Police chief OK with Army's halt of spy device show

Lite Beer

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Israeli demo of tapping devices, location scanners at special branch cut short

NATIONAL POLICE CHIEF General Somyot Poompanmoung says the military followed correct procedures when it shut down an Israeli company's demonstration of spy devices at Special Branch headquarters on Thursday night.

"What happened is not something alarming or a loss of face," he said yesterday.

Soldiers crashed the demonstration on how to operate tapping devices and location scanners and briefly detained a number of Israelis.

Somyot said he made telephone calls to coordinate between police and the military before the soldiers arrived at the Special Branch office inside the Royal Thai Police compound.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the company did not approach the police through a diplomatic channel like it should have before staging the demonstration.

He said there should be communication between both sides, before extending an apology. He did not identify the recipient of the gesture.

Asked by reporters whether the incident could cause a rift between police and soldiers, he said the media should stop stirring up the issue.

"I just finished saying that both soldiers and police had settled the issue, or do you want the soldiers to fight with the police or what?"

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said special communications and location-scanning devices required a higher level of clearance before they could be brought into Thailand or be demonstrated here.

He said Somyot was contacted by the military before the soldiers entered the police compound, and Somyot ordered a halt to the demonstration.

National Council for Peace and Order spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari had earlier denied the |soldiers used force and drew weapons.

Ten fully armed soldiers from the 2nd Cavalry Division travelling in three Humvees shut down the demonstration citing the military's authority to do so under Article 44 of the interim charter.

The team detained nine Israelis employed by the company, and brought them to the 2nd Cavalry Division compound for a brief detention during which they were questioned.

Winthai said the soldiers had no intent to harm anyone, and police had provided them with information about the device demonstration before they entered the compound.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-chief-OK-with-Armys-halt-of-spy-device-show-30259652.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-09

So, the more they deny something didn't happen the more likely that something did happen! Maybe a Mexican standoff??? I think the fly on the wall knows all!

"Asked by reporters whether the incident could cause a rift between police and soldiers, he said the media should stop stirring up the issue."

The army stopped the police from being able to spy on them and earlier made it sound almost like an accident and misunderstanding.

I can't say the rest of it.

I'd love to hear from Israelis about this whole cock up. Invited by official branch of Thai government that one would assume would have use for equipment, then raided by another branch? On the plus side, now the team can have a junket off to Israel to have a look at the goodies.

I really don't know what you are all whinging about, I am no expert in international import rules but I imagine this would be the process in most other countries.

We all know the internet is awash with this kind of rubbish and similar but cheaper equipment is available, but when a government body or organization wishes to stock up would there not be some kind of protocol to control how this is done?

I would imagine this would be top grade and professional equipment that you would not see on Al! Ba*a or Ama#on, try organizing a similar demo for an agency in many other countries and I think you would have a similar reaction from the relevant authorities (if they become aware of it)

National Police Chief Somyot Poompanmoung said yesterday:

came out to defend the demonstration saying it was merely a misunderstanding caused by misinformation.

same dude says today:

"What happened is not something alarming or a loss of face,"

and tomorrow:

what happened was a planned and well executed action by joint cooperation between police and military.

I really don't know what you are all whinging about, I am no expert in international import rules but I imagine this would be the process in most other countries.

We all know the internet is awash with this kind of rubbish and similar but cheaper equipment is available, but when a government body or organization wishes to stock up would there not be some kind of protocol to control how this is done?

I would imagine this would be top grade and professional equipment that you would not see on Al! Ba*a or Ama#on, try organizing a similar demo for an agency in many other countries and I think you would have a similar reaction from the relevant authorities (if they become aware of it)

Thinking of my country Australia, I doubt very much if the Australian Defence Force is paranoid of any Police activity and the Government generally install their own trusted Police Commissioners.

As for import rules that's the job of the customs authority.

So did they really smuggle the devices into the country? I would imagine they would get information about regulations for importing of wiretapping devices, as they work in the government security industry, it would just be normal. Did they knowingly break these rules, or just didn't do their homework and didn't know about them? Maybe the rules of the game has been changed in the meantime?

