Three cyclists killed, two others injured when hit by speeding car

Lite Beer

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad that someone had to die, maybe now some common sense will be absorbed.Sorry, these groups of cyclists, usually riding in pairs, cause serious traffic blockage whichever country they are in. This is Thailand. The driving standards are low (an understatement), drivers patience is low. A group this large is an accident waiting to happen. Why can't they cycle single file on the hard shoulder? Far less risk. I often encounter a small group of fully kitted out sport cyclists in the Sattahip/Pattaya area. They cycle in pairs, about 30 kph ish. Sometimes actually on the highway. If the traffic is heavy, as it is a lot of the time, they cause considerable inconvenience and frustration to normal road users. They are Farang. They are an accident waiting to happen. If I seem non PC about this, tough shit. I hated them in the UK , I detest them here in Thailand. Ride single file, don't irritate the bigger , quicker, denizens of the highways. I don't own the road, but I at least pay to use it, and I get very frustrated when my journeys are impeded by gaggles of cyclists. I expect a lot of flack from this comment. Boll*cks. When I encounter 'real' cyclists travelling from A to B for a purpose I treat them with caution. Groups of cyclists I avoid, but I get a little frustrated when they impede my progress.

Basically you are saying you dont like other roads users in front of you blocking your way. Stopping you from going faster. Everyone else and their journey is of less importance than yours. This kind of viewpoint is not healthy it may lead to ulcers, heart attacks and the like.You need to work on relaxing a bit. If you get home 30 seconds slower than what you may have is it a big deal?

Sad that someone had to die, maybe now some common sense will be absorbed.Sorry, these groups of cyclists, usually riding in pairs, cause serious traffic blockage whichever country they are in. This is Thailand. The driving standards are low (an understatement), drivers patience is low. A group this large is an accident waiting to happen. Why can't they cycle single file on the hard shoulder? Far less risk. I often encounter a small group of fully kitted out sport cyclists in the Sattahip/Pattaya area. They cycle in pairs, about 30 kph ish. Sometimes actually on the highway. If the traffic is heavy, as it is a lot of the time, they cause considerable inconvenience and frustration to normal road users. They are Farang. They are an accident waiting to happen. If I seem non PC about this, tough shit. I hated them in the UK , I detest them here in Thailand. Ride single file, don't irritate the bigger , quicker, denizens of the highways. I don't own the road, but I at least pay to use it, and I get very frustrated when my journeys are impeded by gaggles of cyclists. I expect a lot of flack from this comment. Boll*cks. When I encounter 'real' cyclists travelling from A to B for a purpose I treat them with caution. Groups of cyclists I avoid, but I get a little frustrated when they impede my progress.

Basically you are saying you dont like other roads users in front of you blocking your way. Stopping you from going faster. Everyone else and their journey is of less importance than yours. This kind of viewpoint is not healthy it may lead to ulcers, heart attacks and the like.You need to work on relaxing a bit. If you get home 30 seconds slower than what you may have is it a big deal?

John1012 boy, perhaps this will get thru.....

" Better to be late at the Goldlen Gate

than to arrive in Hell on time."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope they string her up on the gallows for this.

Just terrible news indeed.

Read that her blood alcohol level was 67.

That's not even over the limit in many countries including Malaysia, Singapore and the USA.

It's not like she was completely wasted.

Just that Thailand has a relatively strict limit, combined with really lax enforcement.

That doesn't make it any better. Pissed or not what was she doing driving like that?

There are actually differing opinions as to what constitutes 'unfit to drive' due to alcohol. One person can be completely in control at the say 80mg, whilst another is quite wobbly at 40mg. Fatigue is a big contributing factor as well. I note that this accident occurred at 6:15am. So fatigue plus alcohol is a likely feature in this tragic accident.

These differences can be seen in the differing tolerance levels in various countries. There are a number of countries in Eastern Europe and Russia which now have zero tolerance and Scandinavia is so low at 20mg that it might as well be zero.

And I particularly noticed that there is zero tolerance for motorcyclists in Greece and Cyprus. Imagine trying to impose that here!

I am also quite disgusted at the moron who took and posted the images onto Youtube. How morbid is that?

In my earlier days, I used to hold the Asian culture in quite high esteem. Not any more. I have become totally disillusioned.

Lack of education in how to drive combined with being allowed to drive at any speed at all is the killer in this nation.

Other factors come into play, but i do find the rush by thais to lay the finger at drunk driving very disappointing. While some do indeed cause their accidents from drinking too much, i reckon the vast majority of accidents are caused by nutters who just drive too fast. In the main i'd say it's speed that kills here, not alcohol.

And as for the famed thai patience… well it gets zapped into the ether once they get behind the wheel of a car. Turn the key on, turn the brain off. Not all of them, but a significant minority, perhaps even a majority.

What was the Booz in the others injured?..

Have you actually read the OP? Those killed and injured were members of a BICYCLING club, out for a Sunday morning group ride. Do you seriously think any of them had alcohol in their bloodstream? Did you see their ages? They weren't young people on motorbikes coming back from a night of clubbing.

