The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

Exclusive: No reason to fear Holland, says Scotland scout Alex Smith

Sep 12 2008 By Neil Cameron

SCOTLAND spy Alex Smith last night gave Scotland a World Cup boost when he revealed that Holland were lucky to win in Macedonia and can be beaten in this qualifying campaign.

The former Aberdeen and Dundee United manager was George Burley's scout in Skopje on Wednesday night and he saw the Dutch struggle to win 2-1 and shoot to the top of Group 9 after just one game.

Scotland face Bert van Marwijk's side in Holland next March and face them again in the final match of qualifying at Hampden, with five other ties to be played before then.

Burley needs his side to beat the Oranje at least once to achieve the magical figure of 17 points.

That is the total the manager feels is needed to secure at least second spot in the table and a probable play-off place for the finals in South Africa in 2010.

Holland are hot favourites to finish top of the group but former Scotland Under-21 boss Smith insisted their muchvaunted side are a long way from being brilliant.

He said: "I am convinced we can beat them at Hampden if we play to our full potential and are given a few breaks.

"We have the ability in our strikeforce to expose their failings at the back. I came away from Wednesday's game in Macedonia feeling confident that we could beat the Dutch.

"We've got to think about Norway first, of course. The Holland game over there is a bit away yet but I believe we can take a share of the spoils from the games against them.

"There were a lot of strengths to their game but they showed weaknesses as well. They were fortunate to grind out a 2-1 win.

"Macedonia had a goal chalked off during the first half when it was 0-0 and it looked like a borderline decision to me.

"If that effort had been given I'd have strongly fancied the Macedonians to take at least a point.

"Holland's first proper effort came early on and was well saved. Their second real attempt came after half-time and that led to their first goal which tells you something.

"They have good players who can pass the ball really well. But they have problems in defence."

that was better. more urgency about us & maloney especially looked very sharp.

<deleted> was mcmanus playing at though? we were totally cruising before he handled.

Congratulation to scotland on real good win, think maybe could beat Thailand some day. Kit look good too.

I prefer watch real team mean England, but amateur Scot ok. jing jing, na.

you are so sharp. I'm actually doubled up with laughter.

nice grammar too.

:o:D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Fletcher to lead Scots by example

October 10, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Darren Fletcher has promised to lead by example when he skippers Scotland in Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Norway.

The Manchester United midfielder will wear the armband at Hampden Park in the absence of the injured Barry Ferguson and suspended Stephen McManus.

Fletcher, 24, has led Scotland on three previous occasions, helping them to victory each time.

He said: "The captain is the leader of the team, but we have a lot of leaders in the dressing room.

"There will be a lot of voices on the pitch but I will try my best and I will try to lead by example."

Fletcher, who will earn his 40th cap tomorrow, will draw inspiration from both his United and Scotland team-mates.

"There are obviously a number of experienced players at the club, as well as internationally," he said.

"Especially at the club, you learn different things from different characters.

"But I will be my own man."

Scotland must win Saturday's Group Nine clash to get their qualification bid firmly back on track after a win and a defeat so far.

Fletcher said: "They are all massive games, they are all must-win games because you want to win every game you play in."

Manager George Burley must decide whether to start with James McFadden as a lone striker or play partner him with one of the other forwards in the squad.

Burley refused to confirm whether the uncapped Chris Iwelumo was in the frame to start, saying only: "We've got 22 players. They all trained today and they all have a part to play because it is very much a squad game.

"You need alternatives, you need combinations and I feel that we have that for this game."

Norway's Riise looking forward to Hampden roar

October 10, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

John Arne Riise believes Norway will have to be at the top of their game to have any hope of taking maximum points from Scotland.

George Burley's men head into the World Cup qualifier hoping to claim another three points after bouncing back from defeat in their opening match in Macedonia with a win in Iceland.

As the home nation, the Scots will be favourites but Riise insists the clash at Hampden is one the Vikings are relishing.

"The atmosphere is going to be unbelievable," he said.

"I've told a few of the boys that we have to come here and enjoy it because there aren't many times in your career you can play in front of these kind of fans.

"But we know it's going to be difficult. Scotland are a very good team at home and we know we will have to be at our best to get a result."

Riise was part of the Norway side who earned a win against Scotland at the same venue four years ago but insists past triumphs will count for nothing come Saturday.

