Mass Thai police transfer after Rohinya tragedy surfaces

webfact

Mass police transfer after Rohinya tragedy surfaces

7-5-2558-11-06-35-wpcf_728x388.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner today ordered a mass transfer of 38 police officers from Satun, Ranong and Songkhla to the Royal Thai Police Operation Centre in Bangkok after they were held responsible for allowing human trafficking to happen in their respective areas of responsibilities.

At the same time Army commander-in-chief Gen Udomdej Sitabutr also ordered immediate transfer of an Army colonel

These police officers from junior to senior police officers at the ranks of police sergeant major to police colonel are working in the immigration offices in these southern provinces, in the Anti Human Trafficking Division of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB), and in the Marine Police Command.

Of the 38 officers faced immediate transfer are 13 immigration police officers, six anti human trafficking police, seven marine police, while the rest are senior and junior police officers of Ranong and Satun provinces.

Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumphanmuang attributed the facilitation of investigation into Rohinya human trafficking by other police agencies as reason of the mass transfer.

All were ordered to report to the Royal Thai Police Operation Centre by 4.00 pm today.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan said the army chief has ordered immediate transfer of an army colonel from the southern area, and vowed to pursue legal and disciplinary actions against all officers involved.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mass-police-transfer-after-rohinya-tragedy-surfaces

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-07

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 police officers transferred following finding of Rohingya death camps
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Somyos Pumphanmuang Wednesday issued an order to transfer 38 police officers in southern provinces to inactive posts at the Royal Thai Police headquarters following the finding of Rohingya death camps in Songkhla and Satun.

The transferred officers included immigration officers in Satun, Ranong, and Songkhla as well as marine police and officers of local police stations. The officers were ordered to report to the headquarters Thursday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/38-police-officers-transferred-following-finding-o-30259498.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-07

Good.

The discovery of these mass graves is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Why don't they just say these officers have been fired? Why say 'moved to an inactive post'?

Perhaps they have not been fired yet.

There is always the little matter of proof of what they have supposedly done before thaey can be charged with a crime.

They can however be transferred to a place where they can do little damage and an eye can be kept on them.

No surprises here. Any long term expat that reads the news knew the police

were in this up their necks. How sickening....... Put these turds into jail.

These inactive posts and transfers are making Thailand the laughing stock

of the world.

Because they aren't fired. They keep their rank and paycheck in exchange for not ratting out the big fish.

That is a bit premature.. they are transferred away so they cant interfere with the investigation. Who knows what will happen if they are found to be guilty.

Unless of course you expect stuff to be crystal clear right away.

Is that the norm in the USA to just throw someone in jail and find out later if they are guilty ? Where I come from people are put on non-active so they can't come to work during the investigation. Here they transfer them out before the investigation commences.

In your wish to bash Thailand logic seems to escape you.

You can bash Thailand all you want if the investigation does not yield any convictions (and I will join you then) now its a bit premature.

38 police officers accused of Rohingya trafficking transferred to idle posts

BANGKOK, 7 May 2015 (NNT) - 38 police officers believed to have been involved in the trafficking of Rohingyas have been transferred to the Royal Thai Police Operations Center, while the investigation is still underway.

According to Royal Thai Police Chief Police General Somyos Pumpanmuang, new police officers will be appointed to fill those vacancies, while the 38 officers in question will remain at the Police Operations Center for the duration of the investigation.

Some of those suspected of accommodating human trafficking included high-ranking police officers, such as superintendents and sub-inspectors.

Other officers held positions in immigration, anti-human trafficking and marine police divisions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-07 footer_n.gif

dismiss them all, they have proved themselves to be absolutely useless and maybe complicit in the crimes committed, how are they going to be of any use anywhere else..........fire them

One of the main factors for the downgrade in the TIP report, Thai govt officials, police and military personnel are known to be complicit and profiting from trafficking in humans. As well as, there has been no convictions of an of those mentioned above.

Even though this would be a excellent opportunity for the Thai govt to show the US how serious they say they are. Call it cynical or realistic, But other than a short stint at the inactive post office, these guys will be free to continue on with their disgusting ways. Just in a different location.

Good.

Why don't they just say these officers have been fired? Why say 'moved to an inactive post'?

There is always the little matter of proof of what they have supposedly done before thaey can be charged with a crime.

They can however be transferred to a place where they can do little damage and an eye can be kept on them.

I'd still fire them for incompetence.

If later found to be involved then gaol them.

If there is sufficient evidence, they should be charged in court of law, and relieved of

duty. Bail may or may not be set depending on the severity of the charges. If found

guilty, then straight to jail. If found innocent, then reinstated to duty, and back pay

given to them. Pretty sure this is how it works in the real world.

In Thailand it is like a joke. Transferred to an inactive post when caught with full

pay, the story fades away, and then they are quietly moved back to the same post.

No wonder there is so much corruption when getting caught means almost

nothing.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ten more suspects sought for alleged involvement in Rohingya trafficking

7-5-2558-15-16-44-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Warrants have been issued for the arrest of ten more people suspected of involvement in the trafficking of Rohingya people into the country for profits.

