The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Football focus last night they said the Mc'leish's salary would jump from 400K with the SFA to 1.6M with Brum.

Can't really blame him for leaving. We should really be asking the question why the national coach of Scotland can quadruple his wages by going to a struggling Premiership team. Something not right there. :o

For his replacement, I suppose Billy Davies or Gary McAllister would be fine. Just as long as it isn't Souness.

And their point about if Mc'leish stayed at Scotland and didn't have any succsess then everyone would forget what a good job he's done , whereas if he left to join a premiership side now while his reputation is high he is on a winner , and the money is a no-brainer :D .

Scotland begin successor search

Gary McAllister (left) and Billy Davies are the front-runners

Gary McAllister and Billy Davies have emerged as the early favourites to replace Alex McLeish as Scotland coach.

McAllister is the bookies' front-runner and is closely followed by Davies, who was sacked by Derby this week.

Former Scotland skipper McAllister has not been involved in management since he left Coventry in January 2004.

Other names in the frame include former Rangers boss Graeme Souness, Dundee United's Craig Levein, Tommy Burns, Joe Jordan and Kenny Dalglish.

BBC Sport lists the main contenders for the Scotland job and the early odds from the bookies.

GARY McALLISTER

Gary McAllister made his club debut for his home-town side Motherwell in 1981, before moving through Leicester, Leeds, Coventry and Liverpool as a deft midfielder.

He was capped 57 times for his country but his international career ended in 1999 after being consistently booed by the Tartan Army for missing a crucial penalty against England during Euro 96.

The 42-year-old went on to manage Coventry, but left in 2004 to care for his wife Denise, who lost her battle with cancer in 2006.

A clear candidate for success this time, it is thought that McLeish narrowly beat McAllister to the role of Scotland manager in January.

Bookmakers say: 2/1

BILLY DAVIES

Billy Davies, 43, left Derby on Monday and has already stated his interest in managing Scotland.

He told BBC Sport: "I'm very open to listen to anything that is offered or put on the table. I'm not ruling anything out. If somebody wants to talk to me I will listen and then make a decision."

Davies began his managerial career at Motherwell in 1998, and was assistant to Craig Brown at Preston before succeeding him as manager.

He took Derby to the Premier League last season but left the club bottom of the table, with just six points from 14 games.

Bookmakers say: 3/1

CRAIG LEVEIN

Dundee United's Craig Levein has enjoyed a bright start to the season, credited with improving performance and stability in the team.

He has gone some way to restoring his personal reputation after being sacked by Leicester City after 15 months in 2006.

Capped 16 times himself as a player, Levein may be seen as the man who can build on the success already started by McLeish with the Scottish squad.

Bookmakers say: 5/1

TOMMY BURNS

Tommy Burns was vocal about his "disappointment" at not being contacted by the SFA when Walter Smith left the post earlier this year.

He was brought in as assistant Scotland manager by Berti Vogt, and remained as a number two to Smith during his tenure but left when Alex McLeish took charge.

Burns is Celtic's first-team coach and youth development chief.

Bookmakers say: 12/1

GRAEME SOUNESS

Graeme Souness made his name as a manager in Scotland when he transformed Rangers in 1986 but had mixed success since leaving for Liverpool.

Had short spells at Southampton, Torino, Benfica and Galatasaray before taking Blackburn back into the Premiership.

Has been out of work since ending a disappointing spell at Newcastle and, with 54 Scotland caps, may fancy leading the national team.

Bookmakers say: 8/1

KENNY DALGLISH

Kenny Dalglish won a record 101 caps for his country and netted 30 goals, but his stock fell when his dream return to Celtic with John Barnes turned into a nightmare.

Won titles as Liverpool and Blackburn boss but quit both jobs. He then led Newcastle to a second-placed finish before their form took a nosedive.

The international job could suit Dalglish, but he may be reluctant to endanger his legendary status among the Tartan Army.

Bookmakers say: 20/1

ROY AITKEN

McLeish's assistant with the national side, Roy Aitken might fancy stepping up and taking over the top job, although he may prefer life as a behind the scenes man.

Capped 57 times for Scotland, Aitken was sacked in 1997 after two years in charge of Aberdeen.

That was followed by spells as David O'Leary's number two at Leeds United and Aston Villa.

Bookmakers say: 12/1

JOE JORDAN

Currently the first-team coach at Portsmouth, Joe Jordan enjoyed an excellent international playing career, featuring in three consecutive World Cups in 1974, 1978 and 1982, scoring in each tournament.

He has had spells in charge of Bristol City (twice), Stoke City and Hearts.

When speculation swirled around him in January with the departure of Walter Smith, Jordan said he was "flattered" to be considered for the role which eventually went to McLeish.

Bookmakers say: 16/1

• 1 month later...

Excited' Burley on brink of Scotland job

George Burley's appointment as Scotland manager is set to be rubber-stamped on Thursday.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith has secured terms for Burley's release from Southampton.

The SFA agreed to pay the Coca-Cola Championship club an undisclosed compensation sum for a man Smith revealed 'ticked all the boxes' as a candidate.

And Burley's agent Athole Still insisted he could see no reason for personal terms being a stumbling block.

Scottish agent Still sees no other problems on the horizon.

'Quite honestly I don't think so,' Still told Sky Sports News.

