The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

14 October 2007

Go On.. Pinch Yourselves

Scots Take Giant Step Closer To The Euro Finals After Even More Heroics

Mark Guidi At Hampden

SCOTLAND 3

UKRAINE 1

JAMES McFADDEN devoured a roll and sausage and a cuppa for breakfast to celebrate THAT goal against France - yesterday Ukraine were meat and drink to him as he ran riot again.

Faddy's skill was a joy to behold and he grabbed a richly deserved strike to take Scotland another step closer to Euro 2008.

McFadden's killer third eased the nerves after Ukraine threatened to battle back from an early pounding.

Kenny Miller and Lee McCulloch had the Scots two up inside 10 minutes but Andriy Shevchenko pulled one back before the break. That led to a few nervous moments before McFadden's superb goal made the game safe in 68 minutes.

Alex McLeish and his players are now on the verge of a historic achievement and look far too good and confident to blow it in the last two games.

Hampden has rocked a couple of times in recent years after good results but it was rockin' and rollin' before kick-off as the feelgood factor from that great result in Paris continued.

There was, however, still the fear that all the good work from our win in France would go to waste.

But that was blown away early doors as Scotland stormed ahead.

Andriy Nesmachny was booked after three minutes for a foul on Scott Brown on the right wing.

McFadden's near-post delivery was vicious and Miller nipped in ahead of his marker Oleksandr Kucher to send a header past keeper Oleksandr Shovkovskiy from five yards.

Brilliant. But it got even better for Eck's troops after 10 minutes.

Dmitro Chigrinskiy fouled Miller 30 yards out giving Barry Ferguson the chance to deliver a set-piece.

Several Scotland players ran towards the front post, creating plenty of space for McCulloch at the other side. The Rangers midfielder killed the ball sweetly then swerved a stunning right-foot shot high into the keeper's top left-hand corner.

The planning and effort on the training ground for this set-piece had paid off in the best possible way.

Ukraine were stunned but gradually got to grips with the game and probed away.

A team with their quality will always create chances and Shevchenko was never too far from the action.

The Chelsea striker was booked for hauling back Scott Brown in a moment of frustration. But he then showed his class and opportunism in front of goal by pulling a goal back in 24 minutes.

Scotland struggled to clear their lines and the ball ended up on the left wing with Nesmachny. He whipped in a cross and a deflection off Stephen McManus' shoulder deceived Gary Naysmith.

The ball bounced from the Sheffield United defender's chest and fell for Shevchenko who bulleted high past Craig Gordon from seven yards.

Volodymyr Yezersky then missed a great chance when the Scots defence played him onside at a high up and under. The defender only had Gordon to beat but panicked and shot wide from eight yards.

Scotland should have been awarded a penalty in 34 minutes when Alan Hutton was brought down by Andriy Vorobei but Dutch ref Pieter Vink waved play on.

Ukraine also had a big appeal turned down when Naysmith took Shevchenko out of the play with a late tackle. And there was uproar on the stroke of half-time when McFadden went down under a challenge from Anatoliy Tymoschuk.

Scotland's players screamed for a penalty but Vink turned down their appeals again.

McCulloch and Ferguson were booked for dissent and the former is now suspended for the Georgia game.

Sub Garry O'Connor was also yellow carded for a stupid late tackle and is out of the midweek game. Unlike McCulloch, he won't be missed.

Ukraine pushed for a leveller after the break and Andriy Voronin had Gordon troubled with two shots.

At this point Scotland were off the pace and camped inside their own box. So McLeish tried to change things on the hour by taking off McCulloch and bringing on Christian Dailly.

It looked like being a nail-biter and I had visions of the nightmare 2002 World Cup qualifier with Belgium who came from two down at Hampden to deliver a huge blow to our qualification hopes.

But this team has Faddy. And the Everton striker made it 3-1 with a fierce low strike from Hutton's great pass.

A fantastic goal but Ukraine would have expected Shovkovskiy to save the strike.

Faddy was subbed late on and walked off the pitch to blow a kiss to his mum.

The fans gave him a standing ovation but he was one of many heroes.

Hutton, Ferguson and McManus also turned in top displays as Scotland took a huge step towards the finals.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 October 2007

Go On.. Pinch Yourselves

Scots Take Giant Step Closer To The Euro Finals After Even More Heroics

Mark Guidi At Hampden

SCOTLAND 3

UKRAINE 1

JAMES McFADDEN devoured a roll and sausage and a cuppa for breakfast to celebrate THAT goal against France - yesterday Ukraine were meat and drink to him as he ran riot again.

Faddy's skill was a joy to behold and he grabbed a richly deserved strike to take Scotland another step closer to Euro 2008.

McFadden's killer third eased the nerves after Ukraine threatened to battle back from an early pounding.

Kenny Miller and Lee McCulloch had the Scots two up inside 10 minutes but Andriy Shevchenko pulled one back before the break. That led to a few nervous moments before McFadden's superb goal made the game safe in 68 minutes.

