Outbound Immigration Clearance Delays/Times

Departing swampy around 0900 Tuesday. How much time do I need to plan on getting thru immigration etc at that time of the day. The last time I did it ( a few years ago admittedly) it took ages.

Maybe a better question is what time do I need to leave SILOM area to catch a 0900 Emirates A380 flight where I MUST check-in at the desk, even though it is hand luggage only. ?

Helpful comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation!

PS I cannot do an online boarding card etc. for lots of reasons which do not concern us at this time.

I last flew out on the 27th April. I was on Thai and got to the airport early. No queue at check-in so took a couple of minutes. About 5 mins at security as some farang couldn't remember all the bits of metal he had in various pockets and an Indian upset the staff by trying to jump the queue. Immigration was very quick less than 5 mins again.

Can't guarantee that your experience should be the same and that was the quietest I've ever seen the departures and lounges.

Departing swampy around 0900 Tuesday. How much time do I need to plan on getting thru immigration etc at that time of the day. The last time I did it ( a few years ago admittedly) it took ages.

Maybe a better question is what time do I need to leave SILOM area to catch a 0900 Emirates A380 flight where I MUST check-in at the desk, even though it is hand luggage only. ?

Thanks in anticipation!

PS I cannot do an online boarding card etc. for lots of reasons which do not concern us at this time.

Unless you are in Business class + the line for counter checkin will be hideous, at least an hour just for that unless you arrive early. I would plan on being at the airport at 06:15.

Thanks in anticipation!

Unless you are in Business class + the line for counter checkin will be hideous, at least an hour just for that unless you arrive early. I would plan on being at the airport at 06:15.

Have you done it recently? I have a few times and the Thai check-in counters have been empty. Sometimes noone in front of me, sometimes a couple of people. I was really surprised the first time as I usually expect a nightmare at Thai check-in (I usually avoid flying Thai at all costs) but it has been that way every time I've been through recently.

My employer uses Thai almost exclusively.

I aim to arrive at the airport just as check-in opens (3 hours) in case of delays en-route.

I've not experienced significant delays at check-in, security or immigration in recent months, usually in the pub within an hour of arriving at the airport.

I would much rather be sitting with a cold beer and free internet than worrying that I'd miss my flight by being stuck in a queue.

My employer uses Thai almost exclusively.

I aim to arrive at the airport just as check-in opens (3 hours) in case of delays en-route.

I've not experienced significant delays at check-in, security or immigration in recent months, usually in the pub within an hour of arriving at the airport.

I would much rather be sitting with a cold beer and free internet than worrying that I'd miss my flight by being stuck in a queue.

While I generally agree, I'll pass on beer for breakfast...

Check-in counter time really depends on the airline and time of day. Last flight I took on Emirates, there was one A380 plus one 777-300er leaving within a couple of hours of one another. According to the agent, both flights were full. With 485 seats on the A380 and 360 seats on the 777, that means more than 800 passengers. The queue was horrendous.

Last time when I was at Suv I saw that there are two entries to the immigration.

The one on the far right side (a short walk) was much less busy.

"Right" seen from the entrance.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Check-in counter time really depends on the airline and time of day. Last flight I took on Emirates, there was one A380 plus one 777-300er leaving within a couple of hours of one another. According to the agent, both flights were full. With 485 seats on the A380 and 360 seats on the 777, that means more than 800 passengers. The queue was horrendous.

That is what I have seen at the Emirates counter. People in costumes of all nations, for some just boarding an escalator is a frightening novel experience. Heavily burdened by enormous parcels, and carts overflowing with various surplus baggage. Large groups and Hyperactive kids everywhere. If I was flying economy class I would make an effort to be ahead of that horrendous queue of a counter check-in nightmare. Edited by arunsakda

That is what I have seen at the Emirates counter. People in costumes of all nations, for some just boarding an escalator is a frightening novel experience. Heavily burdened by enormous parcels, and carts overflowing with various surplus baggage. Large groups and Hyperactive kids everywhere. If I was flying economy class I would make an effort to be ahead of that horrendous queue of a counter check-in nightmare.

Yes, and the check-in madness was not the end of it. I was on the fully booked A380 flight, and the 485 passengers at the boarding gate were another challenge. I was fortunate enough to be in business class, but when I arrived, it was impossible to reach the business/first boarding door with the mass of humanity all pressing hard to be certain they were at the front of the queue. I suppose they were concerned about being left behind on the ground if they were not first to board?

Gate lice......

• 2 weeks later...

Have just made the trip and thought I would update on the actuals.