'There's still one or two things to be ironed out in his contract but nothing that I see as being a deal-breaker.

'He's excited at the opportunity to take over his national team and I hope that the final t's can be crossed and i's can be dotted pretty smartly in the next 24 hours.'

Smith believes the deal can be wrapped up quickly.

'We do hope so,' he said. 'We would like that to happen and for everything to go smoothly. I don't see why not. We are hoping everything will be tied up tomorrow.

'George ticked all the boxes.'

Burley was surprisingly chosen above fellow shortlisted candidates Tommy Burns, Mark McGhee and Graeme Souness. His rivals for the job had been strongly touted for the job, with Burley the dark horse until this week's developments.

'Personally, I would have been comfortable with all four of the candidates,' said Smith.

'They all had the assets we were looking for and that was a big factor.

'George came out on top because of certain aspects. I'm sure that the Tartan Army will be behind him and see that we get off to a good start and continue the success we have had.'

Talks with Still should continue on Thursday morning, with Friday now the most likely day for Burley to take his bow as Scotland boss at a Hampden Park press conference.

Burley, 51, emerged this week as the preferred candidate of the SFA's interview panel.

The panel, which included chief executive Gordon Smith and president George Peat, had their choice ratified by the SFA board this morning.

The post became vacant when Alex McLeish resigned on November 27 to take charge of Barclays Premier League side Birmingham, 10 days after Scottish dreams of Euro 2008 qualification were shattered by Italy.

The SFA - who have faced criticism from some quarters for taking almost two months to find a new boss - are confident Burley has the qualities required of a Scotland manager.

Peat insisted: 'We think we've got the right man.'

Negotiations with Southampton were swiftly completed and, in Burley, the SFA are confident they have chosen a man of stature who can be a figurehead for the Scottish game.

McLeish impressed with the manner of his management during his 10-month spell in charge of the national team, as did Walter Smith before him, prior to walking out to join Rangers last January.

The SFA will want to ensure that Burley is not tempted away from the Scotland job while still under contract, if results make him a target for club sides.

Burley has spent most of his career, both as player and manager, in English football.

At Ipswich he is a club legend after making 500 appearances for the Tractor Boys and later taking charge as manager from 1994 to 2002, a spell during which Ipswich clinched a fifth-place finish in the Premier League and qualified for the UEFA Cup.

In Europe they memorably beat Inter Milan at Portman Road before their adventure ended with a heavy defeat in the San Siro.

He had a short stint with Hearts in 2005 which ended less than four months after his appointment, even though the Jambos were top of the league at the time of his departure after starting the league season with eight straight wins.

A disagreement with new majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov saw Burley leave Tynecastle suddenly, however he was soon back in management at Southampton.

Burley has also bossed Ayr, Colchester and Derby.

He has been with the Saints since December 2005 but has been unable to take his team into the Barclays Premier League.

They came close last season, losing on penalties to Derby in the Coca-Cola Championship play-off semi-finals.

They currently stand 13th in the Championship and, since the SFA's interest materialised, there has not been a clamour from Southampton supporters calling for Burley to stay.

Burley will be handed the chance to lead Scotland to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Scotland have not qualified for a major tournament since reaching the 1998 World Cup, however they have soared to 14th in the FIFA world rankings after notable results under former bosses Smith and McLeish.

They each scored a victory over 2006 World Cup runners-up France, and the current generation of players are considered the country's best for a decade.

The Scotland job does not pay as well as top club jobs, with the annual salary thought to be between £300,000-£400,000, which is why the SFA could not seriously consider bringing in the pick of the country's coaches.

However that is believed to be a competitive wage in terms of Burley's wages at Southampton.

The likes of Everton's David Moyes, Celtic's Gordon Strachan and Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson - who had a short spell in charge in the mid 1980s - would have been unrealistic targets.

In a statement, Southampton confirmed they had 'reluctantly' given Burley the go-ahead to take the Scotland job.

Southampton chairman Leon Crouch explained: 'George has done a terrific job here and we are all very sad to see him go.

'We would not have allowed him to talk to anyone other than Scotland and I don't think he would have left us for anyone else.

'It is a huge honour for anyone to take charge of their national side and we could not stand in his way.

'We thank him for all his hard work here and wish him all the best. I am sure he will do well for them.'

Scotland skipper backs boss' style

Scotland skipper Barry Ferguson believes George Burley will get the national team playing football the right way.

Burley is set to be confirmed as the new Scotland boss after the SFA agreed a compensation deal with Southampton for their manager.

Burley impressed Ferguson by leading Hearts to the top of the Scottish Premier League in 2005 before a disagreement with majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov led to his shock departure.

And the Rangers midfielder believes the passing game he introduced at Tynecastle will suit the national team.

'I've only ever heard good things about George, although I have never really spoken to him,' Ferguson told the Scottish Sun.

'It was well documented that his reign at Hearts ended in unfortunate circumstances. But he had them absolutely flying at the start of that season and he looks a good manager.

'There was no doubt he transformed the whole club during that short spell in charge.

'He also comes across as a real football person.

'He likes his teams to get the ball down and play it on the deck. In my mind that's the right way to play. We certainly have the players for that style.'

FA were faced with a tough choice over their next boss.

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee was considered for the job, and together with Graeme Souness and Celtic first-team coach Tommy Burns he agreed to be interviewed by the SFA's four-man panel which included chief executive Smith and president George Peat.

