Western Style Chinese Food

Phrafarang

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did you ever go to the blue moon restaurant

Because the food was so good and the style so unusual, it was worth paying $50 per person every once in a while, but not every day.

I ate at Masa's once when it a in it's heyday. I think it was about $200 per person (25 years ago). It was so good that I never regretted it, but I did not have a strong urge to do it again.

http://www.masasrestaurant.com/masas_menu_seven_course.htm

Edited by Ulysses G.

how was the food in the less expensive Chinese restaurant and how often did you eat there

Really good, but not the same quality as the more expensive ones. I ate in one of them almost every day. There were a lot of good, cheap Chinese places in SF.

My favorite was a cafeteria type place that also did fresh food, right next door to the Sheraton Palace Hotel on the 2nd floor. It was always packed with Asian office workers from the financial district and you had to wait in line. My favorite dish was almond chicken. Boy do I miss that place.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Dear All Friends

If you would like to have Western Style Chinese Food, Try Passionate Chiang Mai.

The restaurant has lots of Chinese Food on it's menu such as Sweet and Sour Pork, Coffee Chicken and amazingly they made pork in orange juice.

The restaurant is clean and prices are reasonable.

I ate Sweet and sour pork and it was heavenly, the best I have found in Chiang Mai.

Check their facebook for the location "Passionate Chiang Mai".post-238698-0-41320400-1432374898_thumb.

According to Trip Advisor, Passionate Chiang Mai.is owned by Singaporeans - good sign - and is on Huay Kaew Road. Does anyone know what that is close to or anything else about it??

I've seen that coffee chicken on menus in Singapore. Good stuff.

Just found this place and really like it. Passionate Chiang Mai

Location: Huay Kaew Road across street from Malin Hotel (near The Boat restaurant)

Exact directions: https://www.facebook.com/Passionate.ChiangMai

Menu: https://www.facebook.com/download/1751431118416991/P8%20-%20Full%20Menu%20-%20Web%20file%20FV.pdf

I missed this somehow. It should answer my questions. Coffee chicken doesn't sound good, but that does not mean that it isn't.

Dear All Friends

If you would like to have Western Style Chinese Food, Try Passionate Chiang Mai.

The restaurant has lots of Chinese Food on it's menu such as Sweet and Sour Pork, Coffee Chicken and amazingly they made pork in orange juice.

I ate Sweet and sour pork and it was heavenly, the best I have found in Chiang Mai.

Check their facebook for the location "Passionate Chiang Mai".attachicon.gifSingapore Chilly Crabs.jpg

Yes, this place is very good. Spoke to the owner, all ingredients are bought fresh daily. No MSG. The food is the best Chinese I've had in Thailand. There are many dishes that the westerner will recognize and enjoy. If you want dumplings you may want to call ahead and order them. They do not even make the dough until the dumplings are ordered. Talk about fresh. Most dishes are between 80 and 150 baht. There are some that much higher, but it is mostly seafood dishes. If fresh seafood is being bought daily, that could explain why. In my opinion, if you are looking for the best Chinese food in Chiang Mai, this is the place to go.

Dear All Friends

Check their facebook for the location "Passionate Chiang Mai".attachicon.gifSingapore Chilly Crabs.jpg

Yes, this place is very good. Spoke to the owner, all ingredients are bought fresh daily. No MSG. The food is the best Chinese I've had in Thailand. There are many dishes that the westerner will recognize and enjoy. If you want dumplings you may want to call ahead and order them. They do not even make the dough until the dumplings are ordered. Talk about fresh. Most dishes are between 80 and 150 baht. There are some that much higher, but it is mostly seafood dishes. If fresh seafood is being bought daily, that could explain why. In my opinion, if you are looking for the best Chinese food in Chiang Mai, this is the place to go.

Yes, next on my list to try. Been getting numerous ads from them on social media. Sounds/looks very good.

Hong Kong Lucky was O.K., nothing special. I think I put a review somewhere on one of these threads. Main complaint: slow as molasses! They even brought one soup at a time (we ordered 3 of the same). Ridiculous.

The centre of gastronomic delight is Britain! The Thais here can't cook Thai food like in England; the Chinese food here is not a patch on the stuff you can eat in UK. The same is true of Indian curries - I lived near Burnley/Bradford/Manchester and can't get proper stuff in Pattaya.

Heaven Is Where:
The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time
Hell is Where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

The centre of gastronomic delight is Britain! The Thais here can't cook Thai food like in England; the Chinese food here is not a patch on the stuff you can eat in UK. The same is true of Indian curries - I lived near Burnley/Bradford/Manchester and can't get proper stuff in Pattaya.

Heaven Is Where:
The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time
Hell is Where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Dear All Friends

Yes, next on my list to try. Been getting numerous ads from them on social media. Sounds/looks very good.

Hong Kong Lucky was O.K., nothing special. I think I put a review somewhere on one of these threads. Main complaint: slow as molasses! They even brought one soup at a time (we ordered 3 of the same). Ridiculous.

My experience at Hong Kong was totally the opposite, we were 5 ppl and the food came out in a more then timely manner. But I'm well aware of how we can have different experiences and also how inconsistent restaurants can be here.

As I posted all Passionate's ads are not thought out resulting that they can't handle the biz, I know some food sites have now banned them for over posting and not respecting their requests. It hurts their credibility and makes anything they claim more difficult to swallow. I'll try before I believe anything at this point but am hesitant at this point to even do that. It's a shame if they put out a good product but don't know or listen how to present it to the public while getting the word out. Less is more in many aspects of the food industry!!

Wleong, with all do respects I see you have only joined TV yesterday and posted about Passionate restaurant that sounds like an ad I was wondering if you have any thing to do with it more then just being a customer?

I'm finally on the way back from a grueling work schedule

If it's Singaporean and Chinese Hahahhaah I will be able to give a decent critique of it

Be back next week :) will post soon ...the chili crabs on that pic does look good :) and I just had some last night

New isan cafe on nimmanhamin, just down the street from the Salad Concept.. The wife and I decided to give it a try.. Upon entering, nice, clean well decorated place, so that was as good as it gets... Ordered three dishes, roasted chicken, Som Tum with crab and spicy pork soup..

The chicken was cold, and I'm pretty sure it was from yesterday, the fresh crab was not fresh, the pork soup was mostly bamboo, ginger, and tiny bits of pork trim, not good, and the rice was cold and also not fresh.. The wife knows good food, she grew up there..

We usually go to Solaoon Sirimangkalajarn, or to one of the many great Gai young places around town, but we wanted to try the new place close to our condo.. I think it's the same people that had the ramen place that was there before, which closed after about three months..

Unless they step up the quality of the food there, I'll say they'll be closed in six months..