"What I remember from 2004 was the fantastic atmosphere and that it was great to get the three points," he added.

"But this is a different game and we know that. Scotland are strong and we are strong so I hope that both teams play a good game and get the crowd behind their teams."

Riise does not believe the outcome of this game will necessarily have a major bearing on either nation's qualification hopes, despite Norway and Scotland being tipped as the main contenders for the coveted runners-up spot, with Holland expected to win the group.

He said: "It's an important game for both teams and whoever wins this game is going to have the advantage for second place. But I think there is still everything to play for in this group."

Those views were echoed by Morten Gamst Pedersen but the Blackburn man is determined to defy the odds with an away win ahead of their midweek clash with the Dutch.

"You always have a better chance of qualifying if you are winning and you get three points," he said.

"But never say never. You just have to see what the table looks like at the end. We're not here to lose, we will work hard.

"Scotland are big favourites, they are at home and they have 55,000 people supporting them.

"They did well in the last qualifying campaign against big nations like France and Italy so they will be favourites. But we will be ready for the game.

"It's not always about one player. They work hard as a team. (James) McFadden is a great player and maybe (Darren) Fletcher will do well but you never know.

"If you work hard and play well as a team you have a better chance to win.

UEFA: Scotland can only joint-host a major finals

October 11, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

UEFA general secretary David Taylor has told his native Scotland they could still host an expanded European Championships - but only as part of a joint bid.

The former Scottish Football Association chief executive believes last month's decision to increase the number of finalists from 16 to 24 in 2016 was in the country's best interests, as it gives them an improved chance of qualifying.

But the move - which was also lobbied for by current SFA chief Gordon Smith - effectively ended Scotland's dream of staging the showpiece event on their own due to a lack of facilities.

Taylor, who devised the new format along with the Republic of Ireland's John Delaney before joining UEFA, insists that should not deter them from linking up with one of the other home nations.

``Scotland clearly couldn't do it by themselves, but there's nothing to rule out a joint bid,'' he said in the Daily Record.

Indeed, Taylor expects the number of joint bids to increase in the future, pointing out only England, France, Spain, Italy and Germany are equipped to be hosts in their own right.

He added: ``There would be less candidates to potentially act as host because we'd need more stadiums, possibly 10 rather than eight, so it is a step up in terms of organisation.''

Taylor claims a larger tournament is justified, saying: ``Look at the sides who didn't make it to Euro 2008, like England, Scotland, Denmark and Ukraine. All these countries would add to the spectacle.

``If you also consider what the fans of these nations would have brought then you would have a much bigger festival of football.

``A number of the sections were very tight and if the third teams in the group qualified, it would not have diminished the finals.''

Iwulemo's infamous howler

Updated: October 11, 2008, 8:00 AM UK

Chris Iwelumo marked his international debut with the worst miss of his career as Scotland were held to a goalless draw in their crucial World Cup qualifier against Norway.

The Wolves striker came off the bench in a bid to salvage the nation's hopes at Hampden - but will instead be forever haunted by the moment he blew Scotland's hopes of a vital victory.

With both sides regarded as the strongest challengers for the coveted runners-up spot behind favourites Holland, this was regarded as a high-stakes game where a win was essential for George Burley's men.

Having collected just four points from three games, Scotland's hopes of booking their place at South Africa in 2010 is already hanging in the balance with a daunting trip to Holland now awaiting them in March.

With Stephen McManus suspended and Kris Commons injured, Burley made two changes from the win in Iceland, with James Morrison and David Weir both drafted into the team and Darren Fletcher wearing the captain's armband as he earned his 40th cap.

Despite plenty of talk from the Scotland camp about the need for a positive approach to this game, Burley opted to deploy James McFadden on his own up front, leaving both Kris Boyd and Iwelumo on the bench.

Norway were boosted by the news that Steffen Iversen had been passed fit while goalkeeper Jon Knudsen made his international debut for the Scandinavians.

Scotland dominated the opening spell, winning a couple of corners, before Kirk Broadfoot set up Morrison for the first real chance. The West Brom midfielder tried his luck from just inside the box but the shot was weak and comfortably collected by Knudsen in the Norway goal.

The visitors had an excellent chance to open the scoring when John Carew exchanged a one-two with Iversen before racing into the box, with only a timely intervention from Gary Caldwell preventing the towering striker from claiming the opener.