Burley, 51, will have more than seven months to prepare for his first competitive match, the World Cup qualifier away to FYR Macedonia on September 6.

Having been presented at Hampden this afternoon, the national stadium will also be the venue for Burley's first match in charge, the March 26 friendly against Croatia.

Scotland have not qualified for a major tournament since the 1998 World Cup, and Burley will be the fifth manager the team have had in this decade, following Craig Brown, Berti Vogts, Smith and McLeish.

Meanwhile, John Gorman and Jason Dodd have been put in caretaker charge of Southampton following George Burley's decision to leave.

Saints are beginning the search for a new manager with former Derby boss Billy Davies, ex-Leicester and Coventry chief Micky Adams and Glenn Hoddle - who managed the club for just over a year in 2000 - all being linked with the role.

Former Swindon and Wycombe boss Gorman, who was Hoddle's assistant at Southampton, is currently on the scouting staff at St Mary's while Dodd is first-team coach.

The pair have been put in charge of Saints' FA Cup fourth-round clash with another managerless club, League Two minnows Bury, and Tuesday's Coca-Cola Championship meeting with Norwich, as chairman Leon Crouch starts hunting for Burley's successor.

'This is a top job for someone and there are a lot of good candidates out there,' Crouch told the official website.

'We are disappointed to lose George Burley but we will now sit down and look at all the options and decide how to move forward. In the meantime we are fully focused on two big home games in quick succession and we are confident the management team will hold things together strongly while we consider our options.'

New boss Burley ready for Scotland challenge

George Burley was confirmed as the new Scotland manager today and said: 'To be asked to be manager of my country is a great honour.'

Burley left Southampton to take the job, and the 51-year-old's first match will be the friendly against Croatia on March 26.

He has signed a contract taking him through to the European Championships in 2012.

'As a manager it's a great honour,' Burley said.

'It's something you want to do, given the opportunity.

'I never thought it would ever happen.

'When Scotland showed interest there were so many outstanding candidates with huge experience.

'It's something I'm really looking to.

'I feel I'm ready for it.'

Burley has set his target as taking Scotland to the 2010 World Cup finals. The qualification campaign begins in September.

Scotland have not qualified for a major tournament since the 1998 World Cup, but they came close in their Euro 2008 campaign under Alex McLeish, when defeat to Italy in November ended their hopes.

'As a Scotsman you've got a vision to do well for your country,' he said.

'This job gives the opportunity to try to do something, to try to get to the World Cup finals, and as a manager you couldn't ask for more than that.

'There are tingles going through me of excitement, thinking about it.

'The previous managers have done absolutely tremendously.

'Everyone remembers the last game where it was so close to qualifying. Now the dream is to qualify for the World Cup.'

Burley claimed the recent improvement in Scotland's fortunes has instilled a conviction that the team can go one better and take their place at the World Cup in two years' time.

He said at a press conference shown by Sky Sports News: 'It's not going to be easy but there is belief now.

'I think that is another part of the job, the country believing and believing we are going somewhere.'

The 51-year-old believes his greatest attribute is his management of players who he has inspired at a number of clubs including Ipswich, Hearts and Derby.

He said: 'I've got a fair bit of success with clubs, not spending a great deal of money but bringing the best out of players - man-management.

'And I'll say (to players and managers) - let's go for it, give it our best shot.

'There are some very good teams in the group starting with Macedonia in September but I think we'll all be ready for it.

'I'll give it 110%.

'Thanks to the SFA. The candidates were so many, I was surprised to get the job but maybe they saw something that will help Scotland.'

Burley, asked what qualities made him suited to the job, replied: 'I am passionate about football, it is a trait of Scottish managers, and it is important to keep that and harness it.

'We are very close knit together in Scotland. That's how the team has done so well in recent years.

'There are so many top-class Scottish managers, so many who are capable and could have done the job, but it is very important for me and for Scotland that everyone pulls together.

'The (World Cup) campaign is two-and-a-half years and my aim is to keep everyone focused to give us our best chance.

'I want to put pressure on myself. If I could get Scotland to qualify for the World Cup that would be me.....and then take it from there.

'There is a great base from Walter (Smith) and Alex (McLeish), a good footing, a great squad and the atmosphere is absolutely terrific.

'The challenge is to go that one step further and qualify. If you don't want to put yourself under pressure then don't do it.'

Burley feels that the time is right for him to move into international management.

'I have had 16 years as a (club) manager and I feel I am ready for it,' he said.

Totally agree JS, I think Burley was the best they could have chosen.

Good luck to him and the lads in the World Cup qualifying group.

Yes agreed. Burley would have been my choice out of the 4 candidates. In saying that I think McGhee could have been a good appointment as well.

New Scotland boss sets World Cup target

New Scotland manager George Burley admits he is facing up to the biggest challenge of his career as he targets a place at the 2010 World Cup.

Installed on Thursday as the Scottish Football Association's surprise choice as national team coach, Burley now has the expectations of an entire country resting on his shoulders.

Predecessor Alex McLeish took Scotland to within touching distance of Euro 2008 and Burley knows he has to go one better.

'It would mean everything to me to take Scotland to the World Cup,' he said.

'That is my focus and I'm going to give it everything. I had 16 years in England so I am fairly experienced.