While the video was grisly to watch, one thing was certain -- these were serious hobbyists. They had proper equipment and clothing (what was left of it) I seriously doubt they were riding three or four abreast -- as has been suggested. They were members of a club, and like other clubs that go out for weekly Sunday morning rides, they probably were riding single file.

I suspect the driver under the influence may have fallen asleep at the wheel, as has been suggested, and been awakened by the carnage she was causing. She responded by over-correcting her steering, which caused the vehicle to flip over.

Reason i ask looks to me as if she swerved too hard,as if she overacted to a bike pulling out in front, and they do ride badly on those race type bikes,unlike Touring Bikers who are considerate to others.

Were you there ?" It looks to me " you and the rest of us don't know EXACTLY what happened and as for your comment these groups ride badly where is your evidence of that ?

I have in the past been cycling in various groups and from my own experience and observations no one rides badly, as you put it, and these were all very experienced riders that probably ride every weekend and have been for many years,sadly for some no more.

As for the girls level of alcohol some Asian women are not renowned for their ability to be able to consume alcohol and retain their faculties so no matter what the reading if you drink don't drive.

What was the Booz in the others injured?..

While the video was grisly to watch, one thing was certain -- these were serious hobbyists. They had proper equipment and clothing (what was left of it) I seriously doubt they were riding three or four abreast -- as has been suggested. They were members of a club, and like other clubs that go out for weekly Sunday morning rides, they probably were riding single file.

I've also seen groups on the Canal road and they were always dressed with proper equipment and always single file. Even so, I stay pretty clear of them in case one has a control issue (tire, holes or obstacles in the road, etc.). Never seen them 'drive badly', they are keen cyclists.

Bangkok Post front page..

Police on Monday charged a university student with reckless driving after she rammed her car into a group of cyclists, killing three and injuring two. 10 year jai term an 20 k fine.

Bangkok Post front page..

Police on Monday charged a university student with reckless driving after she rammed her car into a group of cyclists, killing three and injuring two. 10 year jai term an 20 k fine.

Thaivisa cannot quote the full Bangkok post article. But the charge might carry 'a maximum jail term of 10 years and a fine of up to 20,000 baht under the Criminal Code'.

Post with link to BP removed due to this forum rule.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Well, I have just read the full article for myself and it would appear to end any speculation as to who was the drunken party in this accident. I trust AoP has also. Do you have anything constructive to add AoP?

Sorry to disappoint so many here, but the driver was indeed a university student and she did not come from a Hi-So family, a rarity in Chiang Mai anyways except to those who would not recognize a visiting Thai Hi-So if they were indeed to encounter one. She hung out with a good crowd of students, mostly from Payap and Rajabhat, and other young adult who tended to socialize at some of the smaller venues around Nimman. My son was one of her friends. Her friends are devastated both for her as well as the victims. Most believe she must have fallen asleep rather than careen into the group of bicyclists out of some drunken stupor. And sorry to disappoint again, but she was very unlikely to be going home from Spicey, a venue whose social scene she and her friends are unacquainted with. In other words she could have just as easily have been my daughter, just as she could as easily have been any of your children. This being Thailand, she is likely to pay a far heavier price for her lapse in judgment than would someone in a similar situation in the US or UK.

There is nothing good that can come out of this other than the young middle class Thai crowd that inhabits Nimman take a collective break to reflect upon drinking and driving as one of the major social problems confronting the Kingdom.

What heavier price will she pay in Thailand compared to the USA or the UK? I would guess in the UK US she would expect some jail time. Will that happen here? Somebody posted that you only loose your license after the third drink driving conviction in Thailand. I wouldnt be surprised if she leaves Chiang Mai for Bangkok or wherever, studies somewhere else or gets a job. She may well change her name for a fresh start.

What heavier price will she pay in Thailand compared to the USA or the UK? I would guess in the UK US she would expect some jail time.

Exactly, but prison time in Thailand is far more difficult than prison time in the US or the UK. In the US she would probably be sent to some minimum security facility a la Martha Stewart.

Again, only the real Hi-So get away with such crimes and there are really few true Hi-So in Chiang Mai. And her family, coming from a smaller town far to the north, are not such a family.

Sorry to disappoint so many here, but the driver was indeed a university student and she did not come from a Hi-So family, a rarity in Chiang Mai anyways except to those who would not recognize a visiting Thai Hi-So if they were indeed to encounter one. She hung out with a good crowd of students, mostly from Payap and Rajabhat, and other young adult who tended to socialize at some of the smaller venues around Nimman. My son was one of her friends. Her friends are devastated both for her as well as the victims. Most believe she must have fallen asleep rather than careen into the group of bicyclists out of some drunken stupor. And sorry to disappoint again, but she was very unlikely to be going home from Spicey, a venue whose social scene she and her friends are unacquainted with. In other words she could have just as easily have been my daughter, just as she could as easily have been any of your children. This being Thailand, she is likely to pay a far heavier price for her lapse in judgment than would someone in a similar situation in the US or UK. There is nothing good that can come out of this other than the young middle class Thai crowd that inhabits Nimman take a collective break to reflect upon drinking and driving as one of the major social problems confronting the Kingdom.