Alex McLeish and his players are now on the verge of a historic achievement and look far too good and confident to blow it in the last two games.

Hampden has rocked a couple of times in recent years after good results but it was rockin' and rollin' before kick-off as the feelgood factor from that great result in Paris continued.

There was, however, still the fear that all the good work from our win in France would go to waste.

But that was blown away early doors as Scotland stormed ahead.

Andriy Nesmachny was booked after three minutes for a foul on Scott Brown on the right wing.

McFadden's near-post delivery was vicious and Miller nipped in ahead of his marker Oleksandr Kucher to send a header past keeper Oleksandr Shovkovskiy from five yards.

Brilliant. But it got even better for Eck's troops after 10 minutes.

Dmitro Chigrinskiy fouled Miller 30 yards out giving Barry Ferguson the chance to deliver a set-piece.

Several Scotland players ran towards the front post, creating plenty of space for McCulloch at the other side. The Rangers midfielder killed the ball sweetly then swerved a stunning right-foot shot high into the keeper's top left-hand corner.

The planning and effort on the training ground for this set-piece had paid off in the best possible way.

Ukraine were stunned but gradually got to grips with the game and probed away.

A team with their quality will always create chances and Shevchenko was never too far from the action.

The Chelsea striker was booked for hauling back Scott Brown in a moment of frustration. But he then showed his class and opportunism in front of goal by pulling a goal back in 24 minutes.

Scotland struggled to clear their lines and the ball ended up on the left wing with Nesmachny. He whipped in a cross and a deflection off Stephen McManus' shoulder deceived Gary Naysmith.

The ball bounced from the Sheffield United defender's chest and fell for Shevchenko who bulleted high past Craig Gordon from seven yards.

Volodymyr Yezersky then missed a great chance when the Scots defence played him onside at a high up and under. The defender only had Gordon to beat but panicked and shot wide from eight yards.

Scotland should have been awarded a penalty in 34 minutes when Alan Hutton was brought down by Andriy Vorobei but Dutch ref Pieter Vink waved play on.

Ukraine also had a big appeal turned down when Naysmith took Shevchenko out of the play with a late tackle. And there was uproar on the stroke of half-time when McFadden went down under a challenge from Anatoliy Tymoschuk.

Scotland's players screamed for a penalty but Vink turned down their appeals again.

McCulloch and Ferguson were booked for dissent and the former is now suspended for the Georgia game.

Sub Garry O'Connor was also yellow carded for a stupid late tackle and is out of the midweek game. Unlike McCulloch, he won't be missed.

Ukraine pushed for a leveller after the break and Andriy Voronin had Gordon troubled with two shots.

At this point Scotland were off the pace and camped inside their own box. So McLeish tried to change things on the hour by taking off McCulloch and bringing on Christian Dailly.

It looked like being a nail-biter and I had visions of the nightmare 2002 World Cup qualifier with Belgium who came from two down at Hampden to deliver a huge blow to our qualification hopes.

But this team has Faddy. And the Everton striker made it 3-1 with a fierce low strike from Hutton's great pass.

A fantastic goal but Ukraine would have expected Shovkovskiy to save the strike.

Faddy was subbed late on and walked off the pitch to blow a kiss to his mum.

The fans gave him a standing ovation but he was one of many heroes.

Hutton, Ferguson and McManus also turned in top displays as Scotland took a huge step towards the finals.

well done to the scots ,hopefully they can qualify and i can cheer them on as well as england :o

I didn't have the chance to watch the game and I had to make do with listening to the game on the internet with Radio Clyde. That's the first time I've listened to a live commentary for years. It's even more nerve wracking because you can't see what's going on.

Anyway, we got the right result and it sounds that players like Alan Hutton and Scott Brown are coming of age. Also if James McFadden keeps on scoring he could well become the new Kenny Dalglish?? :D

correct. I'm impressed with hutton - even if he is a 'ger :D . I heard gary mcallister comparing him to cafu :o .

I wouldn't go that far yet but he looks a decent prospect.

scott brown snarls about like gattuso. doesn't give the opposition a moment's peace.

tbh we have a pretty strong team now. we got the result yesterday without fletcher & hartley and could afford to keep kris boyd (who scores goals for fun) on the bench.

and all this progress with a young squad (with the exception of weir, dailly and alexander).

Injury News

brown and hutton join hartley, caldwell, mcgregor etc in the treatment room. o'connor and mcculloch are suspended for georgia game.

fletcher recalled.

that's a few first-choice players out now.

for georgia, i'd go for:

gordon

alexander mcmanus weir naysmith

dailly

fletcher ferguson

miller mcfadden

boyd

bit of a mike bassett formation but that would be my team.