'My longest spell was at Ipswich where I was very proud of the players I brought through and our achievements in playing in Europe and finishing fifth (in the Premier League).

'As far as those qualities, working with players, working with teams, I feel I am ready for it.

'I don't think it's daunting but the expectations are huge. The nation expects. What Alex and Walter Smith did was phenomenal but I am looking forward to it.'

Burley can be forgiven for unashamedly reciting the attributes which led to him being selected as the SFA's preferred candidate.

After all, at no stage was he installed as favourite by bookmakers while the other candidates - Graeme Souness, Mark McGhee and Tommy Burns - were all tipped to land the job at one stage.

'It depends on the qualifications you are looking for,' said Burley.

'If you are looking for a Scottish manager who has done very well in every club he has been at in 16 years, who is passionate about Scotland, who is hungry, who is very focused, I think I come into that category.

'England took Fabio Capello because maybe they felt they didn't have an English manager who was right for the job.

'I have always been an advocate that Scotland have been fortunate in having so many top-class managers over the years.

'You could reel off 12 or 16 at the moment who would be capable of doing the Scotland job.'

Burley will oversee a squad gathering next month before facing Croatia in his first match in a friendly at Hampden Park in March.

A clash with England at Wembley has been mooted for the end of May and the new Scotland manager is far from against the idea.

'It would be great for the fans,' he said.

'It's something which would have to be carefully thought about.'

• 7 months later...
Hey JS.......I just read you man, Burley, says don't expect too much form his first game in charge :o

Manager George Burley says he does not want Scotland's World Cup qualifying chances to be judged solely on the clash with Macedonia.

Saturday's match in Skopje will be the first of eight qualifying matches the Scots will face in Group Nine.

"We're not going to finish first just because we win and we are certainly not going to finish last just because we get beat," said Burley

"It's not about one game, it's not about four, it's about eight,"

Burley is still looking for his first win as Scotland boss following two draws and a defeat in his first three matches.

"The friendly games have been great, I've had some very good performances in those games, and it's allowed us to have a look at players, which was very important," he added.

Scotland are braced for searing heat in the Macedonian capital with temperatures expected to reach 36 degrees Celsius.#

But coach Steven Pressley insists every precaution has been taken.

"It's a consideration, rather than a concern," he said.

"We need to make sure the players are properly refuelled. It's still early in the season - fitness levels are at a high standard and that's a positive."

The Macedonians are currently ranked 56 in the world, while the Scots are 16th on the Fifa list.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

How do you think Scotland will get on in Macedonia?

However, the home side warmed up with a 4-1 win in Luxembourg last month and can call upon Lazio striker Goran Pandev to lead the line.

Macedonia held Poland to a 1-1 draw prior to Euro 2008 and have twice earned away draws against England; 2-2 at St Mary's in 2002 and 0-0 at Old Trafford in 2006.

"We still feel confident and we're desperate to get the right result," added Pressley, who revealed that former Scotland boss Craig Brown had been spying on their opponents.

"I watched a number of DVDs on Macedonia and Craig Brown has given us an in-depth insight into them.

"There is no doubt they are a good team and their recent results reflect that.

"I still believe we can win the game. A draw would be a decent result but our intention is to win the game."

Hearts midfielder Michael Stewart, called up as a late injury replacement, insists Scotland will not take Macedonia lightly.

"The manager has spoken to us about a number of their players and we know they are quite dangerous in the final third," he said.

"Craig Brown also spoke to the team as well but we need to focus on Scotland and what we can do to punish them."

Manager George Burley has had to cope with a flurry of withdrawals, losing Garry O'Connor, David Weir, David Marshall, Callum Davidson, Kevin McNaughton and Kevin Thomson.

Jamie Langfield, Kirk Broadfoot and Stewart have been drafted in and Burley insists the alterations will have little effect on how his side approach Saturday's opening qualifier, which precedes Wednesday's trip to face Iceland.

"We have a squad of 22 and we are raring to go. We have eight games to qualify so nothing changes," he said.

"Our tactics would have been the same no matter who was in the squad.

"Personnel will be different but as far as our manner and style of play, that hasn't changed at all."

Well it starts again tonight. Come on Scotland. I'm off to the Score Bar in the casino to watch it with the Tartan Army.

........then it's off to the Raging Bunny in Redfern for a few quiet ales (I bet you $20, you daren't go in there and ask for a Pink Lady !!)

Better you retire to Harry's Cafe DeWheels to check out the Holland v Australia result.

Enjoy you night Jock. (Cheers and may all you teams win)

Morrison the latest Scots player to miss out

Updated: September 5, 2008, 10:29 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Scotland midfielder James Morrison looks set to miss tomorrow's World Cup qualifying opener in Macedonia.

The West Brom player, 22, suffered a knee injury in his club's goalless draw at Bolton on Saturday and has been unable to train since.

He had been in contention to start tomorrow afternoon's Group Nine clash in Skopje but coach Steven Pressley today revealed he is not expected to be fit.

'I wouldn't think so. James is still struggling,' Pressley said. 'We will give him every opportunity but he is a major doubt.'

Celtic's Barry Robson has been tipped to replace Morrison if he fails to recover.

Pressley revealed he was a strong contender for the role.

