Visa Run - 6 Month Tourist Visa Multi Entry

Hello Gents / Lady's,

My first 60 days are up on the 13th of May so I need to arrange either fight or visa run service.

Details are as follows;

Passport: Ireland

Visa: Tourist Visa - Triple Entry (Six Months) from embassy in London.

Can anyone please advise what is my best option for visa runs.

I would obviously prefer the minibus option if this is still available. I have seen various articles about a clampdown on same day re-entry, is this really the case?

I would assume the visa run companies and border control officers are working together.

Many thanks for your response in advance and I apologise if this information has been rehashed a million times already...........

You could get a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry at an immigration office for a 1900 baht fee.

There is no requirement for you be out of the country any amount of time to use the next entry of your tourist visa.. Perhaps confusion with doing back to back visa exempt entries that people incorrectly call tourist visas.

You can do a same day border run.

But if he does a border run, he will get an extra 60 days, not just 30 if visiting Immigration Office ?

....or are you saying that if he goes to Immigration Office after the 30 days expire, can he keep going back until his 6 months expire ? (ie, 60 days upon entry...then 4x30 at Immigration Office = 6 months)

Ubonjoe im in the same situation as dano22 which border run or flight in and out with a one day stop over would you with all your wisdom recommend thanks in anticipation

You can get almost 9 months of total stay from a 3 entry tourist visa by extending each entry for 30 days.

You just have to be sure you do the last entry on or before the enter before date on the visa.

When getting a tourist visa you should apply for it as near to your departure date as possible because the time the visa is valid for entry starts from the date it is issued.

But if he does a border run, he will get an extra 60 days, not just 30 if visiting Immigration Office ?

....or are you saying that if he goes to Immigration Office after the 30 days expire, can he keep going back until his 6 months expire ? (ie, 60 days upon entry...then 4x30 at Immigration Office = 6 months)

On the first entry on a Tourist visa he gets 60 days permission to stay. Towards the end of that (no need to wait until the last day) he can go to immigrations in Thailand to obtain a 30 day extension. Towards the end of his total 90 day stay (and before the expiration date on the visa) he will need to go out of the country and return to activate the second entry, so that he can get another 60 + 30 days.

The "six months" means it can be used for six months from the day it was issued at the embassy.

It's either a 1, 2, or 3 entry tourist visa. There are no multi-entry tourist visas. So he could make a total of 1 or 2 or 3 entries, not an endless number within 6 months.

Each entry could get him as much as 60 + 30 days, but he has to make sure the last border crossing is done before the actual visa expires...i,e, within 6 months of when it was issued.

• Like 1

No

You extend the first 60 day entry for 30 days then leave and re-enter the country to use the next entry and then extend that entry for 30 days and then use the 3rd entry on or before the enter before date on the visa and then extend that entry for 30 days.

The enter before date is just that it does not limit your stay to 6 months.

• Like 1

There are no multi-entry tourist visas. It's either a 1 or 2 or 3 entry.

Each entry can get him a maximum of 60 days + 30 day extension at immigrations = 90 day if he wants to get the most out of the visa. The 30 day extension can be applied for a week or so before the 60 days ends. You will still be given the full 60 +30 days even if you apply a bit early.

The last entry he can make (2nd or 3rd, depending on the visa he has) must be made before the visa expires ... the date printed on the visa sticker. The "six months" refers to how long the visa remains valid from the date it was issued at the embassy (not from the first time he entered Thailand).

VISA FEES AND VALIDITY

1. Single Entry Tourist Visa: €35

Validity of Visa: You must enter Thailand within 3 months from the date of issue

2. Double Entry Tourist Visa: €70

Validity of Visa: You must enter Thailand on your final visit within 6 months from the date of issue.

3. Triple Entry Tourist Visa: €105

Validity of Visa: You must enter Thailand on your final visit within 6 months from the date of issue.

Edited by Suradit69

As a first timer on a Visa run - I know its a strange world out there trying to figure out what is what. And if you JUST want to cross over and come back in a day - Here was my experience remembered.

The very first visa run I ever did I had the same questions in my mind - I decided on no good information and went to Lao (Vientiene) border crossing in/out = experience is fairly straight forward - train BKK to Nong Khai and the train station distance to border is even walk-able (turn left out the station and keep walking) and the In/out to Vientiane is not a hassle - But remember to take $35 US for the privileged of doing the run. You can do the crossing in the morning and hop on the sleeper near lunchtime back to BKK - or just get 50 Baht Tuk Tuk into Nong Khai and stay the night in a beautiful town

Next I did the Cambodian crossing Poipet - Do not even think out it! - Not a good experience - Read the posts for yourself - Doing the Cambodian crossing for the first time as an independent is not recommended - Or you could go on an organised Van that will take away the problems - But this does leave you less knowledgeable about the process.

Next - I took the train to BKK Malaysia - Its a long train ride, but it a sleeper and setting off at 5pm and arrival at scheduled 8:30am the time is not that relevant - The border is just so easy (and its FREE - no cost) - Get off the train and have a short wait time with fellow passengers and the In/Out is simply brilliant and without stress - Easy no thinking process (Useful if its your first time) - The only issue is you do have to catch the bus back to Hat Yai 20 miles back from where you just came - So walk up the stairs over the bridge and walk down to the Out border control for Malaysia - its about four hundred meters of walking here - But after going through the border and soon as you get to the main road cross over and catch the bus (one ever hour - last one is around 5pm - The many yellow buses are school buses - so do not worry that they just drive past). Back in Hat Yai catch the sleeper train back to BKK - last one is around 7pm or obviously stay the night in Hat Yai.

