist-kills-injures-cyclists-once-again/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Post with link to BP removed due to this forum rule.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Well, I have just read the full article for myself and it would appear to end any speculation as to who was the drunken party in this accident. I trust AoP has also. Do you have anything constructive to add AoP?

Happy to accept BKK Post report,factual and without Thai Bashing or the Hang em Hi Mob,Tragic for all involved.

Thanks Ace. No hard feelings. I know how easy it is to get carried away on these forums. I've done it myself!

For anyone saying Thais don't care.. they do care.

Recent satirical cartoon about the incident.

11187220_887617817963473_742706835657520

There has been a total boycott of this subject on Chiang Mai's premier english rag sheets. That in itself speaks louder than any printed word.

That cartoon is a disgrace honestly

If that was your father or husband and you seen that you'd be so angry , makes me feel ashamed to be on here

It's a satirical cartoon that highlights a social issue bluntly.

IMHO, If it increases awareness and unacceptance of drunk/tired driving then that's good for cyclists and everyone else using the roads.

Drunk driving church bishop in USA kills cyclist, faces manslaughter charges, and is defrocked. Not the first time driving drunk for this lady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/05/01/top-female-episcopal-bishop-defrocked-four-months-after-her-dui-arrest-in-bicyclists-death/

IMO, a massive social menace: drinking and driving in every country of the world. But all attempts to control fail in part due to huge money sums collected by taxes and the booze industry then, under the table, fed back to the politicians.

There has been a total boycott of this subject on Chiang Mai's premier english rag sheets. That in itself speaks louder than any printed word.

Not sure what premier English rag sheet you are referring to but if it who I think.... consider they may be shut down for the holidays til after today..... Last articles updated seem to be the 30th.

Not sure what premier English rag sheet you are referring to but if it who I think.... consider they may be shut down for the holidays til after today..... Last articles updated seem to be the 30th.

No excuse. Both FB are working and NOTHING about this tragic happening. Also one of them has been cut off for not paying GoDaddy.

I mean honestly though guys its embarrassing that someone has even gone and drawn up such a story board. I think it's time for quite reflection for some of those involved and the immediate crackdown on drink drivers following this is too little too late. Basically lip service too keep the peace. Just shows though even after this has happened they still show the storyboard pic with her leaving a expats room(im guessing) but judge mental but we all know. And that for me says they want too share some blame.

'He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her'. Now I'm not a religious person good people, but this quote from the bible still has a lot of meaning for me.

Because, in this thread I have read a great deal of 'stone throwing' from people who really should know better. I know that many of us on this forum are from the more senior generation of society and I'm sure that there are few of us who can honestly say, 'there, but for the grace of God, go I'. It certainly applies to me.

So may I suggest that everyone stop throwing stones and instead consider ways that they can help to reduce the number of deaths on Thailand's roads. Many see this as a problem of lack of enforcement and, to a degree that is true. But the real solution comes at a social level. I've made a start. My stepson has been home from the Army for the weekend. Before he left, I sat him and his mother down gave then a fatherly lecture on the dangers of drunk driving and drinking in general.

We expats should show, by example as well, that this behaviour on the roads is socially unacceptable. One again I play my part by being the 'designated driver'. And I always explain why I'm doing this.

These are all little steps I know, but think back to your own earlier times. Many of our own home countries had this same problem not too many years ago. Whilst the law was instrumental in bringing about the changes, in was society's rejection of the 'old ways' that brought about the real changes. The law often reflects the will of the people.

Accidents happen all the time, who hasn't made a mistake on the roads, how many TV members have driven over the limit....this is all very true, But this lady has taken it to extremes which has removed her from the "accidents happen it could happen to anybodies daughter" argument.

She is drunk and tired after being out all night partying . She was so tired she slept a little enroute - sensible. This is where it all goes wrong and thousands of other people or daughters would have made different decisions. Why didnt she sleep some more? Pull into a garage have a coffee, a red bull, wash her face? Fall asleep again?

Now the next bit for all the daughters and TV members who may drive on, how many will drive off at 100kmh as reported by witnesses? Not many? A lot of daughters and TV members would cruise home aware they are a bit worse for wear and probably get home in one piece.