Yeah if any good CAN come out of this maybe a few people will reconsider driving next time the've had a few beer's / whiskey's or whatever else.......i would'nt hold your breath though. There's been more than enough video's uploaded to YouLike showing horrific crash's caused by bad driving, drink driving and careless driving for people to understand what can and does happen pretty much everyday now.

I've no doubt that the girl in question is devastated by whats happened and it was obviously not intentional..she's now gotta live with whats happened and that in itself is gonna be tough, i cant imagine what killing 3 ( or is it now 5 ? ) people must feel like..im thinking not good.

Fact is though 3 or 5 people have been killed in an accident that could well have been avoided.

The Thai authority's should use this as an example and bring down the harshest penalties....if they don't they are just giving a free pass to the next person that accidentally mow's down 3, 5 or 10 people at the side of the road.

I feel for the girl in question but the fact is her stupidity just ruined 3 or 5 families live's...she deserve's everything she gets.

Sorry to disappoint so many here, but the driver was indeed a university student and she did not come from a Hi-So family, a rarity in Chiang Mai anyways except to those who would not recognize a visiting Thai Hi-So if they were indeed to encounter one. She hung out with a good crowd of students, mostly from Payap and Rajabhat, and other young adult who tended to socialize at some of the smaller venues around Nimman. My son was one of her friends. Her friends are devastated both for her as well as the victims. Most believe she must have fallen asleep rather than careen into the group of bicyclists out of some drunken stupor. And sorry to disappoint again, but she was very unlikely to be going home from Spicey, a venue whose social scene she and her friends are unacquainted with. In other words she could have just as easily have been my daughter, just as she could as easily have been any of your children. This being Thailand, she is likely to pay a far heavier price for her lapse in judgment than would someone in a similar situation in the US or UK. There is nothing good that can come out of this other than the young middle class Thai crowd that inhabits Nimman take a collective break to reflect upon drinking and driving as one of the major social problems confronting the Kingdom.

Thank you for a sensible and real post.

Accidents are generally accidents, which is why we call them accidents.

It is a horrible situation for all concerned, it was not deliberate and she, her family and the families of those dead and injured are probably all in some sort of mental hell right now.

They are probably all talking to each other at the respective funerals and dealing with the shit in that unique Thai way.

Something that takes real courage.

They are dead and her life is now changed for ever.

Terrible accident.

And before the TVF "hang her high brigade" kick in, ask yourself how many near misses you have had in the course of your lives, where you were at fault.

Wherever she came from, or Whoever she is, at the end of the day, ''SHE TOOK THE LIVES OF THREE PEOPLE AND INJURED MORE'',

iRRESPONSIBLE TO SAY THE LEAST....

NEEDS TO LEARN BASIC EDUCATION...

Sorry this is bullshit. So we re supposed to be more sympathetic if she "fell asleep at the wheel" but wasnt blind drunk? As for higher penalty here than say in UK, also bullshit, a drunk driver who kills at least three innocent cyclists in the UK would go down for a very long sentence indeed.

You sound like a pathetic apologist because this irresponsible stupid drunk driver was a friend of your son? You should be ashamed of yourself. There is literally no excuse for what has happened here, she should go down for a very long sentence, and perhaps she will be allowed to facebook all her similarly irresponsible friends as to how much fun it is to spend several years in prison.

Well, I have just read the full article for myself and it would appear to end any speculation as to who was the drunken party in this accident. I trust AoP has also. Do you have anything constructive to add AoP?

Happy to accept BKK Post report,factual and without Thai Bashing or the Hang em Hi Mob,Tragic for all involved.

Sorry this is bullshit. So we re supposed to be more sympathetic if she "fell asleep at the wheel" but wasnt blind drunk? As for higher penalty here than say in UK, also bullshit, a drunk driver who kills at least three innocent cyclists in the UK would go down for a very long sentence indeed.

You sound like a pathetic apologist because this irresponsible stupid drunk driver was a friend of your son? You should be ashamed of yourself. There is literally no excuse for what has happened here, she should go down for a very long sentence, and perhaps she will be allowed to facebook all her similarly irresponsible friends as to how much fun it is to spend several years in prison.

Pardon me Pat, but I did not ask for any sympathy nor did I apologize for her behavior. So you and your fellow posse members who liked your comment all need to just chill out a bit, take a deep breath, and read more carefully. I made no excuse for her actions and noted without reservations that she would spend many years in a Thai prison, and contrary to your nonsense, time in a Thai prison is far harsher than the same time spent in a POME prison in the UK.

I did correct a few posts that insinuated that she was Hi-So and would get away with. There were also those who questioned as to whether she was a true university student and others who insinuated she was coming home from a long night working at Spicey. It was those people who I was refering to as "sorry to disappoint".

I do like your suggestion that she be allowed to publicly reflect upon time spent in prison on Facebook. I think that idea has merit, and not just in Thailand. As for me feeling any sense of shame, ain't going to happen while your in the house.

Archived