Brede Hangeland then saw his downward header bounce past Craig Gordon's left post from a Fredrik Stromstad corner, although the Scotland keeper looked as though he had the header covered anyway.

Norway threatened again when Carew burst past Caldwell and unleashed an angled drive which was parried by Gordon before John Arne Riise blasted the rebound well wide of target as Hampden breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Stromstad then delivered a header to the feet of Carew in front of goal but good defending from Weir denied him a clean shot and his awkwardly struck effort was smothered by Gordon.

Scotland could have snatched the lead before the break when McFadden whipped a great ball across goal for Morrison, who nodded agonisingly over from a tight angle.

Carew had established himself as Norway's biggest threat in the first half so it was no real surprise to see the Aston Villa forward bearing down on goal shortly after the restart, his shot swiped to safety at the near post by Gordon.

With 51 minutes gone, Jon Inge Hoiland picked up the first booking of the game for hauling down Barry Robson and it proved to be a calculated risk worth taking, with Scotland failing to make anything of the free-kick.

A lack of threat up front resulted in the home nation making a double substitution 10 minutes into the second half and Morrison and McFadden were both withdrawn for the introduction of Steven Fletcher and Iwelumo.

The Wolves striker - making his first international appearance at the age of 30 - then squandered an incredible opportunity to mark his debut with a goal within minutes of being on the pitch.

Gary Naysmith was the provider with a superb ball across the face of goal from the left flank and Iwelumo somehow missed the target from a few yards with the gaping net at his mercy, stunning the national stadium into silence.

With time running out for a Scotland winner, Shaun Maloney attempted to place a swerving shot from distance into the keeper's far corner but the effort slipped past the upright instead.

A full-stretch Fletcher and Iwelumo then both failed to connect with a Broadfoot ball that was begging to be stabbed home as the match ended in stalemate.

hopefully burley will go sooner rather than later. never been convinced he's the right man.

Beginning to agree Game. He just doesnt seem to have the same presence as Watty or Eck. I still think they should have given Mark McGhee the gig.

This is interesting. I also didnt know that Capello was thinking about doing this.

Novo open to prospect of Scotland switch

October 24, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Rangers striker Nacho Novo has revealed he would "probably" switch allegiance from Spain to Scotland if called up by George Burley.

Novo, 29, has spent eight years playing in Scotland, enough time to qualify for a British passport.

He has heard rumours about England manager Fabio Capello's interest in calling up Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta, both fellow Spaniards.

And he would seriously consider accepting a call up from the Scottish Football Association.

Novo told the Daily Record: "If the SFA want to speak to me about it then of course I would be very interested in playing for Scotland.

"After all my time here I feel as if this is my home now.

"I know all about Almunia's situation with England and I read somewhere that my old Rangers team-mate Mikel Arteta is also supposed to be interesting Capello, so it's not as if this kind of thing does not happen elsewhere.

"People have told me before that I could qualify for Scotland but no-one from the SFA has spoken to me about it so it's not something I've had to seriously consider.

"Maybe a few years ago it would have seemed a little strange but now, after eight years in Scotland, I feel as if I am part of the country.

"My kids are Scottish and everyone here has treated me so well throughout my time here that I consider myself to be at home here.

"So if someone from the SFA was to ask me about the possibility of playing for Scotland then I would probably say yes."

Novo's revelation comes shortly after Rangers team-mates Kris Boyd and Lee McCulloch quit the Scotland side.

SFA president George Peat initially wanted to slap a lifetime ban on the likes of Boyd, who decided he did not want to play for his country while Burley remained in charge.

Peat said: "I must admit my initial feeling was to get the message over that if they wanted to go now then that was too bad - they would not participate in any finals.

"Possibly it's the patriot in me. I can't understand why anybody would want to do that.

"You would think any footballer would want to play for his country. You can't imagine why someone would say no.

"Gordon Smith (SFA chief executive) and I discussed this for quite some time.

"We started with the question 'Should we ban them for life?' But once we sat down and talked about it, we felt we had to be fair to the coach and leave it up to him.

"There was an argument to say let's get the message over that if they walk away then they walk away for good."

A bit more.

SFA open the door over Novo Scotland switch

October 24, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

The Scottish Football Association today opened the door for Nacho Novo to play for Scotland.

The Rangers striker has revealed he would "probably" switch allegiance from Spain if called up by George Burley.