The argument it could be anyones daughter doesnt hold or that it was a bad luck unforeseen kind of accident. Many many people going home under those circumstances would not travel at 100 kmh. She deserves no pity or "its going to be tough for her" . She made all the decisions herself.

That cartoon is a disgrace honestly

If that was your father or husband and you seen that you'd be so angry , makes me feel ashamed to be on here

I am not sure that cartoon is a disgrace. Its a cartoon of a real event. Its legitimate comment.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A Florida woman who tweeted about being drunk minutes before a fatal wrong-way crash has been sentenced to 24 years in prison.

A Broward County judge also ordered 22-year-old Kayla Mendoza to remain on probation for six years after her release. Mendoza pleaded guilty in February to two DUI manslaughter charges in the November 2013 crash that killed Kaitlyn Ferrante and Marisa Catronio, both 21.

Evidence showed that Mendoza tweeted "2 drunk 2 care" before the Sawgrass Expressway crash. Authorities later said her blood-alcohol level was almost twice Florida's legal limit. Police say she had been out drinking with co-workers prior to the crash.

Mendoza had faced a maximum of 30 years behind bars.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/woman-gets-24-years-for-fatal-crash-after-drunk-tweet/ar-BBjbnEX

^ Right, but that's also because of the commercial custodial system where the judiciary power has to supply bodies to the prison companies. It's not a judicial system that's valid to be used for any kind of argument; not really up to Third World standards even.

Accidents happen all the time, who hasn't made a mistake on the roads, how many TV members have driven over the limit....this is all very true, But this lady has taken it to extremes which has removed her from the "accidents happen it could happen to anybodies daughter" argument.

She is drunk and tired after being out all night partying . She was so tired she slept a little enroute - sensible. This is where it all goes wrong and thousands of other people or daughters would have made different decisions. Why didnt she sleep some more? Pull into a garage have a coffee, a red bull, wash her face? Fall asleep again?

Now the next bit for all the daughters and TV members who may drive on, how many will drive off at 100kmh as reported by witnesses? Not many? A lot of daughters and TV members would cruise home aware they are a bit worse for wear and probably get home in one piece.

The argument it could be anyones daughter doesnt hold or that it was a bad luck unforeseen kind of accident. Many many people going home under those circumstances would not travel at 100 kmh. She deserves no pity or "its going to be tough for her" . She made all the decisions herself.

100 km/hr sounds outrageous except that on most if that stretch of highway the speed limit is 90 km/hr and the 100 km/hr figure is based upon witness' estimates rather than upon any form of measurement.

100 km/hr sounds outrageous except that on most if that stretch of highway the speed limit is 90 km/hr and the 100 km/hr figure is based upon witness' estimates rather than upon any form of measurement.

My personal feeling if i had been out all night and was having trouble staying awake and had a few beers hours earlier but was not blind drunk, i would drive slower than 100kmh. I think other people would ease up as well? 100kmh is too fast when you can't stay awake and are dog tired. Posters have suggested her alcohol level was not very high to be so drunk you don't know what you are doing. She must have still been capable of rational thought?

ROAD ACCIDENT

Arrest sought over cyclists' death
The Nation

x30259469-02_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dw4snM

BANGKOK: -- POLICE will seek an arrest warrant for the 23-year-old female student, who faces criminal charges for crashing into a convoy of cyclists in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district on Sunday morning killing three, to prevent a flight risk, a senior police officer said yesterday.

Patchuda Jairuean, currently being treated at a hospital for a broken arm, will also face charges of drunk driving and reckless driving causing deaths and injuries, punishable by up to 10 years in jail, said Provincial Police Region 5 deputy chief Pol Maj-General Pacha Rattanapan.

Patchuda is believed to have dozed off while driving, and her alcohol level was 67 milligrams per cent, slightly above the legal limit. As her car was covered by first-class insurance, the company would be paying damages, including the Bt700,000 compensation to each deceased person, he said.

Some 100 members of the Sansai Cyclists Club gathered at 6am yesterday at Tambon San Sai Municipality to mourn the deaths and called for cyclists' right to safely use roads.

Meanwhile, Saran Intanin, 23, who fled after being allegedly involved in a road accident on Monday night, turned himself over to police yesterday. He faces charges for killing one cyclist and injured two others in Bangkok.

