Marriage to hi so girl

PeVee1st

Please elaborate... Do you mean that people insisting to marry for 2 million sin sot can be HI-SO too?

Can a low income family be of the HI-SO category too? If load of money is not the first condition to be regards as HI-SO, then is there other requirements?

Can Mr. Chalermchai Kositpipat the famous builder of Wat Rong Khun considered as HI-SO?

Please elaborate... Do you mean that people insisting to marry for 2 million sin sot can be HI-SO too?

Can a low income family be of the HI-SO category too? If load of money is not the first condition to be regards as HI-SO, then is there other requirements?

Can Mr. Chalermchai Kositpipat the famous builder of Wat Rong Khun considered as HI-SO?

Old money or new money makes for class or crass but in the end money is still money. Great Gatsby was on Thai TV last night. Hi class people of all countries understand Great Gatsby. Lo so people have never seen it.

It is like speaking Latin. Hi so people always speak Latin and lo so people don't, of course that's in addition to having money.

You, as some others here, obviously have no clue what Hi-so (High sociey) is whistling.gif . Money is NOT a requirement....although many in High society do have money, ....AND there are many people that do have money that are not accepted into high society (maybe they're too crass). It refers more to your "status" and acceptance, which therefore can include people who are infuential, fashionable etc.

As for sin sod ....that's a Thai thing (face saving) as to the value of the daughter....Not saying its right or wrong but when a farang is involved, maybe just maybe its a ruse to get as much money as they can from the idiot foreigner....has nothing to do with being Hi-so.

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Yup... I agreed that me and many others here have no slightest clue of what Hi-so mean. Whether it is the family name, up-bringing, influential in the region, etc. Maybe we have mixed up the difference of high profile and Hi-so.

I wonder who is fashionable, influential or what you have describe doesn't have loads of money in that category.

The thread title stated as such - we typed along. In this case, we are talking about this particular girl Hi-so status. As your knowledge in this topic, do you evaluate the possibilities of this girl's Hi-so status? I guess you would say that the OP did not give enough information for evaluation. So, same for us. Money is taken as the criterion for this particular case.

If you are referring to the post I have made earlier about 108 million wedding, please advise your view as is the groom considered high profile or Hi-so?

Old money or new money makes for class or crass but in the end money is still money. Great Gatsby was on Thai TV last night. Hi class people of all countries understand Great Gatsby. Lo so people have never seen it.

It is like speaking Latin. Hi so people always speak Latin and lo so people don't, of course that's in addition to having money.

So money is still in the equation?

Never mind... let the thread dies. Even the OP is no longer in the discussion and my SO SO status will have nothing to do with Hi-so

Yup... I agreed that me and many others here have no slightest clue of what Hi-so mean. Whether it is the family name, up-bringing, influential in the region, etc. Maybe we have mixed up the difference of high profile and Hi-so.

I wonder who is fashionable, influential or what you have describe doesn't have loads of money in that category.

The thread title stated as such - we typed along. In this case, we are talking about this particular girl Hi-so status. As your knowledge in this topic, do you evaluate the possibilities of this girl's Hi-so status? I guess you would say that the OP did not give enough information for evaluation. So, same for us. Money is taken as the criterion for this particular case.

If you are referring to the post I have made earlier about 108 million wedding, please advise your view as is the groom considered high profile or Hi-so?

You obviously did not read all the replies to the post (nor even read beyond the OP) ....which is understandable (over 186 posts)...BUT I did comment on the OP's refering to his new daughter in law to be as being Hi so.

Edited by beachproperty

I have a 19 year old son studying to be an English teacher in the UK (finishes college in June, starts Uni in Sept for another 4 years) and he will be taking a break out here later in the year, and if he told me a tale like the OP has, I would give him a good shake and tell him not to be so stupid. I dont know how old your son is but 2m baht is a fair amount to anyone (unless you're a HiSo!). If it has come from an inheritance, think about the deceased who left that amount. If it has come from hard work, well, what a waste of graft . . .

Seriously mate, he's getting robbed. 1000 baht a night will put a smile on his face EVERY night blink.png

The sin sod was supposed to be for show to save face so my son could invest in the business. The family agreed to this plan, but later changed their minds.

Latest I was told was 2 mill.thb.

Sin Sod is often high, but at hi-so than the parents of the girl give some big present as well.

You pay a Million (2 is really high) and they give a house or a new car or the money back, etc....

If they pocket the money it isn't really hi-so, it is wannabe hi-so or new rich want to get more rich by selling the daughter.

