Moving from Chiang Mai to Koh Pang Ngan. How to move furniture/stuff ?

marcusmarsh

So after 10 years in CM I am considering a move down South.

Just trying to work a few things out.

Whether to sell all my stuff and start afresh once down there or, as Id prefer, take all my stuff down there.

This includes a motorbike and a washing machine amongst other things so I reckon Id need a 7.5 tonne truck (even though my stuff wont come close to filling one) that comes with a driver.

Obviously for hire of truck, driver and petrol costs I imagine this comes to a nice few quid.

.....................................................................................................................................................

If anyone has any information on what price I might expect to pay, so I can work out if its worth it or not, that would be great ?

A number or name of company that someone knows in CM that does these removals so I can get a quote ?

....................................................................................................................................................

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marcus

Most people will make arrangements with a truck/driver on a private basis rather than using any company (which are normally designed for expats at expat prices/employer paying the bill) - although this is in general and is not about firm mentioned above as have no knowledge of them at all). Normally word of mouth or contact on street - expect there are specific streets where they park with rental signs when not engaged.

I have heard great things about CM Removals also. I will be contacting them myself soon for a move. Your move is somewhat complicated by the ferry involved. I hope that you post a summary of your experience and findings when the move is underway and when completed!

it's not complicated at all. Thais do it all the time. you don't need a moving company for ex-pats. start by contacting Nim See Seng. do you speak Thai? just do a google search.

Agreed, not complicated at all. We often send several large boxes to/from Hat Yai - sometimes each the size of one of those small small fridges. Not expensive at all. 7.5 tonne truck? You sure about that? That is A LOT of stuff. According to one trucking company - 7.5 tonne truck = 33.9 cubic meters or 33 pallets! That is a warehouse of stuff - much more than a 5 bedroom home.Y ou mention a m/c and a washing machine as the larger objects. How many boxes do you have???

I think you are off on your estimate of what you need.

Yes, by all means try Nim See Seng but there are many others. If you are not in a hurry then it is even cheaper.

Train will get it to Hat Yai. Post Office would get most, motor cycle and boxes for sure, of it to Phag Ngan. Pick up truck would get it to the boat as would Nim See Seng who might get it to your new door.

Train will get it to Hat Yai. Post Office would get most, motor cycle and boxes for sure, of it to Phag Ngan. Pick up truck would get it to the boat as would Nim See Seng who might get it to your new door.

Yes of course. I forgot about Logispost. They will take the m/c, washing machine, etc. and it's very cheap. You need to go to the Kamthieng Post Office as they have the largest LogisPost department. (But remember you will have to get everything over to Kamthieng Post yourself by a local mover).

Still believe most Thai would just hire a truck/driver and make the trip with them - one time - one price - all secured with driver taking care of everything required. Pack and mail if you do not have enough for a pickup truck maybe - but for more believe a private trip would be both cost effective and a lot less stress.

I am sure you have done the maths but it always seems to me that secondhand stuff makes very good prices.

Maybe an opportunity to upgrade some of your big stuff and save some hassle....?

In the end...

I decided to down size a wee bit. I contacted chiangmairemovals.com and so far the service has been very good. The guy got back to me immediately by email so I rang them and liked the price he quoted me for a pick up truck driven by himself door to door. It does mean I will have to follow on my motorbike (500cc) which will be a LONG ride I know as otherwise the bike would take up too much space. Then Id need a bigger truck and the price creeps up.

The price quoted by them is one im happy with and has relieved a little stress that I was starting to feel about the move in general, house rent I will be paying on the island is 8,500 baht per month more expensive than current CM house for a starter. That and deposit ive put down plus other bits and pieces is all adding up so was concerned about haulage charges.

I have a couple of cats too and he,s prepared to take them in the cab of his truck. He even said he will leave early AM and try and do the journey in one day getting them on the last ferry which is at 6pm but will have to see how tired he gets when driving (totally understandable). This would mean leaving CM in the dead of the night so not sure if we will make it. Though ideally Id like to get cats there in one day but have my doubts we will make that.... Very friendly and helpful service so far from chiangmairemovals.com will give a final report of how it all pans out once done.

Once again I really do appreciate everyone,s posts. I was kinda dreading this move and what I thought would be all the hassle / expense attached to it. But feeling much better about it now smile.png

Edited by marcusmarsh

Thank you for the update. I myself am looking at a move from CM to a southern destination so I have more than just a passing interest in your experience, I am concerned that you guys are entertaining the idea of driving from here to there in one day, esp you on a bike. My first thought was "no <deleted>' way!" Maybe I am wrong but I see you spending one night in Hua Hin or environs.

Thank you for the update. I myself am looking at a move from CM to a southern destination so I have more than just a passing interest in your experience, I am concerned that you guys are entertaining the idea of driving from here to there in one day, esp you on a bike. My first thought was "no <deleted>' way!" Maybe I am wrong but I see you spending one night in Hua Hin or environs.

Ditto for me in the future. Thanks for the update and it would be great if you could post how things go - and lessons learned - what to do and what not to do. Hope the move goes smoothly - good luck.

• 2 months later...

So just to report how things went...

I am now safely in KP and happily settling in smile.png

In the end I plumped for using Chiang Mai removals to make the move from Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan.

VERY happy with the package they offered. Because of my cat I wanted to get the last ferry from mainland which leaves at 6pm which actually meant leaving at 10.30pm the previous night and they were happy to do this for me. I was delighted with the price and service, nowt seemed too much bother for them which immediately put me at ease.

Because of the cat making the journey I wanted to be in the truck with her as she is easily unsettled (she cried for 10 hours straight ! Until I let her out and lay her down by my feet in the truck). So the bonus was I saved a few bob on airfare - not that I,ll ever drive that journey again thank you very much !

For those interested, door to door was 22 and half hours (10.30pm - 9pm). Sounds gruelling and it had its moments but all in all it went much easier than I expected.

I, or they, got it all on a pick up truck, including my 500cc motorbike. Didnt get my fridge on but the place I rented has nigh on the same fridge anyhow so that turned out fine. Originally when I saw all my stuff in the house in CM I thought there was no chance of getting anywhere close to most of it on a pick up truck, particularly what with the big bike, but sure enough those truck loaders found more and more spots to store stuff. I genuinely found the loading part interesting, seeing my lifetime belongings before me.

Anyways, great move and recommend Chiang Mai Removals highly.

To the question BB24 asked

'what to do and what not to do - lessons learned ?'

They pretty much have everything covered. They wrapped everything that needs wrapping, had boxes for everything and so I cant think of anything. I guess best to be there, obviously, when they are loading. They did take care of everything and I was happy with the way they were loading things up in a careful manner. I did have to specify I wanted a ramp for the motorbike as they were about to load it up without. One was then delivered and ramp was used.

To all that posted in this thread - I thank you kindly.

Marcus

chiangmairemovals dot com

Étonnamment excellent.

When I came from Pattaya to Chiang Mai I requested a quote to that company following the information found here.
Answer 45000b
So I spoke to an independent driver with his truck and it cost me 15000b + 2 restaurant meals and overnight stay.
Perfect work.
Cheers