Video: Have shakedowns on foreigners by Bangkok cops resumed?

pinkpanther99

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cops look pissed....lol

more like confused! and the American did not speak Thai or admit he could speak thai forcing the cop to either try english or move on! good move! even though i speak a little thai i always start in english with them to see if they are half smart.

Have to agree with , if this was an American city, the guy would likely be cuffed face down on the pavement in no time flat for talking as aggressively and confrontationally to officers as he did.

That doesn't make it right, of course, but there's not any suggestion of a shakedown in the video.

In less visible and public circumstances I'd say the American, by challenging the authority of RTP officers, would have run the serious risk of having his phone smashed, being roughed up a little and spending a few days at the King's pleasure, with a large contribution to the RTP's welfare fund at the end of it.

He got lucky, IMO.

I always challenge these retarded and I always win ...

That's until you don't.

Don't underestimate the cops as they can turn as and when they so wish. You sound a little too overconfident on the back of your run of good luck.

Pride comes before a fall, literally. Followed by crack over the nut with the baton just so you're reminded of your place in LOS.

It's a jungle out there.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Without a date, an exact location and some context- it's just another video on Youtube.

Context, a location and a date. Still just another video on Youtube...

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/american-journo-stopped-by-thonglor-cops/

Yes your link says it all :

"

As for the over the top video title “Attempted Shakedowns by Bangkok Cops Continuing?”, there is nothing to suggest the officers were going to attempt to hustle either him or his son for a bribe. That is pure speculation on his part as he couldn’t shut his mouth long enough to let the officers speak to explain their reasoning.

All I see is a story full of hot air and a journalist with an obnoxious attitude. Maybe it’s just a slow news week over at Voice of America. Who knows and who really cares?"

One call and they will be reminded of their space in LOS, they just are brainless poor people who do this job because they are not smart enough and do not have enough contacts to do a better one, so yes, I always remind them who they are !

I always challenge these retarded and I always win ...

That's until you don't.

Don't underestimate these guys as they can turn as and when they so wish. You sound a little too overconfident on the back of your run of good luck.

Pride comes before a fall, literally. Followed by crack over the nut with the baton just so you're reminded of your place in LOS.

It's a jungle out there.

" I am from united states of america" SO WHAT??? Your portrait yourself as an arrogant typ of foreigner...

I personally dislike that type of behavior actually!! He must have thought that coming from USA does matter!! Who the F,ck cares???

Glegolo

I always treat these nickel-plated Saturday night specials with respect and NEVER act aggressive, they still have the guns and it's THEIR country. I've never paid a bribe, but I've never been taken in to a precinct for a trumped up charge, either.

One call and they will be reminded of their space in LOS, they just are brainless poor people who do this job because they are not smart enough and do not have enough contacts to do a better one, so yes, I always remind them who they are !

Seriously, don't kid yourself. One call to whom exactly?

Will be far too late when you're in the back of the monkey wagon on the way to the peace and tranquility of Thong Lor cop shop. Then you can give it the big 'un all you like. You may well place yourself in serious danger of a proper kicking.

Tact and diplomacy at all times if you value your health.

I know what I'm talking about, but, still, you seem to know best. Good luck with that.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Why do people think they have the right to 1.) film someone without permission and 2.) question and badger and film the police? The guy deserved to be put face down into the pavement.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to video law enforcement officers who stop them? And if the police stop someone, don't they have the right to question why they're stopped? Not specifically referring to this video (although I can't work out if the guy is dumb or smart for using words like 'request' which someone with a poor grasp of English will have no chance of understanding, which of course renders the whole dialogue pointless- but maybe that was the point).

Have to say I disagree with you. I think people should be allowed to ask the police why they've been stopped. And if they feel they've been stopped without a good reason I think they should be allowed to film the encounter. I guess some people are more in favour of a police state type approach though.

If and when a cop or cops do stop a foreigner or foreigners on the street, like you see in the video, the police are looking to stop far more cooperative foreigners who are intimidated by the police.

The sleazy police officers ( the ones that are ) easily recognize who is going to be an easy mark or far easier mark verses who is going to be a difficult mark.

They move on and cruise around looking for opportunities while you may happen to be a possible opportunity for them...that is, for the police that are looking for some money making opportunities.

Cheers

Seriously, don't kid yourself. One call to whom exactly?

Will be far too late when you're in the back of the monkey wagon on the way to the peace and tranquility of Thong Lor cop shop. Then you can give it the big 'un all you like. You may well place yourself in serious danger of a proper kicking.

Tact and diplomacy at all times if you value your health.

I know what I'm talking about, but, still, you seem to know best. Good luck with that.

He is a perfect example of someone talking out of their backside.

Putting aside no one to call, this internet hero does not even comprehend that being policeman is a lucrative job in Thailand , to become one , not only they must know someone but also make donations to get in.

And should they chose to, they can arrest you for no reason at all and lock you up for no reason at all, then "misplace " paperwork with no cosequences for them at all.

As for making a call, yeah if they kind enough to let you make one.

I think people should be allowed to ask the police why they've been stopped. And if they feel they've been stopped without a good reason I think they should be allowed to film the encounter. I guess some people are more in favour of a police state type approach though.

Film the encounter at your leisure. But it may well exacerbate a problem that doesn't exist.

It would appear a little too defensive to me for what might be an entirely innocent exchange with the local BIB.

Up to you.

Why do people think they have the right to 1.) film someone without permission and 2.) question and badger and film the police? The guy deserved to be put face down into the pavement.

The top guy confirmed filming police is allowed, after all the recent news about these stop and searches. If you don't know what you're talking about don't comment.

Pol Lt Gen Prawut has come out and said that people are allowed to film themselves being stopped by the police in public.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/129271/reports-on-bangkok-shakedown-generate-surprising-police-response/