My wife 15 years ago called sin sod, just some tradition...you pay, you show and get it back on the same evening, or it is just a cheque that get returned and that she thought as strange......And she was rich (before 1997 crises

I have a 19 year old son studying to be an English teacher in the UK (finishes college in June, starts Uni in Sept for another 4 years) and he will be taking a break out here later in the year, and if he told me a tale like the OP has, I would give him a good shake and tell him not to be so stupid. I dont know how old your son is but 2m baht is a fair amount to anyone (unless you're a HiSo!). If it has come from an inheritance, think about the deceased who left that amount. If it has come from hard work, well, what a waste of graft . . .

Seriously mate, he's getting robbed. 1000 baht a night will put a smile on his face EVERY night blink.png

1000 baht a night will put a smile on his face EVERY night

I haven't been in the scene for many years, but that is probably about 10 years ago, at least. Unless you live in Nakon Nowhere.

1000 baht a night will put a smile on his face EVERY night

I haven't been in the scene for many years, but that is probably about 10 years ago, at least. Unless you live in Nakon Nowhere.

To be fair mate he'll get his for nothing thumbsup.gif

Have to laugh, that many farangs believe Thai girls with even the remotest of Chinese ancestry are Hi-so, especially considering probably the majority of Thai people have a Chinese ancestor in their family tree somewhere, including women of ill repute and the underclasses of Thai society.

Any decent middle to upper class Thai woman would never consider getting involved with a farang, in fact most Thais believe forming relationships with farangs is a step down the social ladder.

I think that if a farang has to buy his way into a relationship with a Thai woman, says a lot about the lack of amour propre regarding all parties concerned. Anyone willing to pay millions of bahts for the hand of a Thai woman, has to be a very sad individual indeed.

The third paragraph I agree with. The second paragraph is utter rubbish.

I know plenty of Middle to Upper class Thai women whose familes are only too happy for their daughters to marry foreigners. This is the 21st century. Deal with it.

• Like 1

You obviously did not read all the replies to the post (nor even read beyond the OP) ....which is understandable (over 186 posts)...BUT I did comment on the OP's refering to his new daughter in law to be as being Hi so.

Yup... my bad... post number #3 and #6 you did ask a question about sin sot and 2 million baht doesn't seem Hi-so to you. Got it.

Thanks.

Reading back, I still feel funny that "beach" is one of the first in this thread to take money as a measurement for this girl's Hi-so status but instead say we are a joke to do that. Making claim that money is NOT the requirement for Hi-so. He didn't really answer any of my questions too.

Yup... my bad... post number #3 and #6 you did ask a question about sin sot and 2 million baht doesn't seem Hi-so to you. Got it.

Thanks.

Reading back, I still feel funny that "beach" is one of the first in this thread to take money as a measurement for this girl's Hi-so status but instead say we are a joke to do that. Making claim that money is NOT the requirement for Hi-so. He didn't really answer any of my questions too.

Well Austin Chng.....Maybe you should keep reading as your reading comprehension is very poorbah.gif

Since you have problems understanding English I will review and explain to you

My first post Just indicated that I didn't think the family was Hi-so as a result of the families actions as indicated by the OP. (NOthing to do with money as money was never mentioned)...then in a by the way manner I asked how much Sin Sod was. .....THAT'S ALLcoffee1.gif

In my next post When finding out how much Sin Sod was I indicated That OP should grow a pair as he would be the laughing stock of the wedding if he didn't (AGAIN nothing relating to measuring being Hi-so with money)

I my not have answered any of you questions because they are irrelanvent and as such should be ignored just as I will do with you in the future.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yes, English wasn't my mother tongue language and I should keep improving my English. But I'm glad that we are communicating in a language that you understood well. By inquiring about the actions of the families, which is change of plans on the sin sod (which also equal to money) what do you mean by you didn't measured Hi-so using money?

All my questions is about Money and Hi-so and nothing more. What do you mean irrelevant questions?

Isn't you are the one that says money is NOT a requirement for Hi-so? How about just point out a person in Thailand which in your context considered as Hi-so and has no money? See? You are the one that made that statement and I just merely requested you to reinforce your statement.

You know what? Just don't reply anything as you have stated in the previous post. It will just make you look more like a fool.

Btw, don't even think about making an argument with me in my language as you can't even win in your own language.

Edited by Austin Chng

Why does everyone here seem to think that thais having Chinese lineage is a good thing? I don't get it. Last I saw China is still a developing country, even after 5,000 years of culture. Famously responsible only for inventing chopsticks, their greatest achievements seem limited to copying other people's good work. They even had a copy of the iwatch before it was released. Australia has been settled for just over 200 years and is a far more advanced society than the Chinese.