The accident took place on Monday night, when the car allegedly driven by Saran swerved into the bicycle lane and hit them all. By the time police had arrived, he had fled the scene.

"He has confessed to the crime now. He said he fled because he was worried that he would upset his parents," Khok Kram Police Station's superintendent, Kittichet Sakkayaphapwichanont, said.

Meanwhile, another cyclist suffered injuries yesterday morning while riding on the road running parallel to Rama 9 motorway in Bangkok when he was hit by a motorcyle. The cyclist was well-known Wichien "Uncle Ood" Pinkesorn, 56.

Source: http://www.nationmul...h-30259469.html

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DDV
-- The Nation 2015-05-07

"Currently being treated in hospital for a broken arm" ?? The accident happened on Sunday and its now Thursday. A broken arm, leg, or wrist etc would generally be dealt with and back home same day !!......Police said theyre awaiting her recovery before she appears in court. So cant she appear with her arm in a plaster cast then?

Perhaps I have a suspicious mind, but the possible dragging of feet seems a bit fishy??

"Currently being treated in hospital for a broken arm" ?? The accident happened on Sunday and its now Thursday. A broken arm, leg, or wrist etc would generally be dealt with and back home same day !!......Police said theyre awaiting her recovery before she appears in court. So cant she appear with her arm in a plaster cast then?

Perhaps I have a suspicious mind, but the possible dragging of feet seems a bit fishy??

Where did you read that they are waiting for her to recover before processing her case?

My personal feeling if i had been out all night and was having trouble staying awake and had a few beers hours earlier but was not blind drunk, i would drive slower than 100kmh. I think other people would ease up as well? 100kmh is too fast when you can't stay awake and are dog tired. Posters have suggested her alcohol level was not very high to be so drunk you don't know what you are doing. She must have still been capable of rational thought?

I don’t mean any disrespect, but I think that the disconnect here is that you are viewing this through the eyes of an old man who in his own country drives 40 miles per hour on interstate highways rather than through the eyes of a 23 year old. But in any case, I think that the Thai legal system is capable of handling this matter better than peasants with pitchforks.

Perhaps if young people weren't simply given cars, but rather scrimped and saved earnings from a part time job to buy one, they might have a greater appreciation for what it means to have a car and be able to drive, and take the whole thing a bit more seriously than they do.

Easy come, easy go attitude, combined with very little experience, can cause problems. Throw alcohol into the mix too, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I dont mean any disrespect, but I think that the disconnect here is that you are viewing this through the eyes of an old man who in his own country drives 40 miles per hour on interstate highways rather than through the eyes of a 23 year old. But in any case, I think that the Thai legal system is capable of handling this matter better than peasants with pitchforks.

We are only talking here of driving when you are so tired you want to sleep. I may be in the minority but when i am so fatigued i dont have the feeling to go faster. We are not talking about driving after a normal nights sleep. This is on a road with houses and businesses on either side, pedestrians trying to cross, stray dogs wandering about. 40mph or 60kmh might be good speed on this road?

Its hard to guess peoples ages on these forums . Are you a retired senior? I didnt just assume this BTW.

Where did you read that they are waiting for her to recover before processing her case?

That was as it was reported at the weekend in the aftermath of the accident. When I read that my (perhaps unfounded, we ll see ) suspicions were raised.

Remember the kid in Bangkok who killed a cop on a bike with his Lambhorgini, well he got loads of adjournments of his case due to the "post accident trauma" he was "suffering from". In reality, he wasnt hurt at all, just buying time so his legal people could it seems work on the powers that be to avoid incarceration, which indeed he did, ie avoid prison.

Thai news is reporting that the families of the deceased have declined 500K baht each in compensation in exchange for not pressing charges. They did receive a smaller insurance payout from the driver's Po Ro Bo coverage. Looks like they will be demanding justice and/or more substamtial compensation.

Thai news is reporting that the families of the deceased have declined 500K baht each in compensation in exchange for not pressing charges. They did receive a smaller insurance payout from the driver's Po Ro Bo coverage. Looks like they will be demanding justice and/or more substamtial compensation.

Hopefully the families will get justice. And hopefully this irresponsible girl who ruined many people's lives will rot in prison for the full 10 year term.

Archived