'He hasn't featured a great deal for Celtic so far this season but the way he played at the end of last season suggested that he is a very good midfielder and that's the reason he is in the squad,' Pressley said,

'He would bring a lot to the team and he's in our thoughts for the game.'

Scotland's stand-in captain Stephen McManus has also been carrying an injury but Pressley confirmed the Celtic defender had recovered from his ankle problem.

'He trained the last few days,' the coach said. 'Obviously, he got a knock in the Old Firm game but he has shown no effects from that and he'll be fine.'

As well as the injury problems that have so far seen six players withdraw from the squad, the main concern for manager George Burley has been the prospect of searing heat in Skopje.

Temperatures are expected to reach 36 degrees Celsius tomorrow, but Pressley insists every precaution has been taken.

'It's a consideration, rather than a concern,' he said. 'We need to make sure the players are properly refuelled for the game.

'We will also be taking that into consideration in terms of the way we go about the game. We still feel confident and we're desperate to get the right result.

'It's still early in the season. Fitness levels are at a high standard and that's a positive.'

Pressley believes the information provided by former national team boss Craig Brown on tomorrow's opponents will prove invaluable.

He said: 'I watched a number of DVDs on Macedonia and Craig Brown has given us an in-depth insight into them. There is no doubt they are a good team And their recent results reflect that.

'I still believe we can win the game. A draw would be a decent result but our intention is to win the game.'

Hearts midfielder Michael Stewart, called up this week as an injury replacement, insists Scotland will not take Macedonia lightly.

He said: 'The manager has spoken to us about a number of their players and we know they are quite danagerous in the final third.

'Craig Brown also ppoke to the team aw well but we need to focus on Scotland and what we can do to punish them.'

As for the prospect of running around in the heat, Stewart added: 'The players have not really spoken about it. I'm sure it will be addressed nearer the time.

'There is nothing we can do about it. We just have to get on with it.'

This from Chick Young

A nation holds its breath...

Chick Young

1 Sep 08, 11:32 PM

Frightening how time flies when you are enjoying yourself. It seems just a heartbeat ago I was frolicking in France as Craig Brown's Scotland chiselled at the coalface of the 1998 World Cup.

A decade ago? Seems just like ten years. Now I wonder if I'll ever be blessed with the task of reporting my country's campaign in a finals ever again.

It won't be long until South Africa kicks off. I bought a can of sweet corn yesterday which had a use-by date later than the final in Cape Town.

The thing is, will Scotland's chances of reaching the first ever finals in Africa?

It could be all over by next Wednesday night if we don't return from Macedonia and Iceland - two contrasting cultures and climates as you could ever hope to visit in just a few short days - with at least a couple of points.

Currently in the former Yugoslavia temperatures are such that you could barbeque a chicken on the pavement. I pray that Scotland's 3pm kick-off will not lead to a similar roasting.

Of course cries from the media that the team should be checking in to their hotel at least a day earlier than the 24 hours before kick-off that is currently the master plan, will be drowned in allegations of the gentlemen of the press seeking another night out in a foreign land.

But it is a cruel jibe that pierces the heart of this hardened reporter and most of his colleagues.

The football comes first. Reach the finals and there will be many nights out to be had in the South African summer of 2010.

Actually I have to confess that I nurse concerns about this campaign. No Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton to see us off at the start line and no victories yet for the new manager from which he can take heart.

There is a trusted recipe for success here. You must win all your home fixtures and burgle a few points on the road while realistically targeting the runners-up position in the group.

Press the gamble button for the play-off spot.

And under-rate anyone, particularly Macedonia and Iceland, at your peril.

Still, the Tartan Army will enjoy it all, although they'll be a little bemused by the changing price of a nightcap. In Reykjavik the price of a pint is the price of a brewery in Skopje.

And yet despite this cloak of pessimism which lies wearily on my shoulders our little football nation cannot continue like this.

Twelve years in the World Cup wilderness for a country which used to receive a prize for perfect attendance - if nothing else - in five tournaments on the bounce is far too long.

Indeed only the failure to cross the Atlantic to the burger-fest tournament in 1994, when FIFA'S bid to brainwash America crashed and burned, stopped it being seven in a row.

The Good Lord only knows how I pine for such sweet and cherished days...

Kids have been born and raised and are now heading for a secondary education without knowing how a nation weeps with joy and sadness, how a whole country bares its soul when Scotland goes off to do battle in a foreign land.

This is the start of a long campaign. A nation holds its collective breath...if only to cure the World Cup hiccoughs.

Be still my itching pessimism. It is time for the Lion to be Rampant once more.

post-10746-1220684367_thumb.jpg

Bullish boss George Burley sets sights on kicking off Scotland's World Cup campaign with a bang

Sep 6 2008 By Keith Jackson

GEORGE BURLEY arrived in Macedonia last night and insisted Scotland are ready to take on the world.

Burley will begin his job in earnest today when his bid to lead us to South Africa 2010 kicks off with a Group 9 opener here in sweltering Skopje. After three friendly internationals Burley is still waiting for his first victory as Scotland boss, eight months after taking over from Alex McLeish.

But he believes his side are ready to start their World Cup qualification bid with a bang. Burley said: "Yes, we are as ready as we can be. We are mentally and physically prepared.

"It's up to us to prove it. We are very passionate about our country. We have our own traits - we never give in, we will fight right to the death, we'll give 100 per cent.