0550 Left hotel in Silom (Hotel Taxi - desk advised 0600 checkout - 0630 they said would be too late)

0620 Arrived Airport

0630 check-in desk opens. no other pax

0640 Security check - 2 lanes 5 in each

0645 Immigration - same

0650 All done waiting for flight.

0910 Roll Back - on time flight not full!

Thanks for all the helpfull advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Tip from Mike Tyndal, ex England rugby union player, married to Zara Phillips, niece of Queen Elizabeth, turn up late at check in, wave boarding pass about at immigration / security, saying I am late and going to miss my flight, get sent to front of queue.

Note, I have been to many countries and its only Thailand where you have to Queue to LEAVE the country!!

Tip from Mike Tyndal, ex England rugby union player, married to Zara Phillips, niece of Queen Elizabeth, turn up late at check in, wave boarding pass about at immigration / security, saying I am late and going to miss my flight, get sent to front of queue.

Note, I have been to many countries and its only Thailand where you have to Queue to LEAVE the country!!

Really? In which country do you not have to queue (at checkin, Security, Immigration) when leaving the country???

In the Philippines & Indonesia you even need to pay hard cash to leave the country (though I believe they've recently stopped this in Indonesia, will find out on Sunday).

JB, I should have said immigration as Thailand is the worst I have ever experienced anywhere as millions of tourists have found out.

I do travel extensively in SE Asia and elsewhere. Just came back from Australia, breezed through immigration In 10 secs.

Yeah, Immigration can be bad in & out in Thailand, last trip to Phuket I had over 1 hours queuing on the way in & 30-40 mins on the way out... Though on my trip to BKK after that there were no queues so straight through & the wait was for the luggage.

Lol, not as bad as Bali, in November I stood in the Immigration queue waiting (>2 hours) to get in about the same amount of time as I did flying there (from Singapore), returned mid-May & I was through in 10-15mins.

Luck of the draw I guess :(

Edited by JB300

whistling.gif I travel with a wheelchair. Sometimes with a long queue they check me in through the business class check in, if economy class check-in is really busy.

Boarding the plane is not a problem as they usually let me be the first to board even before the

families with children and the business class.

Often I get wheeled through the security check and the immigration in the priority lane.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

To experience the ultimate in expedited processing one can get the Thailand Elite card for 500,000 baht. If you are from a member nation you can get a APEC business travel card also. For US it is $70 for 3 years validity.

Edited by arunsakda

To experience the ultimate in expedited processing one can get the Thailand Elite card for 500,000 baht. If you are from a member nation you can get a APEC business travel card also. For US it is $70 for 3 years validity.

How does somebody from the U.S. Get one???...

" The ABTC participating economies are Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, the Russian Federation, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. "

Thanks, I looked at it when I lived in Singapore but according to the information on their sites I (as a UK citizen but U.S. Weren't on there either) couldn't apply for one so maybe I needed to apply in the UK.

Will check again here in Malaysia & in UK.

Thanks again

JB

Edit: Quick Google & no joy for me (British) but it seems US & Canada have recently joined & citizens have been eligible since Jun 2014 / Oct 2013...

"Two economies are transitional members: United States and Canada. This permits them to issue ABTCs to their own citizens and nationals so that they can take advantage of expedited visa appointment and immigration clearance procedures in other economies, but without their citizens and nationals enjoying additional visa-free travel, or having to grant visa-free travel status to holders of APEC cards issued by other participating economies.

The U.S. began accepting applications for ABTCs in June 2014, while Canada announced in October 2013 that it would begin a limited-participation trial programme."

My 2cents... get one if you travel around the region (wish I could get one [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17])...

Edited by JB300

Thanks, I looked at it when I lived in Singapore but according to the information on their sites I (as a UK citizen but U.S. Weren't on there either) couldn't apply for one so maybe I needed to apply in the UK.

Will check again here in Malaysia & in UK.

Thanks again

JB

Edit: Quick Google & no joy for me (British) but it seems US & Canada have recently joined & citizens have been eligible since Jun 2014 / Oct 2013...

"Two economies are transitional members: United States and Canada. This permits them to issue ABTCs to their own citizens and nationals so that they can take advantage of expedited visa appointment and immigration clearance procedures in other economies, but without their citizens and nationals enjoying additional visa-free travel, or having to grant visa-free travel status to holders of APEC cards issued by other participating economies.

The U.S. began accepting applications for ABTCs in June 2014, while Canada announced in October 2013 that it would begin a limited-participation trial programme."

My 2cents... get one if you travel around the region (wish I could get one [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17])...

You can be a citizen of any country, but if you are a permanent resident of an APEC country, you can apply for an ABTC in that country. For example, I have several friends who are permanent residents in HKG, carry UK passports, but they have Hong Kong ABTC cards. Unfortunately, this would not apply to many expats in Thailand; however, if you do have Thai residence, then presumably Thailand would issue you one.

US$70 for three years of unlimited Fast Track departures and arrivals in any APEC country is not a bad deal at all.

Edited by bubba