Looks like the Baht getting weaker.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs to go to 40-USD

I remember the days of 75 to the pound, not much chance of seeing that again. We had 55 last year so maybe 60 is not out of the question.

The dollar is a different story altogether. The Yuan may very well send it the other way.

Needs to go to 40-USD

I remember the days of 75 to the pound, not much chance of seeing that again. We had 55 last year so maybe 60 is not out of the question.

The dollar is a different story altogether. The Yuan may very well send it the other way.

Depending on the jobs report tomorrow the USD may well send itself back the other way - unfortunately.

Needs to go to 40-USD

Depending on the jobs report tomorrow the USD may well send itself back the other way - unfortunately.

US job report... Grexit... UK election results... further interest reductions in Thailand... too many unclear parameters for an outlook of more than a week...

This is not something that comes out of the blue sky on a cloudless day. The fact, that Thailand has lost some of it's competitiveness within S/E Asia can hardly come as a big surprise to an alert observer.

A modest correction (an adjustment) reflecting this fact is currently taking place.

- Longer term (among other things, but mainly) countries that have economic growth potential will be the future "Hard-Currencies" oft the world..

What was the economic growth-rate in Europe/ US? Ranging from minus 0.25 to plus 1 5 %. Wow! China had a bad year, only plus 7 %.

On what horse will you place your bet longer term? The European / US horse that is dead and will not come alive again, no matter how long they try to flog the dead horse.

The medicine of issuing interest- free money to major banks (no interest) to be lent out to small to mid-sized companies , hoping to revive the death horses in Europe and the US have failed miserably.

Clouds over the economical sky? Yes, but less cloudy over the S/E Asian skies .

Cheers.

This is not something that comes out of the blue sky on a cloudless day. The fact, that Thailand has lost some of it's competitiveness within S/E Asia can hardly come as a big surprise to an alert observer.

A modest correction (an adjustment) reflecting this fact is currently taking place.

- Longer term (among other things, but mainly) countries that have economic growth potential will be the future "Hard-Currencies" oft the world..

What was the economic growth-rate in Europe/ US? Ranging from minus 0.25 to plus 1 5 %. Wow! China had a bad year, only plus 7 %.

On what horse will you place your bet longer term? The European / US horse that is dead and will not come alive again, no matter how long they try to flog the dead horse.

The medicine of issuing interest- free money to major banks (no interest) to be lent out to small to mid-sized companies , hoping to revive the death horses in Europe and the US have failed miserably.

Cheers.

less cloudy over the S/E Asian skies

but bond yields that make you cry sick.gif

whistling.gif I posted another post yesterday...... but again my dollar pension finally cleared to my Bangkok Bank account on the 7th of May

Delayed from the 4th of May due to Holidays.

Actual dollar to Baht rate according to my calculations was 32.6633 Baht per dollar.

51.9 to the GBP as I write, on the back of the early results of the UK election

Happy days....

Yes, jumped a bit at the time the polls closed.

Got my pension this morning, that must have been calculated in the afternoon, only got 50.38. Lowest it has ever been compared to Superrich, currently 51.5.

Happy days....

Got my pension this morning, that must have been calculated in the afternoon, only got 50.38. Lowest it has ever been compared to Superrich, currently 51.5.

50.38 looks like the TT buy exchange rate from 7th morning, at least the one shown on the SCB home page... this morning, SCB started with a TT buy of 51.25 and currently (latest) of 51.59

I use this page and if you select a single currency, it will show you the changes during the day(s)

Happy days....

50.38 looks like the TT buy exchange rate from 7th morning, at least the one shown on the SCB home page... this morning, SCB started with a TT buy of 51.25 and currently (latest) of 51.59

I use this page and if you select a single currency, it will show you the changes during the day(s)

My pension is on direct payment from the DWP so the rate is what they get in the UK before it is sent to my Thai bank.

Cheers.

------------------------------------------

If the U.S. government ever changes to start paying my pension in Yuan I'll take it, but I doubt it will happen soon.

I presume it will still be paid in U.S. dollars for the time being.

I doubt they will switch to another currency just for me.

whistling.gif I posted another post yesterday...... but again my dollar pension finally cleared to my Bangkok Bank account on the 7th of May

Delayed from the 4th of May due to Holidays.

Actual dollar to Baht rate according to my calculations was 32.6633 Baht per dollar.

I received 33.12 the day before....and it rose on the 7th. You should have received 33.18.

Did you account for the fees in doing your calculations?

My Pattaya TGF (our third year together) is following the unexpected present Euro rise against the THB very closely.
A month ago I promised to buy her a Toyota Yaris Sportivo (629k) as soon as the Euro would get to 40 ... smile.png

Anyway, I need to make a Euro transfer very soon for living expenses so I'm quite happy with 37.5 and above after the depressing previous 35 or so.

My Pattaya TGF (our third year together) is following the unexpected present Euro rise against the THB very closely.

A month ago I promised to buy her a Toyota Yaris Sportivo (629k) as soon as the Euro would get to 40 ... smile.png

Anyway, I need to make a Euro transfer very soon for living expenses so I'm quite happy with 37.5 and above after the depressing previous 35 or so.

SIR

That is nothing, i promised to buy my mia noi a house if the gbp rose to 60, happy days, not

Expect USD/THB to go to 34 after a decent non-farm payrolls report. And then to 36 in 2016 as the U.S. begins to raise interest rates. That's my opinion and take it for what its worth.

Weakening is no surprise after comments by government officials last week about declining exports. The one way to increase exports quickly is to devalue the currency. Vietnam just did this yesterday to improve its export market. My guess is that the Bank of Thailand is behind this drop in the baht and will probably start to intervene to protect it when it hits around 33.50 or 34 to the dollar.

Thailand isn't admitting it but they are racing to the bottom along with other countries. Cut interest rate by 25 basis points to 1.50% earlier this week, but more importantly they eased capital controls making it easier to sell baht for other currency's and take it from Thailand. This allows institutional investors to more easily book profits from gains in the SET and expatriate them. When they do this they need to sell Baht, which will lead to a depreciating currency. This is the easiest method for the BoT since they have to deal with a currency that isn't a freely floating currency.

Right now I need a strong baht , will be travelling soon and all my savings are in a Thai bank .

TOUGH LUCK My money is in gb pounds and have waited a long time watching the THB get stronger. A downward spiral would be nice

The Thai elite held the baht high against the US dollar long enough for them to move their funds out of Thailand.

Now that that task has been completed, the baht will now be encouraged to freefall.

When did your spies from the happy hour bar divulge this secrete information to you Bulldozer..gigglem.gif