Thai PM orders crackdowns on drunk driving

Thaivisa News

chiang-mai-rta.png

Bangkok:- Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered the Royal Thai Police to regularly set up road checkpoints to crack down on drunk driving following a tragic accident in Chiang Mai.

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Monday that Prayut ordered police to set up road checkpoints regularly to check blood alcohol level of motorists.

The order was given after a university student, who was drunk, crashed her car into a group of five cyclists on a road in Chiang Mai’s Doi Saket district Sunday morning.

Sansern said Prayut wanted police to take drastic actions against drunk drivers without leniency.

Three cyclists were killed and two others injured. The accident became a hot issue among online social networkers who condemned the drunk driver. Others expressed concern that highways might not be safe for cyclists t ride anymore.

Sansern said Prayut also extended his condolences to the families of the killed cyclists.

Prayut, who admits that he likes to ride a bicycle and who has told local administrations nationwide to build bike lanes, said motorists should have heart for cyclists.

During the road accident monitoring periods for long New Year and Songkran holidays, drunk driving was always the biggest cause of the fatal accidents.

In a latest accident caused by drunk driving, an Army conscript was killed along with his wife and a two-year-old boy when his pick-up truck crashed into a roadside power pole in Chon Buri’s Bang Lamung district at 8 pm Sunday.

His friend told police that the Army private, Prommin Prommuakwa 22, had drank at his house and was driving to drink at the friend’s place.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knee jerk ? closing the gate after the horse has bolted ? too little, too late ? a day late, a dollar short? that ship has sailed ? a bit late in the day ? better late than never ? late bloomer ? a bit late in the day ?

Just pick one and apply it to this BS order. Ordinary people killed daily but if any of his compatriots are in the car then it's of vital importance. bah.gif

Drastic Action Without Leniency ?

Will that include those who pay an on the spot fine, the ' do you know who I am ? / you should know who I am ' protected individuals etc.

A PM telling the BIB to conduct more breath tests, does the Farce not have a national chief or is he too busy with the stock market ?

if they are serious they would put patrol cars on the roads to catch them breaking the law but it will never happen. Maybe even a law that stops anyone from supplying any alcohol to anyone under the influence would also help, make it illegal to serve those that are drunk. They need to come down on them hard, all they do now is slap them on the wrist, maximum jail sentences for anyone causing an accident due to their drinking, large fines and seizing their cars would also be a great start

Interesting that the police need to be ordered to follow a specific law. A

few years ago it was motorcycle helmets crazy, now drunk driving ...

Why not do your job in the first place and enforce ALL laws ???

And speaking of which, shouldn't the police follow the law as well ???

luudee

Double the amount of useless police checpoints.....increase the cost of booze multiple satang. Fine business owners who have photos beer or wine on there menus. Dont let it be sold for many hours per day.

yeah......crackdown.

How about insuring drivers not vehicles

Will that include those who pay an on the spot fine, the ' do you know who I am ? / you should know who I am ' protected individuals etc.

A PM telling the BIB to conduct more breath tests, does the Farce not have a national chief or is he too busy with the stock market ?

Way too busy counting his baht

Way too busy counting his baht

I was at a stop light last night with a cop on a scooter right next to me. Across from us was an exit from a temple who was holding a fair. I'd hate to count how many scooters came out going the wrong way down the road (Sukhumvit), driving down the sidewalk, riding without helmets, etc. The cop did nothing.

if they are serious they would put patrol cars on the roads to catch them breaking the law but it will never happen. Maybe even a law that stops anyone from supplying any alcohol to anyone under the influence would also help, make it illegal to serve those that are drunk. They need to come down on them hard, all they do now is slap them on the wrist, maximum jail sentences for anyone causing an accident due to their drinking, large fines and seizing their cars would also be a great start

There are enough laws in Thailand. It's just the fact none of them are enforced.

Here is the English version of the Thai traffic laws. Some mind boogling stuff in this document.

Thaidriving.pdfThaidriving.pdf

Edited by bruceybonus

Here's a novel idea...just ENFORCE the law !!! Any 'crackdown' suggests corruption and letting drunks get away with it are rampant. There should be no need for any crackdown !! It's like Bart Simpson repeatedly touching a heater and keeps on getting on burned....never learns...

As he above said.

There are numerous laws in Thailand covering all aspects of illegal behaviour.

Whether it be road laws or general laws.

If ALL these laws were enforced, including the "Don't you know who I am" lot

we wouldn't need so many crackdowns.

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

And the PM comes to this conclusion after more then 300 deaths over Songkran this year , and how many more before that ?

Seems someone woke up early today ....

And how many PMs before this one simply ignored it or simply paid lip service?

The problem is not this PM, it is just the lack of enforcing the laws by the police going back decades.

It is an RTP problem.

I drive and drink, but never drink and drive.

This was taught to me from day one I started driving.

In the UK, you will have the book thrown at you. Also most countries I suppose.

To go out for a few or more drinks in the UK, you either use public transport, more likely a booked taxi, or bloody well walk home or wherever.

In Bangkok there are more taxis than private cars late at night and yes there are the no meter guys in certain areas, but even they can be avoided unless you are so pissed, that you deserve to pay extra not to kill innocent others.

Edited by buhi

They should start by prosecuting this case...

She'll bring flowers and ask for forgiveness...

If wealthy be some pay offs and she'll get a pronationary sentence and required to 20 hours of community work which she will appeal...

She was a good girl being a CMU student...she won't serve one day in prison...

I drive and drink, but never drink and drive.

This was taught to me from day one I started driving.

In the UK, you will have the book thrown at you. Also most countries I suppose.

To go out for a few or more drinks in the UK, you either use public transport, more likely a booked taxi, or bloody well walk home or wherever.

In Bangkok there are more taxis than private cars late at night and yes there are the no meter guys in certain areas, but even they can be avoided unless you are so pissed, that you deserve to pay extra not to kill innocent others.

Even years ago, being over 0.05 was automatic loss of licence in Qld, Australia. I'm sure that hasn't changed. Mind you, getting a licence in the West is a big deal. Here, not so...they drive without it anyway. And a small fine? Slap on the wrist? No wonder nothing changes here. Think my next vehicle is gonna be a huge SUV. I may stand a better chance against drunks in their pickups.