Adding up to earlier warrants, the number of suspects wanted by the police has climbed to 18. Of these, 11 are civilians and the rest government officials who include two police officers and two local officials.

Pol Gen Aek Angsananot, deputy national police chief, said today that of the 18 suspects, four have been held in police custody. He, however, made clear that the 38 policemen attached to the police station in Padang Besar who were moved out of the district did not face any charges yet.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ten-more-suspects-sought-for-alleged-involvement-in-rohingya-trafficking

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-07

What a magic strategy- transfer, after transfer, after transfer.

Let's call it the "Mtahth-Procedure" (moving targets are harder to hit).

Meanwhile indirectly came to light that the Reuters article (cited in Phuketwan) does have substance:

On Wednesday, Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwon declared that army chief General Udomdej Sitabutr had ordered the transfer of a Colonel. As a regimental commander in Songkhla he seems to be involved in human trafficking. The name of the officer is withheld. General Prawit said, if it’s true that soldiers are involved in the trafficking of human beings, they would immediately be severely punished- by transfer.

George Carlin is right: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://collectivelyconscious.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/george-carlin-i-have-certain-rules-i-live-by-my-first-rule-i-dont-believe-anything-the-government-tells-me.jpg&imgrefurl=http://collectivelyconscious.net/memes/george-carlin-i-have-certain-rules-i-live-by-my-first-rule-i-dont-believe-anything-the-government-tells-me/&h=392&w=599&tbnid=m5AAO0RdP8vhPM:&zoom=1&tbnh=90&tbnw=138&usg=__oPptfRtnGxVh-bF1quDZUnNvk_Q=&docid=yANAmNWMCIFUlM

Good.

When was the last time someone who was transferred was later fired or convicted of a crime (or even charged)? Either the media is horrible at following up on big corruption stories, or it never happens.

Oh, the irony.

We are all advised to dress properly, when going to immigration, to show respect for Thai officialdom.

When they (the immigration officers) are nothing but common criminals. Just have a look at the carpark at your local immigration office. No way the BMW's and Benz's are paid on a normal salary.

Same goes for the vehicles owned by the police officers and land-office officials.

All corrupt to the core!!

Let me just recap to be sure I understand what has been written.

Police officers were punished . Even Police officers are innocent til proven guilty. So if they were punished, that must mean a very, very speedy judgment somehow. Then they were punished. Did they go to jail?? No, said they were transferred to operations center. That must be a terrible place. What is the punishment???? They had to carry their own bags????

Was said that they were caught and punished very quickly because of astute area commanders knew all of what was going on in that area? Does that mean that the commanders saw something illegal or bad happening and did nothing about it until it broke big time in the International News ?? At that point the commanders knew what was happening but had done nothing herethefor to stop the bad bad things. By doing nothing, were they doing their job??? ..... or worse does that make them complicit in some of the bad things going on........

Oh..... the heck with it .... too confusing for me.

This reeks of "Scapegoat" yes the RTP are often accused or found to be up to no good and probably no exception in this case.

But I ask who has the resources and expertise in the logistics of moving people around en masse?

Because they aren't fired. They keep their rank and paycheck in exchange for not ratting out the big fish.

That is a bit premature.. they are transferred away so they cant interfere with the investigation. Who knows what will happen if they are found to be guilty.

Is that the norm in the USA to just throw someone in jail and find out later if they are guilty ? Where I come from people are put on non-active so they can't come to work during the investigation. Here they transfer them out before the investigation commences.

You can bash Thailand all you want if the investigation does not yield any convictions (and I will join you then) now its a bit premature.

The "norm" in the USA and many western countries, would be immediate suspension without pay, pending investigation, or arrest to prevent witness tampering, depending on the case and the available evidence. They certainly wouldn't be put together in the same place, where they can conspire to beat the case, in air conditioned comfort and with full pay... If you must know.

It is common knowledge that runners at the border posts will facilitate entry and exit for a fee. "Customers" will meet these runners at the border and these runners will drive them across in cars. I have personally witnessed that even Thai workers leaving Thailand with a valid visa to work in Malaysia are required to pay a "processing" fee to the immigration at Sadao and it has been going on for years. When I asked, they replied that if they dont pay, they will be required to undergo a questioning session with the immigration police.

in US you get granted if the victim have a certain skin colour !!

Thai seems have changed faster than US !!

Good.

"Perhaps they have not been fired yet."

Please replace the word "perhaps" with "probably', or delete altogether.

"There is always the little matter of proof of what they have supposedly done before thaey can be charged with a crime."

Quite right, but possibly, the little matter of making arrangements for certain pieces of incriminating evidence to be mislaid/lost - oops, sorry, conspiracy theory.

"They can however be transferred to a place where they can do little damage and an eye can be kept on them."

Or transferred to a place where they can carry out making the above arrangements without anybody keeping an eye on them.