"In the last qualification campaign we did well but just failed. We are in another difficult group and have to show we are good enough and earn the right to qualify."

Asked if Burley's Scotland would shake off the defensive shackles placed on them by previous bosses Walter Smith and McLeish, the manager primed.

He said: "We'll be judged on our performances.

"All credit must to to Walter Smith and Alex McLeish for the jobs they have done but it's up to us to prove we can attack teams and still be hard to beat as well. We are not going to completely over-run teams but we have to play to our strengths.

"At times we will have to defend but at times we will hopefully play good attacking football. It's about getting the right balance.

"We have a plan for the game against Macedonia and then we'll look at how to approach the next one.

"It's not about systems - it's not about one striker or two strikers - it's about getting the right combination. I've always said that.

"It's not about systems or players - it's about getting the best out of your squad."

Yet, almost with his next breath, Burley added: "The system we are going to play over here has not changed but the personnel has because we've had a couple of injuries. There's nothing you can do about that.

"We'll be looking for our midfield players to get forward, we'll be looking to defend, we'll be looking to attack."

Scotland sit 40 places above their opponents in FIFA's world rankings but Burley expects his team to be given a thorough examination at the City Stadium, even describing Macedonia as being of "exceptional" quality.

He said: "Macedonia are an exceptional team. It's naive to think we should come here and win easily.

"It's going to be a tough game. They've had some good results against top-class opposition."

The Scots suffered a setback last night when James Morrison failed a fitness test on his damaged knee.

What a pish result :D

What a pish performance. The first half was the worst game of football i've seen Scotland play for a while. the midfield was non existent. The referee gave a free kick for nothing as the player dived. They score from it. :o Then we continue to play pretty much the same pish till half time. The second half was a lot better but still not good enough. 2 clear penalty claims turned down straight after each other. We better raise our game against Iceland or we can forget about SA. fuc_king pish!!! Not happy!!! :D :D

This from the Sunday Mail.

Macedonia 1-0 Scotland

Sep 7 2008 Mark Guidi In Skopje

WE thought we had left the bad old days of Berti Vogts behind. On this evidence they may be on the way back. After Berti was in charge for a few games there was little confidence in Scotland getting it right. And that appears to be the case now under George Burley.

Walter Smith cleaned up the mess left behind by Vogts before Alex McLeish took us to within a whisker of reaching Euro 2008.

But in this defeat - which many could see coming - Burley's side never reached the level of performance we often witnessed during the last qualification campaign.

Scotland started lethargically and were punished when Ilcho Naumoski opened the scoring after just five minutes.

It was a blow Burley's men never recovered from and the team now faces an uphill struggle to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

If you want to make it to a major finals you can't lose these type of fixtures.

You need to put down a serious marker of intent and leave with the points.

To come away with nothing is totally unacceptable - even if the game was played in blistering heat throughout.

Burley's team selection wasn't a surprise and he opted for a 4-4-2 formation against Macedonia's 3-4-3. You couldn't argue with his starting line-up and it was refreshingly positive to go with twin strikers - Kenny Miller and James McFadden - away from home.

Unfortunately they never got the chance to impress before the home team opened the scoring.

Stephen McManus was penalised for a foul on Goran Maznov 23 yards out but it was a debatable decision.

Skipper Goce Sedloski struck the free-kick powerfully and Craig Gordon did well to tip his effort on to his post.

The ball rebounded into the six-yard area and Naumoski reacted first to slam into the net.

It gave the home crowd a major boost - not that this was by any means an intimidating arena.

Scotland didn't show anything positive to bounce back. They were slow and their passing was sloppy. McFadden created a chance for himself on the half hour when he jinked along the penalty area to leave three Macedonians tackling thin air.

He rattled in a shot from 15 yards but Igor Mitreski slid in to block before it tested keeper Petar Milosevski.

Seconds later referee Pavel Kralovec rightly waved away a penalty claim when Maznov crumpled after Gordon slid out to meet him.

Maznov dived and was lucky to escape a booking for his antics.

The same player was denied a goal in 39 minutes when he raced clear in a superb counter-attack.

Maznov was one-on-one with Gordon but a last-gasp Gary Caldwell tackle saved Scotland from conceding a second.

Burley must have been happy his side were only one down at the break.

Only Barry Robson, Paul Hartley and McFadden came close to the level required. The rest were average at best. Darren Fletcher was a huge letdown and Scott Brown didn't get going.

There was much more urgency and accuracy after the interval.

However, for Burley to say the second-half performance was "outstanding" is ludicrous. Frankly, it's the kind of nonsense Berti used to come away with.

Brown was involved early in the half and Milosevski saved well from his 20-yard shot.

But Scotland should have tested the keeper more as he looked dodgy throughout. The same couldn't be said of Gordon and he pulled off a top save to keep out a 30-yard rasper from Velice Sumulikoski.

The keeper also denied Naumoski at point-blank range.

At the other end Macedonia were lucky not to concede a penalty in 71 minutes.

Miller went down under a challenge and the ball broke for McFadden who was caught by keeper Milosevski for an even stronger appeal.

Shaun Maloney then came on for Robson who was our most effective outfield player.

And Maloney had Scotland's best effort late on when he beat two men on the left before unleashing a 20-yard strike that forced a top save from Milosevski.