And the SFA have said they would not stand in Burley's way if the 29-year-old was to successfully apply for UK citizenship.

Novo has spent the last eight years playing in Scotland, enough time to represent the country under FIFA rules.

It is also enough time for him to apply for a British passport should he choose to do so.

An SFA spokesman said: "While our priority will always be to invest in home grown talent, if the manager wants to pick a player who is eligible and who he thinks will do a job for Scotland then he should always be allowed to do so.

"In the case of Nacho Novo, at present he does not hold a British passport and is therefore not eligible to play for any of the home nations.

"If that situation were to change then he would be considered like any other player."

Novo has said he would seriously consider accepting a call-up.

"If the SFA want to speak to me about it then of course I would be very interested in playing for Scotland," he told the Daily Record.

"After all my time here, I feel as if this is my home now.

"People have told me before that I could qualify for Scotland but no-one from the SFA has spoken to me about it so it's not something I've had to seriously consider.

"Maybe a few years ago it would have seemed a little strange but now, after eight years in Scotland, I feel as if I am part of the country.

"My kids are Scottish and everyone here has treated me so well throughout my time here that I consider myself to be at home here.

"So if someone from the SFA was to ask me about the possibility of playing for Scotland then I would probably say yes."

The SFA signed an agreement with the other home nations in 1993, which gave the green light to players born outside the UK being selected for international duty, providing they are British passport holders.

There has previously been talk of Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta, compatriots of Novo's, being called up by England.

Novo said: "I know all about Almunia's situation with England and I read somewhere that my old Rangers team-mate Mikel Arteta is also supposed to be interesting (Fabio) Capello, so it's not as if this kind of thing does not happen elsewhere."

Tam Ferry, deputy spokesman for the Association of Tartan Army Clubs, said: "Every other country seems to have other nationalities playing for them, especially Brazilians, and he's a decent Spanish-born player, so why not?

"If George thinks he can fit into the team then I don't see a problem.

"There will be a certain percentage of Scotland fans who will not be happy, those who want first-generation Scots only playing, but we have seen that other countries can be successful and if it is within the rules then why not?

"Thankfully there are a few Rangers players who still want to play for Scotland and Novo certainly gives us another attacking option."

Novo's revelation came shortly after Rangers team-mates Kris Boyd and Lee McCulloch quit the Scotland side.

There is no guarantee the striker will be successful should he attempt to secure UK citizenship, with the Home Office demanding applicants fulfil a number of criteria.

hopefully burley will go sooner rather than later. never been convinced he's the right man.

Beginning to agree Game. He just doesnt seem to have the same presence as Watty or Eck. I still think they should have given Mark McGhee the gig.

yip, mcghee, levein, even souness.

Im led to believe burley likes a drink or 40. it shows. some of his squad selections and tactics are mind-boggling.

why did maloney (quite possibly the most on-form player in the squad) not start against macedonia?

why was boyd left on the bench when iwelumo ruined our WC dreams?

why play mcfadden as a lone striker against 2 6ft+ centre-halves?

answer = coz burleys a :D:D:D

following the mediocre start to the campaign, I'd give him an ultimatum - 6 points from holland away and iceland at home or he's gone. we can't miss another finals. :o

Edited by game4shame

• 2 months later...

Burley paves way for Boyd's Scotland return

January 1, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Scotland manager George Burley has paved the way for Kris Boyd to make a surprise return to the national team.

The Rangers striker, 25, claimed he would never play for Burley again after being left on the bench against Norway in a World Cup qualifier in October.

He has since gone on to enjoy some of the best form of his career and has brought his tally for the season so far to 18 goals.

Burley admits he would now be ''open'' to Boyd ending his self-imposed exile from international football.

He told the Scottish Sun: ''Kris is his own man and he made his decision. That's up to him.

''But, if he changes his mind, I am open. I am the manager of Scotland and my duty is to pick the best squad.

''Whether it is Kris Boyd, or whoever else who wants to play, if they are doing well and available, I will consider them.''

Burley added: ''What happened two months ago means nothing, I just move on to the next squad.

''I watch to see who is scoring and will pick the best person. It's simple. Kris is playing regularly for his club and is getting goals. He is doing very well.''

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hutton, mcmanus, weir, mcfadden, maloney, hartley, robson, o'connor, commons, broadfoot, thomson, miller.

no, it's not the line-up for saturday v holland. it's the injury list. :o

it's time for the likes of ferguson, fletcher, brown and caldwell to take the lead and show a set of balls.

