1 year driving license on TR visa?

BKKdreaming - yes its the mileage, if I go to CM it will cost more in buses than what the embassy will charge me but if I can do in BKK that could be an option, have you any info I might need to know about the BKK driving centre? Like waiting times or any difficulties? Cheers

FAZ - thanks I did not know that, but if I am going to extend my stay, which I very well may be doing I will need a thai one. Im actually trying to do the right thing ya know, but getting to the stage where Im wandering why Im bothering haha. Another problem is that my CofR will be running out in about 2 weeks so need to get it done soon or my paperwork will become invalid and will have to do that again at immigration.

Below is the link for making an appt at the embassy but when I click the highlighted word "here" to open up to make appt, it goes to 'problem loading page'!?!

Anyone got a link for making appointment at British Embassy online that I can use? Im running out of time and in this heat, I dont want to get angry or I will be on TVF as a headline rather than a poster hahaah

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/british-embassy-in-bangkok-changes-appointment-system/37692/

The internet is a truly amazing tool which (almost) anyone can use ! smile.png

This found in approx 30 seconds using Google

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

BKKdreaming - yes its the mileage, if I go to CM it will cost more in buses than what the embassy will charge me but if I can do in BKK that could be an option, have you any info I might need to know about the BKK driving centre? Like waiting times or any difficulties? Cheers

FAZ - thanks I did not know that, but if I am going to extend my stay, which I very well may be doing I will need a thai one. Im actually trying to do the right thing ya know, but getting to the stage where Im wandering why Im bothering haha. Another problem is that my CofR will be running out in about 2 weeks so need to get it done soon or my paperwork will become invalid and will have to do that again at immigration.

Below is the link for making an appt at the embassy but when I click the highlighted word "here" to open up to make appt, it goes to 'problem loading page'!?!

Anyone got a link for making appointment at British Embassy online that I can use? Im running out of time and in this heat, I dont want to get angry or I will be on TVF as a headline rather than a poster hahaah

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/british-embassy-in-bangkok-changes-appointment-system/37692/

The internet is a truly amazing tool which (almost) anyone can use ! smile.png

This found in approx 30 seconds using Google

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

thanks NZ!! I actually found this page a couple of days ago but obviously did not pay it enough attention - thanks thumbsup.gif

Walter just where do you live?

What do you mean 'extend' your stay?

You can only extend it by 30 days, up to 90 days.

Sorry, not being critical I'll really like to give you some helpful advice but more information about your circumstances would help.

I entered on a Non Imm O, got copies of my landlords Tabian Ban and went to the local Police Station who issued me with a Certificate of Residence. (free)

I purchased a Honda Click later that day.

I applied for my Thai Driving Licences the day after.

ID, proof of address and medical certificate for bike purchase and DL's.

Last week I just replaced the temp 1 year licences for the 5 year licences, although I have no more need of repeatedly getting C of R's anymore because next up was getting my own Tabian Ban.

Walter just where do you live?

What do you mean 'extend' your stay?

You can only extend it by 30 days, up to 90 days.

Sorry, not being critical I'll really like to give you some helpful advice but more information about your circumstances would help.

I entered on a Non Imm O, got copies of my landlords Tabian Ban and went to the local Police Station who issued me with a Certificate of Residence. (free)

I purchased a Honda Click later that day.

I applied for my Thai Driving Licences the day after.

ID, proof of address and medical certificate for bike purchase and DL's.

Last week I just replaced the temp 1 year licences for the 5 year licences, although I have no more need of repeatedly getting C of R's anymore because next up was getting my own Tabian Ban.

Im in Pattaya staying in a room in guest house just off 3rd road. I am on a double entry 60 day visa which effectively gives me 6 months with 2 x 30 day extensions, and I may want to extend after that. Im not too keen to stay in this guest house and have a couple of weeks before my circumstances will change and will need to start from scratch again regarding paperwork renewal.

