Phuket rocked by quake in early hours

webfact

Phuket rocked by quake in early hours
The Phuket News

PHUKET: Residents across the island were awoken by a rumbling at about 4.15am this morning.

Residents from Pakklok to Patong, Kathu and Thalang reported a loud rumbling, animals howling and lightning flashes. According to the USGS, it was a 4.3 on the RS, with an epicentre 19km southeast of Ban Phlu Nai village, about 36km off Phuket.

Meanwhile Thai media reports a 4.6 RS quake just south of Koh Yai that was felt across the entire Phang Nga Bay, in Phang Nga and Krabi. http://www.thairath.co.th/content/497091 Residents on The Phuket News Facebook page also reported seeing lighting in Kathu and Chalong at the time of the quake. No tsunami warning has been issued.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-rocked-by-quake-in-early-hours-52172.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-06

4.6-magnitude earthquake happens in Phuket sea
The Nation

PHUKET: -- A 4.6-magnitude earthquake happened in the sea near Koh Yao southwest of Mueang Phuket district at 4.18 am, the Seismology Bureau announced.

The epicenter was 10 kilometers deep. The quake was also felt in Krabi and Phang Nga. No tsunami warning was issued.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/4-6-magnitude-earthquake-happens-in-Phuket-sea-30259406.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-06

It woke me up in Kata. First time I've felt a quake in Phuket. Slightly shaky house for about ten seconds then all over. Until I heard about the quake this morning wasn't sure if it was real or a dream

That's the third, and biggest, quake in this area this year.

Considering these tremors are centred only about 15 miles east of where I sit, should we start to be concerned?

There's some info in this thread. It's a minor fault line but has been quite active recently

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727280-keep-an-eye-on-local-quake-fault-line-disaster-expert-warns-phuket/

The lights that comes with earthquakes are still a phenomenon researched. One hypothesis (to which I subscribe) is that huge rock beds that move with an earthquake generate friction electric charge (or ionization) that then creates the lightning as current goes from the earth rock layer up to the upper atmosphere.

Lightning has nothing to do with earthquakes.

Actually it can though not actually atmospheric lightning. Unless National Geographic has it wrong. wink.png

How Earthquake Lights Form

Over the past few years, various theories have been proposed for how earthquake lights form, including the disruption of the Earth's magnetic field by tectonic stress and the so-called piezoelectric effect, in which quartz-bearing rocks produce voltages when compressed in a certain way.

But Freund and colleagues now report that what causes earthquake lights appears to be an entirely different electrical process.

"When nature stresses certain rocks, electric charges are activated, as if you switched on a battery in the Earth's crust," he says.

The types of rocks that are particularly given to the phenomenon are basalts and gabbros, which have tiny defects in their crystals. When a seismic wave hits, electrical charges in the rocks may be released.

In some areas, basalts and gabbros are present in vertical structures called dikes, which formed as magma cooled along vertical faults and may reach as deep as 60 miles (97 kilometers) underground. These dikes may funnel electrical charges along, the scientists wrote.

More at National Geographic - Bizarre Earthquake Lights Finally Explained

Lightning has nothing to do with earthquakes.

Actually it can though not actually atmospheric lightning. Unless National Geographic has it wrong. wink.png

How Earthquake Lights Form

Over the past few years, various theories have been proposed for how earthquake lights form, including the disruption of the Earth's magnetic field by tectonic stress and the so-called piezoelectric effect, in which quartz-bearing rocks produce voltages when compressed in a certain way.

But Freund and colleagues now report that what causes earthquake lights appears to be an entirely different electrical process.

"When nature stresses certain rocks, electric charges are activated, as if you switched on a battery in the Earth's crust," he says.

The types of rocks that are particularly given to the phenomenon are basalts and gabbros, which have tiny defects in their crystals. When a seismic wave hits, electrical charges in the rocks may be released.

In some areas, basalts and gabbros are present in vertical structures called dikes, which formed as magma cooled along vertical faults and may reach as deep as 60 miles (97 kilometers) underground. These dikes may funnel electrical charges along, the scientists wrote.

More at National Geographic - Bizarre Earthquake Lights Finally Explained

And are those earthquake lights similar in appearance to lightning?

Felt it here up in the Jungle in Phang Nga.

Woke me up with a loud rumbling sound like a big freight truck speeding past the house.

House didn't shake, just heaved to one side in one big motion.

Woke the girl to tell her and she said I dreamed it...

Old Croc. If you are worried about future quakes you should get out of Phuket and move up to the jungle like I did. Nothing to fall on my head here except coconuts.

And...with respect to the lives lost previously, Patong could do with another good rinse.