We got what was expected.

Burley MUST go after that.

Utter mince. Does nobody play football after school nowadays?

Why are we so awful? What's happening?

Are we a nation of wee fat kids playing computer games?

I haven't been there for a long time (obviously, you may say) but why

are we so bad? And why are so many players not playing through an injury?

Are they all a shower of Big Jessies that play for club and not country?

Lot of questions there. Someone enlighten me.

If only Kenny Miller had done better with that early chance, it could have been a different result.

should've taken a shot with his second touch. my throat was so sore from screaming at the TV when he fluffed that.

tbh - bar the goals - I don't think we were too bad given the injury situation. but the goals we conceded were howlers:

1) teale shouldn't have let van bommel cross. alexander just watched huntelaar run past him.

2) fletcher lost van persie. whole team should've been alert knowing losing another goal on half-time would've been a nightmare. (although kuyt was blocking mcgregor).

3) berra should've only tackled in the box if he was certain he could get the ball.

caldwell's goal should've stood and who knows what would've happened if it had.

berra and mccormack looked ok - decent replacements. gary teale, however, is absolute pi5h - I almost turned the TV off when I saw him in the starting line-up. his performance cemented my view on him - lost the ball almost every time he got it, didn't get tight on van bommel's cross for first and was blocking keeper to give away a free-kick for caldwells goal. we have plenty of better midfielders even with the injuries.

mcmanus and hutton expected to return tomorrow.

my line-up would be (injuries in mind):

4-3-3

---------------mcgregor---------------

hutton-mcmanus-caldwell-naysmith

---------------ferguson----------------

---------d fletcher---brown-----------

---mccormack-----------miller-------

---------------s fletcher---------------

hutton and naysmith over-lapping, go for goals. no pi55in' about now.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5138438,00.html

Gers punish Ferguson

Weir named new skipper, duo to miss Falkirk game

By Peter O'Rourke Last updated: 3rd April 2009

Gesture: Ferguson on the bench during Scotland's game with Iceland

Rangers have stripped Barry Ferguson of the captaincy in the wake of the controversy on international duty with Scotland.

Ferguson and Allan McGregor were sent home from training on Friday and will not be involved in this weekend's clash with Falkirk.

The pair were dropped by George Burley for Scotland's World Cup qualifier at home to Iceland on Wednesday after being caught in an extended drinking session following the defeat to Holland last weekend.

Both players created more controversy after they were photographed appearing to flick the 'V' sign during Scotland's win over Iceland and for that reason Rangers have decided to punish them.

Gers boss Walter Smith has confirmed Ferguson will not skipper the side anymore with David Weir taking the armband for the rest of the season. He also suggested the club's action was prompted by the gestures made by the former skipper while on the bench during the Iceland game.

"We were unhappy about that situation but that was something for George [burley] to act on," said Smith.

"The more disappointing aspect for us was the subsequent action on the bench on Wednesday night.

"From the club's point of view, that was not a good image to project."

Rumours have suggested Ferguson and McGregor could be transfer-listed by the club and Rangers are set to make a further announcement on the matter later on Friday after a meeting with both players.

Thank you

Edited by sheff_mick

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5139503,00.html

Lifetime bans for Gers duo

Ban shock for Scottish duo following inquiry over conduct

By Elliot Ball Last updated: 3rd April 2009

Ferguson & McGregor: Banned

Gers punish Ferguson

Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have been banned from ever representing Scotland again, while Rangers have suspended the pair for a fortnight without pay.

The news comes after an internal club inquiry into the players' conduct over the last week while on international duty with Scotland.

An SFA spokesman said: "In light of the events of the past 48 hours and following further discussions between the national team manager and the chief executive, it has been decided that Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will no longer be considered for international selection by Scotland.

"This action has been taken in the best interest of the squad, the fans and the country.

Hard line

"We are determined to qualify for the World Cup and we must ensure that nothing is allowed to distract us from achieving this goal."

Midfielder Ferguson - who has been stripped of both club and country captaincy - and goalkeeper McGregor were called into a meeting with Gers Chief Executive Martin Bain at Murray Park on Friday, before Bain gave his verdict on the club's official website.

He said: "The overall conduct of the players during the last week while on Scotland duty has, regrettably, fallen considerably short of standards expected by Rangers Football Club and our supporters and has brought the Club into disrepute.