Chinese achievements seem to encompass slightly more than chopsticks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_and_technology_in_China

I'd be minimally curious to learn about tv poster achievements, you first.

and, as far as I know, there's a life in Australia before British colonisation...

Im going to against the trend and not bag the op..............for a few seconds

Anyway. ive got nothing new to add to the previous comments.

However. Years ago i dated a med so girl who was very nice.

She'd pay for places she took me out to. And vice versa. She fit the ideal girl in terms of not being a gold digger according to my beliefs. However the odd occassion shed do small things that i would consider inappropriate eg the two of us were eating out and then her friend would call us over to visit her house after dinner. So she orders 3 to 4 main courses to take away and adds it to the bill (this was one of the occassions i was paying)

On these situations i just chalked it down to cultural. However. We randomly got talking about sin sot one day and she said to me. If we do get married. No need for sin sot. I was happy to hear that and that i had chosen a good girl and not money grubber

Unfortunately we broke up but the point is, some things you can let slide due to cultural differences. Some you simply have to stand your ground absolutely and refuse

To be honest, sometimes even i have no idea wherher its cultural or not

My two baht

• Like 1

Marriage to a Hi-So girl should definitely be worth it. But chances of his girl being hi-so is slim to none.

2 million baht is chump change for your typical hi so. Add another zero to that then we can call it hi-so.

If I had the chance to marry an hi-so I'd definitely jump at the opportunity. You'll be pretty much set if you get marry into a hi-so family, the parents will shower you with gifts, you can use their connections etc etc

Pretty much a lavish lifestyle guaranteed forever.

• Like 1

I'm not really familiar with the practices of so-called hi-so ladies, so let me ask a question in that regard.

When they get tired of a farang husband, do they also have him beaten to death, cut up the body into pieces and then BBQ it?

Or, do they have their own special hi-so approach to dealing with those kinds of situations??? whistling.gif

• Like 2

I find it amusing that typically bottom of the barrell guys in their home country seem to think they get so Hansum when they catch a plane that they are eligible for hi so society!!!!

I would love to marry taylor swift but its going to take another 6 zeros in my bank accountant and for all the stars allign 4 times over for her to even look at me

Are you suggesting women are in it only for the money?whistling.gif

You mean ive been doing it wrong the whole time!?!?!?;)

damn.......

WOW! I was very lucky with my wife farmer's family!

She is a lot younger than myself, very, very beautiful, and without young children.

She owns a small business, and she is an independent homeowner.

We married without party because I didn't had the money to pay for it.

During her family blessing to our marriage, they gave us 20000thb to travel in our honeymoon.

Even now, that we doing better with the business, they keep bringing presents, and helping us with unexpected bills.

Looks like them are HiSo!

Looks like they have hearts of gold. I wish you and your family success and good fortune for the future.

It's refreshing to hear a sincere, genuine and positive story in a country where that is not always the case.

• Like 1

WOW! I was very lucky with my wife farmer's family!

She is a lot younger than myself, very, very beautiful, and without young children.

She owns a small business, and she is an independent homeowner.

We married without party because I didn't had the money to pay for it.

During her family blessing to our marriage, they gave us 20000thb to travel in our honeymoon.

Even now, that we doing better with the business, they keep bringing presents, and helping us with unexpected bills.

Looks like them are HiSo!

Looks like they have hearts of gold. I wish you and your family success and good fortune for the future.

It's refreshing to hear a sincere, genuine and positive story in a country where that is not always the case.

Actually mine was in a small town in northern LOS. Within that little village alone consist of 1 American, 1 Germany, 1 Canadian, 1 Switzerland and hopefully soon another full time Singaporean. They are there for years living happily where the Germany is the longest (more than 10 years). 2 are off-shore employees which goes away for 3-4 months a year and the others are retires.

I think there are a fair amount of positive stories just that negative ones are being discussed frequently here.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that typically bottom of the barrell guys in their home country seem to think they get so Hansum when they catch a plane that they are eligible for hi so society!!!!

I would love to marry taylor swift but its going to take another 6 zeros in my bank accountant and for all the stars allign 4 times over for her to even look at me

Are you suggesting women are in it only for the money?whistling.gif

A hi so farang woman wouldn't typically be interested in a lo so farang man. Hi so Thai women are no different.

• Like 2

Shakira declined my marriage proposal because although i can play guitar i can not sing.