I am just looking at the easiest accessible DLT in BKK as blackbox got his done there, the only thing that bothers me is if I get to one in BKK and they see that my ppwk is from Pattaya, will they tell me to go to Chonburi DLT?

The one I am looking at is Soi Sukhumvit 62/1, Bangjak Prakhanong, Bangkok office for ease of access from Pattaya . . .

If only for one year, just obtain an international drivers licence in the UK. It's good for one year and you can drive in Thailand with it.

No you can not.

First off, IDP is not required in Thailand, secondly, home license (with or without IDP) is valid for 3 months. After that a Thai DL is required. Now police may let you go, but do you want to run the risk of a major accident without a valid DL?

• Like 2

A Tourist Visa is valid for 60 days + 30 day extension available.

A UK licence is legally accepted to drive within Thailand, the problem being with Insurance.

Most Insurance company's will only cover you for 90 days on a UK or IDL.

So why do you want a Thai DL if your on a Tourist Visa.

A UK licence alone is most certainly NOT accepted to drive within Thailand, unless you also have the IDP you get from the post office!

I got off with that for over 10 years but not now. I got tickets in Pattaya and Chiang Mai for not having a Thai licence or IDP and when I went to pay the fine at soi 9, they even had pictures of what was acceptable, up on the wall, and there was a big red X through the picture of the UK licence.

I spent a couple of weeks running around on my motorbike, avoiding the usual police check points in Pattaya, until I went to Chiang Mai, where I got my Thai licences no problem.

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

A UK licence is legally accepted to drive within Thailand, the problem being with Insurance.

A UK licence alone is most certainly NOT accepted to drive within Thailand, unless you also have the IDP you get from the post office!

I got off with that for over 10 years but not now. I got tickets in Pattaya and Chiang Mai for not having a Thai licence or IDP and when I went to pay the fine at soi 9, they even had pictures of what was acceptable, up on the wall, and there was a big red X through the picture of the UK licence.

I spent a couple of weeks running around on my motorbike, avoiding the usual police check points in Pattaya, until I went to Chiang Mai, where I got my Thai licences no problem.

Well anyway, I cannot get an appt at the embassy until June now so I will try my luck at a DLT in BKK and see if they will let me take the exam/test.

When June comes, my CofR will be out of date so I may aswell take a day out in BKK and see what happens . . .

Sorry Rob, but a UK licence is valid in Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic agreement.

A Thai Licence is also valid in the UK under the same agreement.

An IDP is valid for one year in Thailand.

The problem with foreign licences or IDP's is that most Insurance Companies have a clause that makes comprehensive cover invalid if you are still driving on a UK or IDP licence after 3 months...........so basically a foreign licence of any kind becomes useless for the purposes of being fully Insured after 3 months.

Most tourists or visitors will not stay beyond 3 months, so can legally drive fully insured on a UK licence or IDP.

Those who stay longer than 3 months really need to get a Thai DL to avoid any problems with Insurance.

But then again those who intend to stay longer than 3 months should really get a Non Imm Visa to avoid these kind of problems.

Sceptical...read this; http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

On that link you can also download or view the Geneva Convention agreement with lists of the Countries who are parties to it.

@Walter, please read the same link.

Thai DL should not be issued on Tourist Visas, only a Non Imm Visa.

In your situation (a double entry Tourist Visa) the easiest solution to your problem is to rent for 3 months which will include full insurance cover, returning the car and ending the agreement when you leave the Country.

On re-entering the Country hire a car under another new agreement for 3 months which will again include full insurance cover.

One thing I constantly read on Thai Visa is members conflicting views and comments on changes to the laws.

The laws haven't changed, they just weren't enforced throughout many government departments, including Immigration and Transport Centres in the past. They were complacent.

Since the Junta took control, <deleted> are being kicked throughout government departments and the existing laws are being enforced, which many unfortunately fail to see.

So what you got away with last year, doesn't mean you'll get away with it this year.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2

Cheers for that Faz I have read and understand the link you attached.

I will still try my luck in BKK as I have been told a few people have received licenses there on TR visas, I guess if it fails then I am goosed - simple as that.