"The management of the Club has taken the view that this has damaged both Rangers and Scotland and is unacceptable.

"Even though our Club is entering a critical stage of the league season and the later stages of the Scottish Cup, appropriate disciplinary action was required."

The pair, who were involved in a lengthy drinking session after returning to Scotland from Holland last weekend, before making 'V signs' with their hands during the midweek match against Iceland, were both remorseful of their actions.

Apologies

Ferguson said: "I deeply regret what happened last weekend and the events during the last week and apologise wholeheartedly for the embarrassment caused to Scotland, Rangers, both sets of supporters and my friends and family.

"I have always considered playing for Rangers and Scotland an honour and a privilege and nothing will change that and I am bitterly disappointed by the announcement that I will not be selected for Scotland again."

McGregor - who made his competitive debut against Holland on Saturday - added: "I was absolutely delighted to be selected for Scotland last weekend and I am deeply sorry over what has happened since then.

"We all make mistakes in life and I am very disappointed to have let Rangers, Scotland, my family, all the fans down.

"I am also desperately disappointed that I will not be selected again for Scotland at this stage in my career."

Thank you

Always came across as such a nice wee boy that Barry Ferguson.

Great player. But still a wee ned. Went to school with him(though he was younger) Always was good but still awee ned!! I'm sure it will all blow over!

Just read that Ferguson and McGregor won't play for Scotland again. What they did was immature but banning them for life seems a bit excessive. :o

totally agree - they had a bit of a sesh after a game & they gave the fingers to some daily record pap's. big deal.

I've seen footballer's in trouble for rape or assault that have been let off lighter than ferguson and mcgregor. I think it's a total joke.

coming from someone who has a strong dislike for rangers fc I have to admit ferguson is one of scotland's best and most experienced midfielders and mcgregor is on a par with craig gordon.

the life ban issued last week is excessive and hasty. I can't see this being the end of it tbh - already there's rumblings of the other scotland players asking for the ban to be lifted.

apparently they weren't the only ones on the lash that night too - they were just caught out near the end.....and told elvis to pi55 off.....who wouldn't? :D

• 4 months later...

Well 3 points and not too bad a performance. Though some dreadful defennding at times. Could have been punished if not for Gordon and some bad finishing. Still think Burley is not the man to be leading us. But 3 points is 3 points. But even IF we beat the Dutch this week. Still no guarantee we will be in the playoffs. Honestly i cant see us beating the Dutch. Hope we do though. But it's still only a matter of time until Burley gets the boat. And he knows it.

STAR MAN TO MISS HOLLAND CRUNCH

Scotland to appeal against McFadden ban?

By Soccernet staff

September 6, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

The Scottish Football Association are considering whether to launch an appeal against the yellow card which rules James McFadden out of Scotland's crucial World Cup qualifier against Holland.

GettyImages

Burley: Future remains uncertain

The Birmingham forward claimed he was the victim of mistaken identity when cautioned following a melee just before half-time during Saturday's 2-0 win over Macedonia at Hampden. George Burley's men are bid to secure a play-off spot but the booking took McFadden, who scored Scotland's second, past the disciplinary threshold.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith plans to find out whether there is any chance of the decision being overturned. "We will certainly be looking at it," he said. I'm not quite sure yet what the situation is because he is claiming mistaken identity but in many cases, and we have seen it already at the highest level, there is no appeal for certain decisions.

"Darren Fletcher missed out on a Champions League final because there was no appeal against a red card and very often we don't have any appeals against yellow cards. I don't know whether in this scenario, when it's mistaken identity, there might be a possibility so we will be looking at that. None of us understood why he was getting booked. We were all asking each other if anyone realised what had happened and none of us did. I don't think James McFadden knew why he was getting booked either."

Meanwhile, SFA president George Peat says he has yet to make up his mind whether George Burley should be kept on, should Scotland fail to qualify for the South Africa.

Asked whether Burley would continue should Scotland lose to Holland Peat told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We haven't discussed that. Let's just wait until the games are all finished. We'll have a better idea after Wednesday. I haven't made up my mind one way or another."

Essentially guys ye need a lot of favours from a lot of teams to qualify for the playoffs.........starting with beating the Dutch, although ye did beat then before in a playoff leg I believe ?

Anything less than a win and ye can forget about it.