Fingers will be pointed after this disastrous defeat and the way Scotland prepared for the game has to be scrutinised.

The team hotel was in Skopje's city centre - slap bang in the middle of Friday night's madness from the locals and the Tartan Army. Shambolic organisation.

Landing in Macedonia less than 24 hours before kick-off also wasn't proper.

Now there is tension in the camp and reservations about the manager continue.

No wins from four games is a shocking record for Burley. He must make it one from five in Iceland on Wednesday night.

Or else.

The SFA dithered over bungling Berti. History must not be allowed to repeat itself.

Only Barry Robson, Paul Hartley and McFadden came close to the level required. The rest were average at best. Darren Fletcher was a huge letdown and Scott Brown didn't get going.

fletcher is the most overpaid, over-rated excuse of a midfielder I've ever seen (bar lampard). he should be controlling games against the likes of macedonia, especially in ferguson's absence.

nevermind, he can go back to warming the old trafford bench for 40k a week soon.

Iceland 1-2 Scotland: Broadfoot the heroScoring Summary

Updated: September 10, 2008, 8:00 AM UK

Debutant Kirk Broadfoot was Scotland's unlikely hero when he set the ball rolling on a crucial World Cup qualifying win over Iceland on an action-packed night in Reykjavik.

The Rangers full-back grabbed the opener to ease the pressure on George Burley's shoulders just days after the national team boss claimed he was a player of ''limited ability.''

Barry Robson doubled the advantage with the rebound from a saved James McFadden penalty before skipper Stephen McManus was dismissed and Eidur Gudjohnsen netted from the spot to set up a tense finale.

Burley was forced to endure a difficult three days following the defeat in Macedonia with most of the criticism aimed at him personally.

Even so, he opted for a positive 4-3-3 formation tonight and demonstrated he was not afraid to make some bold decisions in a bid to kick-start the campaign.

Kenny Miller and Graham Alexander were both fit enough to be named in the 18-man squad, after suffering knocks at the weekend, but were dropped to the bench along with Paul Hartley.

In came Broadfoot for his maiden international outing, while Kris Commons made his first start and Shaun Maloney was also drafted into the starting line-up.

A cool, crisp evening was far more suited to the Scots following the searing heat of Skopje and Burley was well aware there would be no excuses this time.

He was out of his dug-out within minutes of kick-off, urging his team forward, and they obliged.

Broadfoot delivered a cross from the right to Darren Fletcher but the Manchester United midfielder was denied the header by a timely clearance from Kristjan Sigurdsson.

At the other end Aaron Gunnarsson played a one-two with Birkir Saevarsson before unleashing a powerful angled drive that Craig Gordon did well to punch to safety.

The home nation continued to press and Gunnarsson supplied the cross and Heidar Helguson saw his header flash wide.

Gary Caldwell then made an excellent block to deny Helguson a shot before the ball broke to Gudjohnsen, who smashed over from close range.

Instead it was Scotland who had the net bulging with 19 minutes gone when Broadfoot met a Robson corner and steered home the opener at the near post from a few yards out.

Scotland could have added to their lead when Maloney swept the ball into the path of McFadden as he bore down on goal but Sigurdsson cleared before the Birmingham forward could unleash the shot.

With half-time approaching skipper McManus reacted quickly to clear off the line and deny Portsmouth's Hermann Hreidarsson the equaliser for the home nation.

Iceland had the bulk of possession after the restart as they attempted to haul themselves back into the tie but they found themselves with an even bigger task when Scotland added to their lead after 59 minutes.

McFadden was hauled down in the box by Sigurdsson as he chased a Fletcher free-kick and the referee immediately pointed to the penalty spot.

McFadden stepped up for the spot-kick himself and goalkeeper Kjartan Sturluson managed to block.

The taker and Robson both pounced on the rebound, with the Celtic midfielder appearing to have the last touch to prod over the line.

Just when it looked like they would cruise to victory, Scotland suffered a double setback when McManus was sent-off for deliberate handball and Iceland were awarded a penalty of their own.

Emil Hallfredsson delivered the cross intended for Helguson but McManus intercepted the move to push the ball out of play with his hand and the defender - 26th today - was a given a card he did not want.

Gudjohnsen then converted with ease from the spot when he rifled confidently past Gordon with 76 minutes on the clock.

There was then a late scare when a thunderous Helguson shot cannoned off Caldwell but 10-man Scotland held on for a much-needed win to maintain their 100% record against the host nation.

that was better. more urgency about us & maloney especially looked very sharp.

<deleted> was mcmanus playing at though? we were totally cruising before he handled.

Congratulation to scotland on real good win, think maybe could beat Thailand some day. Kit look good too.

I prefer watch real team mean England, but amateur Scot ok. jing jing, na.

that was better. more urgency about us & maloney especially looked very sharp.

<deleted> was mcmanus playing at though? we were totally cruising before he handled.

Congratulation to scotland on real good win, think maybe could beat Thailand some day. Kit look good too.

I prefer watch real team mean England, but amateur Scot ok. jing jing, na.

Dont get smart! :o

George Burley will be given time to prove himself as Scotland boss, says Gordon Smith

Sep 12 2008

SCOTISH Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith insists George Burley will be judged over the course of the World Cup qualifying campaign - not one match.

The Scotland manager was forced to endure intense criticism after last week's defeat in Macedonia, before easing the pressure with a 2-1 win in Iceland on Wednesday.