If I look back at the early experience of options and wanting to recommend the easiest (not the fastest) it would be the Malaysian train journey - It does take a lot longer, but for a first time (if you want to do as an independent) it has the advantage of being the easiest to figure out (Since you simply leave the train and there is the border crossing out of Thailand withing tens of meters - And Into Malaysia is 20 meters further on) and there is not a payment required like there is at every other border crossing. If you just want it over and done with - And do not care about the process then pay the extra and go on a Van / Bus run to Cambodia - so you will be taken care of by people that do this every day of the week protecting you from all the scams and its the shortest time of travel from BKK.

After you done a your first border - You will be more confident for the next - And then an expert after a few more - So Good luck and enjoy your first time.

Visa run to the myanmar (Burmese) border is the fastest and most convenient from bangkok and never any problems. Cambodia is a headache avoid that at all costs.

Need a little help here, Which boarder crossing do you use for Burmese?? I usually go to P2 but like you say, it's a headache all the way. I do go by car so any help would be welcomed. Also a change would be nice. I believe the tracks going through Kanchanaburi , Death Railway, no longer goes to Burma

• 11 months later...

You can get almost 9 months of total stay from a 3 entry tourist visa by extending each entry for 30 days.

You just have to be sure you do the last entry on or before the enter before date on the visa.

When getting a tourist visa you should apply for it as near to your departure date as possible because the time the visa is valid for entry starts from the date it is issued.

You appear to be the one who understands this issue so help please if you can.

I have a 6 month tourist visa issued in Canada in mid December with 3 re entries. I have used two.

I must depart Phuket on or before April 30th. I have a ticket to Canada on May 17th. Can I get an extension of stay on the last 60 day (that expires on the 30th ) so that I do not have to exit on the 30th, then re enter to depart on the 17th? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 6 month tourist visa issued in Canada in mid December with 3 re entries. I have used two.

I must depart Phuket on or before April 30th. I have a ticket to Canada on May 17th. Can I get an extension of stay on the last 60 day (that expires on the 30th ) so that I do not have to exit on the 30th, then re enter to depart on the 17th? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

You can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration. You can apply for it at the Patong office.

Do I understand you correctly? You received an old-style triple entry tourist visa (not the new multiple entry tourist visa) in Canada in mid-December 2015? That is, number of entries specifies "3" and not "M"?

Correct. I have a 6 month and it is marked TR not M. I was told in Canada I could have 3 re entries. I want to avoid flying out before the 30th of April and returning to fly out again on the 17th of May. Udon Joe replied I could get a 30 day extension at the Patong office., I hope before the 30th. Can you confirm this? Thanks.

Correct. I have a 6 month and it is marked TR not M. I was told in Canada I could have 3 re entries. I want to avoid flying out before the 30th of April and returning to fly out again on the 17th of May. Udon Joe replied I could get a 30 day extension at the Patong office., I hope before the 30th. Can you confirm this? Thanks.

TR is is for the visa type. The M would be in the space for number of entries allowed. I assume you have a 3 there.

You can apply for the 30 day extension a week before the 30th if you want to. There will be absolutely no problem getting it.

You can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration. You can apply for it at the Patong office.

Spot on thanks for this. I went to Patong Immigration this morning. They were very helpful and immediately told me I could get a 30 day extension for a tourist visa. However in the process of filling out the application they actually looked at the 6 month visa and the entry I had already used. A lot of Thai talk back and forth between two officers I could not follow, then a check in a little red book of dates, followed by an on line search of the visa type and more talk. After what seemed to take forever as they then turned their attention to easier paperwork for others waiting for 90 day reports,out came the stamps, a great Thai smile and an affirmation I could extend my visa until May 30, another 30 days. Apparently there was uncertainty

about if I had to use the last re entry before they would extend it. This was exactly my original concern. I did show them my plane ticket for the 17th so in the end I still don't know if it's standard practice to extend a 6 month another 30 days before it expires or they were just being very helpful. Thanks for the advice.

Spot on thanks for this. I went to Patong Immigration this morning. They were very helpful and immediately told me I could get a 30 day extension for a tourist visa. However in the process of filling out the application they actually looked at the 6 month visa and the entry I had already used. A lot of Thai talk back and forth between two officers I could not follow, then a check in a little red book of dates, followed by an on line search of the visa type and more talk. After what seemed to take forever as they then turned their attention to easier paperwork for others waiting for 90 day reports,out came the stamps, a great Thai smile and an affirmation I could extend my visa until May 30, another 30 days. Apparently there was uncertainty

about if I had to use the last re entry before they would extend it. This was exactly my original concern. I did show them my plane ticket for the 17th so in the end I still don't know if it's standard practice to extend a 6 month another 30 days before it expires or they were just being very helpful. Thanks for the advice.

I doubt there was "uncertainty" any 60 day entry gained from a tourist visa can be extended by 30 days and is a routine task undertaken every day by the IO's in Patong.