There are a lot of questions here, I don't think the "this is the normal way" answer suffices - how could it be normal, does everyone holding a demonstration for the police get detained by the military?

he said the media should stop stirring up the issue. cheesy.gif Yes, bloody media, never stop haunting.... cheesy.gif

"I just finished saying that both soldiers and police had settled the issue, or do you want the soldiers to fight with the police or what?" giggle.gif

Nothing new then..... coffee1.gif

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Israeli demo of tapping devices, location scanners at special branch cut short

NATIONAL POLICE CHIEF General Somyot Poompanmoung says the military followed correct procedures when it shut down an Israeli company's demonstration of spy devices at Special Branch headquarters on Thursday night.

"What happened is not something alarming or a loss of face," he said yesterday.

Soldiers crashed the demonstration on how to operate tapping devices and location scanners and briefly detained a number of Israelis.

Somyot said he made telephone calls to coordinate between police and the military before the soldiers arrived at the Special Branch office inside the Royal Thai Police compound.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the company did not approach the police through a diplomatic channel like it should have before staging the demonstration.

He said there should be communication between both sides, before extending an apology. He did not identify the recipient of the gesture.

Asked by reporters whether the incident could cause a rift between police and soldiers, he said the media should stop stirring up the issue.

"I just finished saying that both soldiers and police had settled the issue, or do you want the soldiers to fight with the police or what?"

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said special communications and location-scanning devices required a higher level of clearance before they could be brought into Thailand or be demonstrated here.

He said Somyot was contacted by the military before the soldiers entered the police compound, and Somyot ordered a halt to the demonstration.

National Council for Peace and Order spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari had earlier denied the |soldiers used force and drew weapons.

Ten fully armed soldiers from the 2nd Cavalry Division travelling in three Humvees shut down the demonstration citing the military's authority to do so under Article 44 of the interim charter.

The team detained nine Israelis employed by the company, and brought them to the 2nd Cavalry Division compound for a brief detention during which they were questioned.

Winthai said the soldiers had no intent to harm anyone, and police had provided them with information about the device demonstration before they entered the compound.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-chief-OK-with-Armys-halt-of-spy-device-show-30259652.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-05-09

It's easy when forang involved

Police and soliders havent fallen out which leaves the blame with the foreigners plus when things are getting to heavy blame the press what I want to know is how the press even knew about this

This was held in the special branch building which only the Israelies, the police and the soldiers

Which tells me there was a whistle blower in tej group who could have staged this whole thing

As very easy to keep quiet

Of course he is! On the surface.

Cowardly "Krengjai" at work again. Can't go around saying how you REALLY feel and making people lose face! Oh No! Just smile and say "OK ... Mai Pen Rai"

wai2.gif

"Asked by reporters whether the incident could cause a rift between police and soldiers, he said the media should stop stirring up the issue."

The army stopped the police from being able to spy on them and earlier made it sound almost like an accident and misunderstanding.

I can't say the rest of it.

This raid happened because the army is de facto in charge of the Customs Department and they weren't sure they were getting their due. They were suspicious that the police tried to import equipment without paying proper duty. This is a huge revenue stream for the military and they can't afford to loosen their grip. The head of the RTA knows this and did not take offense; the army was just protecting its territory.

No one has the guts in this country to stand up to anything the military does, including a police chief.

This is just plain sad.

that's why in the civilized countries it is called a "dictatorship"! how are you going to stand up to a dictator? get in his face and he will throw you in the slammer! hope the businessmen are watching this dog and pony show!

Does anyone really think that 9 Israeli's just walked into Police Headquarters and demonstrated their equipment without having been invited?? I am quite sure they would have had the necessary clearances to bring their working samples into the country!!

Not heard a word from the Israeli's on this!!!

The military is currently the GVT,

and also the police have to follow any orders of the GVT !! Everywhere in the world;

But here it seems it was an attempt from the red coloured RTP,

to get spy devices, to use on collegiues which cooperate with the GVT - Army,

and do use on the Army !!

And for sure this were the small special devices which you put in someones hair and not to be noticed !

For ordinary devices they dont need to call Israelis, and not 9 -- 9 !! of them to demonstrate -

because along of this tracking devices - Wanzen !! you need also to operate the receiver stations,

which would have been in position of some police commander;

I think there is still one question open -

did the order come from Dubai ??

Time for another reminder: Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

A public relations nightmare.

Edited by Benmart