Or . . am I legible to get an IDP/L?

Sorry Rob, but a UK licence is valid in Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic agreement.

The problem with foreign licences or IDP's is that most Insurance Companies have a clause that makes comprehensive cover invalid if you are still driving on a UK or IDP licence after 3 months...........so basically a foreign licence of any kind becomes useless for the purposes of being fully Insured after 3 months.

Most tourists or visitors will not stay beyond 3 months, so can legally drive fully insured on a UK licence or IDP.

Those who stay longer than 3 months really need to get a Thai DL to avoid any problems with Insurance.

But then again those who intend to stay longer than 3 months should really get a Non Imm Visa to avoid these kind of problems.

Sceptical...read this; http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

On that link you can also download or view the Geneva Convention agreement with lists of the Countries who are parties to it.

In your situation (a double entry Tourist Visa) the easiest solution to your problem is to rent for 3 months which will include full insurance cover, returning the car and ending the agreement when you leave the Country.

On re-entering the Country hire a car under another new agreement for 3 months which will again include full insurance cover.

One thing I constantly read on Thai Visa is members conflicting views and comments on changes to the laws.

The laws haven't changed, they just weren't enforced throughout many government departments, including Immigration and Transport Centres in the past. They were complacent.

Since the Junta took control, <deleted> are being kicked throughout government departments and the existing laws are being enforced, which many unfortunately fail to see.

So what you got away with last year, doesn't mean you'll get away with it this year.

Correct, except for issuance of dl's. Those should be and are issued on tourist Visa and even Visa exemp entries, but 1 year validity only. 5 year only on non immigrant visa and extensions of stay.
  • Like 2

Correct, except for issuance of dl's. Those should be and are issued on tourist Visa and even Visa exemp entries, but 1 year validity only. 5 year only on non immigrant visa and extensions of stay.

Totally agree stevenl. 1 year Thai DL have been issued in the past on Visa Exempts and TR Visas, but only last week at my local Transport Office they told me no more 1 year Thai DL unless you have a Non Imm O Visa by order of the Government.

Also no more 5 year DL unless you are on extensions.

I was applying for the 5 year licence from the 1 year licence. She only wanted a copy of my passport ID page and my extension.

The copy of my entry stamp and original Non Imm on which I entered Thailand weren't required.

As a heads up, they also told me, in the past (Thais included) renewed their licences sometimes after the date of expiry of the old one (forgot).

Now, if you forget to renew your current licence before it's expiry date, you must take the full Thai Driving Test to be issued another licence.

New Rules? "No, old rules but now must do" they said.

Walter, the thing with Thailand is that no two government offices follow the same rule.

That's why expats experiences will often be different. Mainly it's down to poor training and inexperience of the frontline staff we have to deal with.

There are the rules that should be used............the rules that are actually used............and the rules that the officer thinks are the rules.

By all means try, but I wouldn't waste to much time, or hold your breath.

What's up with the idea of two separate rental agreements so your covered by Insurance.

Walter, the thing with Thailand is that no two government offices follow the same rule.

That's why expats experiences will often be different. Mainly it's down to poor training and inexperience of the frontline staff we have to deal with.

There are the rules that should be used............the rules that are actually used............and the rules that the officer thinks are the rules.

By all means try, but I wouldn't waste to much time, or hold your breath.

What's up with the idea of two separate rental agreements so your covered by Insurance.

yeah it just seems like they are all clamping down but I will give BKK a try while all my documents are valid but like you say I wont hold my breath. I will just treat it as a day out and see what happens . . .

But, if I have to go down the route of paying the embassy in June and renewing my C of R, will that mean I will get 1 that way?

The reason I dont want to rent is that I have a mate here and I can use his car, and I really dont have the funds to rent for such a long time. My mate says his insurance covers me if I have a Thai license but if I have a bad bump on my UK license, It will only end in tears

They insure the vehicle here, not the person driving, but obviously to be covered you have to have a valid licence.