"There has never been anyone here doubting George Burley or thinking about a change in the management structure," Smith told a national newspaper.

"I've said all along he is here to try to take us to the World Cup finals in South Africa and that he would be judged over the course of the group campaign.

"He should be allowed that time before people make judgements or assessments.

"I cannot influence criticism from outside or people making snap decisions about the man in charge of our national team. But, for some of it to come after just one game was over the top.

"He has to be given time to adjust to international football, assess all the players he has available and, hopefully, come up with a winning formula."

Meanwhile, SFA president George Peat has re-iterated his opposition to Scottish players being considered for a GB Olympic football team in 2012.

"Some people are encouraging it, including the Prime Minister," Peat said.

"But I can tell you there is no intention whatsoever of us becoming part of team Great Britain.

"We made up our mind from day one that we didn't want any part of it and we will resist for as long as I'm here."

Home form can get Scotland to World Cup, says Darren Fletcher

Sep 12 2008 By Keith Jackson

TWO games down. Nearly 5000 miles clocked up already. Three points in the bag. Scotland's journey to South Africa 2010 is now officially on the road.

But Darren Fletcher suspects this quest of ours will not truly catch fire until football arrives back home on the south side of Glasgow.

Hampden will open up for business again next month when Norway come calling and Fletcher accepts already that three points on home soil are a must to keep the dream alive - and set Scotland up for a rampant run to the line with three more home fixtures to follow out of our last four Group 9 games.

After helping George Burley secure a crucial victory in Reykjavik onWednesday night, the Manchester United man said: "The schedule could still work in our favour.

"Hampden games bring a different level of expectation, though, perhaps even more so than away games.

"We have got to hang in there. We want to be within touching distance going into the second half of the group.

"There can be a lot of pressure at Hampden because we are expected to take the game to the opposition.

"Opponents will look at what we did in the last campaign, beating France and Ukraine, and they may sit back.

"Being the favourite can be tough. It is a new pressure and we have got to deal with it.

"But we don't want to have had three home games left out of four and have no chance of qualifying.

"We would hate to just have them left to play without a chance of reaching South Africa.

"If we can put ourselves into a decent position then knowing we need to win at home could be a huge incentive for us.

"Our position now is not too bad. If we had taken four points from two games I think we would have been more than happy.

"So we are a point adrift of that. It is down to a bit of bad luck because we didn't get a penalty in Skopje."

Ah Skopje. The very mention of the place still sends a shiver down the spine almost a week on from that horrendous opening-day defeat to Macedonia. But Scotland restored some pride on Wednesday night and, suddenly, Fletcher can feel the nation starting to believe again.

He continued: "We felt we had to win because we had dropped three points in Macedonia.

"Obviously it is brilliant when you win but it is sometimes regarded as a disaster when we lose.

"There is no in-between at times but we are used to that as Scotland players.

"It becomes something you have to be able to deal with. The boys did that on the park in Reykjavik. I think the performance spoke volumes.

"It is all well and good talking beforehand but we had to get something here and we've done that now. Everyone was magnificent out there and we really had to dig deep in the latter stages with 10 men."

Scotland's players worked hard for their breaks, of that there is no doubt.

But few could have felt just as emotionally drained as boss man Burley, who paced around his technical area for 90 minutes with his heart in his mouth and his neck on the block.

After blowing it in Macedonia, Burley stayed brave and bold but this time he got his tactics spot on, flooding his midfield with enough bodies to get the defensive job done but also attacking down each flank.

It's been a rough first week at the coalface for Burley but when the heat was on he delivered the victory all of Scotland demanded. Fletcher said: "The manager's selection was brave but I felt it was brave in Skopje. It did not quite work out over there.

"We felt if we made chances again then goals would come. We had crosses flashing across the box and when you do that sometimes things come from it.

"We did not quite get on the end of them all but we forced corners and made things happen. It was 4-3-3 and everyone was as positive as they could be.

"We wanted to close them down higher up the pitch and it worked. We were getting the ball wide and getting runners into the box.

"Of course we can qualify. There's a long way to go in the section but it was vital we won here.

"The chances of qualifying if we had lost to Iceland would have been slim. It would have made it very difficult but thankfully we've won here now and we are back in contention.

"We will look forward to the Norway game now."

And Fletcher's midfield buddy Barry Robson was also quick to big up a boss who had just survived the first major crisis of his Scotland career.

The Celtic man said: "I think over the piece we have done well this week. It was only the first half in Macedonia that let us down.

"But the boys are confident and we've shown everyone there is great togetherness in the squad.

"The manager has been great and the staff have been great. We know that we HAVE to qualify for the World Cup and everyone is in it together.

"We're here for Scotland and we all want the same thing. We're trying to take the country forward."

Robson - who picked up his fifth cap on Wednesday night - hopes to play a central part in Scotland's journey out of international wilderness.

But he too knows that it will all boil down to how Scotland utilise the melting pot of the National Stadium.

He said: "There's no doubt Hampden can be a big venue for us in this group now. It's important we all stick together and get the win against Norway.

"We need everyone to be together and support each other for the rest of this World Cup campaign.

"We want to have everyone behind us against Norway.

"It's all there for us now in terms of qualification. Let's get it together and keep moving in the right direction

Archived