Injury News

brown and hutton join hartley, caldwell, mcgregor etc in the treatment room. o'connor and mcculloch are suspended for georgia game.

fletcher recalled.

for georgia, i'd go for:

gordon

dailly

fletcher ferguson

miller mcfadden

boyd

It would certainly fit on the back of fag packet :o

Injury News

fletcher recalled.

for georgia, i'd go for:

gordon

dailly

fletcher ferguson

miller mcfadden

boyd

:D

I had the formation set out as a flat back four, dailly just in front of the defence, fletcher and ferguson in central midfield, miller and mcfadden playing wide between midfield and attack and boyd centre forward.

it doesn't come out properly when I post it. looks a bit lopsided.

Injury News

fletcher recalled.

for georgia, i'd go for:

gordon

dailly

fletcher ferguson

miller mcfadden

boyd

:D

I had the formation set out as a flat back four, dailly just in front of the defence, fletcher and ferguson in central midfield, miller and mcfadden playing wide between midfield and attack and boyd centre forward.

it doesn't come out properly when I post it. looks a bit lopsided.

:D - The fag packet was in quote of good old Mike Basset :D

I have been trying to find the sequal to the original Mike Basset film, anyone seen it? As I can't seem to find a copy here. :D

Injury News

fletcher recalled.

for georgia, i'd go for:

gordon

dailly

fletcher ferguson

miller mcfadden

boyd

Even with all the injuries and suspensions, it looks like we can still field a decent first 11. I suppose that's our advantage of having a squad of 20 honest pros and not having any big time superstars.

I think game4shame's starting 11 prediction could be a good call. The only player that I could see not starting would be Boyd. I'd expect Pearson or Maloney to be given the nod with Miller playing the lone striker role.

Only 4 more points needed to qualify. Let's hope we can get 3 against Georgia and at least a point against the Italians. :o

Scots goalkeeper Gordon ignores Grosso's jibes

Scotland goalkeeper Craig Gordon insists Italian jibes will have no effect on Alex McLeish's squad ahead of tomorrow's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier with Georgia.

The Scots need four points from their remaining two matches to guarantee a place at next summer's finals.

The second of those games is next month against the Italians, whose World Cup final hero Fabio Grosso has cast doubt on whether the Scots can handle the pressure.

But Gordon said: 'That kind of stuff is par for the course - it's always going to happen.

'It makes no difference who said what. Of course there is always going to be pressure at this stage of the campaign but it is the kind you want to be involved in.

'We are relishing it and we are happy to see other teams resorting to those kind of tactics.'

Gordon, the Sunderland goalkeeper, added: 'I know that we have the character for these very difficult games and that we have no reason to fear the last two qualifiers.'

Scotland will be without Scott Brown and Alan Hutton due to injury tomorrow, while Lee McCulloch and Garry O'Connor are suspended, forcing manager McLeish into a reshuffle.

Manchester United's Darren Fletcher should come into midfield after injury, with Graham Alexander and Gary Teale both potential starters.

if we beat georgia and france fail to win against lithuania, we're through. :o

Injury News

fletcher recalled.

for georgia, i'd go for:

gordon

dailly

fletcher ferguson

miller mcfadden

boyd

I think game4shame's starting 11 prediction could be a good call. The only player that I could see not starting would be Boyd. I'd expect Pearson or Maloney to be given the nod with Miller playing the lone striker role.

yeah, it depends what eck goes for I suppose. the formation I chose is pretty attacking and similar to the faroes match at celtic park - which we won 6-0.

my formation could be a 4-5-1 when we're defending, quickly moving to a 4-3-3 going forward. I included boyd partly through injuries and partly because he is the most natural striker in the team. fresh after staying on the bench on saturday too. miller and faddy could cut in from the flanks.

Even with all the injuries and suspensions, it looks like we can still field a decent first 11. I suppose that's our advantage of having a squad of 20 honest pros and not having any big time superstars.

a squad of 20 honest pros - as opposed to a go-go joint.

(apologies for horrendous gag)

spit - think you could be right.

some of todays papers suggesting following line-up:

gordon

alexander

mcmanus

weir

naysmith

dailly

fletcher

ferguson

pearson

mcfadden

miller

as I said, I would've had boyd for pearson and play 4-5-1 > 4-3-3.

not a huge fan of pearson but he did play well in paris. let's just trust eck and see what happens. his tactics have seen us good so far.

Was at the game last night and an utter disgrace, from heroes to zeroes.

Totally outplayed, midfield posted missing for entire match

agreed. fletcher & maloney had 'mares. pearson is average at best anyway.

ferguson looked as if he was trying but struggled without hartley, brown, mcculloch etc.

the whole game was a disaster - can't really think of any scotland player that played well. even with the injuries I think eck could have put out a better side with better tactics ie my line-up. :D:o

hopefully that's our nightmare game out of the way and we go on to bin italy at hampden.

Was at the game last night and an utter disgrace, from heroes to zeroes.

Totally outplayed, midfield posted missing for entire match

No need to get down about it. Doing it in this group is an achievement in it's self unlike our pillocks who think they onlt needed to turn up to win :o

Archived