My first recourse would be to ask your mates Insurers if they will accept you driving on a UK licence.

Have you tried that?

Are you looking for an International Driving License? In most countries they are delivered by an automobile club. Strangely in Thailand they are delivered by the same agency that issues the regular driver license.

Type <http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/> and you will find that there is an automobile club that delivers IDL's. You can do it all by email and money transfer.

This is not a legit international drivers license issued by any authorised agency. This is a copy document issued by a private entity and it's not actually worth the paper it's written on.

In Thailand IDL's are issued by the Department of Land Transport only to holders of 5 year or lifetime Thai driving licenses. They will not issue an IDL for a 1 year license. The cost is 505b and like all IDL's they are valid for 1 year.

This website says, "We have two different licenses available: A 10-year license for 5,500 baht and a 20-year license for 6,500 baht."

• Like 1

Are you looking for an International Driving License? In most countries they are delivered by an automobile club. Strangely in Thailand they are delivered by the same agency that issues the regular driver license.

Type <http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/> and you will find that there is an automobile club that delivers IDL's. You can do it all by email and money transfer.

This is not a legit international drivers license issued by any authorised agency. This is a copy document issued by a private entity and it's not actually worth the paper it's written on.

In Thailand IDL's are issued by the Department of Land Transport only to holders of 5 year or lifetime Thai driving licenses. They will not issue an IDL for a 1 year license. The cost is 505b and like all IDL's they are valid for 1 year.

This website says, "We have two different licenses available: A 10-year license for 5,500 baht and a 20-year license for 6,500 baht."

LOS = Land of Scams.

So basically I have no chance?

Great

No, you'll be OK, the lady was mistaken.

To confirm: I checked at the DLT this morning.

On ED visa or tourisdt visa: temporary license, which apparently is now 2 years in stead of 1 year; on non-immigrant visa or extension 5 year license.

Let the license lapse: within 1 year no problem, can be renewed, within 3 years: theory test required, after 3 years: theory and practical test required.

So basically I have no chance?

Great

No, you'll be OK, the lady was mistaken.

To confirm: I checked at the DLT this morning.

On ED visa or tourisdt visa: temporary license, which apparently is now 2 years in stead of 1 year; on non-immigrant visa or extension 5 year license.

Let the license lapse: within 1 year no problem, can be renewed, within 3 years: theory test required, after 3 years: theory and practical test required.

Hi stevenl

Which DLT did you visit? I had a reply from the embassy this morning stating that the fee would be 1560 bht for my license verification, only problem is they have no appts til June and from previous posts, Im hoping there is a DLT that isnt asking for the verification like CMRob said he didnt need up in CM

Phuket.

But if verification is an issue, just go there and do the tests, really not difficult.

My main issue is having to go to the embassy in BKK and paying for something that could be a total waste of time and money. Plus, having to go to the embassy will mean that my Cof R will expire (as no appts til June) so I would need to go through the hassle of getting that again. Posters have said on here that they have been given their licenses without having to do what I am being asked to do.

Not worried about the tests, just pi$$ed off that Im getting the preverbial runaround. Im going to BKK tomorrow I think so will just apply for my license there. If they tell me the same thing as Chonburi then I guess it will be a trip to the embassy in June and the whole rigmorol of starting from scratch

Cheers for your help everyone

Phuket.

But if verification is an issue, just go there and do the tests, really not difficult.

My main issue is having to go to the embassy in BKK and paying for something that could be a total waste of time and money. Plus, having to go to the embassy will mean that my Cof R will expire (as no appts til June) so I would need to go through the hassle of getting that again. Posters have said on here that they have been given their licenses without having to do what I am being asked to do.

Not worried about the tests, just pi$$ed off that Im getting the preverbial runaround. Im going to BKK tomorrow I think so will just apply for my license there. If they tell me the same thing as Chonburi then I guess it will be a trip to the embassy in June and the whole rigmorol of starting from scratch

Cheers for your help everyone

I believe that if you apply in Bangkok you will need proof of residence for Bangkok.